Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT - got a full house this weekend otherwise would offer a room. Let me know if you fancy heading to Bristol early for an assault on our local parkrun hill.

Jools - sorry to hear about the cat, our neighbours housecat has gone misso g too, hope it turns up.

Small varied track session last night, managed to get a 300m PB in 48secs which was probably the only good rep. Killer PT session at lunch followed by a struggle of a 6 miler in the wind up the hills. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Dt its hard to get back at it after the hols but sure you can manage it.
    Jools sorry to hear that but there is still some hope yet we had one cat was away for a week before , came back about half the weight as she probably got locked in somewhere. We had 5 cats then down to 4 but a young passing stray saw a vacancy sign last month and has setup home and we are back up to 5 again !!!
    Nicko nice to get a pb no matter what !
    SBD cracking month think I had 341m as a max ever so fair play.

5m easy yesterday and up today after nights for 6 x 400m reps along the road paces about 6:10m/m with a 5:55 to finish , felt like a hard session  but need to get more of these over the next few months.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Makes sense PMJ - so definitely no more marathons?

That's a lot of swimming in the week Gul - will you switch to running for the London campaign?

A good 10 miles DT - it's never easy returning from holiday!

Hope the missing cat turn up Jools.

Good speed work and a nice PB nicko.

Nice turn of speed on the 400m reps Leslie.

Intervals for me tonight as well, five sets of 1K with 500m jog recovery.  Splits of 3:45, 3:45, 3:45, 3:45 and 3:40.  It's been a while since I did any intervals so it felt like hard work but the HR only got up to 173 so I may need to push a bit harder next time!

• He's home! Club session with a clear conscience tonight.
  • SBD. said:

Makes sense PMJ - so definitely no more marathons?

That's a lot of swimming in the week Gul - will you switch to running for the London campaign?

Intervals for me tonight as well, five sets of 1K with 500m jog recovery.  Splits of 3:45, 3:45, 3:45, 3:45 and 3:40.  It's been a while since I did any intervals so it felt like hard work but the HR only got up to 173 so I may need to push a bit harder next time!

Good km reps. The reps are a bit long to get the HR really high: you will hit maximum HR on an all-out 400m rep. Anyway, using the 200 minus age formula, 173 is pretty high.

I wouldn't say definitely no to a marathon but unlikely.

London changed the GFA rules this year so I'm 53 

GFA 50-54 was 3:15:00 (73.5% WAVA aged 53)
    GFA 50-54 is 3:12:20 (74.5% WAVA aged 53)
    GFA 55-59 was 3:20:00 (73% WAVA aged 55)
    GFA 55-59 is 3:17:20 (74% WAVA aged 55)

so maybe I need to catch that age group change when I turn 55, so that would mean running a qualifying marathon when I have turned 55 (so spring 2021 after I change age groups in Sep 2020) and then use that to enter London 2022 and that would be 10 years since my 2012 race so a nice anniversary. 

Having said that, it is a bit of a faff. I ran the Chiltern Marathon two years ago and it is a Sunday start. I left home at 08:00, drove 4 miles, paid £5 registration fee, started, finished, drove home and was bathed and changed by 13:30. 

For the London marathon, it takes longer than that to visit the Expo.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Glad to hear the cat is back, Jools. I recall when mine were younger and would disappear like that.

Leslie, 5 cats!! We peaked at 3 and that often felt like too many!! Nice session!

Nice 300m, Nicko. Thanks, but I can barely get up for parkrun when it is on my doorstep let alone 70 miles away. I shall enjoy a leisurely start Saturday (that's a runners leisurely start not a couch potato) and go to spin at 9.30.

Nice intervals, SBD. You are certainly putting some graft in!!

PMJ, I find that I need 1k-1m reps to max my hr out as shorter reps don't give enough time to build the intensity. Perhaps I am not doing out and out proper shorter reps then?

Interesting looking at the wava calcs above. At 43 and needing 3.02.20 that gives a 71.97 wava. At the top end of the open cat (39), 2.57.20 only gives a 71.59 wava. When I move to the v45, 3.07.20 trequires 71.26 wava. Odd that, that isn't a factor and using that scale clearly discriminates against older men.

I binned off last nights easy 4 as I was on my arse with fatigue. Was sleeping by 9.30 and feel much better today so hopefully 6m over lunch. Need to start entering some Autumn races.

• DT - a busy few days ahead then. My miles per run is pretty  much back to normal, but runs per week is down from 5 to 3.
    Jools - oh no, really sorry to hear about your cat. Hope they are back now. He is! Hurray!
    nicko  - very fast 300m - nice one.
    Leslie - good reps.
    SBD - excellently executed interval session. I am curious as to whether continuing with 3 swimming sessions will get me back to the same level of fitness or not, but will almost certainly introduce 1 or 2 recovery runs over the next 2 or 3 months (assuming I can squeeze them in somewhere). I would like to keep the swimming going but will have to wait and see how it goes.
    PMJ - thanks for reminding about Expo :(
    12 miles this morning gradually moving through the gears, although not strictly progressive, from 9:12 to 7:08 and averaging 8:06.
  • DT19 said:

PMJ, I find that I need 1k-1m reps to max my hr out as shorter reps don't give enough time to build the intensity. Perhaps I am not doing out and out proper shorter reps then?

Yes, it is a bit of an oddity. The suggested way to hit max HR is to do a good warm-up and then do about a lap at a pretty fast tempo and then a lap at full effort. If you do one lap at max effort from resting then you are right and you won't hit max HR but also with the 1k reps you are probably sub-maximal.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    SBD only 173 bpm !, I'm sure you can do better than that but you are super fit now , I haven't wore a chest strap for ages but it certainly feels like my heart is near 200 bpm like it used too on the 400's ...Will see if it still works soon hopefully, nice reps anyway.
    Jools really pleased for you , should put a spring in your step again.
    PMJ You were proper fast in your 20's but those GFA times make my head spin I could barely scrape 3:12 when I was going really well and I was only 45 not the 54 you have to be now to qualify ! GFA is more like mission impossible for an average to half decent club runner , Out of our little club marathon group there is only 1 person from about 50 could get in with a GFA .
    DT they sleep most of the time and I always was around cats growing up from no age , I didn't want 5 either but a couple if we didn't take them in they wouldn't be here now . 3:07 at 45 is faster than I ever went (3:10) not sure I could make that sort of time either really you have to be in the top 3000 in the uk now which is quite a feat ,not sure how many of each age group but say top 500 in your age group for whole of the uk , quite an ask ! Sometimes rest is better than training .
    GUL nice progressive 12 slotting back in where you left off .

5m easy( 8:55 av) after nights again.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019

Back in February the HR was getting as high as 180 on the 1K interval sessions.  If I race a 5K, it'll usually be in the 175 to 180 range.  I decided not to check the HR during yesterday's session, but clearly I wasn't pushing hard enough! 

Interesting reflections on the London GFA times.  I ran my first marathon as a V45 hoping to achieve the 3:15 GFA qualification time to run London the following year.  With the right training this seemed achievable whereas 3:07 would have felt out of reach. 

I try to avoid max HR tests and intervals less than 1K, but I would expect the HR to reach 185.

So no interest in Comrades or something like the Bob Graham Round PMJ?

Good recovery miles Leslie.

Nice progression through the gears Gul.

Sounds like you need a target race to get you motivated DT.

Good to see the cat has returned Jools.

8 recovery miles on the treadmill this afternoon.  HR very low (avg 123 at 8:20 pace) - not sure if that was the new shoes or a sign of improved fitness! Got a bit bored after 6 miles so increased the pace to 7:55 which helped to pass the time.

• 5 X '1K' last night (the loop is short): 3.46, 3.40, 3.38, 3.38, 3.40. Pretty pleased as even allowing for an extra 30-50m I was comfortably under 4 for each. Tired legs this morning, though!
  • Leslie - how often do you switch shifts? 
    SBD - if you want a low HR, get an optical / wrist HRM - mine is rubbish. Today, it measure the average HR for my swim as 62! In your case, I think it's definitely a sign of improved fitness :)
    Jools - nicely executed interval session - should give you a confidence boost.
    Swim day today, as mentioned. Let's see if I can wake up a bit earlier this Saturday!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice reps, Jools. 

Solid 12, Gul.Enjoy the swim. 

SBD, that is pretty low for an 8m run at any sort of pace. 

Easy 6 yesterday and 4 this morning. Just easing back into miles slowly so no session until later next week. My target half is 4 weeks sunday, though I've not entered it yet. Want to get a confidence boosting session in before i do so i know the 80m drive won't be a complete waste.

Jools/Nicko- Sunday i might try and run in Bristol before setting off (dependant on how messy Saturday is). I need 12m and staying on Anchor road. Logically running up portway to shirehampton and back seems sensible, however i suspect that'll leave me a good bit short of 12. Any suggestions on loops to bulk it out? 
  • DT - portway and back would be OK but very dull; if you want to keep it flat then I'd recommend going out on the towpath the other side of the river out to Pill and back which is a nice run  - basically keep going until you reach a nice fishing lake then turn back.

Alternatively, if you want to put in some hills and get a really nice route there's many options that will take in some sights of Bristol, I can do you some quick strava ideas if you want.

This one has almost 100ft of elevation, but takes you past SS Great Britain, Ashton Court Estate (including the Parkrun route), over the suspension bridge, around the downs, through Clifton and down Brandon Hill back to Anchor Rd. Lots of great views:

https://www.strava.com/routes/21565576 

Some easy recover miles Weds after another killer PT strength session and 9 miles with 1K intervals last night; managed 4 @ 3:30 and a cruisy one at 3:45. Peak HR hitting 198 as I pushed the final straights; mine always runs high.

Jools - just read your post - were you at Keith's harbour session last night too? Yes it runs a little short but I allow the bends and cobbles to make up a few seconds!

• Yes, I was in the Chicago tshirt/striped crop top, hanging off the back of group 2!
  • DT19: Nicko's suggestions are good ones. The Port way is easy from a not getting lost point of view, but the towpath on the other side is nicer. Cross the river at the Pump House pub then take the cycle path on your right to cross the second bit of river (the bridge is shared with a guided bus way). Cross the bus way and turn right for a pleasant run along the bottom of the gorge.
  • Joolska said:
    Yes, I was in the Chicago tshirt/striped crop top, hanging off the back of group 2!
    Looks like I need to pay more attention to what's going on - was also in group 2 just about hanging on with Josh at the front; blue shirt - only managed 4 good reps though, think there's only been one time I made all 6!
  • I was a bit surprised at the pace I was managing (seeing as I did Cardiff @ 4.01/km on Sunday) so decided 5 was enough, especially as I'm only targetting halves this autumn so don't need the extra volume.  Plus I wanted to be home by 8.30 if I could as I hate eating late.  Keith's sessions are good, but I wish the drills didn't take quite so long at the start...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Thanks for your input both.

I think I would want to keep it flat as if it does happen I will be hungover to some degree. I am not too concerned re the sights as I lived there for 7 years so seen plenty of them all, albeit I never ran when I lived there. The tow path option sounds decent if I do get out though.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    oh and what is this new facebook option on posts about? Not sure i'd want to share my mindless running chat to the FB world as they wouldn't appreciate it!
  • Jools - yes the duration of Keith's drills is a running joke amongst some of the club.

DT - towpath definitely the nicest option then if you want to avoid any hillage; alternatively Bristol to Bath cyclepath is an old classic.
  • GUL My shift pattern is now 2 days, 2 off , 3 days 3 off ,3 nights 3 off , 2 days 2 off , 4 nights 4 off ( all 12 hr shifts) it was 4 days 4 off , 4 nights 4 off but we are having a shift trial at the minute. The old shift was very long and tiring and bad for training due to fatigue if I ran say after 4 shifts like I used too but I haven't done enough volume this last 2 years for it to be a problem !
    Nicko impressive hr you were working hard !
    Jools good consistent reps there .
    DT Id agree on the facebook link won't be much craic outside here lol

5 slow ones today struggling a bit after nights but there is a little local 10k on sunday I will give a lash so will have a rest tomorrow .

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Looking in good shape for Sunday's 10K Leslie.

Good reps from Jools and nicko.

Getting back on the miles nicely DT.  Which HM do you have in mind?

Good luck on the early start Gul.  I have take my son to rowing for 8am so an early run is not really an option.

A steady 11 miles this evening just catching the last of the daylight.  A bit sluggish to start with but picked it up after 6 miles and went through the gears from 8:00 to 7:00 m/m pace and then threw in a last mile of 6:15 for good measure.  It always amazes me how a run can start off as a real grind and then you find a bit of speed at the end to finish on a high.  

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Blimey that took some catching up! The main thing though is that the cat came home👍
    PMJ it would be great to see you back at VLM but do get your lack of motivation to make it happen.
    DT I guess you didn't enter Brass Monkey this week- I'll be back for another visit in January.
    I hurt my hip mid week and have mainly been swimming. A total of 7k this week.
    I've also picked up a late entry for GNR. If I can get round without hip trouble I'll aim for sub 1:25, starting from zone B which is behind 3000 runners. Should be fun either way. I'm pacing 22 mins at parkrun today.
  • Good luck on the 10k tomorrow Leslie
    SBD - 
    that's a decent 11 miler there, nice when it comes together at the end.
    OO - that's a decent target for GNR, with your speedy summer you should be in good form for it, nice to spend it passing people as well.

Bad parkrun this morning, set off behind the guy I wanted to stick to and finally get the sub-20 at Ashton Court but by the time I got to the top of the first hill my legs were shot - progressive 5 last night was probably a bad idea - so limped up to the top then spotted a mate who had arrived late so waited for him then we blasted down the hills; picked up some PRs on the way down so not all bad.

15 planned tomorrow should bring me to a decent number for the week and 10 days in a row, need some rests before Bristol Half though.
  • I'd say that 5 X 1km Thursday, 5 progressive Friday and then tough parkrun Saturday was ambitious, Nicko. You need to spend some quality time with the hard/easy principle. And if you "can't " run easy, rest!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Conditions looking good for GNR tomorrow, shame I’m in the B pen. 
    21:55 for parkrun, 5 secs inside my pacer target. Pacing is surprisingly difficult!
  • Yeah definitely felt those sessions in the legs over the past few days.

Easy 15 of mixed terrain and hills this morning @ 7:55 average. Lovely run and rounds off 55 miles for the week which is pretty big for me. Few rest days needed next week.

Good luck OO, look forward to hearing the result
  • SBD cracking bit of speed at the end on tired legs.
    0054 sure you will be past nearly all 3000 by the end !
    Nicko maybe pushing a bit too hard with 2 speed sessions in one day but 10 in a row sounds like you are going the right way.

Clady community 10k:

The field was much smaller than I thought and was well under 50 runners in the 10k, there was a 5k as well (its only ran once before ) It runs across the border between northern Ireland and the south of Ireland on very quiet roads .
    We were off and it was flat with a little bit of a climb starting after half a mile , I knew the first half had plenty of climb but things were going well and a 6:58 was posted ,2 young girls were passed up the hill and mile 2 became a lot more uphill than Id have liked but a fairly hard  effort saw 7:24. For another 0.6 of a mile till we hit the summit things got steeper and steeper with every little hill and there was no letup in the climbing and pace when I looked at the top was a disappointing 8:30m/mile  ! Really struggling by the time I reached the top !
        From here it was down hill and I pulled mile 3 back to a 7:23 and passed a runner at the top as I hurled myself down the hill , mile 4 was mostly down thankfully and some time was clawed back with a 6:53 average for mile 4. The guy now in front had walked all the steepest parts but could fly downhill and although I caught him on each up ,he left me on the downs . On mile 5 the gap was a consistent 50m or so but I couldn't close it at all despite a 6:24 mile 5 and a 6:49 mile 6 which had another slight climb but every hill now winded me and 6:31 for the last 0.2 to give me a time of 43:14 , a full 1 min 15 faster than 2 and 1/2 weeks ago on a harder course and with a half in my legs from last week.

Jools is right its like getting new pb's all over again when you have been a bit sh*te for a considerable time and at the current rate of progression my 10k pb of 40:07 from years ago could be in danger next year lol ...

• Well done Leslie! That's a grateful improvement.

16 here. Legs are a bit creaky, especially right hamstring/calf, so my cut back week to let the legs freshen up for next week's half is well timed!