Sub 3h15

Comments

• SBD. said:

Getting close PMJ.  I've not done Rickmansworth - do you think this is faster than Black Park?

I think it probably is but you always need a few runs on a course to get the feel of it. I pace at Black Park once a month so know the course so maybe Balck Park will be better for me. 
  • SBD - Low carb ish yesterday and today and then will go carb heavy Thursday/Friday. Keeping it a bit more measured this time as I overdid it before Manchester and felt bloated and rubbish on the Friday. Saturday will be light carbs and we've booked an Italian for dinner, its a tradition now! Hope the session goes well.

Nicko - Great progression run, especially if it felt comfortable. Good luck in the 5k tonight!

G-Dawg - I think we've settled on the bus tour & boat trip, thanks for the tip!

Thanks for al the support guys, muchly appreciated! 5m easy last night, made up for missing the rain on Sunday by getting completely drenched. 4m inc 4 x 1min tonight then just 30m easy on Thursday before heading down to London
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Sounds like a good nutrition plan Stevie.

I noticed pacers at Black Park parkrun a few weeks back - is this a nationwide initiative?  It seems to run against the parkrun ethos.

Good progressive session nicko - hope the 5K went well.

Intervals this afternoon - 5 sets of 1,200m with 600m jog recoveries.  I quickly realised 1,200m intervals are a lot more painful than 1,000m.  Splits of 4:24, 4:25, 4:23, 4:24 and 4:20.  4K w/u and w/d to give 17K for the day.

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    DT its hard to get the ballast off , i got 3kg of in the last 2 months makes a world of difference but I'm still a good 11kg over race weight , now 79kg used to race at 68kg ! Might have to get the huel out yet lol 
    PMJ course doesn't sound the best so only a matter of time to sub 20 again
    Stevie we have all carb overloaded before its no good ,the idea is to cut back on everything else and replace with carbs not have a banquet as it all needs hauled to the line ! I think just eating hwhat you normally eat can work just fine ...
    SBD I saw a post that there were now pacers at my local one so must be at all of them, nice reps there ! 2:54 then is the target for you and should be very doable going by current form !
    Nicko how did the 5k go ?

Club session choice of  long hill reps (1200's) continuous  or short fast time based hill intervals so took the speedy option.

5x 1 minute with walk jog back down about 6:10 pace up
    5x 45 secs about 5:30 pace up
    5x 30 secs was thrashed by these having led virtually every other rep all the way and from 15 secs each rep on these no matter how hard I tried guys just flew past me .The pace felt completely flat out for the first half (then I started going backwards) but garmin says otherwise as I forgot to press the lap each time ..doh !

• Not a good result at the 5K tonight - total rookie error on my pacing and actual way of gauging my pace (i.e. not bothering to look at my watch) - so came into the finish thinking I had gone sub 18:30 however it turned out I was only sub 19:30. No wonder it kind of felt OK.

Lesson learnt, it's a cheap, local race and the first in the series so plenty of time to nail it.

Sounds like some hard sessions SBD and Leslie. Agreed 1200s are much worse than 1k, anything that's not a sensible distance kind of throws you off.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Bad luck Nicko. 
    I think pacing is only bigger parkruns with enough runners. Mine is every 4 weeks and very low key. I’ve paced 3-4 times and not had many runners following. I think it’s a good initiative for those who want to improve and others just ignore.

Big swim and 7 mile run today felt good.
  • Just to cIarify wasn't a pacer - just judged my own pce wrong.
  • Just a quick check in. Last week was a cut back week and this week is my last full week before the Oct. 20th marathon. Today was an interesting session. Did 13M w/10 at subLT pace. But did this in the new Nike Next% shoes. I was underwhelmed. Ran a good session (first fast mile was 6:30, then 8 in the low 6:40s, then a 6:20 final mile), but these paces are not much better than I have done on this same course in my Kinvaras the past month. Lots of variables could be at play though (not much sleep lately; stomach not great the past few days; was windy today). So maybe in my Kinvaras this would have been a much slower run. Or maybe I don't foot strike to get the optimal benefits. I'll say this though. They are really nicely cushioned shoes and I could see them at minimum leaving legs less beat up later in the race. I think I will try another subLT session next week to see if anything changes. Interesting experiment, but too $$ if these don't deliver any more speed.
  • Rest day for me yesterday and off for a cautious easy run shortly as I turned my ankle on a conker on Monday. I think it's okay to run again, but feeling a bit nervous...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    VT you should try the cheaper ZF Flyknits. Same carbon fibre plate, good fit and cushioning and about £90. I’ve used them for everything this season from track to marathon and can’t think of a better shoe for the money.
    Bad luck Jools- bloody conkers!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Howdy, i dont post here nowadays as im not always up an current happenings, so just a couple of comments.....

SBD - nice ne on the 1/2, i did very similar Sunday, with only an easy couple of dsys before, but was on 93 for the 7 days ending Wednesday, so we should be in similar shape for Abo.

OO - i bought a pair of flynits several months ago and have put them away for after Abo (i have to earn them by going fast enough at Abo first, they remain unused). They have been discontinued so if you like them then its worth knowing that you can currently get them for £69 direct from nike.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, hard luck on the 5k. I find that I settle into 10k pace in a 5k if I don't get my eye on the gps.

My two most local parkruns do a monthly pacer week and have done for some time. The whole ethos of parkrun is riddled with contradictions in my view. Not in a  negative view, however I just find it very contrary when people insist it isn't a race when then on a Saturday morning all I see are posts from people celebrating a pb, complaining they have been missed off a time based results list, or were in a certain age group position.

Stevie, very excited for you and what you can get Sunday.

SBD- I hadn't noted the reduced gfa for Berlin for 45-59. That doesn't seem so out of this world to achieve.

Session yesterday of 6 x 1m at hmp with the plan of started sensibly and pushing towards threshold/10kp in 2nd half. First reps were 6.22, 6.20 and 6.16 and felt reasonably controlled. Then I went off much too fast for the first half of rep 4 and rained it in for 6.13, but I had done the damage. Reps 5 and 6 were 6.19 and 6.26.

Easy 7 when home later. I seem to have made some inroads on the weight finally. I was 3lb lighter today than midweek last week. Hopefully that wasn't for some other reason such as a difference in hydration levels.

• 8 miles was ok and sports masseur's view (fortuitously I had a session booked today!) was that it isn't too serious, but take it easy.

Nicko: I think you'd done a progression run the night before the 5k, which would have affected your time.  I prescribe fewer sessions and more easy runs in the days before you race if you're going to fulfill your potential in races!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Good news on the ankle Jools - you must be due a bit of good fortune.

That's still a good mile reps session DT and good work on the weight reduction.

An excellent result at Sunday's HM TR - you must have beaten me (virtually) by a few seconds!  With all the miles under your belt you should be due a good run at Abingdon.  Not quite sure on my time ambitions yet, but I'd like to beat my PB from 2010 (2:58:43).

Interesting VT! See how it goes next week.

It's good to have a regular evening 5K to race at nicko - hope the pace judgement works better at the next one!

Another good short rep session Leslie.  Are you getting some long runs in as well?  A few more weeks before I need to think about a target pace - 2:54 would be nice with Berlin in mind - but I still need to convince myself it's not overambitious!

A very sluggish 15 miles late afternoon in the light drizzle.  The legs took a bit of encouragement to get going and it was a bit of a metal battle not to cut the run short.  So first 10 miles at 7:53 pace.  Still feeling lethargic at this point but made myself pick the pace up - so the last five miles at 6:44 pace.  Hard work but feeling better for having got the run completed. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SBD - 5 secs in it ! You're well placed for a decent pb then. You do a lot of sessions/runs that i think id struggle to match, and i think im in sub 255 shape  but i rarely chase pace in training. Id like to knock more off that 82mins on a better course at Gosport in November (with fresher legs too), but its only 4 weeks after Abo.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Nicko not to worry there are plenty more races and for 5k you must keep a close eye on that garmin .
    VTR 10m at 6:40 is fairly rocking it !
    Jools that unfortunate hope its better soon again so you can push on a bit 
    TR I remember your sub 3 streak of very little running mileage with lots of cycling but you seem to me making up for it now !
    DT nice mile reps and fairly consistent if not getting faster .
    SBD its always hard to pick a target and go for broke , no long runs for me till after my 5k early October then I will start doing them again more interested in speed for now and id have to sack a session to long run . I won't be racing any  half's till next march at the earliest so no panic , speed then distance !!!...Nice 15 on tired legs .

5 easy ones tonight with lunges and glute bridges after most nights to try and keep my left glute pain in check,another long term annoyance  !

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Leslie - i had to stop running for a few months in 2016 due to injury (some sort of groin/tummy hernia thing) and had over a year with only very short runs. Late 2017 i made a go at getting sub3 again before i get too old, so im only running nowadays. Its taken ages to get the sub3 fitness back.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear from you TR and pleased with the improvement you have clearly made.
    Great news Jools, as said you deserve a bit of luck👍
  • TR, glad to hear you've come all the way back. I also got hurt like you describe in 2017. Took me a long time this year to train myself back into proper form. But was glad to see it happen. Hopefully you'll have a good race.

Jools, what is a conker? Whatever it is, I'm glad you are OK.

Gdawg, how are you doing with your comeback? Hopefully you haven't had anymore setbacks.

Leslie, like the focus on the shorter faster stuff for now. I keep vowing to focus on speed. But last year when I tried, I found I didn't have the proper fitness to really do the speedwork, if that makes any sense. But I did enjoy life without runs of over 13 miles (esp. in the winter!). Nice work this week (esp the strength work!).

OO, I'll have to check those shoes out. I have to admit I'm a bit disappointed that I didn't see more from these shoes. But I have had the odd subLT session recently where I was just slow by 10-15 secs per mile. Oh well, the next try should be revealing.

SBD, that is a good long run effort. I always feel so good when I get that run in that I found so hard to motivate myself to do. Pretty strong finish.

DT, those miles sounded tiring. Tough workout and good job finishing strong.

10 miles for me today. Legs a little sore from yesterday (showing that the Nike shoes actually tax my muscles differently considering I never get sore from that type of running in my normal shoes). Feeling pretty tired overall. Must work on getting more sleep! But beautiful sunny fall (autumn!) day here. Love running at this time of year.
  • VTR: horse chestnut? I don't know the word in American English if that doesn't help!
  • Sorry not to have posted for a couple of weeks. Things have been manic at work (still are a bit!) with 4 audits last week. Got too busy to do any running for a few days; coming into work at 5am including the weekend :( But all provisionally passed with no major issues :) Will try and catch up soon! 
  • SBD. said:

I noticed pacers at Black Park parkrun a few weeks back - is this a nationwide initiative?  It seems to run against the parkrun ethos.

Pacers are recognised by parkrun as a volunteer role. Black Park is particularly well organised in that respect so first Saturday of the month there are pacers every minute from 20 or 21 down to 38. I don't really know what the parkrun ethos is to say if it is in line or not. The trouble is that they want to be inclusive and that means all they can really say is "parkrun is good". I just looked at their twitter feed and they have stories such as a 67 year old who started parkrun and went onto run a marathon and woman who lost 5 stone and they are all good stories but their ethos is not "run parkrun and lose weight" so why are they celebrating such? There will be people who object to such stories as it suggests that being heavy is bad (and of course it is but we live in a PC world ...).

By the way, your running seems to be going from strength to strength. Any particular reasons you can think of to explain that as you are not new to running so have not got that as an excuse.
  • Jools - good to hear that the conker didn't damage you too much - dangerous things those; got my knuckles split open during a particularly feisty game at school :smiley:

Hopefully the weather holds out for Saturday morning so I can find a flattish parkrun like Cardiff and get a half decent 5K in - at least beat my parkrun PB which still isn't below 20mins.

11 miles treadmill tonight, with 6 x 1mile off 3minute slow jog. Miles from 6:13 down to 5:59 pace. Had an annoying day so just needed to set the pace and stick it out rather than manually push my legs; so I know its nto the best session but got to be done now and then.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

PMJ - I've had a good run of consistent training since November 2018, so other than 5 days down time post Boston, no significant non-running periods and no injuries.  That's c. 3,200 miles for just short of eleven months.  I got the mileage back up reasonably quickly after Boston and made sure I maintained a weekly 10K tempo run.  For the current campaign, I'll have completed 13 weeks on Sunday, essentially following P&D.  I usually find this is the point where I'm at my fittest and PBs are possible.  Still a lot to do in the next three weeks to get in optimal shape!

Interesting comments on the parkrun pacers.  I still find it very strange but if it makes the majority of runners happy then that's OK!

Speedy mile reps nicko.  It shouldn't be too difficult to get the parkrun time below 20 minutes.

Good to hear the audits went well and you're not on the bench Gul.

Another 10 miles in the bank VT.  Are you doing a 3-week taper?

Good easy miles Leslie - need to keep that glute issue under control.

I've just been following P&D TR - the only quality sessions are what they prescribe!  I lack natural speed so I have to work hard at the speed sessions to make gains.

8 recovery miles with strides at lunch-time followed by the sports massage.  Just a couple of more runs before the taper ...

• Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    Tr I see yes getting back after time out is one hell of a hill to climb as we get older , 2017 was probably the last time I followed sub3 thread as I was sure I was on for a sub 3 , how wrong I was lol , been pretty much injured constantly from may 17 till recently and only starting to get back at it and still not right yet but its been brutally tough this time to get started again .......much much harder than any other comeback ...
    VTR I think the more speed work you do the easier it get like most things but rest is crucial , I was wiped out after Tuesdays thrashing and was in bed very early but then I was coming of night shift and swapping round to getting up at 6am again 3 days later. I had another speed session tonight and my legs just didn't have it but still a useful session on very tired legs.
    GUL I hope normal service resumes shortly sounds like hell at work .
    Nicko for a man who hasn't yet bust 20 min at parkrun those mile reps are lightening fast ! take it easy now and that pb is for the taking ...
    SBD that's some mileage in less than a year ,fair play . The glute exercises are helping but no miracle cure but will stick with them and if I didn't run injured id never run at all .

Working so missed the club session had choice of 5k or 60 mins and didn't fancy either so 3 x 1 mile outside work in torrential rain as it was getting dark, the road was flooded at an island so I got showered on every lap by passing cars and again a whole lanes width round one corner  which if I had met a car there I would have got washed away with a wall of water as it was about 4 inches deep and about 20 metres long , pavement flooded too so just powered on through it in the shallow parts where only 1 inch of water , nice !
    I think the sheer amount of water on me was slowing me down( feeble excuse lol ) and the reps were 6:45, 6:55 and 6:56 all with 2 mins jog between , there was a bit of a hill in the lap and after Tuesdays hill reps my legs were very tired so I was happy enough to be sub 7 !

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited September 2019
    OO - you are still racing well.

VT - takes a long time to get back though.

OO - P and D is working for you, backing up campaigns helps. P and D is about getting strong and the marathon is a game of strength for mortal level runners.
  • Jools, I trashed my ankle a few years ago stepping on a rock (night run) about the same size and shape as a conker! Was brutal. Glad you came through OK.

Nicko, that’s a hell of a session on a treadmill. Think you will do great in the 5K.

SBD, holy miles batman! Super impressive. Not surprised you are killing it. Am envious. And I am indeed doing a 3 week taper. I hate the taper. My mind always says I’m losing fitness even though I know better. First week of taper is next week. Will do a shorter subLT (7M of fast) then a 10K race on the weekend. Then it’s two 5 mile subLTs 2 wks out, then race week.

Leslie, admire your comeback efforts. I agree that even on tired legs where you don’t hit the times, the effort is still put in and it is hay in the barn. Mentally make us tougher too I think. In your case, add in the flood conditions and I think that sounds like a cool runJ. “If I didn’t run injured I’d never run at all.” –that is an epic quote! Going to use that one.

TR, Agreed!

No running for me today. SubLT on schedule for tomorrow. And work is crazy.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I haven’t trained enough to justify a taper for the York Mara on 20th October. I’m planning a last 20 miler next weekend, 2 weeks out from the race.
    welcome back Gul!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It's a tricky time of year in the hazards respect with conkers on the floor and wet leaves.

SBD- did you train like this in mid 40s?

Solid treadmill session, Nicko. As jools says though, if you want to give the best account of yourself in a race you need to ease off on some of the sessions. I was only thinking a couple of days ago as I was running and seeing conkers everywhere how in the 80s they would have been gathered for sport. If I suggested that to my son and his friends now they'd look blankly at me.

Good to hear you are well, Gul.

Leslie, solid enough mile reps in the conditions.

oo- You have a enough back to back campaigns in the bank to sort of get away with it.

Work conspired against me yesterday with a conference call over lunch so couldn't get down the race course for my tempo and I had a dinner in the evening. Managed to bunk off at 3.45 and get home with enough time to get it in though so 9m with 7 at tempo. The plan was to run it a bit slower than usual due to the mile rep session Tuesday. The session was only brought forward to Thursday as there is racing on today at the race course.

Anyway, 7 miles on the roads and pavements at rush hour was far from fun. Ended up 6.43mm average for 159 bpm.

Recovery 4 planned today and pump tonight.

• Saw the Fizz on Monday. Left calf is tight in certain places and on the road to recovery. Gave me some exercises to do and recommended dry needle treatment if it doesn't completely go in the next couple of weeks.

Bagged a 6 miler the following night, all off road with a couple of laps in the field opposite McLaren F1 and Performance factory. Loved it!
    Got a 5 miler in last night. 7.30 pace feels dead easy. I'll be over the moon if that was my MP in 6 weeks.

Fizz said to keep everything slow, so that's the plan. Will attempt double figure mileage tomorrow at LSR pace on the trails.
    I need to be in London three times a week for work now and I'm walking 5 miles each of those days, so that's helping the rehab too.

Have a good weekend, all.
    Have a drink for me on Sunday, it's me Buffdee! (any excuse to get hammered!!)