Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Still a set of numbers most would dream of, DT. Well done on seeing it through.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

It's difficult when you find yourself on your own and conditions not ideal DT so not a bad run all considered.  What's the next target race?

Good work on the 18 miles G-D and the lack of reaction from the calf today.  Are you doing any calf strengthening exercises?

Excellent progress on the 5K time Leslie and almost an age group prize!   Sub 20 beckons.

A good long run and weekly mileage Jools.

Hope the 18 miler went well OO.

Sad news at the Cardiff HM today.

Still buzzing from yesterday but still had the 17 mile long run to do today.  Left it until early afternoon but got the timing slightly wrong as there was a deluge of rain just as I set off!  Thankfully this cleared after a couple of kilometres and, whilst breezy, there was some pleasant sunshine as well.  Legs feeling fine but the pace was a bit sluggish after yesterday.  Managed to pick the pace up at the end so last 5 miles at 6:27 pace.  Slightly flattered by the tail wind but good to get some speed at the end of the run.  Week 1 of the taper safely negotiated - I fear the next two weeks are going to be tough!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done Leslie and DT I'm very glad I wasn't racing today. Conditions were awful and I cut short the long run to a 13 mile plod.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, if 1.27 is the worst of days then it's not a bad place to be.

SBD, yes just reading about cardiff. 2 died last year and 1 in swansea half. 

That's a record cardiff really doesnt need as it raises questions as to why it is so. Its the same sort of size as Brum and no one has died there as far as I'm aware. 
  • Fell off the wagon so lots to read back through.

OO, funny, you say you train only to race. I started running to eat well and stay skinnyJ. But in reality, I get pretty nervous for races, so tend to train thoroughly for one or two targeted races. But I can see that more racing would probably help me race better (experience and the training/fitness gained from pushing regularly to those efforts). That was a very fast parkrun. Wow! Nice mileage for the week.

Nicko, I don’t care what anybody says, I like the pink shoes! Takes me back. In high school, my cross country team made the state meet (our finals) and on the day of the big race, we had a massive blizzard (we were in Minnesota). They snow plow cleared the course (a track) shortly before we took off, but it was filled in by the time the gun went off. We were screwballs and had gotten an unusual kit (coral pink tights, blaze orange stocking caps, fluorescent green and pink gloves, pink long sleeved shirts, and teal shoes). Long story short, we were the only team anybody could pick up amidst the whiteout! Also, nice speedy work on the treadmill and solid parkrun result.

TR, I’m doing the Baystate marathon in Lowell, Massachusetts (it’s pretty flat and usually has good weather).

Regarding training paces, unless it’s a quality day, I rarely dip below 8 m/m (this is based on HADD training as my core philosophy; a couple of quality days a week and all the rest easy/aerobic to squeeze from the bottom of the tube).

Gul, hope you are feeling better.

Jools, another solid work and good speed session.

SBD, seems that low resting HR was totally predictive of that outstanding 10K PR. Very exciting reading. Happy for you! Well positioned for the marathon. Well played on the LR today. That’s a great finish on tired legs.

Leslie, I’d say you had all the effort in for that 5K. When you leave nothing in the tank, you did your job! Nice work. You are steadily chipping away and improving.

Gdawg, very nice result on the long run and a consecutive day of running after. I’d say you are on your way to health.

DT, I’d bank that one for perspective when you smash your next race. If nothing else, good hay for the barn and I’d say you did OK under those windy conditions and in isolation. I’d have taken that result!!

As for me, here is my race report from the 10K on Saturday. It was a beautiful day. Sunny, no wind, and upper 30 degree F weather. Long sleeve shirt and shorts worked despite the chilly temps. I got there in plenty of time to warm up and make the start without any stress. Was pretty nervous at the start but it was great to be at a race again after 3 years. The first mile began with a steep uphill for first 1/3 and then leveled off. I hit this at 6:16 (HR 161, which is about 81% of max for me) and felt very comfortable and not too fast. Mile two was flat with some downhill and also felt pretty good (6:12; HR 170). Had a runner I know in sight and wanted to stay near him. Third mile more downhill plus some flat and also felt pretty good, but started feeling quads a bit (6:08; HR 171). Passed 5K at 19:19 (a PB for me, even compared to the few raced 5Ks I've done). This was an out and back so now going back uphill in miles 4 (6:34; HR 173) and 5 (6:40, HR 174). Alone for these miles so had to work hard to stay focused (my tagged runner was still in sight, but not someone I could reel back at this point). Was definitely feeling the effort now and wished I’d had someone to tuck in next too for these. Mile 6 was flat and I pushed for 6:18 (HR 176) (was hoping for a bit more here but legs were giving what they could). Last 0.2 downhill at 5:07 pace (HR 178) with my daughters and wife cheering their hearts out (that was so lovely!). Final time was 39:29 by my watch. A 16 second PB on this course (have run 3 times previously) or for any 10K for me.

I was happy with the effort I managed (the HR tells the story as I haven’t run beyond say 163 HR on any of my subLTs this year and think I gave all that was in the tank) and to get a PB after my long layoff from racing (or even if I hadn't!). But I think I undercut myself hugely by not getting decent sleep the past few weeks (about 4.5 to 5 hr per night during the work week). I felt more tired than I thought I would on the back half. But then again, maybe that just reflects that I emptied the tank. I felt pretty wiped out in the hours after the race. In my secret heart, I was hoping to break 39 (but this will be a good goal moving forward).

Today I did a 17M LR. Was very happy with the result. Not very sore and had lots of energy. Final miles were quick and effortless. Finished with lots in the tank. I’m still hopeful that a PB awaits in 2 weeks!

• Been away on business in the US so I've just skimmed the last page. Well done to SBD for the Bournemouth 10k: always good to get a PB and a good confidence boost. Just the hard bit to take the taper easy and not suffer form taper madness now.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done we’ll done VT that’s a cracking effort after the long layoff and with very decent pacing. Once you get the big one out of the way I would suggest regular parkruns if you can. This will help calm your nerves before races (they start to become more routine). It will also give you a regular hard workout and allow you to try out different strategies. I’m sure you can get your 5k race pace to peak below 6 mins and that will make a 39 10k feel a lot more comfortable 👍
  • SBD - fantastic 10k and PB! Well done, especially those last few km on your own. You are looking in great shape for Abingdon.
    nicko - nice parkrun on a slow course.
    OO - excellent parkrun - 300th next week?
    Jools - wise decision and nice split tempo session.
    Leslie - great effort in the 5k to continue your progress.
    GD - sounding very promising with the calf.
    DT - not too shabby at all on a windy day.
    VTr - I know how good it feels to race again after a long break :) Great outcome too and bodes well for your A race.
    PMJ- welcome back.
    No running here over the weekend. Not 100% yet, but will hopefully get out tomorrow morning. Mrs GD bought us tickets to see Think Floyd last night as a surprise - much better than my croaky efforts ;)

• Fantastic racing SBD - that's a great result; hope you are still riding high with that PB. Killed it on the long run with fast finish as well.

Jools - great mileage for the week, coming back strong it seems.

Great 5K improvement Leslie - sub 20 on a flat course with a bit of space for sure.

DT - mid 1:27 is not too shabby at all; I wouldn't beat yourself up to much - and 6:50 p/mile is definitely not plodding home.

VT - thanks for being the only one with taste on here! Pink shoes are the future - a club mate got some at the same time and broke 75 mins in Cardiff half; so my belief is that they are magic shoes  :p That's a great result in the 10K, congrats on the course PB.

Easy 14 yesterday on varied terrain with hills, average just under 8:30/mile. Pretty nice out but a bit windy at the top of Ashton Court which was a struggle to get up. Final week leading into Royal Parks Half now so need a sensible week; my target has been adjusted in these past few weeks from 1:23 to 1:25; I just don't feel I have the base speed; but if I run a sensible race I might be able to go sub 85 for a 30 sec PB.

Yesterday's run made 50+ for last week, and took me over 1000 for the year - the first time I have gone over 4 figures in a year since starting this running malarkey.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

VT that's a great effort. I love that stage of mara training when you just seem to be able to absorb so much without feeling sore.

Decent upturn on the mileage, Nicko, what with best part of 3 months to go. At the time yesterday it felt like I was barely moving. Everytime I looked at my watch in the closing miles I was surprised to see a pace beginning with a 6.

Gul, hope you feel better soon.

Just entered Berlin ballot. This is my 3rd year entering so I would like a Yes!!

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done VT, its a good feeling to be involved after a long time away. Looks like you survived it pretty well too. All the best with the mara.

Well run SBD you are in good nick to back that 10k up with that progressive long run. Looking good for Abo.

OO - nice one on the 299. 299 more than me.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Excellent result at the10K VT - a PR without any focussed 10K training is brilliant.  Looking good for 2 weeks time - take it easy in the taper.

Just need some good weather now TR!  Were you planning to take your own drinks - how does that work?

Good luck for the Berlin entry DT.

A good run in windy conditions nicko.  Sounds like a good plan to adjust the target for Royal Parks or at least not to push too hard in the opening miles.

Hope you can get back out running in the next few days Gul.

So no parkrun whilst you were in the US PMJ?

Are you now tapering for York OO?

6 recovery miles early evening in the fading light.  Legs feeling good and HR low.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    SBD - from memory they gave out water in cups, sponges and a bottle of luco last year. I think everything is in cups this year, so I will carry my own bottle of luco, and eek it out until about 18 to 20m. I did it at yeovil and brighton, and have carried a bottle for 24m in training so im well used to it now. I will take cups of water, pour some into my cap and have a sip too. I was even toying with carrying a bottle of water and a bottle of luco but id have to juggle (which i can do) when i want a gel.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm sort of tapering now with a 2 week countdown for York Mara. However I have a club GP tomorrow which is a 3.5 mile race, then my 300th parkrun on Saturday which I'll definitely be racing. Will certainly be a cut back week mileage wise but at least 45 I should think.
    Why no parkruns TR?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's some parkrunning, OO! I doubt I will ever get to 300. Think I am on 34 now.

4M recovery yesterday and a leg flushing spin class. aiming for 6 today.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - ive do my long runs or rides on a saturday. But i have no real interest in 10k or below really. I do a couple of 10ks pre a spring mara campaign to get my legs moving, so had done my short races for the year by feb 2nd or 3rd. That one had a 5m wu and 9m wd anyway. Im unattached harriers too, which means i can pick and choose races. ........should do more shorter ones really as im better at them even though i dont train for them..
  • Not even reached 30 parkruns officially myself - so OO I guess that confirms the fact you are 10x better than me! Don't think I've been up before 9am on a Saturday 300 times in my life....

Took a rest day yesterday rather than going to progression run as achilles felt weird when I was just cooling down at the gym on treadmill; sports massage this morning has loosened me up nicely though so will probably hit the track for a light session to keep the legs sharp before the weekend.

Looks like the half may end up getting a little extra distance around London if we're weaving around all these protesters, though the event and the protest have been talking to each other on Twitter; so will be interesting to see what happens.

• nicko - nice mileage. All the best for Sunday. Hope the protestors don't interfere with the race, but I have to say I admire their commitment.
    DT - hope it's a yes this time!
    OO - nice to sharpen up. 300 parkruns is very impressive. Think I'm somewhere around the same tally as nicko.
    Finally got out for a run this morning - 9 easy miles. Might even do a double today if Mrs GD can make it to the gym for a swim after work :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Shame on you Nicko. At least Gul doesn't have the excuse of getting up early 😉
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    If we can include childhood I was definitely up early most Saturdays: orchestra began at 9am!

5 last night and 7 this morning.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope Sunday is a clear run, Nicko. What do we want? A Nicko PB! When do we want it? NOW!

Nipped out for an 11 miler tonight. Calf still not 100% but managed to trot along OK to average 7.24 pace. Frustrating as body feels fine but legs are injured and out of shape. Just got to be patient.
  • Nicko first time over 1000 mile ! ,shockingly low miles for this thread !!!!!!! still you are getting decent times so must be doing it right ...1:25 is a cracking target .
    VTR decent time if not quite what you wanted ,save it for the big one !
    0054 300 parkruns is immense , working a lot of weekends I just don't get that much chance to go and I like a liein after getting up at 6am a lot so somewhere in the 20's for me .
    G-dawg flying again after a little downtime !

6 x 1k with 90secs rest after day shift in the dark , have a little route that just manages 1k before the path narrows and gets bumpy and darkness begins lol 

Lap times: 4:08, 4:05, 4:07, 4:04, 4:07, 4:09 so 6:30 to 6:35 approx pace , a bit windy but strangely the ones into the wind were quicker although they had a little downhill help at the start and just over 7 miles in total !

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good to hear you are back on it GDawg👍
  • GD - nippy 11 miler. Hope your calf continues to improve.
    Leslie- good interval session - careful in the dark now!
    VLM magazine has arrived in the post :) A few lengths at the pool yesterday evening, but couldn't count it as a session. Decided to leave the swimming now until tomorrow and did 14 easy miles instead this morning. HR seems to be more or less normal again now (148 yesterday, 145 today), but maybe need another week before I'm approaching 100% again.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Gul come on man are you in or not we need to know lol
    Pacing to effort last night as can't see watch in the dark and had just finished when German shepard man appeared so just in time. 
  • LeslieI know, it's shockingly low compared to others, I need to step up my consistency and might start seeing some better results. Solid reps in the wind there, 1Ks are hard to pace if you're not chasing anyone.

G-Dawg - if you can come down on Sunday and chant that at me, it might help! Glad to see you are back logging some miles.

Little track session last night not pushing it too much, inverse pyramid of 1500, 700, 300, 300, 700, 1500 (weird distances due to being in group 2). Kept them all fairly steady just keeping around 6:00/mile on the longer stuff and putting some bursts of speed on the shorts. 5 miles total.

Just waiting to collect the keys to the new house today so the next few days will be mainly wallpaper stripping, carpet ripping and hopefully some easy miles to keep the legs going. 
  • SBD. said:

So no parkrun whilst you were in the US PMJ?

Not this time. Two runs in Austin, Texas, where it was 90+ degrees and 90%+ humidity at 5am so a real swat fest and then an overnight layover in Chicago so a rain-drenched run round a soul-less part of town built around airport parking and hotels. 

Once upon a time, many years ago, I was the US parkrun record holder. 
  • What is a parkrun BTW?? Is it just a 5K held in a park? I think it's cool that you have so many to choose from all the time. It's actually hard to find regular races like that where I live. Although I did find a 5K series happening in November. 3 Saturdays in a row. Tempting depending on how I feel post marathon.

Not much doing here. 8M easy with 8 strides yesterday. 

But 12 year old daughter fell and bonked her head good this AM. Decent gash in scalp, but looks like she will avoid stitches (and no concussion worries or headaches). Yikes!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that VT, hope the little one is OK. You will have to look up parkrun, cant believe you haven’t heard about it.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope little Miss VT is OK?

VLM mag arrived. Going by last year's numbering I'm on blue start. Where does FGFA start from? Thought I had a chance of getting there as I qualified a couple of age groups lower?