Sub 3h15

Comments

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    SBD, VTr - tks for the interest, but no, I've no plans to run another marathon. 
    I've had such a decline in the last 4 years, that even if I could do the training, I'd be so much slower than my swansong - and I quite like my finale being a 3:18 at age 60.  (that's 7:35 pace - a few weeks ago I did a "flat-out" parkrun, on a fast course, and recorded 24:31 (7:50 pace) . .   so that illustrates the cliff I've plummeted down.  
    Just averaging 24 mpw this year, though I can still turn out a 15 miler with no probs - just that I'm slow !   I'm currently wondering whether to do the county XC League, as I'm now in a new (V65) category . . .    but XC is hard enough when we're fit  . . .  
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    SBD. said:

x-post

You're right of course, MsE!  Hope you're back off the bench? Will we see you at another marathon?

Yes, easing myself off it and building back up with a winter of training before I make any decisions about entering any races next year. If I do anything it'll be short initially though. For the time being I have started another masters degree in psychology; this one is applied positive psychology and coaching psychology. There are loads of great running coaches but not many people who focus on the mental side. Sports psychology tries to address this but currently is all about peaking, whereas there is so much more to performing well.  So I am covering topics like values, motives, the meaning of happiness, self regulation, goal theories and how evidence-based positive psychology interventions have application, with a focus on sport and health. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Gul I might just give 20 x400m a go just not sure where to pitch the 400m effort at ,I hope to get to 14x400m soon but maxxed at 10x 400m for now unless I ease the pace a bit but I'm way above 5k pace on these and would rather just leave the 400's as an eyeballs out session to help my 5k time as the other sessions are too long for that..... Nice mlr .

DT
    its all about the level of effort though 10x 800m won't be at 5k pace more like 10k pace so rest isn't as critical so not as hard on you , I ran just above 5k pace tonight and after 6 reps I'm whacked !
    Let us know how these new fangled gadgets work these could be the new pink shoes although looking at it they are near the price of pink shoes too if I'm reading it right.

Birch what about the 65k by 65 how did that end up pal ?

MSE sounds like you are very busy as usual and plenty of (nut) cases to work on in here lol

6 x 800m along the dual carriageway by myself /80 secs rest.

Reps were :
    3:12, 3:12, 3:13, 3:12, 3:14 , and a hard 3:05 to finish ,just ran to effort as can't see Garmin in the dark and but quite close together and spent at the end with 6.5m total.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Leslie, they cost me £129 but i dont think I'll get them for a month.

yes when i do 10 x 800 its 10kp pushing towards 5kp in later reps if i can.

Nice 800s yourself though.

My plan had 5 at easier tempo tonight so 6.35 to 6.45. My legs were a bit heavy from a front loaded week so i decided to revert to a former staple effort of 5m at mp just to see what hr I'd get. Classically this comes out around 160bpm give or take. I thought I'd aim for mara pb pace (6.44) which i hit exactly but never has that pace come quite so easy aerobically. The legs were heavy but the hr came out for a very low 154 average. 

pleased with that, now a few days off. 

• DT - they are like part Iron Man, part Stormtrooper.

Ankle and achilles issues held at bay for a 10 miler @ 7:45 last night; then Weston Prom 5 mile tonight.

Arrived late, couldn't find parking, rushed to register, get changed and quick couple of minutes warmup; got to start, prepped watch, no battery!

Ran totally blind not knowing how far anything was or what the time was, ended up with a 30:36 for a 40 second PB; and only 1 second per mile off my 5K PB; so a nice evening. and there was cake.

• DT good to hear the paces are getting easier to hit now ,sounds promising for a new campaign.
    Nicko sounds like the cake was earned after a faff at the start with a new Pb.
    Forgot to say the gritter was running up and down the road as I was doing my reps so winter is almost here !

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    blimey, Leslie - well remembered :)   -  yeah, the goal had been to get to 65,000 miles by 65th birthday, but I missed that - in truth, a year of fire, death and sorrow took its toll - so I realigned, and set the goal to be achieved by Christmas - currently on 64,759, so 241 needed in 8 or 9 weeks - fully intend hitting that.   
    Its strange - like you, I worked 12 hour shifts, 24/7 and all that, and found the focus and drive to train;  now I've loads of spare time, but the legs (and mind (?) )   don't allow that level of commitment 
    keep up the good work - and btw, I know its generally colder where you are, but gritters in October !!!!    what's that all about ?  :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nicko, great going. sometimes i think my gps holds me back.

Leslie, I've checked weather for Edinburgh and over night sunday it drops to -1 so likely I'll see an early gritter. 
  • DT - enjoy Edinburgh. Promising stats from your tempo run.
    GD - sounds like a nice set up at your London office. I could always use the gym over the road for showers if I wanted to - just need a longer lunchbreak! Take care now - not long to go :)
    Birch - 65,000 will be a huge tally and certainly something to celebrate :)
    MsE - that sounds like a great focus for your masters; all the best now with your studies and the running.
    Leslie - yes, I certainly wouldn't recommend doing that number of 400m reps any faster than 10k pace, preferably a tad slower i.e. around LT, and the miles soon stack up with that session! Good 800m reps. No sign of the gritters round here yet, thankfully.
    nicko - excellent stuff and not what would be expected from the rushed pre-race prep and blind running. Bet that cake tasted good.
    Overslept a bit this morning, so just 3 miles in total sandwiched round a swim. I cut the swim a bit short when the pool got a bit crowded and sat in the sauna again for a bit. Looking ahead to next year, I was looking for a HM pre-VLM. There's the Norwich HM, but it's only 3 weeks before London and I wouldn't trust myself not to go flat out and burn too many matches.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Well done, Nicko.  No Prom Run for me as it's the Masters XC relays tomorrow, although having looked at the Long Eaton weather forecast (heavy rain) it doesn't look like they'll be much fun!  I wasn't pleased it was only 3km, but now I feel happier about that ;)

10M steady yesterday and 6M steady this morning.
  • Is that the Nottingham one? They were trying to get a men's team for that if so, but I thought 3k was a bit short of a race for such a long journey there and back 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It is the Nottingham one.  A nice full day out for what should be under 13 minutes of racing!  I don't think there are any men's teams and the FV35 is the only women's team (although it does feature one FV40 (me) and one FV50, so it'll be interesting to see how we fare...).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Cracking run Nicko and a shiny PB. Funny how we get hooked on our watches, just goes to show!
    Good luck Jools. Did I ever mention I HATE XC. Glad I got that off my chest.
    Sounds like you've had a tough time Gul. You are an inspiration to us all and that milestone is on the horizon🤞🙏.
    2 swims this week and 3 runs. Legs are still not 100% but planning a soaking at parkrun with my wife and daughter No2. Let's see how that turns out.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Nicko arrived late, panic to start, forgot the watch and did a ten the day before !  STILL got a pb well played sir .
    Birch things like that are always going to take a heavy toll on your running , you have lost your mojo which is probably having a much great effect than any ageing would ever have . Strange isn't it I arrived home from work last night 7:15 by 7:30 I was changed and on the road after a 12 hr day . I suppose my long shifts do make it easier in that on shift there is a small window for the run and I have do right  then or forget it . I'm not sure what the answer is other than things are usually better after a run ! maybe get yourself down to Parkrun every week and see if you can whip some old git or even some not so old git arse ! and make a few new friends down there. Griiter is out a bit early and it was 2c this morn again  but I hope that it for a while now. Let us know when the magic 65k arrives !!!! a measely 13000 for me but I only started at 39 near 47 now !
    GUL I just know Id go flat out 3 weeks before in a half  and in 2 of my mara's I broke at exactly 3 weeks out , lightening does strike twice or 3 times in my case the other was about 10 days out  ....
    0054 how did you get on at Parkrun ?

I also went to Parkrun for the first time since July 18 apparently were I ran 21:22 .

Having done a hard session on Thursday night plus a few miles last night I knew  20 mins was unlikely felt a bit  lethargic from the start  and mile splits were 6:45, 6:45 and 6:41 with a spritely 4:52 m/mile  for the last little bit to give 20:49 and 7th place. First finisher forgot their barcode so next was 19:51 .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Cracking effort Leslie. I was 18:55 on stiff legs.13 tomorrow to end a steady recovery week. Thattwill take me over 2000 for the year so far.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    BMAF XC relays for me.
    Oof! Partly mud bath and partly water bath (think past halfway up your shins in places!).  Started too conservatively for a 3km race, but picked up at the end and thanks to my faster team mates am now FV35 national champion 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

National champion has a nice ring to it - well done Jools - do you get a nice medal?

A sub 19:00 parkrun is good going 6 days after the marathon OO.  And 13 tomorrow sounds ambitious!

That's a good return to parkrunning Leslie and a decent time given the state of your legs.

A good run/swim combination Gul.  It's worth giving some thought to the pre London HMs - running them at MP is always an option.

65,000 before Christmas sounds a good milestone Birch.

Excellent PB nicko - perhaps you need to run without the watch more often!

Another good tempo session DT.  Very strange purchase ...

Good luck with building the training over the winter MsE and good luck with the psychology masters.

I'm doing London in 2020 TR - need to beat my previous best of 3:13.  I'm not sure I can face another windy day at Worthing so I may have to race somewhere else.

Good to hear you're still on track for NYC G-D.

How's the recovery going VT?

6m recovery runs for me Wednesday through to Saturday.  Legs not feeling too bad, although the right calf is still a bit on the tight side.  Will keep the recovery pace going for a while and then start to build the mileage and quality back.  Need to enter a few short distance races - my 5m PB at 31:51 is looking a bit soft - and I'd like to run a 10m race before the end of the year (current PB 66:46!).

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Oh yes SBD, definitely some low hanging fruit for you.
    Congrats Jools that's fantastic and I'm sure you have held up the standard of the team in previous years.
    Always lovely to hear from MSE 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    3 weeks out is a dangerous time, Gul. It leaves very time to get fixed if something does ping. 

SBD, there's a couple of 10 milers local to me in December which might not be too far for you. On 08th December is Sneyd so just off i think j10 of m6. Then on 29th December is Gloucester. 

Nice parkrunning so soon after a mara, oo.

That's some good continued improvement, Leslie. 

Congrats on the xc jools. Given professional footy matches were being called off across the middle of the  country it must have been messy.

No such issues in Edinburgh, being the otherside of the weather system. Just blue skies and sunshine, albeit a very cold stiff breeze. 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

So no running in Edinburgh DT? Thanks for the heads up on the 10m races - how would you rate Syned and Gloucester in terms of PB Potential?  I had fancied the Derby 10 but that's now full.

No escaping the photographer at Abingdon.  This was at the 14.5 mile point just before the start of the second outer loop.  The two guys behind me stayed with me until 20 miles and then carried on as I slowed down to record 2:48:xx!

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

And one on the track, at the end of the death march, just praying for the finish line -

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    SBD, no running. we only have 3 full days here and I've insisted on watching both rwc semi finals. If i demanded some run time as well I'd get hit! 

Good pics, looking very lean there. 

i got a place at Derby just before it filled. Both are undulating but sneyd attracts a decent field and i enjoy that race. it's 2 5m laps with miles 1, 4 and 5 containing a lot of downhill so in effect through the middle of the race you get 3 pretty fast miles and a fast finish. I tend to do better on that sort of profile than a pan flat race. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Feeling your pain DT, very unlucky for Wales, could have gone either way.
    Nice pics SBD you are looking lean and mean🧐
    Closed out a 14 miler for a 36 recovery week. All passed 2K for the year.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Other than for a few minutes around the 70 minute mark i never really felt Wales could win it and theyve not played well enough to get to a final. I'll still get my full day out at the rugby club next Saturday, just supporting my country of residence. 

Pain as i had a 10k pencilled in sunday, which ive won the v40 prize the last 2 years. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great pics, SBD. As DT said, you're looking lean there. Light is fast, they say. My scales have been broken for weeks and I'm glad. I know I'm carrying a couple of extra bits of timber in the belly area but don't want to know how much.

Good totals, OO. Congrats on the 2k. 

Final 2 runs of my 5 week campaign done at the weekend, 6 weeks if you include zero runs for rehab/recovery this week before the race on Sunday.

Just did 10 miles on the trails on Saturday. Didn't look at the watch at all but very surprised is was 8.26 pace which is around 30 secs per mile faster than I have been doing them. I feel this shows my natural pace is coming back.

Backed it up with a recovery with quite a few strides yesterday, just 5 miles which came at at 7.00 pace. Decided it was OK to have a few stride sessions after OO said he did a one week taper for York. it's been the most unusual campaign, so might as well do everything different and see what happens. It's already been a brilliant learning experience.

Some pain and strain is still apparent in the injury areas but I know they should be fine by Sunday. When they've been sore after a run I've had 2 days off and have been able to get another session done, so a full week with lots of rolling etc should do the trick.

Would love a 3.2x on Sunday, we'll see...
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    SBD great pics and slowing down to 2:48 you are living the dream lol !!!!!!!!!!!
    Gdawg nearly there now nothing more you can do now before Sunday .

Took a rest day Yesterday after 8 slow ones on Sunday for a 45m week as I'm making this week a cutback week after 3 hard weeks, did a session tonight myself but reduced number of reps from 10 to 8.

8 x 400m with 70 secs rest 4 were 1:25 one way and 3 at 1:27 the other with a slower 1:29 on rep 7 as I was struggling a bit having just got out of bed for nights again .

Talking of running the dream local father and son duo continue to impress , Tommy (59) has ran sub 2:30 in all the last 5 decades ..........and they have yet another WR together.

https://www.derrynow.com/news/county-derry-post/489624/father-and-son-world-record-breakers.html
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I was brought back down to earth at my local 5k last night. It's not the fastest course and I wasn't feeling that nippy: it's been a long time since I tried to race on a Saturday and then the following Tuesday! A sluggish 20.09 and 2nd fv35. Something to build on!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Doesn't sound to shabby Jools. Evening runs in the dark aren't the best.
    I'm in Keswick this weekend. I'm tempted to run parkrun then dash home for the rugby on catch-up. Does this make me a bad person😯
  • Jools - congrats on picking up the national champs win. I'm sure you're heading in the right direction.
    OO - nice weekly miles and well done on reaching 2k. Not quite there myself yet.
    Leslie - good parkrun effort and nice reps too.
    SBD - nice photos. 
    GD - you've done well to get yourself back on the road and to make the start line. Take care now and enjoy the experience.
    Did a steady / progressive 7 miler on Sunday. Then 7 easy miles and swim on Monday, 12 steady Tuesday, and again 7 easy miles plus swim today. Back to work today after a couple of days holiday working in the garden. 
  • Oh yes, and I forgot to say that I bought a pair of shoes from you know which supermarket on Monday. After several years of gradual decline in the quality of the shoes (new ones, that is, not my old pairs as I'm adding mileage!) the latest ones on sale are very poor. In fact I would now officially say they are rubbish and not suitable for purpose. Which is a great shame. The last pair I bought from the other cut-price supermarket are better, but still not as good as they used to be, so looks like I will need to buy proper running shoes next year :)