Sub 3h15

Comments

• 12 steady miles this morning. Had a bit of a surprise as I was passing a pedestrian at 5:30am when they said, "Hello" and turned out to be an ex-colleague. He has been working out in the Philippines and apparently came home 2 months ago after being hit by a typhoon which left him with a broken arm.
  • Total miles for October 182. Slowly getting back to normal.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019

That is bad news re the cut price running shoes gul, but a whole new world of comfort awaits you!!

Good to see things creeping back to normal!

OO, parkrun is every week, your country in a world cup final isn't....

G-dawg, I assume you are well on your way to NY now? have fun.

Leslie, yes read that on the sub 3 fb page. I think Tommy posts on there a bit himself. What is amazing is that at 58, he was the faster half of the duo!

14m done yesterday so I don't need to do it on sunday. Planning 4 over lunch today and then circuits tonight. That'll give me 175 for October which is my highest October mileage recorded which isn't bad given I lost 4 running days with hols.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Thanks, DT. Flying out tomorrow morning. Time difference is 4 hours at the moment with the clocks going back on Sunday morning at 02.00. That will be interesting to experience the clocks going back twice in a week.

No running this week, just walking 5 miles each day for my commute. Left leg still not 100% but it will be fine for Sunday, I'll just be a bit under-cooked.

Question for OO: Weather looks almost identical to your race last year (starting at 7 or 8 degrees and peaking at 11). I remember you saying you were cold waiting at the start. I've taken the finish poncho option so will not be dumping a bag, just wearing lots of layers and then throwing them in the charity truck before the start. I'm in a dilemma whether to go for a base layer under the club vest or just the vest.
    What did you go for?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gdawg, I wouldn't wear a base layer for the run in those temps. Its' not dissimilar to the temps here the last couple of days and I have been out easy running in shorts and t'shirts. I think you'd quickly regret that decision.

What I would do if I was concerned was pick up a  pair of arm warmers and wear them then at the point I got too hot I would just roll them down my arms.

Easy 4 over lunch. I hadn't realised how much rain there had been here having been in the sunshine of Scotland until I tried to get on the race course and could see it was under 4 ft of water. Causes some issue for tomorrows tempo. I could find myself running up and down a 2 mile stretch of the a38 in the dark instead.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great shout DT!!!
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited October 2019
    Good luck for NYC G-D - you've been very patient and shown great restraint so hope you enjoy the day.   Make sure you don't push too hard as you'll need to start training for your London Sub 3 before long!  Definitely no base layer and if it was me I would avoid the arm warmers as well

Good easy miles DT and well done on the October total.  A tempo run through 4ft of water could be interesting.

Good mileage building Gul but shame about the shoes.  It'll be the pink magic shoes before you know it!

It might be a lonely parkrun OO!  Well done on the annual mileage to date.

More recovery miles for me, 8.5 yesterday, 4 today.  Right calf still on the tight side so need to be a bit cautious over the next week. 

• DT - nice miles for October. Hope you can find somewhere more pleasant for your tempo run than the A38!
    GD - hope you're having a good flight and make the right call on the layers. All the best for Sunday.
    OO - come on, get your priorities right. It's got to be parkrun :)
    SBD - easy with that calf. 
    Run and swim today. 7 miles at recovery pace. 30 mins in the pool and 15 in the sauna.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Keswick is damp but great to be back after a few months. Yes I think parkrun wins, even though I have a 10 Mike race around Derwentwater lake on Sunday.
    How's the calf SBD?. No swimming here Gul, school holidays 😉
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Gul it must be a different time zone where you live where everybody is up at Gul o clock ! shame about the cheap shoes just have to look about and see what else is out there .
    Dt decent month and mileage for you there , will have to find this facebook page , Tommy is a legend but his son only started at 31 I think so not peaked yet and is clearly very talented too . Just shows us what is truly possible with the right genetics and training plus he was in very sick in Hospital only about a year ago  so an amazing comeback ,He will be 60 early next year ...
    Birch take note.... old gits can still be fast !
    SBD perfect timing for a little rest most of us break before the race not after 

Parkrun again this morn 

Almost perfect splits of 6:36, 6:35, 6:34 with 5:40 for the last bit  Going out a good bit faster than last week my legs were really struggling in mile 3 and there was nothing left for a proper sprint finish .I thought after an easy week sub 20 was possible but it was fairly clear from the start it was just too big an ask and I couldn't get below 6:30 for very long. Last week was 20:49 so a decent improvement.

Result 20:19 and 4th place. and 181 miles for October which equals Sept with just 2 rest days .

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Leslie - well done, that's a good result, and a decent month's miles, too .  Tommy Hughes - yes, what a runner . . . .   
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    65:42 at the Derwentwater 10 but no prizes. I've not been feeling 100% this weekend so will take that.
    Congrats Leslie that's very decent- good improvement and some good miles you are putting in👍
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    Birch cheershow you getting on this week ?
     thanks and very decent 10 miler result for not being 100% 
    Badbark how is the recovery going ?

Got 12 slow ones cranked out today , was a nice autumn day along the river bank with leaves slowly dropping of the trees , booked a half for march so will need to shift focus a bit for half training soon .

35m for a cutback week with 2 rest days .

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Quick check in.
    Proper sufferfest around NYC today. 10 weeks and 400 miles of missing training will ensure you get found out on a course with plenty of incline. Yet, I loved it!! What an event!
    I knew it would be tough, marathon will always find you out and I was ready in the head if not the legs. Posted a 3.31 which on that course and my 5 week training block, I'm rather happy with.

Will give a fuller report when I've drunk this place dry! 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Well done G-D - a great result given the limited training. Enjoy the drink or two ...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Leslie, nice bit of further improvement. The group i see him on 8s the sub 3 fb group. 

oo, nice little trot arounfld the 10m race. 

gdawg, great going after the lost training. Enjoy the beers. 

Tempo friday night ended up being up and down a38. It wasn't much fun and was at slower end at 6.43. Yesterday i was on the beer from just after 8.30 for the rugby and somehow managed to keep going through to midnight. Felt surprisingly good today however so got out late afternoon for my scheduled 10 miler. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg-Totally agree with your sentiment about the event,amazing and I loved it all,sneaked in just ahead of you with 3:29:42,very happy with that 1 week after Frankfurt and 18 miles of walking the last 2 days.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    How did Frankfurt go, ian? 

Yes, you cant really go to NY and just put your feet up in a hotel room for 2 days before it. 
  • Well done OO, GD & Ian.  Sounds like NY was a ball, and await the detailed reports!

7.5 miles for me today after taking the weekend off in the hope I'd stop feeling so bloody tired all the time.  Not sure it was totally effective as I was still knackered when the alarm went off this morning after a solid 8 hours' sleep.  I'll try going to bed earlier tonight.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Went well,3:07,so 2 mins quicker than Berlin,edging closer to GFA.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice going, decent recovery and performance in a pretty short turnaround from Berlin! What age group are you in? I note you mentioned recently that you had a NY mara GFA?

Jools, my wife and I have both been feeling really tired without explanation over the last week or so. I've put it down to an underlying virus.

• GD - well done, that's a great effort after all the lost training weeks.
    Ian - excellent result in Frankfurt and well done on NY just 1 week later. Have you got another GFA attempt lined up yet?
    Leslie - good progress with your parkrunning.
    OO - sounds like a very decent time for the Derwent 10.
    DT - well done churning out the tempo run on the A38.
    Jools - hope a good night's sleep does the trick.
    Busy weekend and no running. 7 miles plus swim and sauna this morning.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-I'm 47,NY GFA is pretty easy for the half times,mine was 1:28 but 3:05 full.
    Gul-Doing Barca in March but that's the only plan at the minute,I'm currently 2:30 under the time but it probably wont be enough unless we have really bad weather at the big spring races.
    NYC was an amazing atmosphere and I'd highly recommend it if anyone is thinking,but it's very expensive both for the race and being here.The race logistics didn't turn out too bad,but can see it being no fun if it's bad weather.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

so your London GFA is 3.10 (as a starting point). You probably want to be sub 3.05 to be sure of it.

I am keen to run it next year, do you just mean NY is generally a very expensive city? Other than the cost of the actual race, there's no other running related cost is there?

Gul, is the sauna work to become a regular feature for you now?

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Yes that's what I meant,the only other cost is if you spend at the expo which is very tempting,transfer to start,food and drink there,tshirt is all included.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    What sort of area do you recommend staying in that balances close proximity to the places i need to be for raceday and also balancing sightseeing and nightlife? 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    We stayed in koreatown,close to times square and the centre of Manhattan,short ride to anywhere you want to see,easy walk to bus pick up for race day,about 30mins to central park,we walked to statue  of liberty end but took over an hour so a 20 min train would be easier,from there you can see WTC,Brooklyn bridge and that end of the island.Not too sure on nightlife but it all seemed very lively.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Agree with that. We're also on Korea Town (32nd Street). Ideal for walking to the race bus pick up as well as a great base to hit the whole New York. Superb day today where we took in World Trade One, Brooklyn, Times Square, Broadway, and various other places in tbe centre of Manhattan.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2019
    We stayed near Central Park last year and extended for a 6 day holiday with meals included. Probably the most expensive holiday the 2 of us have ever been on 😳. I'm sure there are cheaper options.
    Spain by contrast is one of the cheapest Ian. I did Barca in 2017. A great experience and one of the cheapest around. Worth staying a few days if you have the time.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    In terms of pricing I suppose it depends what's more important.If it's time then definitely stay on Manhattan but if you have plenty of time and you'd rather save money then there's plenty of places in queens a 10 min subway ride from Manhattan.
    OO-Luckily I've been to barca a lot as we have some friends there,but not done the race yet so I'm looking forward to it.Would you say it's a PB course?