Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsE - nearly 48, 5' 8", currently 11 stone 7 after a less than careful autumn, but that should be down towards 11 dead in a couple of months time. No idea about fat index or muscle mass - just too high and not enough will do. Severe pronating heel striker with flat feet and terrible feet-outurned gait, so can't actually run in any kind of support shoe as they just rip up my arches - try to get by with neutral shoe and orthotics.

• SBD - I know it would take alot of mucking around but have you thought of doing what Moraghan mentioned he does, in making it say, a 10 day cycle? I suppose if you can handle the mileage you do, it's possibly not worth the effort.

MsE - For your stats, I forgot to mention I'm 38.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Having a giggle at how so many of you have earnestly posted your vital statistics for me following my slight tongue in cheek suggestion. Just goes to show what a lovely decent lot post on here. What is amusing is how you ended up adding age when I was asking about the physical aspects (height, weight, gait etc). B&B - you made me laugh! But now the geek in me is wondering whether, in the interests of doing this as a project, I could tabulate the information together with our respective schedules, HM/marathon etc goals and achieved times... Does that make me weird (and definitely make me more suspiciously like a gay man)? I have no idea whether it is possible to add tables to this place although vaguely recall seeing someone's graphs of training cleverly posted a while ago.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    B&B - re my tempo run, if you mean my first run of 8M with 4M at HM pace, my 4 miles went from 8 m/m to 7 m/m which made me conclude that I need longer warming up to get into the zone. I had allowed 2 miles but I run mostly in the morning and, coming from Asia, find these cold temperatures affect me quite a lot. Next time I think I will spend at least 4 miles warming up and do some extra cool down miles if necessary.

Re me coming from Asia, I keep getting random people knocking on the door asking me if the lady of the house is in. I never had to deal with this when I was out working.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Blisters and beer wrote (see)

SBD - I know it would take alot of mucking around but have you thought of doing what Moraghan mentioned he does, in making it say, a 10 day cycle? I suppose if you can handle the mileage you do, it's possibly not worth the effort.

The purist in me likes the idea of a training-based cycle but the reality of working life and family means it's a non-starterimage

• MsE - you ask a bunch for runners for some stats and are surprised at getting feedback?! Here's a chart I prepared earlier showing running/biking hours over two marathon campaigns. Fascinating I'm sure you'll agree, ahem!

http://www.alunward.co.uk/marathon/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/hours.gif

Re. training surfaces: mmm, good thoughts - maybe I should go back to trails if I want to up the mileage again.

MM - oh yes, I'm definitely on the right thread! I know a few sub 37 minute 10kers who can't crack 3 hours yet despite putting many more miles than me in! The predictors say you should be able to pull it off with a 38 minute 10k and I'm quite happy to admit that higher running mileage would help convert it. I've a feeling some of it is psychological though, I'm more than happy to go full pelt for what seems a measly 10k, but am overly cautious in longer races in case of collapse. I've yet to translate the 10k into a similarly pitched Half or Full (current PBs are 1:25:50 from Feb, 3:11 in Oct) but am hopeful for 2011.

• MsE wrote (see)
     Re me coming from Asia, I keep getting random people knocking on the door asking me if the lady of the house is in. I never had to deal with this when I was out working.
    Being petite and youthful,  it's obviously because you don't look old enough.   
    or otherwise it's because you're a gay male image.
  • MsE - I'm 5 ft 6 and weigh around 9 and half stone (60kgs). Don't know what my BMI is as I've never done it.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Clearly, we need to introduce a weight handicap system similar to that used for jockeys.  So anyone running a marathon and weighing in at less than 80kg would have to carry weights to bring them up to the fair weight of 80kgimage
  • I can't believe how quickly this thread moves. Hard to keep up, even if you just blink.

Great running.... erm... everyone. Some very quick times being posted already. Bodes well for future races.

Day 3 (technically day 4) of P&D 18/70 for me, so a nice relaxed 8km recovery run this morning.

With regards to plans... I don't think I could follow something like FIRST. I really enjoy my running so just strapping on the shoes three times a week wouldn't be enough.

I must be the group heavyweight. Think some of you weigh about as much as one of my legs. I'm 39, 5'10" and just over 81kgs (about 12st 10)! Not sure about muscle mass. I agree with SBD about the handicap system. Seems only fair image
  • Evening all

Nice 10k Luna man. Was that in a race or just a timed effort. To date my 10k PB remains a solo time trial done during HM training and hence must have a degree of doubt cast over it until I (hopefully !) improve it

Tis indeed very amusing seeing everyone's vital stats ernestly being posted ! I'm a Gemini with a moon in Uranus and like fluffy kittens and charidee work.

Regarding different surfaces I do think the t/mill protects against injury if used for a few sessions (one of its few advantages). I def find paces feel quicker on the mill SBD - partly due to heat and HR drift and partly that bloody belt rattling away under your feet gives an illusion of greater speed

MsE - Moraghan has me always doing min 3 miles warm up then 6 *100m strides with jog recoveries before any kind of quicker sessions. It def helps prepare your legs

Interesting to see the (lack of) age range on the thread. Late 30s into mid 40s seems a popular option ! I wonder if that's reflected with different age bias on other threads for different mara targets.There's a little audit for the stattos amongst us

• Marathonguide.com publishes stats of all the US marathons every year, and the average age of runners over there is 40 for men and 36 for women. Average time is 4:24 for men and 4:52 for women. Unfortunately not seen anything similar for the UK, but it wouldn't surprise me if the ages weren't a touch higher.

Click me

• PipesPipes ✭✭✭
    Hello everyone. It's been a busy week (last week of term, lots of stuff to mark) so I'm reading the thread but not keeping up enough to post. I know what you mean, OsloNeil, about the thread moving so fast. It's a good thing.

Well done on your 10k, luna man. I was marshalling on one side of the bridge, about 2.5k and 6 miles into the race. Are you doing the other local races in the build-up to VLM (Banbury/ WH1/2)? You deserve to smash your marathon PB (and hopefully sub3) with a 10k time like that.

I'm early-mid 30s, FW...although I feel like a pensioner at the minute.
  • 37 years old, 6'2" tall, weight about 11 stone maybe 11st 7 lbs?
    4 mile warm up then 4 x 1 mile reps all between 5m59s and 6m03s with the club. Thought I'd be faster but I think I had mild food poisoning yesterday. I managed 8 and a bit miles last night but had awful stomach cramps and promptly fell asleep for 11 hours when I got in! Felt better today but it's obviously still affecting me.
  • Lordy, you lot can't half talk. I'm afraid I've only skim read as time is getting on and I really need my bed.

Keir, no use asking me about vegetarianism and colds as a) I'm not a veggie, and b) I have a better excuse for getting respiratory illnesses - double pneumonia, pleurisy, pneumothorax and two collapsed lungs requiring a lengthy spell in hospital and an emergency phone call to my parents 200 miles away to tell them to get there quick just in case I kicked the bucket in the next few hours. That was nearly 10 years ago, but I still have scarred lung tissue and a slightly weakened immune system.

On behalf of Jools and I, I must protest at the age generalisation. I am 31, and I believe Jools is younger still. I'm 5 foot 6, 53.5kg (which is too heavy for me cos I have little muscle mass and a tiny head), I overpronate and heel strike badly and have slightly reduced lung capacity (see above!)
  • 45 years old (I still can't quite believe it), 6ft 2, eyes of blue, and currently 87kgs, although this will come down to nearer 80 come VLM day. It always does. Lightly pronating serial heel-striker, I once got a gait analysis at Runner's need , got sold some motion control Sauconys (Grid Hurricane) and promptly got injured in both calves.
  • Just managed to scim/catch up, although I did miss out a couple of hundred posts.

Welcome to all the newbies and the de lurkers

After waiting all day Monday, my suit case turned up on Tuesday. No running yestrerday as I was at my Aunties funneral. Despite a lack of training I am proud to state I have kept my endurance together and managed 12 pints of Guinness prior to walking home.

12.5 miles general running today. As it was my first run in a week, I started too quickly and despite trying to slow down I managed to cover the first 5 miles in 8:00mm. In total 8:16mm for 12.5 miles with HR of 74%. So in all a good steady run.

• TR/Rat - glad you de lurked image Nice posts. I'm officially inspired and plan to be doing a sub 3.15 come April in either Paris or London. Self taught by picking up the peals of wisdom on here or otherwise via a SS coach.

KR - bon chance! i wish you all the best image

• pearls - i meant, pearls of wisdom
    keep em coming image
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Good luck to Knight Rider and Jane 326 for tomorrow!
  • Poacher - looks like we're on the 8 hour "train" in Feb

Plenty of good stuff out there, and no time to comment 'cos I've got to have some shuteye before tomorrow's early morning run.

As for vital stats, I'm about 5'11", 72kg (note interesting mix of imperial and metric!) and according to our scales I've got a body fat %age of about 13.5% - not bad by normal standards, but against a benchmark of 6% for top marathon runners, I feel rather lardy.

•   good luck to the SS hopefuls !!!

Luna Man great 10k

MsE  how mischievous of you to ask height weight etc....funny tho.Will add mine for the record...

5ft 8"  about 67kg (10st 6lb) and the oldest on here...just!

11miles today first 6m at 7.50mm last 5 at 6.50mm.

• Pipes - oh fab, you marshalls did a fantastic job on such a cold day, especially with the 1/2 hour delayed start, so thanks to the lot of you. Much easier as a runner staying inside waiting and drinking tea (though that did necessitate another pit stop!). I've run the Banbury 15 before and loved it, so I'll sign up for that for sure. White Horse is the week before VLM though I think, so I won't be doing that.  I do the Brighton Half every year, so that's my MP test target.

Thing is about lightweights, I'm sure we break more easily!

I have voted.

• Nice 11 miler there efc.

Maybe all these vital stats should be compiled into another list. We love 'em!

Thanks for the good wishes, looking forward to finding out tomorrow one way or another.
    Good luck to Jane as well for tomorrow.

7 miles for me tonight all done at Mara pace + 30 seconds pace (7.52mm).
    Going to start building this midweek run up each week to about 13/14 miles.

• Good luck to Jane and KR!

Out at 6:00 a.m this mormning into the cold for a nice 11m, in progression from 7:30mm to 6:50mm, av 7:12mm. Felt good, and HR was nice and low too, av139bpm, which has to be A Good Thing.

That's 30 miles so far this week, but I have a 5-miler on Saturday afternoon followed by the works' Christmas dinner/p**s-up, so who knows if I'll be able to do anything on Sunday. Gym tomorrow after an early date at the MOT.

• I definitely can't keep up with you lot. Perhaps I should re-locate to a slower thread image

Nice running EFC, KR and Ant plus everyone else on the last 3 pages!

Good luck to KR and Jane today.

Calf a bit  easier today, but I decided to give it another rest. This decision was helped by the fact that I needed some time this morning to put together an order of service for this weekend; the Church where I'm preaching wanted it by today for music/choir rehearsal. I'm not good at preparing this far in advance - the sermon is usually finished about 5 mins before I leave the house on the Sunday morning!

• Good luck KR and jane!

Great 10k LM, those FIRST marathon schedules are great for producing good 10k times. image

My vitals are – 41 years old, 6 feet tall and 11 stone having come down from 12 ½ stone since taking up running in February last year. I’m now lighter than I have ever been in adulthood and still eat over 3,500 calories a day!

• Good luck to KR and Jane
  • Oh yes, I'm 44 years old, 6'3", 11 stone plus one or two pounds (haven't weighed myself for months, but my weight is very stable), and wear running shoes with mild support and cushioning. I really ought to have a proper gait analysis done; I did have one done last year, but I'm not convinced that they knew what they were talking about.