Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, the Hakiden Nicko. Though I hadn't realised that is what they are called, not the history, which G-Dawg was correct about the link on looking at the description below pasted from the nike.com page;

A Tribute to Speed

The shoe's colour nods to the annual relay by using visual cues taken from Hakone's mountainous landscape and the Japanese bullet train.

It'll be a struggle to keep them boxed up for 16 weeks!

Good to hear from you Stevie. I feel I've come off pretty well in the xmas fatboy stakes!! Unusually for us as well, after tonight, we have no weekends away or big social fixtures in the calendar until mid march, though no doubt things will pop up, which gives me decent march on really try to pull the weight right down.

I used to really enjoy xc but then I did the county champs 3 years ago now at the Leamington course and it just  broke me. I was ill for about 2 weeks after (which no doubt was nothing to do with the race, it was probably more why the race broke me) and I've never been back to it since. I used to find that xc used t o destroy my lower legs and I could never run properly for about 5 days after it. So it probably wouldn't work for me now anyway.

That sounds like some office set up g-dawg!!

Easy 8 over lunch. Been struggling a bit this week, just feel overly fatigued. Not sure if i'm coming down with something.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Happy birthday DT.   Astute magic shoe purchasing!  Hope you get over the fatigue.

Feeling a bit fatigued today on the 14 mile late afternoon MLR.  I felt like quitting at mile 1, mile 2, mile 3 , ... all the way up to mile 13.   These seem to be tough sessions the day after the tempo - I definitely struggled with these runs during the Abingdon campaign.  Happy to tick that one off - recovery with strides tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday DT. Is that the green and orange shoes ? I might not have to search for pink ones on Black Friday !

StevieWh - good to see you, i wondered where you were?

SBD - 15m mlr here, those midweek long runs are a chore but they are marathon gold.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday DT and welcome back Stevie 👍
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Yes, that's the ones, TR. Much nicer imo compared to the bright pick or green ones.

I do like an MLR, though can be hard going on a cold dark and wet February evening.

Feeling a bit delicate today, 5m recovery later on.

• DT - many happy returns. Hope you had a good day.
    OO- at first I thought I was going to struggle to make 30 mins but turned out okay in the end. My swimming is always fairly sedate 😊
    Stevie - good to hear from you. Nice 10k PB.
    Nicko - good easy run.
    GD - how inconvenient. Weekly fire alarm test here yesterday and had a bit of an issue. Took about 10 mins to switch the alarms off!
    SBD - well done toughing it out. I actually quite enjoyed my 18 miler the day after the tempo run. Today's MLR after a recovery day was harder going.
    TR - good work. Noticed you did a stonking long run with MP last week!
    12 miles this morning. 6 @ 8:23 and 6 @ 7:37.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    DT - hopefully that colour will be the ones on offer in November then. Although 4% might be £50 by then.

Gul - i did the 17m inc 10mp, the point of doing p and d this time is for the quality sessions which will hopefully sort my cramp wibbles late on, the long mp runs are the target sessions for me this time.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hope you are right TR. I'm up for a pair of the 4%ers when they are around £100 or less. 
    3k swim this morning which was tiring. I'm going to try a run this evening as I'm not tapering for the Brass Monkey.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    OO - ill keep my eyes peeled, the price is bound to dip again, think they are £160 ish at mo. Depends if theres more stock tucked away at Nike.......mine are still in the box at the mo.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Dt happy birthday and nice shoes sir ! You might just be getting old like the rest of us but there is a lot of sickness about at the minute so you could well have the lurgy.
    SBD I think P&D try to break us with schedules like that but if you can stick it out the gains will be great.
    Stevie doesn't seem like you have slowed much with a 37 min 10k comeback ...
    GUl nice 12 
    TR those mara paced runs are so tough but so needed.
    0054 If they were 100 quid Id but em too !

Dentist yesterday for a filling in my wisdom tooth ,got 3 jags and after them my heart started racing near out my chest and my left leg starting twitching like mad and jumping about the couch trying to run away  so I had to put my right leg on top to hold it down ,never usually have any bother and  it was a bit embarrassing ,staff must have been laughing under their breath  , don't do a hard tempo the day before a dentist appointment lol Went in with no pain came out when the anesthetic wore of with a massive toothache and went to bed most of the day after so no running ...

Club run tonight 20 min tempo ,10 out 10 back .

led for a fair bit of the way out then dropped the hammer for the last mile as I wanted to push myself and nobody followed . miles were 6:36, 6:44 (climb), 6:14 to finish. (possibly my fastest mile in 2 years) so wouldn't have been much over 20 min for 5k pleased with that after Tuesdays hard session.

Drunk beer for first time in about a year probably last new years eve and accidentally booked a race for mid feb , a 10 miler oops .....

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sounds awful Leslie, dentists are the worst 🤢
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Leslie, that sounds horrific! I never seem to get on well at the dentist when I need something doing.

Great tempo and always a good sign to finish strongly.

TR- I suspect that nike will stop producing the 4% soon enough and just push people towards the next %.

Tried mine on yesterday. They are a lovely looking shoe and I can feel the difference in them compared to the 4%, just from walking around the office in them.

Easy 5 last night. I was rough as yesterday having overdone the birthday festivities Wednesday night.

8m tempo today over lunch. Due to flooding I have not done one of these at the racecourse since early December and been doing them on the streets etc, so I am looking forward to getting a good gauge of where things are today as I have lots of comparative data for tempoing there.

• OO - you must like the refurbished pool.
    Leslie - nightmare at the dentist. Are you sure it was anaesthetic they injected?! Doesn't seem to have affected your running though - good club session.
    DT - hope your tempo run goes well.
    14 miles this morning; 1 w/u, 7 @ 8:23 & 6 @ 7:28.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Crikey, Leslie, that sounds like a nightmare. Glad you're able to see the funny side.

Yes OO, I'm exactly the same! I too am waiting for those 4% bad boys to hit double figures before I bag a pair. Meanwhile I'll stick with the Zoom Flys.

Second rest day of the week today with 2 runs planned for the weekend. Big work event yesterday culminating in a few beers but home in good time. back in London today. When working here I walk 2 miles from Waterloo to the office. I carry a laptop, otherwise I'd run it (or a longer route). Anyway, noticed the legs feeling quite fresh today, so I'm looking forward to seeing how they fare on a 16 mile LSR tomorrow.

Local XC event tomorrow afternoon, I'm in no shape to race, we have enough runners to score points, so I'll be doing my first stint at being a marshal. Quite looking forward to it. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good luck GDawg and enjoy the XC. I did a ploddy 8 this morning. Think I'll end the week around 50 miles (including BM race) plus 5k of swimming. Feels great to be back to normal after illness.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    DT the tempos are getting big now and back to your old route will be nice .
    GUL when I said my hearts racing here he did say there is some adrenaline in it and if it hits the bloodstream it can have strange effects. The hangover after was fairly horrific so I wouldn't recommend it tbh ! and the rest yesterday probabaly gave me a bit of extra zip for the tempo. You are getting those P&D faster finish runs down to a T now 
    Gdawg enjoy the 16 plus standing about in the cold and telling them they are nearly there with 3 mile to go lol !!!!!!!!
    0054 good to see you getting back at it , 50 is a nice target but I can't quite seem to manage much more than 40m a week and hard to see where I can add any extra without spoiling other quality runs.Maybe doubles are needed I dunno my new shift is not proving as easy to fit the miles in so far so i will need to have a look what I can change about . 
    SBD re sub 40 min 10k club , I'm on my way but it may be a few months yet !

Out this morn for 12m and the first 6m were just forward only and no more, 58 min for 6 mile death march , then I saw a runner in the distance on the way back unfortunately they put up no resistance at all but it had flicked the go faster switch and I picked it up slowly but surely to mile 11 were I rocked a 7:05 mile then 1 easy to finish (9:01 average for the run) After last nights tempo it was hard work  but on nights next 3 so needed done this morn.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    This is worth a listen. I'm very guilty of this but as you know, I'm learning from you guys and changing my sessions accordingly...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MALsI0mJ09I
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nice 14, Gul.

I'll have a listen to that tonight gdawg.

Well persevered, Leslie.

Tempo at lunchtime went well enough. Not feeling quite as energised as I was last week, probably the effect of having to come to work etc. Thought i'd make it a classic 160 bpm/MP tempo, just to see what pace 160 came out at.

Fairly consistent miles at 6.25, 6.34, 6.31, 6.32, 6.32, 6.35, 6.31 and 6.28 gave me a 6.31 average for 160 bpm dead. Last few months my pace at this HR seems to have got much better. Not so long ago, 5m at 160 would come out about 6.45mm.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good run that DT, bodes well with 2.55 pace being 6.40s. In comparison i did 10m av 6.28 last week in my p and d 17 inc 10, you're not far behind me and im aiming sub 255.

OO, GD - The 4% were reduced on black friday, i got some for 125 and they went down to 109 at best. Worth tracking the nike website, but as DT says itvdepemds if Nike are holding any back or not......would a Nike outlet sell them ? Theres one near me that i never go to.
  • Belated happy birthday DT - hope you had a good one. Good consistency at lunchtime.

Leslie - sounds like you've been taking the Marathon Man idea a bit too far: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xBJERznOgA;) Hope you're OK now

Enjoy the XC G-Dawg - I'll be over at Oxshott for the Div 3 match, but will definitely be more of a plod. Younger Lorenzito hasn't headed back up north so is likely to be running as well, so always nice to run in the same race as the next generation.

All this talk of new shoes has reminded me that I need to invest in a new pair - still struggling to find one that's as good as my old Mizuno Hitogamis but might see if I can persuade younger Lorenzito to let me have a spin out in his Adizeros as they feel very comfortable to walk around in.

Poacher - in answer to your question, Geographic Information Science is basically the science of solving geographic problems so could be anything from population movements to climate change, or where you might want to stage a new parkrun. I like to think of it as a mashup between maps and data, but it's a bit more sophisticated than that!!! One of the assignments I had to do over the Xmas hols was looking at air quality in London and mapping hot spots in relation to roads and green spaces. Has also involved me learning about database development and interrogation, and I've got a programming course starting next week. All in all, hard work but very interesting.

Steady 8 miles yesterday and some short intervals this morning with the incentive of working my way up the leaderboard on a few Strava segments. That said, the CR is held by someone who averaged 2:10 min /mile pace on the segment - very impressive!!!

XC tomorrow and hoping to get an easy 10 miler in on Sunday.
  • GD- enjoy your MLR and marshalling at the XC.
    OO - good luck at Brass Monkey.
    Leslie - good work grinding out the 12 miler.
    DT - another cracking tempo run.
    Lorenzo your studies sound interesting. Enjoy the XC.
    6 recovery miles this morning. 66 for the week (rest tomorrow).

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Lots of sixes to end the week on Gul!

Enjoy the XC Lorenzo.

Good improvement on the tempo pace DT - looking good for the upcoming races.

Embrace your green zone G-D.

A good 12 miles after that speed tempo session Leslie.  You're on a good improvement curve.  Have you got a Half Marathon scheduled?

Good luck for BM OO.

Agree on the mid-week 15 milers TR - tough to find the time and motivation mid-week but you're glad you've done them come marathon day!

11 miles progressive late afternoon Friday, starting at 8:20 and working down to a final kilometer at 6:10 pace.  Had planned to stop at 6:26 (MP) but got over excited.  Recovery with strides later today and twenty planned tomorrow but it's looking a bit windy and potentially wet!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Lorenzo glad I never seen "the mara man" before gong otherwise Id of been in hiding ,hope the XC went well ...2:10/mile ? is that on a bike lol 
    Gul good week there enjoy the rest
    SBD always nice to rev out a bit at the end and feel strong . I have my first half booked for 21st March ,there is another Id be very tempted for just 7 days later as I've ran it a good few times in the past but not sure what to do as its a tad close ,Id race the first but if I can get the tempos up nearer 10 miles before then another half wouldn't do much harm would it .......My focus is mainly on the 1/2 this year and aiming for at least 5 with an eye on smashing out a fast 5k in may.
    As for mara's the Dublin mara is sold out and now uses a silly lotto system now with lots getting rejected for the first year ever, I was offered a place last October but had to book 1 year in advance when I didn't know if a mara was possible for me ,stil not sure ! the local mara is end may but has broke me the last 3 times I've ran it and its a bloody tough hilly course but its cheap and on my doorstep and If I paid and did't show it would be no big deal 
       Last time I needed a GFA and it was right before the cutoff so last chance and ran myself into the ground to get it having got injured about 10 days out ..got the GFA for London missed it due to cronic injury, deferred still couldn't run ...disaster !!!!!!!!!!!!

5 very slow recovery miles (9:42 average) after getting up from 1st nights ...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    1:27:24  at the BM. Decent run all things considered and a negative split. Conditions were perfect but unable to push on today. 
    54 mile week and 5k swim so the.marathon campaign has properly started.

• SBD - hope the weather was kind today.
    Leslie - good to have a race in the diary.
    OO - decent time and a negative split is always nice.
    Just booked myself in the Long Sutton HM on 15th March which should be a good indicator before London. 😊
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    0054 great time not too long after your mara and a good week too
    GUL good to see you getting a race booked at last be interesting to see how fast you are now with all these miles . Tempting to book more races but some are falling bad with work etc and too close to others as well, this is where working shifts sucks a bit as missed the first 5k of the year today .

Up of nights for a session up my favorite dual carriage way /cycle path and some windchill today so hat was taken and stayed on the first few reps .
    6 x 800 with about 60s slow jog between each.
    Reps were 3:13, 3:15, 3:17, 3:15,3:16, 3:14 so around 6:25 pace wind picked up for rep 2 and I really had to work for that one but stayed away mostly for the rest of them.

44 mile for the week  official weigh in for " fatclub" at work was on friday night and reported 76.6 kg which is down but probably due to be doing 12 mile earlier that day ...

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    That's still a good time at BM OO.  How was the next% count?

A good set of reps Leslie and good work on the weight.  Probably lighter than me at the moment but I'm still resisting the scales.  Two HMs seven days apart sounds far from ideal but it would give you a fall back if the weather wasn't ideal at the first.

The HM sounds perfect timing Gul.

Not quite Brass Monkey weather here with winds of 14 mph although it was quite warm with some pleasant sunshine.  I needed a bit of encouragement to get out of the door but 20 miles on the local cycle trail completed at 7:43 pace, with the last five miles at 7:14 pace.  We'd had a lot of rain over night so a bit of puddle dodging was required but otherwise conditions underfoot were good.

Gives me 76 miles for the week, with fifteen weeks left to London.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Jeez SBD immense mileage.
    Plenty of Nike on display today at BM 😳
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    gdawg, that was a good watch. Backs up really what most of us here do but nice to see the stats behind it.

TR, yes 2.55 is defo the plan. Based on gps i always get 26.40 at london and last year run at 6.44mm. Therefore 6.40mm will do just. I looked backed through strava earlier and mid to end of last feb i did 5m at mp which came out 6.45 for 159bpm, and i felt i was in good shape then. 

Oo, well done at the bm. The weather came close to doing a last year looking at yesterdays weather but seems to have setyled today. 

SBD, great mileage and some good runs to round it off. So, where do you ferl fitness is? is 6.26 still felling like mp and do you think you can squeeze more? 

Some nice 800s, Leslie.  Yes the run will have helped the weigh in. i never weigh in after exercise or beer. How tall are you? Solid weeks total. 

Gul, that's 6 weeks from london so a great point to gauge fitness. Gives you 4 more weeks to train and improve also. 

Easy 14 today today to give me 49.5 for week, so I'm happy to call that 50. 10k next sunday so a semi taper week as id like to nail a pb. My 10k pb is 26 months old, albeit it came on a course that measured on gps about 80m short. It's great at the time to bag a big pb, it's a bloody nightmare trying to beat it. 

After that, i start London preparations with some proper i intent. And project 2.55 begins. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good mileage from DT and SBD. Nice result at Brass Monkey, OO.

Had a good running weekend. Ended up doing 17 miles instead of 16 with a mate after we took a long cut which was supposed to be a short cut to 15 on our muddy trail run on Saturday. Really pleased to get through it with no issues.

We tried to cut it short to get back earlier in time for another mate to pick us up to help him with the XC event. 
    We'd ran the course as part of our own run, so we walked it again (2.4 miles) to lay out the marshall points and spray paint any hazards. Leading out the other marshalls and walking back again certainly got the daily step count up, almost 40k for Saturday.

Loved the volunteering, great fun. The lads did two laps of the course. Great to see the front of the quality runners when I usually only see their backs disappear!

Got out yesterday for a 4 mile recovery. It was something of an achievement. It was the first time I'd had five training sessions in one week since April last year. Highest training week as well also since then, 40 miles clocked.

Another careful week planned with some simple speedwork thrown in.