Sub 3h15

Comments

• Leslie - good work on the dual carriageway. Don't think I've done a HM in the lead up to a marathon before. Will seem strange not doing lots of tempo intervals so not feeling confident of a fast time.
    DT - if the conditions are favourable a PB is within your grasp.
    GD - nice accidental long run and glad you enjoyed the XC.
    Schedule said 10 w. 10x100m but I ended up doing 12 instead.
  • Great tempo DT - I'm going to have to put some work in to be able to keep up with you at London!

Huge miles by Gul & SBD as usual, looking good this early on.

Excellent result at BM OO.

Good reps & mileage Leslie especially after the dentist!

Good volunteering G-Dawg and great that you are getting the sessions in pain free. I've entered the Surrey Half, that's your neck of the woods isn't it?

XC went well on Saturday, absolutely loved it! Wish I'd started racing it sooner! Course was undulating with a couple of muddy sections and a long drag through the start finish line which was also into wind. Probably started a bit too far back but settled into a nice rhythm early on. Was a bit surprised to see my HR at 180 but thought it would just have to stay there. Tried to keep a lid on things the first 2 laps and was just passing groups slowly using the tactic of not racing the uphills then pushing past on the downhill and flat sections. Started racing a bit more the final 2 laps and passed a load more runners without being overtaken. Put a huge sprint in the final 400m uphill section to try and pass a Tipton runner who I just caught before the line! Felt really good to just be racing and only thinking of that rather then paces and splits.

Finished 127th and 6th counter for the team which I'm really happy with on debut. Looking forward to the next one already!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's excellent Stevie looks like your a natural. Did I ever mention I hate XC 🤣 Like you I came late to it, but too late it turns out.
    I'm impressed at you guys targeting sub 2:55. That's beyond me now but hopefully might sneak a couple more sub 3 hours. 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Dt nice week and what a cracking target of 2:55 . I'm 5'5 so at 76kg I still have a bit of a gut which looks a bit silly in a racing vest !!!!!!!!!, race weight has been 66kg which was only be possible with months of very high mileage (I averaged 75/week for first 5 months in 2017 peaking at 92. I think a consistent 40-50/week should make it possible to get nearer 70kg with a lock on the fridge ..
    Gul my half pb's were set using P&D so I don't think you will have any issues and some of p&D runs have half mara pace so you should have a fair idea by march what to target. In the past if I could do the last 7 at half pace in a 13 miler then on raceday I could sustain that pace with a number on.
    Stevie sounds like you had a great run and I do love a good burnup to the line .My old coach always joked I could never do XC as I had zero leg lift ...
    0054 you ran 3 sub 3 times in a year so sub 2:55 is your next step , think big man !!!!!!!

Looked very stormy when I got up but within a mile it completely changed and was like a spring day , result ! just as well as I was struggling to move forward during the gusts at the start and trees always make me nervous in the wind. 2 had fallen along my favorite river path a couple of weeks ago but hit trees on the other side of the path on the way down and sat at a 45 degree angle so you had to run under them . I certainly would not go in there when it's windy .

5m recovery 9:22 average.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gul - im with Leslie, the mp and LT runs will cover ypur half. You want a marathon capability indicator anyway.

DT - your gagdet wont have followed the blue line exactly. For sub 255 you simply have to make sure you are through 3m, 6m, 9m, 12m etc every 20 mins. Theres a big clock every mile so the gadget can record your race for post race analysis, but is irrelevant during the race.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Glad you enjoyed the xc, Stevie. It is nice to just race and not chase times. 

oo, it's only 4s a mile faster than last year for me so doesnt seem a huge stretch. Given your recent pb, i wouldnt wrote off your chances. 

Nice recovery miles, Leslie. im 72kg and would be very happy to get to 69. 

TR, yes I'm not suggesting the course is long. Last year i started at the very back of the fgfa pen. I might be a little more ambitious this year. The first clock isn't going to say 20 though unless i start on the line, but i guess after the first one it's easy to clock from there. 

Gul, nice 12. Though youre still adding to that schedule !!

4m recovery at about 8.45mm today. Just avoided the worst of the weather. Spin then tonight but legs didnt have a great deal in them. Weather saturday and sunday currently looking perfect for racing, hope it stays that way. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good recovery miles after Sunday's 14 DT.  I like the 2:55 London target.  I'm not too worried about MP at the moment - just need to get the training in without get injured.  The aspirational target for London has to be 2:49:xx but we'll see how the training goes!

Nice change of weather for the recovery run Leslie.

Given the run of Sub 3 marathons, you could surprise yourself at London OO.  I'm just doing the same mileage as the two previous campaigns - so peaking at c. 84 miles.  

Sounds like you had fun at the XC Stevie.  Are you getting the motivation back for the spring marathon and the Sub 2:45 time?

No need for intervals Gul - the P&D prescribed tempo sessions are all you need to get in shape for the HM.

6 recovery miles this afternoon followed by some strength and conditioning work.  Starting adding the latter during the Abingdon campaign and am aiming to get two of these sessions in per week going forward.
  • Stevie - sounds like you're hooked on the XC :)
    Leslie/TR/SBD - yes, I'm sure you're right, but I haven't even hit HMP on the LT runs yet let alone LT :)
    DT - yes,  I thought you were going to reprimand me.
    Looks like Tuesdays are going to be my long run day. 20 miles this morning (first 20+ run since June!) 10 @ 8:17/m and 10 @ 7:36/m.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Your legs will fall off!! Nice work on the 20!

SBD- yes it's all too early to say right now. The good thing with marathons though is that you only have to improve by a few seconds a mile to post a decent pb, whereas 5k is like pulling teeth.

I feel that my fitness right now, essentially before I've started mara training, is as good as it has been and I jusT need to add in the endurance to the mix. Though i'm running 50 a week now, so fundamentally on the only 2 changes will be that my 14m sunday run will increase out and my 8-10m midweek run.

• DT - which 10K are you doing? Not the speedway 10k in Chepstow by any chance? I'm going there with clubmates and it will surely be a reality check on current performance; despite doing a 38:45ish during my October half marathon, I think I'll struggle to go sub 40 now.
    Stevie - glad you enjoyed XC, it's definitely not my thing!
    Gul - nice to get a 20 done I'm sure.
    OO - good HM result there.

Good London targets being claimed here, and should be achievable; I think I just want to get through Boston and then target a faster PB for Valencia.

Away over this weekend so put in a 14 miler last night in the pissing wind and rain; with club progression run in the middle. Average pace 7:36 with the progression section from 8/mile down to about 6:30 - HR not much above 160 so that's OK for me.
  • Leslie - Yep I enjoy a sprint finish too, couldn't speak for 5 mins after this one though! Be careful with those dodgy trees!
    Gul - That's early on for getting the first 20 in, well done. Decent pace as well!
    SBD - Yes mojo restored now and looking forward to getting my teeth in to some big training. Used P&D to roughly sketch out how I can get to 65-70m a week in my current structure so that should help my 2.45 target! S&C is really important to have in the plan!

Sacked last nights 5m easy off as the weather was ridiculous, will move it to Thursday or Saturday. 6m tempo tonight although I don't think ill be able to run it on my usual route so it will just be ran to effort

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You are smashing it Gul, awesome miles. 
    Yes loving the weather Nicko. I have a club GP tonight so ready for a good soaking.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, yes I am at speedway 10k. Nice start time at midday and conditions look bang on.

Stevie, are you not using Lewis anymore then if structuring things via p and d?

• Cool, see you there! What's your target time?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I have to pb!!! so sub 38.18. I am just going off at around 6.05mm and hoping to sit there.
  • Jayzus. Good luck, I'll be nowhere near you!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    i ran 38.22 at Telford in December and thought I'd played it well, without really emptying the tank. This time I'm emptying it. 

Whats the parking and facilities like there? i recall you did it in June? 
  • I did the winter and summer last year - parking is fine but it is on grass.

Facilities are limited toilet-wise - if you need to get rid of anything moderately solid I'd recommend finding somewere beforehand. Lots of trees and bushes for liquid waste :-) 

It's a good simple 2-lap race, very fast field, no strings no fuss. Water station at about 4k/8k

Looking at my Royal Parks result I did the first 10k there in 38:47 and felt strong so if I magically can find that fitness in the next few days maybe I won't embarass myself too much - that's doubtful though. Will go out at 6:15-6:20 pace and see if I can hold it. Will do 3miles treadmll at that pace today to see how it feels.
  • You might surprise yourself Nicko!

DT - Still with Lewis but need to up my mileage and as I cant really do doubles so thought I'd see how P&D structure the 55-70 plan for the big weeks. I think it will work for me and still allow me to swim. Lewis agrees as well, so a peak week would look like:

Mon: 8
    Tues: (intervals 10-11m)
    Wed: 10
    Thur: 6 + swim
    Fri: Tempo 14-16
    Sat: rest
    Sun:18-20m
    Total: 66-71m

Obviously will build towards that!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Tired just looking at that, Stevie!

Cracking session last night. It was a bit windy and raining hard but that added to the fun.
    Kenyan Hills. Did some research to see how to do them and decided to go for 3 x 10 mins with 2 min recs. Used my usual hill which is a ridge, so I can run up, over and down and then return and repeat. The idea is to run at a tempo pace on the up and the down for the full 10 mins, unlike hill sprints where there's a rest period after each one.

Could feel the fatigue kicking in on the final rep but that's to be expected.
    A mile there and back made for 7.3 miles for the stormy night.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ah right, ny peak week for london was 67, as follows-

mon- 4m lunchtime then spin in evening. 
    Tues 11m with session.
    wed- 5m 
    Thurs- 12
    Friday- 5.5 lunchtime then bodypump evening
    Saturday- 22
    Sunday 7.5. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gul - i cant hit hmp in those runs either, just run them hard on the day and move on. The training effect will happen.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    Stevie that's a tough week there enjoy the buildup to it.
    Gdawg can't beat some Kenyan hills 
    0054 how did the club race go ?
    DT flat to the mat that's the spirit !
    Gul although I can hit LT and much higher several times a week now I ain't doing anywhere near your mileage ! Trust in the training... 

Club session tonight 2 x 2 mile with 2 mins recovery  but we turn after 1 mile so there and back ,id have rather just done 2 out 2 back.
    Way out was into the wind along the quay which was starting to pick up a bit and way back wind assisted which made quite a difference to pace.

miles were 6:42, 6;24, 6:46, 6:26 and its always easier I find  to push hard on the way back even if there are more reps to do. Pulled out a bit of a  lead as the others tired on the way in , decent enough pace given Sundays session .No looking at watch, can't see anything in the dark anyway, just hard effort on tired legs .
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The GP was cancelled due to weather at the coast. I did 8 miles with a few fast one thrown in. My hip was not happy. A nice 2k swim too so not a bad days work.
  • That's a shame 0054 but it would probably have been grim out tonight.

Forgot to say I was coming up behind to pass a group of runners from another club and the path was narrow so nipped the other side of a line of 1m high bollards onto a shop driveway to get past but had to nip back before the end without slowing so was focused on the bollards , zipped across back onto the path and was immediately met by a runner completed dressed all in black just a few metres directly in front of me , didn't see him in the low light/dark clothes , luckily avoided a collision ...oops !!!

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

I would tell the hip to sod off OO (or at least a formal written warning with a scheduled follow up performance review)!

Good club session Leslie.

So a peak of 70+ for this campaign DT?

Kenyan Hills G-D - I thought you were training for London not Boston!

What was your max mileage for Berlin Stevie?

Well done on the twenty Gul - it's always good to tick off the first one and a good pace for the second half.

You could surprise yourself at the Speedway 10K nicko - hope the treadmill test gave you the confidence you need.

Tempo Tuesday today - doesn't seem that long since the last one - so 10K aerobic threshold training with 3K w/u and w/d to give a total of 16K for the day.  The most important achievement today was not bailing out before the end of the 10K - so good mental training and 10K completed in 39:21 at an average HR of 169.

• Treadmill test did not go well; after about quarter of a mile at target pace after a warmup my legs just felt wrong, probably just a bit of fatigue from the day before so just did a few miles at recovery pace and will try again today. Not great, I need to get my mojo back; ran 5 miles at sub-38 10K pace in October so I know I can do it when I need to.

Good Kenyan hills GD - I need to start getting those sessions in.
    SBD - another great 10K tempo.
    Decent club session Leslie - be careful with those invisible runners!
    Shame about the GP OO, swim sounds much more pleasant though
    Stevie - that mileage is savage.
  • Nicko - well done getting some miles in before your weekend away. Maybe the rest will give you that edge ready for the 10k.
    Stevie - nicely structured weekly plan.
    OO - maybe as well that the GP was cancelled. Hope the hip is okay.
    DT - that was a good peak week.
    GD - glad I don't have any hills round here to try out that session! Nice going.
    TR - I remembered that when doing a typical 2x3M in HM training, I would include some strides in the warm-up, whereas this campaign has been more of a P&D style MLR / LR run. Maybe throwing strides in the first few miles before the LT effort would help.
    Leslie - that's a good effort. And well done avoiding a collision.
    SBD - good 10k effort session again. Are you doing one every week?
    Six mile recovery run today. Overslept so no time for a swim.
    Looking at buying a flipbelt and not sure which size to go for. I'm a 32" waist. Small is 26-36 and medium 28-38, so either should be okay I guess but wondered how others had found them?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD- Yes i'd like tot ick off a 70m week this time around. I could just drop the Monday spin that week and run for 40 minutes as a double day. Nice tempo again.

It'll be alright on the night, Nicko…..hopefully!

Another solid session banked, Leslie. That could have been messy. I almost pulled out in my car last night in front of a cyclist dressed in lovely dark clothing at rush hour on a stormy winters night!

I took my sharpener session to the treadmill last night so 10 x 2 mins at 10kp off 1 min. It isn't ideal on the treadmill as due to the build up to the right pace on the treadmill I seemed top be constantly up and down. Anyway I ran the first 5 at level 15.5 (3.52) and the last 5 at 16 so 3.44 pace. All felt perfectly manageable, albeit it was only 2 minutes at a time.

Left for work a bit earlier this morning and stopped at the gym on my way in to use the Bodytrax machine to get a proper analysis of my weight and bodyfat etc. I am going to try and do this midweek each week now as all my readings then get stored on the app. I was 71.9 kilo so 11,3. Last time I used the system on 12th April I was 72.2kg, so in a good place to get that a decent bit lower come this April. I'd love to see 69.xx by then.

Easy 7m over lunch then bodypump tonight.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gul - yes, pete pf advises doing some strides before the LT section of that session. Ive tried it, i like it as its lesd of a shock than trying to increase pace by 2 min/mile. Im trying to do strides twice a week, i even did 6m inc strides thurs, fri and sat as i had a 10k sunday.

Read a couple of reports that the vaporflys might get banned yet, not sure how it affects joe public, and which versions it applies too.