Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    236 for me Gul as a Jan total +25k of swimming.
    Yes I'll do a parkrun Gul, one called Jesmond Dene in Newcastle. It's rather twisty and hilly so not going for a time. I should get close to 60 miles this week with 7k of swimming. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    DT. Just double-checked. I actually received emails on the 4th and 5th Feb stating that I was successful in gaining a 'Guaranteed' entry to the NYC marathon. That's the GFA acceptance.

The one I got on Feb 27th must have been the catch-all email which included those successful in the ballot.

I do recall thinking that I was ahead of the game in terms of first choice of hotels to book.

Hope that helps?
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited January 2020
    0054 Nice total and enjoy the "slow" parkrun in a big week for you ! Yes a pleasing tempo for me.
    Nicko Nice reps did you not fancy the tempo ? its tough in the wind for sure, tougher on your own like I have to do at times. Ours goes up 5 mins a week so I can't afford to miss any or it will be too tough to catch up again, they possibly top out at 60 mins but I'm not sure on that as I only see the schedule 1 week at a time. ! 
    DT I'm sure your in but be nice to get it confirmed.

Gul a cracking month and start to the year.

5m recovery today on squeaky legs my knee is bad after every session but this is nothing new , lucky to be running at all as they say ....long may it continue.

Sad news just out my local mara is cancelled for this year just heard tonight ( walled city mara) , I hope it isn't closed for good as I know they struggled for numbers and its a bloody hilly course but Your local one is a bit special.
     I could have had a place in Dublin as a previous entrant in the last 3 years as they have now gone to a stupid Ballot and for the first time people are getting rejections   but I had to sign up within 48 hrs last October so missed out as I could barely run 5m then and its closed now . I didn't really have plans for a mara just up to half this year till end may where I may then ramp it back quite a bit as I've other things I need to be doing and running tends to take over your life  ....

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Shame about the local mara, leslie. My right knee gets a bit sore after running on and off. My pyhsio says there's nothing wrong in my knee, its my calf muscles getting too tight and causing something. 

Nice recovery 5 . 

G dawg, thanks for info. It seems yesterday was complete carnage going by the NY mara fb page. Essentially last year was the first time all the non nyrr gfa places sold out and they didnt go until the last day of the open period. 

Last night within 23 minutes they blocked off anyone new coming out of the queue system and submitting a gfa applic. They didnt state this but folk were not getting the option to enter qualifying details. Then at just before 5.30 they announced all the places had gone. 

I commenced my application about 5.20 and did get option to complete qualifying details and submitted just before 5.30. There is though then no clear guidance as to whether everyone who got to complete a gfa applic has a place or whether that is then somehow allocated on first come basis. There are a lot of very unhappy people over the whole system. 

Anyway.....9m tempo again today. Came out 6.33 so exactly as last week but bpm 161 so 1 higher. There was a vicious wind coming in off the river and i was either running into a headwind or with a tailwind. I struggled to get the balance right on the respective effort levels which nudged the HR up. Another solid tempo bagged though. 

That scored 208 for the month which is ok. 
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-That's crazy,mine was a lot simpler last year,I'd heard it was full but thought it must have been wrong as it had never filled before,isn't it the 50th? Maybe that had something to do with it.
  • Options
    OO - that's a lot swimming on top of all those miles. I've been to Jesmond but over 20 years ago now!
    Leslie - shame about your local mara. Probably a wise move to stick to shorter distances this year.
    DT - sounds like a shambles. Good tempo run and nice miles for January.
    Parkrun this morning. Good first lap in 5:56, but faded again with 6:13, 6:13 plus an odd 0:45 to finish in 19:07. Got overtaken by 2 fast finishers for 10th place. This time last year I got my PB of 18:23, so quite a way to go yet. Always intrigued to see how short my watch measures the course (2.87 miles); hoping maybe my other runs are under-measuring too and I'm faster than I thought!

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Gul-Nice parkrun time.
    Had a go at Aintree half today but the wind wrecked a PB attempt,it was 40-50 mph for the race,started off at PB pace but pulled back to an easy effort after 3 miles when I realised it was pointless.Got round in 1:34 which was Berlin pace,good side is that it was 147 hr vs 154 for the first half in Berlin so despite the poor time it shows I'm in a decent place hopefully.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Very sensible Ian and a good workout in those conditions.
    Not bad at all Gul, and you well beat my time today. Not sure if you use Strava but if so you can see all the other runners and check their race distance. Sometimes Garnim misses the inclines on a hilly course and measures it short. Jesmond Dene is very hilly so we are all showing c3 miles. The leaders today took a wrong turn so I was flattered by finishing 9th with a 20:21.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    A good workout given the hilly course OO.

A sensible decision Ian and good pace for the HR.

That's still a pretty good time Gul.

Good tempo DT. And well done on securing the NY place in what sounds like an undignified bunfight!  I'm still mentally scarred from Staverton 10!  It was a small field, c. 250, so a bit sparse on numbers around the 62- 65 minute mark.  The course is flat, two loops but run mainly on pavements rather than closed roads.  That said, it seems to be popular with local runners and the winning time (49:29) was far from slow!  I had a place at Canterbury 10 on the same day and am half wishing I had done that instead!

Bad news on the local marathon Leslie but the focus on the half sounds sensible.

TR - I'll do the MP runs at Wokingham HM and Bath HM.  I would struggle to hot MP pace on these runs outside of a race!

Busy week at work for me but a bit more relaxed now January is out of the way.  Just as well it was a cut-back week or I would have struggled to get the runs in.  31 days running in January for a total of 333.7 miles (I knew that last run was .4 miles too long!).   6 recovery miles in windy conditions along the Thames in Hampton today whilst supporting the oldest.  Legs feeling a bit cranky in general and they haven't recovered as much as I'd hoped this week so the next few weeks could go either way!
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Dt another cracking tempo especially with the wind . I'm sure my knee has something to do with over tight muscles ,when I step possibly my IT band ? pulls sideways on the kneecap briefly each step as the weight goes on which causes irritation over a run and Tight quads don't help either so I try and stretch those. I've had one operation in 2015 to remove a bone growth so it will never be right I guess. Trying one legged squats recently again but any lower than say a 4 inch drop and these really hurt but I need to try them anyway.Glad you got in seems they made a bit of a mess of it.
    GUl nice Parkrun and soon be sub 19 again  but that is quite a bit short by your watch , I'm guessing the course is accurate mine usually comes out at like 3.08 and it has loads of turns.Nice time but the sprint finish needs a little work to keep those 2 behind you !
    Ian good decision no way your are going to smash 50 mph winds unless they are tailwinds which would be fun , I remember doing laps along the riverfront in a storm once with the wind I was going about 6m/mile with hardly any effort amazing until I faced the wind then I had to crouch down to go forwards and not be blown away into the river lol ........
    0054 not bad for the second race of the week and a hard course.
    SBD cracking mileage and nice round numbers too no wonder there are a few creaks.

5m with strides tonight after work and 200m for the month of January which is my highest since may 17 .........Don't think id want to do much more than that these days for now anyway.

• Options
    Quick check-in post Thorpe & Egham half. Got lucky with the weather, no rain, decent temp.and only a bit of wind. Plan was to run @ 6:40 pace, try and log 3 miles every 20mins.

Went out a little fast, first 3 in 19 mins, then settled down, picked someone to pace with and just cranked out the miles feeling steady. Picked it up at 11miles to come in at 1:26:44 which I'm pretty happy with for a steady run.

17 for the day with w/up and Cooldown. High 40s for the week.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Amazing monthly mileage for January SBD.
    Well done Nicko you held it back nicely, and still a good time.
    59 miles here for the week as expected.
  • Options
    Nicko nice controlled half and a cracking time well done.
    0054 good week there 

10 x 400m tonight mostly around 1:32 so 6:15 pace with 60 secs walk between ,getting into a nice stride without having too work too hard and wind not too bad except in 2 reps. 

45 mile for the week.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Some good weekend running, gang.
    Nice 400s, Leslie. Solid pace.
    Excellent weekly total, OO. I've never hit that number,
    Nice work at Egham, Nicko. Had some Woking pals in that event.
    Incredible monthly total, SBD. Well over double what mine was (149) and almost half of wnat my campaign total will be. Wow!
    Solid HM in the wind there, Ian.
    Well done on NYC perseverance DT. Are you definitely in?

Only a 14 miler on Saturday at LSR pace as I was on a cutback week (37 miles). Followed up with a 5k recovery yesterday.

Need 50 miles this week. Should be interesting as I have a stinking head cold.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD- Some great mileage there for the month.

Nicko, great effort in the half. Sounds like you are in good shape.

Nice going on the parkrun, Gul. It's not easy to challenge top end 5k pace when knee deep in mara training.

Ian, sensible decision at Aintree. No point destroying yourself. Are you doing Village Bakery this year? I have read on social media that there were only 500 places made available for non-nyrr gfa. Pretty much eradicating the gfa concept at that race. There is still a lot of confusion as to who is and is not in. The thinking is if in your account your status says 'pending' (as mine does) then you grabbed a place. If it says 'pending drawing' then you are in the ballot. I won't relax about it though until my status is updated to accepted/approved. It'll make it even more exciting to be running the race, particularly on the 50th anniversary.

Nice reps, Leslie!

OO- Not too shabby an effort at parkrun, after Thursdays effort as well.

I rounded off last week with an easy 17m giving me about 56. Similar planned again this week then a mini taper for the Village Bakery half, then it is full steam mara training. The 17 was remarkably comfortable, probably my most enjoyable since last April, which suggest the body is adapting.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Ian - shame about the weather. Good effort and looking promising.
    OO - nice parkrun. Whatever the issue with the distance, it's not due to a hilly course. Only 17 feet elevation here :)
    SBD - stonking mileage. Are you ready for the LT and Endurance phase?!
    Leslie - great to see you hit 200 miles a month again. And yes, just any kind of sprint finish would be an improvement.
    Nicko - very nicely executed. Looking very good.
    Rest yesterday, so 58 for the week. This morning's session was 11 with 5 @ LT. Felt a bit under the weather, but decided to still go for it and not look at my watch. Turned out a tad slower than the LT run from 2 weeks ago. But last 3 miles were the fastest, so fairly pleased overall.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    x post with Gul. Good session, all about the effort in those sessions as opposed the pace.
  • Options
    Yes x-posts! Nice long run to finish a good week, DT.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-Crazy mileage there,well done.
    Nicko-Very nice half there,bodes well for the next few months.
    DT-No I'm not,its the week before Seville so missing it this year,pity as it's a nice race.Nice long run.
    Leslie-Good miles for you,hope it continues.
    Decided to have a rest day yesterday as it was pretty hectic in work,starting tapering now so waiting for the fake illnesses to start telling my head I'm unwell.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Back to NYC,I wonder if they've restricted it to 500 non-nyrr to increase participation in their own races as I think that still guarantees entry.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Ian- Not sure really, and the 500 is something someone posted on fb without anything to back it up. Something has clearly changed for them to go with 30 minutes, and I can't see that simply being the attraction of the 50th anniversary has made them go so fast. 500 places for the rest of the world, outside New York, isn't much.

4m recovery yesterday followed by spin. Session over lunchtime planned, bloody windy again.

• Options
    Ian - hope you enjoyed the rest day.
    DT - good luck this lunchtime. It was a bit blustery here this morning.
    Pleased to get a long run in today. 10 @ 8:10/m and 10 @ 7:39/m to make 20 in all. 
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Gdawg hope you are better soon , my daughter was off school last 2 days with a virus  and yes she has been at school with a group of Chinese kids over on an exchange over this last 2 weeks !!!!!!!! Its not corona though !
    GUL another cracking 20 you make it look easy .

Club tonight and 1200m Kenyan hills ( up and down with no rests ) unfortunately this was week 3 and 5 laps (started at 3) and I missed all the others so I was at a bit of a disadvantage !

Pace was hard from the start and there was no letup in the front group , we covered 7.5 mile in 49 1/2 minutes so an average of 6:35 m /mile overall which is faster than I have went on the flat lately ! Did the best I could to hang in there (there were 3 of us up front) but it was very tough indeed and the last lap uphill was a world of pain lol and 2 of us fell off a few metres from the lead but made it back up on the downhill which was covered at a spritely 6:06 pace !  10.75 mile in total . Whacked now ...........
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice session, Leslie. I do miss that group session chasing doing everything alone. 

Gul, great 20 there. 

9.5m over lunchtime with 5 x 1m at HMP off 0.5m easy float. The wind was blowing strong and i started the first rep half way up a straight and straight into the wind. The problem was that each rep then ended up starting about 0.2 miles further back down that straight so by rep 3, 0.8m was straight into it. 

I was however surprised by what i managed for a steady, not hard effort. Splits came in 6.16, 6.16, 6.11, 6.12 and 6.11. Felt controlled in that there was no desire to stop or really slow the 0.5 intervals down, coming in about 7.50 pace and no hands to knees puffing at the end. Bodes well for next sunday. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Another cracker there DT. Great splits again, nice one.
    Good session, Leslie. Hope your daughter is feeling better.

Felt a lot better tonight. Ran with a mate who wanted to jump in.
    Session was 12 miles of alternate miles, with efforts at 6.4x pace with 1 mile easy recovery miles.
    Efforts came out at 6.39, 6.37, 6.45, 6.45, 6.42, 6.40.
    Average for the trip was 7.14.

Really pleased with that, never felt we were at full pelt and had plenty in the tank, kept our discipline to hit the splits. A much needed boost and good sign that training is working.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

A good set of mile reps G-D.

Some good speed on those HMP reps DT - looking for the HM.

That's a solid 20 miler Gul.  How many have you done so far?  This is the P&D phase when my body usually breaks but I'm hoping to hold things together this time!

That sounds like a tough session Leslie.  Like DT, doing all my runs solo, I miss the competition element of those sessions.

Not good developments at NYC - I would like to run this in 2021.

The rest will do you good Ian.

That's a great time at Egham for a steady pace nicko.  Does that feel like MP?

Finished the recovery week with a steady 16 miles in very windy conditions at Dorney Rowing lake.  Legs feeling far from recovered but hopefully the new shoes (the standard Asics 2000 GT) will help.  Tempo Tuesday yesterday.  I was expecting a bad session but the legs felt surprisingly good when I cranked up the speed to tempo effort.  10K covered in 39:05 for an average HR of 165, with 4K w/u and w/d to give 11 miles for the day.  A much needed confidence boost.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That sounds like a pretty meaty session, g-dawg. Good work.

SBD-Nice going, hopefully they'll be coming in sub 39 soon. I tend to know when it's time to change my shoes as it feels like my whole body is battered all the time. Seems like they stop absorbing any impact at all. I changed mine over to a fresh pair about 10 days ago and feels much better now.

Popped in for a weighin this morning. 70.3kg, down from 70.6kg last week. Nominal loss but still heading towards sub 70kg which is the goal.

Easy 9m planned later.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice work on the weight there DT.

It was the Wednesday weigh-in for me today. Dropped a couple of pounds to 12st 10lbs (80.7kg or 178lbs)

Going in the right direction and lighter than this stage last year. Just 3lbs to shift to achieve the target.
  • Options
    Leslie - great hill work.
    DT - smashed those reps. Sterling effort. Weight looking good.
    GD - glad you're feeling better. Nice session too.
    SBD- that's a great tempo run. P&D seems a bit light on long runs (although there are a couple of 20+ miles coming up!). So far I've done 17, 18 (should be 17), 16 (MLR), 20, 18, 16 (MLR), 20.
    Recovery run today, 5 to gym, 30 min swim, then 2 miles home. HR almost always ridiculously high after a swim ( AVG 187 / MAX 202). Just the watch, I hope. HR is usually much lower than I'd expect e.g. yesterday's long run AVG of 119
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Good work on your weight loss, gdawg. I'm hoping this time next week I'll be under 70kg/11st. If so thatll be the lightest I've been in like 20 years. 

Gul, 119 average!!! I've never been for a run at any level and been below 125! 

9m easy over lunch. 7.55mm for 139hr which is incredubly good for me.