Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    DT/GDawg-Good work on the weight loss,can only help come race day,and both with a very good session.
    Lesley-Same comment on your session,I stopped running with a group as I was pushing too much and it aggravated my achilles.
    SBD-That's a really strong pace,looking good again.
    An after work 10k around MP today,always hard to judge but it came out pretty good,pretty consistent allowing for the hill near home,came out at 6:52 pace which is a bit faster than I'm planning at the minute,will have a longer run at the weekend and see how it feels,heart rate wise it was lower than usual MP but as it's watch based I take it with a pinch of salt.
    I've not ran this route,at pace, for a few months so nice to see lots of Strava PR's decimated.

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Dt nearly there on the weight , I put on 0.4kg this week which is near what I took of last week I think ...so a little disappointed  ..
    Gdawg 3 lb you will be there in no time . Nice sessions never tried mile on/mile off yet.

GUL your heart monitor is a liar make no mistake  lol ! Have you a hr chest strap to try ?

SBD another cracking 10k new shoes worked well.

IAN nice mara pace there for a sub 3 , I like the competition although I have no issue thrashing the legs of myself when I can't go to club due to work as well so not sure that would save me ...

5 slow ones today 

• Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Hi Everyone,

It's been quite a while since I posted, but lurking in the shadows following all the chatter here. Work is just eating me up again. Very little sleep during the week, then trying to binge over the weekend to recover a bit, then back into the fire Monday. But good things coming from the effort. Running-wise, I have tried to keep on HADDing in an effort to maintain the speed and fitness gained from the marathon. It translated into a period of shorter subLT efforts (6 to 8 M instead of the normal 10). At first I kept the speed, but only for say 5-7 miles. Then I lost some speed and HR was going up and endurance/fitness eroding. Part due to lack go sleep I think. And part due to losing a proper LR. So have turned that around a bit. This week nailed two full 10M subLT sessions where HR shifted down, endurance returned, and pace not too bad (6:5X m/m ave). Easily finished and under control. Hopefully this will continue. Last fall I was at upper 6:30/low6:40ish pace before the marathon on these efforts. Ideally I'd like to see that come back and surpass. I averaged 6:59/mile in the marathon. So not too far off the pace to dip under 3 hr. That is my next goal. Might be lofty, but worth a try. 

Headed to St. Thomas again this year for our family vacation. Will leave this Sat for a week in paradise. Really need this break. And I can run in shorts! It's been a mix of really cold and snow/ice for a while now. But I've got the gear and will so end result is miles in the bank and really enjoyable hot showers after:) 

212 miles for Jan despite taking quite a few days off.

Everyone here seems in good shape. Enjoying sharing vicariously in the marathon programs. Not sure if I'd be ready to do it full on again yet. Autumn is my target. And good racing by many here. Some really blazing efforts in the cold months.
  • Options
    One final thought. I've been running in Kinvara 7s for a couple of  years now (bought up a bunch; gone through 18 pair!). Can't get any more and not liking the new models (V9 or v10). Just read the new v11 is worse yet. Anyone have suggestions for a similar shoe to the Kinvara? Really loved where I was at. I hate when this inevitably happens. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Welcome back VT and have a great holiday 👍
  • Options
    DT -  well done on the weight loss; that's light as hell. Good to hear the 17miler felt good, you should be in for a good half marathon this weekend. Congrats on New York - what age group are you for GFA?
    Gul - always impressed with your midweek 20s!
    Leslie - that's an awesome hill session - 6:35/mile for that distance would be impressive on the flats! That's the kind of work I need to make sure Newton hills don't destroy me.
    G-Dawg - great alternate miles session
    SBD - yes comparing to this time last year that felt like the pace I'd be able to hold for full mara with a bit more volume put in over the next few months. Spent most of the time just trying to keep my mind active to pass the time! Another excellent 10k tempo, very impressive
    VTRunner - welcome back, looks like some decent training and pace in the last week so getting back there.

Nike announced new Alphafly yesterday, looks ridiculous but within the new guidelines to be allowed at olympics, they'll launch a limited amount at the end of this month in order to have made them available for the required 4 month period pre-olympics.

Recovery 4 on Monday, no time to run Tuesday then a 7 mile treadmill fartlek last night ranging paces from 8:30 - 5:40 / mile. Was supposed to just be a 6 mile tempo but wasn't feeling it. Hills or track tonight, Neither sound fun.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Saw the AlphaFly Next% last night. Ridiculous looking shoe. All feels a bit cynical by Nike to get them out to the masses before the new regs kick in. Not seen any stats but that shoe could be a bit of tech too far. The track shoe actually looks like a forefoot spring machine.

https://www.runnersworld.com/uk/gear/shoes/a30777696/nike-alphafly/

Managed 7 recovery miles yesterday lunchtime. 7 or 8 tonight, depending on how I feel after work. Will just be steady.
  • Options
    The shoe conforms to the regulations - stack height of 39.5mm and only a single carbon fiber plate rather than the 3 that were talked about.

They need to get them out by the end of.the month in order to have had them publically available for long enough to allow their athletes to use them in Tokyo.

The viperfly track shoe is the one that doesn't meet regulations; looks like an insect's leg
  • Options
    DT - good easy run.
    Ian - tidy MP run looking good.
    Leslie - yes, I do have a chest strap but my Garmin doesn't pair with other HRM devices. Says it all really!
    VTr - good to hear from you again. Pleased things are picking up again. Enjoy the holiday, sorry, vacation!
    Nicko - why not combine both with some hillwork to warm up and then a set of short fast reps ;)
    GD - your steady pace is usually not exactly hanging around :) 
    Ignoring the shoe talk :)
    15 easy miles this morning, so a big chunk of this week's miles already in the bag. Forgot to say that there is now a tiny bit of daylight by the time I finish my runs :)

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

some decent mileage there, VT.

Nicko, it is if you are 6ft tall, but at 5'8 it isn't all that much. I was 10,13 this morning.

Re NY, I am still a little uneasy as my application is still 'pending' so until it is ticked off as accepted I am not counting my chickens. I'm in the 40-44 age group so a sub 2.58 mara or sub 1.25 half was needed. I had both but used my mara, even though it was the lesser margin, just because I thought for verification purposes it would be clearer being another major.

I've heard the alphafly will be £320!! Nicke are also putting out a general mileage shoe that is closely related to allow runners to be more adapted to the alphafly etc type of shoe when they put them on to race so as to avoid injury risk.

Gul, I dread to think what time you are routinely up and out these days. Well done on the 15.

Ian, nice solid mp run, bodes well.

Easy 5m this morning followed by spin class.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I went back to the GRL lunchtime 5k today. Although conditions were perfect I wasn't feeling on top form and leaked 13 seconds from last week. Still a respectable 18:34 though. I'm going to double up with a club session tonight to punish my tardiness.

I've also entered the Trafford 10k on 1st March. Is anyone here doing this?
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I saw the new shoes and thought it was a joke at first, i think its shocking that nike can launch a new shoe pushing the new boundaries a few days after the boundaries were announced, after a supposed thorough investigation. Nike must hsve been told ages ago what the boundaries were going to be. But ill hopefully be watching Next% prices on black friday this year.

SBD - worthing on Sunday has been cancelled, fair enough with it being seafront based and needing a start and finish, marshals etc in 70mph wind and rain. Its windy enough on the good days as you know. Re the mp, if you do it all in races how do you know if its mp after all ? By HR?
  • Options
    VTR 2 x 10 milers at 6:50 in the one week you are flying , glad to see sub 3 is the goal and a good start with the Jan total , all the best with it.
    Nicko You need to get those tempo's done they are mara gold and yes they hurt but no pain no gain and I bet you'd love those speedy shoes to match your pink ones ! PB's never look ridiculous lol Id wear clown shoes for a sub 3 !!!!!!!!!!! Enjoy the session.
    GUL another big run found any good bargain shoes yet ? 
    DT you might be 6 ft tall in those new Nikes lol proper platform shoes ...
    0054 a fast 5k and a club session sounds very tough to me.
    TR Nike is probably setting the boundaries, I wouldn't be surprised  !

Another club session tonight after Tuesdays brutal hills a 40 minute tempo wasn't a very tempting prospect but it's whats needed...

The result was 6.06 miles in 40 mins so edging closer to that 40 min training 10k ! Those pink shoes could have made the difference !!!!!!!!!!!!

Only 2 of us this time , I set of hard but we paced each other soon after but then we took a different route to the others as they wanted to go though a train platform which would have been carnage at the speed we were going, this though involved more hills which wasn't so good but far less traffic later on . Lots of traffic on the way back and was lucky to avoid a brush with the railings into the marina on a double 90 degree turn trying to  weave round people be glad when we go back to other routes or the park as daylight improves .Slightly outpaced for the first time in weeks in the last 1/4 mile so the competition is closing in again .
    The hills we just flew up this time as they felt like mole hills after Tuesday 
    Miles were ...6:40 , 6:55, 6:26, 6:46, 6:24, 6:25 so 6:36 m/mile  average for the run with about 9 miles in total.
    3 of those miles are what was/is my current 5k pace lol so pleased with that .

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020

Worthing would have been grim TR - so probably just as well they cancelled early!  For me MP would equate to a HR of c. 165, so I would aim to run the 18/12 and 20/14 MP runs as a 5/7 w/u (including 1 mile at MP for the 20/14) and then the HM at a HR of c. 165.  In practice, I'd probably try and run the HM as fast as possible but at an even pace.  Given it's the last 12/14 of 20 miles that would be MP in my mind.  My other approach is to see what pace I can run the last couple of miles of a mid-week 15 miler or weekend 20 miler with the HR at c. 165 - this would equate to MP, particular as you get closer to marathon day. 

No Trafford 10K for me OO.  That's a good turn of speed at the GRL lunchtime 5K.

Good work on the weight DT - I'm struggling at the moment!  It might be worth emailing NYRR to check on the status of your application.  My 2018 application originally got rejected because they couldn't verify my HM time but they were pretty responsive through email. 

A good 15 miler Gul and good to see you get a glimpse of the sun before the finish!  For Abingdon, I adopted a minimum 20 miles, apart from the initial two weeks and recovery weeks, approach.  So probably ten 20+ mile long runs - not that it did me any good!

Good recovery miles G-D.

Will be interesting to see how many alphaflys are on display at London.  I think I shall stick to the Asics GTs!

A good fartlek nonetheless nicko! MP looking good at this stage.

Good to hear you're ticking over despite the work pressures VT.  Which Autumn marathon are you thinking of and do you have any shorter distance target races over the next couple of months?

Slow ones are good Leslie.

MP looking good Ian.  Which marathon are you running and are you thinking of a Sub 3 attempt?

15 miles mid-afternoon yesterday.  The change of shoes really helped so I'm thinking this may have been the reason for the cranky legs over the last few weeks.  I can't believe I didn't pick this up earlier!  7 recovery miles with strides today.  With the recovery week, I haven't run any strides for at least 10 days - I knew something was missing from my life!

Sunday is not looking good for the long run - I was planning 22 miles - so may have to switch to Saturday.  But that would mean a recovery run on Sunday which would seem very strange!

• Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Leslie-Another good pact run.
    OO-Thats a great lunchtime effort.
    SBD-Nice 15 miles,10x20 miles,that is domd going.I am doing Seville in 2 weeks,I am all over the place with my time,do I play safe and try and get 3:03ish and hopefully secure gfa for 2021,or now I've done NYC, London doesn't have the same pull so just go for it as it's only running?
    Anyway 8 nice miles after work,felt pretty easy and a nice steady pace,was planning 14 on Sunday but may change it round with the weather we are due.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Speedy stuff from OO again
    New shoe revelation from SBD. Shame we’re not sponsored and get new trotters every month.
    Quick miles there Leslie. Nice one.

8 steady miles at 7.24 pace tonight. Felt quite strong, so treated myself to a 6.34 final mile. Rest tomorrow then the first 20 of the campaign on Saturday.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Decent outing all the same, OO.

Enjoy the 20, gdawg.

Ian, I think sometimes you need to just go for it, by which I take it you mean sub 3? Even if you go wrong in the last 6, you might only leak a few minutes and still get gfa. Even a big drop like 1 minute per mile in the last 6 , if you are on for 2.59 at that point is still within the gfa realms. Just try and run the first half with caution i.e 6.55 pace as opposed 6.45 thinking you need to bank time, then if you aren't that fit the collapse won't be terrible, if you are that fit then pick it up to 6.50 pace at halfway.

Leslie, great work and yes some special shoes would have done the job.

SBD, I have been checking my dashboard on their website and it still says pending. They state it'll take upto 2 weeks and its only been one.

As per SBD, I have just moved my training around around so instead of a 9m tempo today and 17m easy sunday with some gym classes tomorrow it is now 8m easy today and 7m easy sunday then a mixed pace long tomorrow with 5m wu then 2 x 5m at lower end of mp with 1m recovery interval and 1m cd. Glad I didn't have  a target race on sunday.

So I decided to have an interim weigh in today as my house scales again had me under 11st. Bodytrax had me at 69.4kg today. Quite happy if I can sit there now until London.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    OO - that's certainly more than respectable.
    TR - let's hope for some better weather soon.
    Leslie - great session; shame there were only the 2 of you. No bargains here unfortunately; must try out my new shoes soon.
    SBD - I thought it was Abo where you smashed it? Must have done something right! Hope the long run works out okay.
    Ian - sounds like a swap would be good.
    GD - very solid steady run.
    9 recovery miles with strides this morning plus a 30 min swim. Pleased to report HR of 114 for the last bit of the 9 miles after the swim 😀
    X-post DT - you've reminded me that I still haven't got my scales back yet.

• Options
    DT - there'll be nothing left of you by London!
    Leslie - another great club run there - you're right about the tempos, I'll get them back in, maybe just a bit tired after the HM on Sunday.
    OO - decent lunchtime 5K; I might try my local parkrun knockoff soon as well.

Track session last night rather than the hills (they are looming for next week)

4 x (800m, 200m jog, 400m) + final 800m. First track session in a while I've been really happy with. I think 800s started at 2:52 and went down to 2:44; 400s from 80secs down to 72secs. About 7.5miles total with 3mi warmup and 1mi cooldown.

Also moving long run to Sat morning - think I'll run to parkrun, do the course twice at moderate pace, then home the long way to up the mileage; then just some easy miles very early sunday before wind hits.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Ive been defending Vapofly on social media, but those new shoes look ridiculous.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Thanks for the advice,I'll probably change my mind 20 times between now and the race.
    10 miles after work today felt very easy,the weather is looking back Sunday-Tuesday now so will see how the start of next week unfolds.
    OO-I think I'm the only person who likes the new shoes,small release on the 29th if anyone is interested,recently got a 25% off voucher to use...
  • Options
    Ian - if you don't want anything yourself I'd definitely be a taker for that voucher.

Yes, I'm a sucker for hype.
  • Options
    Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nicko-I will have a look and let you know.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    if it's a birthday discount then i think Ian will need to actually make the purchase himself. It's a non transferable code. 

Im quite happy with my Next % for now. I'll upgrade next year. Im not interested in how running kit looks generally. I just buy the cheapest option for what i want,ceven if a more expensive colour is much nicer. 

SBD, i meant to ask, what was the process? Did you get a message asking for further evidence? That's why i put my london time in as opposed by faster half time. Given it was first come first served i just wanted them to have the easiest one to find. 

Off out soon for mixed pace long. 
  • Options
    Nice one thanks ian

1st 20 miler of the campaign done this morning, ran 5 miles to parkrun, 2 easy goes round the course, approx 21:30 and 22:15, then a 9 mile slog home to average just under 8/mile for the run. Legs now in pieces.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done, Nicko. 

I did 17.5 this morning with 5m easy then a session of 5m at mp- 1 easy- 5 at mp followed by 1.5m cd. Average pace for the session was 6.53 with the reps all coming in 6.4x. 

For some reason i wasnt expecting this to be particularly challenging, which perhaps was misconceived on my part.

Last 2m of the session were hard work. 

Now, having got that done and just an easy 7m tomorrow to give my first 60m week of the campaign, do i enjoy a few beers with the rugby this pm or so i focus on recovery like someone that takes this stuff seriously would....
  • Options
    Nicko - cracking work at the track and great long run too.
    Ian - good easy 10.
    DT - tidy long run with MP.I think you've earnt a beer.
    Ended up doing a double today. 13 @ 7:19/m early doors. Then unexpectedly went to parkrun with a friend to accompany his son. Did another 7 miles in all inc. a PW of 35:16 parkrun! Brings up 82 for the week, so  I'll take a rest tomorrow 😀
  • Options
    Beers, always beers DT. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    First 20 miler of the campaign here too. Undulating course in places. Surprised to feel strong in parts of it but overall it finished with some hard work after a hard couple of sessions recently.

Will just do a 4 mile recovery tomorrow to hit 52 for the week.

Now watching rugby and seen off a G&T already. Beers lined up for the second half.
    Suggest you do the same, DT, unless you really are going to take on Kipchoge and Bekele?  ;)
  • Options
    Dropping in to check that you are all still training hard. No slacking please. Looks like some excellent training going on. Spring maras not too far off.

GD it hasn't been the most entertaining day of rugby has it...

Little to report here; another England vest for Poachette who was 2nd lady in a big HM in Catalonia, only to find that there were cash prizes for the men's podium and nothing any all for the women. Surely this is not on in 2020. She's running well though. 

I'm still in treatment, looks like road running is over for good but a muddy 27.58 min Parkrun this morning seemed like a triumph. The phys and the orthotist (is that a word?) say do lots of gym, weights and swimming but none of those is exactly joyful compared to running!

Keep up the effort everyone, looking forward to reports of successful racing.