Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Knocking that much time off a wr for such a relatively short distance is amazing, almost too amazing!! That's nearly 10s per mile which at that level is ridiculous.

Decent going after the 20, Nicko.

Standard Monday 4m recovery and spin for me last night. Mini session later today as I am tapering again.

• OO - is the pool too busy?
    DT - nooooooo!
    GM - sticking to P&D. Never done a HM without specific training before. Not feeling confident!
    Sub17pr - clearly shows how much of a difference the shoes are making.
    Nicko -   still a tidy progressive run.
    9 easy miles this morning. 18 or 15 tomorrow depending on time available.
  • TBF they only started to 'keep' world records for some distances recently, and 5km on the road was one of those.  So Wanjiru's 13.00, which pre-dated the decision to keep world records, didn't count, but the new WR is only 9s faster than that.  Still a fantastic run, but not the enormous breakthrough it can look like.

13 yesterday and 15 today (that long run on Friday may have been grim, but at least it means my legs were a bit fresher than normal on a Monday and Tuesday!).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    More good miles Jools, I'd struggle to to do that after Sunday long one. I took a rest day yesterday instead. I get an off peak rate at the pool Gul. If I go during school hols it's more than double the cost and I'm a bit cheap I know 😉

I attacked the garden this morning, first time I've been out since autumn. Does that count as cross training?
  • Nicko nice progression on tired leg
    DT only 40 mph winds sure you are well used to those conditions by now lol , I only need another 3 miles at my race pace for that sub 90 and but need it in 5 weeks !
    GUL cranking out the big miles as usual.
    Jools a 13 and a 15 you are getting plenty done these days.
    0054 nice to get another race booked.

4 easy yesterday and 10 x 400m today the first was way off then most were 90 secs with a 1.24 near the end when another runner went by with a 200m lead but was caught before 400m just couldn't resist lol 

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

A tidy set of reps Leslie.  And an excellent time at the 10 mile race on Sunday given the weather.

Careful you don't injure those running muscles OO!

That's a lot of miles for Monday & Tuesday Jools.  Good observation on the 5K WR time - although it did look like there were a lot of VP's on show.

Good easy miles Gul.  No need for any specific HM training - P&D will deliver.

Good recovery miles after the Sunday 17 DT

Sounds like hard work on the club progressive nicko.

Hope the knee is OK Gerard.

Tempo Tuesday was back with a vengeance tonight.  I'm still finding these sessions a bit of a mental battle but so far I've been coming out on top.  I thought I would struggle to match last week's session but managed to squeeze a few more seconds off the 10K tempo section, so 38:56 and, even better, the average HR was only 165 compared to last week's 168.  So all heading in the right direction and, with the w/u and w/u, 11 miles in total.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    A cracker there SBD. Well battled.

Stepped out the door tonight and could feel the rain had started. Decided to put another layer on and hit the yellow jacket on. Lucky I did, it absolutely hammered down. The wind joined in and rain was hitting me sideways.

The session was supposed to be a 12 made up of two 5 mile tempo sessions but that was all out of the window as the wind pushed me all over the road and the cold rain soaked me through. There was no point in pushing for pace.

So just ran the session at steady pace and ended up with 12 miles at 7.28 pace. Felt strong in places but I was mighty miffed at being forced to change the session. All good miles I suppose...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes good going, all adds to the mix , g dawg. 

Another great tempo, SBD. 

Jools, good start to the week. i find i can do similar if i do my longrun on a Saturday. 

Nice reps, Leslie. 

Nice 9, Gul. 

Mini session last night of 8 x 3 minutes up and down a small section of the a38. Went comfortably enough with desired paces hit.

In other news, finally had my e mail over night confirming my NY acceptance. Very excited to be running the 50th edition. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Get in there DT!
    Really pleased for you mate. Sounded like a bit of an admin shambles this year compared to last but you're in and can now start planing the whole trip. 
    I loved New York, been there twice now and will definitely go again. I'd also do the race again, I thought it was awesome. Certainly not a PB course for me but what an experience.

Next tip, if you're staying in Manhattan, book the coach ride to the start as soon as it's announced. That's a whole experience in itself!

7 or 8 planned for tonight with some tempo parts. I will get some speed work done, I will!!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    im there purely for the experience. not worried about chasing times. 

The thing is the organisers have never found themselves in this position before and i think they struggled. There were complaints from folk who have qualifying times who just apply and run NY every year who suddenly couldnt even put an applic in. Then there was talk that even if you got one in they might have take way more applics than places. The organisers communication was poor and they were avoiding answering straight questions. 

Yes, I'm taking your advice and trying to stay mid town, close to Times Square etc so i can take a bus. 
  • Jools - nice back to back MLRs.
    OO - got to save those pennies. Gardening is far too much like hard work. Mrs GD says she thought I was supposed to be fit when I'm dying after digging the garden ;)
    Leslie - good to see you haven't lost that competitive edge.
    SBD - belter of a tempo. I trust P&D will deliver on the day of the marathon; but we'll see how the half goes!
    GD  - frustrating but still a good session.
    DT - that's great news! Worth all the hassle in the end 
    18 this morning inc. 12 @ MP effort which came out at 7:10/m. Hoping to get nearer 7:00 but that will do for now.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great news DT, you will love it. With Berlin as well you have an exciting year in prospect.
    Amazing Gul, how can you run so fast so early?
    GDawg that's a great sesh anyways- good perseverance in the conditions.
    I did a pacey club sesh with some fast lads. 3*1500 on the road. The fastest came out at 5:30 per mile pace which was at the limit. Easy one today I think.

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Brilliant news,was hoping it would come through as I seen a lot getting emails the last day or so.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

That's shifting some on those intervals OO.

That's a good pace on those MP miles Gul - a difficult session to do on your own.

Good news on the NYC place DT.  Will be interesting to see the stats on how many places were offered if they ever make them available.

That's still a good session G-D - if the weather's not playing ball there's not much you can do.

A bit windy here this afternoon and still quite a bit of water around.  15 miles completed on the country roads.  A bit sluggish to start with but then picked up the pace in the second half, so 5 miles splits of 7:58, 7:43 and 7:04, average of 7:35.

Wokingham HM on Sunday but this will be an untapered MP run.  A bit less wind than currently forecast would be nice but I may just try and sit at the back of the 1:25 pace group.

• SBD another sub 39 great stuff.
    Dt glad you got in after all the hassle.
    GUL cracking MP run and more to come no doubt.
    0054 glad your club mates got to run with a fast lad like yourself more like !!!!!!! Hope you didn't push them too hard !

5m slow and easy today and quite windy.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Leslie I'm 10-20 years younger than most of my club mates. I'm still in the fast group but those young pups keep me on my toes, and I keep them honest 😇
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, it also baffles me how you can do what you do so early in the morning, but it works so good stuff!!!

One day one of us will report a non windy run, Leslie!!

Nice 15, SBD. the wind forecast for Loughborough is dropping nicely, under 15mph now!

Solid session, oo.

Easy 7m last night, followed by a pretty decent effort at a spin class.

Weighed in this morning at 10st 11, started out at 11,6 early January. My trousers are falling down at work and my belt is already on the last buckle!!

Easing into taper today with an easy 5m and bodypump.

• OO - And how can you run so fast later in the day?! Of course you are young, but did you mean 10-20 years older rather than younger? Very speedy reps.
    SBD - I hope the weather is kind on Sunday. 15 miler still to do for me. Then we'll be halfway through the campaign.
    Leslie - nice easy run. One day it will be calm, dry and sunny again.
    6 recovery miles and a haircut 😀
  • X-post again DT! Looking more promising for Sunday. I tried running in the evening a few times and felt like a lethargic blob of lard.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    DT weight in spec and wind dropping you are ready for takeoff come Sunday lol ! Running in the wind now we will be fast in Summer (I hope ).
    Gul some people just can run early in the morning, I could in the past but I struggle to get out of bed early (ish) when I don't have to and I generally struggle before 10 am to function now . Its partly the rubbish weather  but its more a mental block I think ,looking forward to Summer , low lying sun today was in my eyes as it went down at 4 and just annoying reflecting of wet pavement.
    0054 is that you are older as Gul said otherwise your club-mates are in their 70's ? Most of my clubmates are early/mid 30's but struggle for time to train with young kids etc so far from their best and anybody over 50 appears to have just dropped to a plod ( fun runners as my coach used to say lol ) , at 47 I'm finding this a bit sad !!!! You show it doesn't always be that way so fair play .......

Best burn it up while I still can then up from night shift for a 5 mile tempo , struggled to get going and a bit off the pace but best I can do 7:03, 7:08, 7:04, 7:11 and 7:05 to finish and 7.5 mile total. I had to turn every 1k as was going along the dual carriageway which slowed me a tad too. It may be a long night at work !

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry Gul and Leslie, of course I meant older 🤣
    Today's great run local was a windy affair so pleased with 18:14 which far exceeded my expectations and got me 3rd finisher. 

The 50+ secret for me Leslie is lots of easy miles, lots of eyeballs out 5k races, lots of swimming, staying low weight (a bit less than in my 40s) and....retirement 😉
    As DT said, what Gul does with fast early morning long runs, is an ability I've completely lost.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Another superb 5k OO,  always putting the youngsters to shame.
    Nice windy Tempo Leslie
    DT 
    slowly vanishing away to nothing with the weight loss, you'll smash it at the weekend. Congrats on getting New York, that 6 star medal is getting closer.
    Good luck Sunday SBD, 1:25 should be very comfortable.

Had to skip training with Herne Hill harriers due to time issues on Tuesday, 7.5 Wednesday before work along the river by Battersea was very nice though.

Weston Prom 5 miler last night, was apprehensive as very windy out there and if had an ill-timed lunchtime sports massage so a bit sore. Turned out Ok though, held on for 30:43 which is only 7s off my PB in October. Happy with that considering the hard work in headwinds.

Nice to see Joolska there picking up an age category win (Gaz has a lovely bottle of wine for you from the prizes).

13 for the day with warm/cool and short morning run.
  • Leslie - good burn up! Low lying sun is a problem in the summer too - 4am lol.
    OO - very nice 5k. Running faster in the morning is easier before you retire - if not you just don't get to run as far :)
    Nicko - excellent 5 mile race in those conditions - and congrats to Jools.
    15 easy miles this morning, avg of 7:57 /m.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Leslie, decent tempo, hope nightshift went well!

Nicko, great stuff on the pb, particularly given the conditions.

Gul, nice steady 15 there.

Just ticking over now ready for Sunday. Weather forecast is currently looking OK. Not perfect, but not terrible. It'll do!

Looking back on my fitbit app from my scales, I am exactly 5lb lighter today than I was the day before my recent 10k pb mid January. That ought to help shouldn't it?

There's a bit of a fall out from last weeks race cancellation in that no refunds have been offered. We have been  given the option of 1 of 3 10ks they operate, none of which I can make.

I was initially pretty relaxed about it as I thought it was organised by a club or monies went to charity, however I have now discovered that it's a profit making company. I sent them an e-mail yesterday using my work e-mail address (being a partner in a law firm I hoped it may make them think) essentially questioning why they didn't have race day cancellation insurance for a rural event in mid February, given I had just obtained a quote for £285. As far as I see things they are just a normal business and should have insured against this risk. I probably won't get a response.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Good to see you, Nicko. A slow 33.18 for me (over 3 minutes slower than my pb...) but a decent tempo run as the schedule required. Gareth is putting the wine in the DX, so given how they break lever arch files that could be interesting!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Interesting parkrun in Keswick today. Nice water jump and windy but great fun. 19:06 and 3rd finisher- 6:07, 6:04, and 5:53 so nice progression.
    19 miles needed tomorrow to scrape 60 for the week.
    Good going Nicko and congrats on the prize Jools- enjoy the wine 👍

• Nicko nice racing and almost a pb 
    GUL nice 15 and the only time I will be seeing low lying 4am summer sun is looking out the canteen window on Nightshft lol !
    DT great at making their own rules some of these organisations though a bit of facebook neg publicity usually winds their necks in a bit .Our local half said no refunds AND no transfers or you are banned next year then after a backlash 48 hrs later they suddenly allow you to defer no issue !!!!!!!!!!
    Jools congrats on the win ,getting back on form again. I was also about 3 mins of pb last week ,unfortunately no wine though for me lol !
    0054 thanks for the tips on the 50 plus , weight I need to work on , was down half a kilo to 75.4 kg but some way to go but the retirement I can't see happening much before 60 at least and shiftwork is definitely slowing me down a fair bit ....will have to get some 5k's /parkruns in as well.

4m death march after nights yesterday  at 10m/mile av and 5m easy today with 6 strides the last one peaking at 4:10 pace if garmin isn't lying ,was really winding it up lol 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    my e mail worked and been told if i mail the director when the date is announced etc, they'll put me in. 

Tough morning today. I turned up and it was sheeting down and blowing a gale. That passed 20m from start but the wind remained high. 

I felt a bit off pace initially, which wasnt surprising when a 6.05 mile popped up. Dialled it back to planned 6.15 pace then or thereabouts. Settled in well, went through 5m in 30.39 which is a 20s pb, then 10k in 38.20. Miles 9-12 were on the airfield and pretty much all of mile 10 was straight into a ridiculous headwind and consequently was my slowest at 6.33. I also went through 10m in circa 55s pb. 

The wind ate away at me in closing miles so delighted to post 82.15 on the garmin for an 80s pb. In neutral conditions i reckon I'd have been at least 30s faster. 

Anyway that was my oldest pb at 18 months. 5k/parkrun now takes that spot at 17 months. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Well done DT, that's a fab time in difficult conditions. Most impressed.
    23 slow ones here for a 63 week.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Well raced DT,definitely more there in decent weather,whenever we get any.
    Seville report.
    Well that was a lesson in how the marathon can hand you your arse occasionally.
    Felt ok yesterday but had a couple of headaches,then this morning my legs had no energy at all,even walking to the start was an effort,not a great sign.
    Decided to not go for the original sub 3 as I wasn't feeling right,and aimed for a PB,by 10k I knew it was going to be a tough day so resigned myself to it.At half I could feel my stomach churning and I've never had that before,tried to carry on but at 16 knew if I didn't stop I'd have an accident,nipped in to a local cafe who let me use the toilet,hoped that would be the end of it but at 22 it happened again.I've never even had to stop for a wee before never mind twice for a number 2.I must have some type of bug or something as I'm normally really good with my stomach,by 24 I literally had no energy and walk/jogged the last bit.
    Really disappointing as i had a good winter and felt strong until yesterday,as I'm typing this I feel sick and weak so the flight home tonight mightn't be the most comfortable.Time was 3:22:29.
    Delighted to see Jonny Mellor with a 2:10:05,puts him 3rd at the minute in the Olympic rankings so hoping he makes it after the commonwealth debacle,had a nice chat to him on the way out and he seems a really nice guy.