Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    TR, yes now I've written it down like that it does sound quite sensible. 

I guess I'll need to be brave in London if i am to truly test my metal. Still got the biggest 7 weeks training to come to squeeze a bit more out!

It might be worth an osteopath trip, SBD. Nice reps, i do dread those sessions more than any others! 

Ive got annual travel insurance policy but i dont believe they'd pay out just because my race was cancelled. Itd have to be placed on the no go list by the government. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-The recovery has gone pretty good,got out for my first run today,8 easy miles after work,felt ok,just a little soreness in the legs but not too noticeable.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    just seen this. Doesnt really tell us a thing. 
  • Sub17parkrun - injury PROOF? They may or may not reduce the likelihood of injury but surely nothing short of not running will make injury impossible?
    DT - that's a stonking tempo run esp. so soon after your HM.
    SBD - cracking reps; worth the pain?
    Ian - nice start to your recovery.
    Yes, I am looking at the possibility of a cancellation very selfishly. I don't stand to lose out much at all financially but after waiting 10 years to qualify I would be gutted!
    7 recovery miles with strides and a 30 min swim.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, If I hadn't run London before I would be looking at it like you are. Though I am sure if it did cancel they would do similar to what Tokyo has done. The UK doesn't appear to have a huge issue just yet and i'd have thought if it got to the point of cancelling London they would first of all need to be taking all top class sports behind closed doors on a weekly basis. The premier league alone must see 400,000 people congregating together and travelling the country every week.
  • They say Boston won't be cancelled but people say a lot of things.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Hopefully will be ok Gul but if not I'm sure we could defer to 2021. 
    Glad to hear you are ok Ian.
    DT saw your 10 miler on Strava, you are absolutely flying.
    I'll do the GRL 5k today. With Trafford in mind I'll not go too crazy 😜
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    I popped out a rather surprising 18:01 at the GRL 5 k today, chasing down club mates for bragging rights, to finish second overall. Even more surprising was the third mile in 5:39 (with a bit of wind assistance). I wish I could edit the above post 🤭
  • Damn that 1 hour edit limit! Cracking time, though 😀
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nike are showing 4% for £167 up to size 10.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    SBD nice 1k reps , struggling with mojo a bit too lately but we need to keep the hammer down ...
    DT cracking tempo for mara pace.
    GUL we would all be gutted for you if London didn't happen if its taken 10 years to get to that start line !!!!!!!!!!
    0054 flying and so close to something starting with a 17  ! Shame you didn't go crazy lol
    First case of Corona virus here tonight , was always going to happen and very little can be done about it , its gone global now and will get rapidly worse (imo) though for most healthy individuals it won't have much more effect than the common cold going by what's been said. 

Had 5 x 1k on Tuesday after work, all at or with a sec of 4 mins , was freezing hard and path was just about to freeze as the footpath on the way up was already froze and some hail during but all grand, was worried about a sweeping bend though with water running over it each rep.  Took Wednesday off as not home till 8pm and CNBA going out then 

Club Tonight 2m warmup,  then 55 min tempo which averaged 6:45m/mile pace and a bit over 8 miles covered with the final one in 6:33 . Just the 2 of us again and only me on the way out as he was late .

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Sounds like you need to find a better club Leslie 😉
    When our fast group is depleted we usually join  the B team as it's always better to be in a decent group.
    If they had a size 12 TR I'd be tempted....
  • 0054 Our fast group run around 70 min half we wouldn't see where they went lol and they train on their own . When I say 2 of us there were about 25 out tonight just they are quite a bit slower , quite a few of the faster ones have fell of the wagon for one reason or another this past year.
  • OO - excellent 5k! Looking good for Sunday.
    Leslie - that is a fast group. Sounds like you're in between the two.
    Not sure if it was down to overeating or a bug at the local Chinese last night for a leaving-do but I cut short this morning's run and went back to bed. 9 slow miles still. Not feeling 100% but I'm sure it won't last long.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Nicko, I think the US has  less than 100 reported cases so far. It would seem a touch ott to cancel things like that.

OO- great taking it easy running at the 5k. I still can't get my head around the timing of it. Is it full of students and retired folk?

Gul, hope you feel better soon. 9m is still a reasonable outing.

Couple of good sessions there, Leslie. There does appear to be quite a gulf at the club.

Recovery 5 and bodypump yesterday. Easy 9m today hopefully over lunchtime, though this rain isn't inviting at present.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hi Gang. Not read through yet, 62 posts to catch up on.
    Have been benched over the past week or so. The dodgy knee has made an unwelcome return., I thought I'd beaten it but it came back at 15.5 miles on my 16 miler last Saturday. So close!

Nothing again on the recovery run the next day, rested Monday then tried some mile reps on Tuesday. all going well in a session that was 7.0x and 6.3x alternates, even found myself holding back a bit, then bang, it came back on 7 miles.

Booked the Fizz and saw him yesterday. He congratulated me on my self diagnosis, Pes Anserinus, an inflamed bursa just below the knee at the point where 3 tendons join the top of the tibia.

He got the ultrasound scanner out and showed me a 3mm problem bit of bursa. He said if it was an Olympic final this weekend (he's a Fizz for England Athletics) he'd give me an injection so I was pain free, however I need let it mend.

So, and get this, I have to do faster runs but over short distances. Magic!
    I can still run which is lucky and I needed some concentrated speed work anyway. He said the angle of the leg on LSRs will not suit the injury whereas short intervals will be fine.
    So, today is day 3 of rest, legs feel good and I'll do some sort of short interval stuff from tomorrow.

5 sessions per week is OK and I have to see him again in 10 days.
    I won't be doing the Surrey HM next week by the look of it as London is the bigger picture.

Time to read back...
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Bad news G Dawg but sounds like you might get away with it. How about a parkrun, maybe at variable pace 😉
    DT there are also a lot of folks on flexible hours or office workers who work nearby and slip out at lunch. Numbers and quality (at the sharp end) well down on a parkrun, which gives you a shot at a podium 😁
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

g-dawg, shame about the injury, though it's not a bad alternative training form to be prescribed.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-51663493?ns_linkname=wales&ns_mchannel=social&ns_source=facebook&ns_campaign=bbc_wales_news&fbclid=IwAR3rHyn6phuKTU2_XGE-czNxXINddkEPEAdTRKUlaTgqFyx6dJJXuKa7qm4

Just been reading this. Those slower than 7.45 will be able to start in wave 2 or 3 to get a headstart. Another crazy attempt to be inclusive?

• Great, let them get in the way of people who actually trained. 8 hours is literally a slow walking pace. I don't have a problem with people doing it at the speed they can handle, but lots of extra resource going into support them? No, just puts the prices up for everyone, more cost per entry for charities, higher cost for ballot places etc.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Correct, nicko. After 8 miles in my 100k ultra last year, I'd covered 40 miles on a hot day and hilly course.
    I think it's time they had a qualifying standard for London. Must be able to do a half marathon in 3 hours. You shouldn't be able enter and possibly turn up having never run 10 to 13 miles or more.
    That way, there will be fewer drop-outs and deferrals, thereby making more room for the following year.

Also, finishers should not be able to enter the following year unless they achieve the GFA standard, of course!  B)

These measures will help widen the chances of entry for dedicated runners who want to experience London but can't hit the GFA times. 
  • 9 hours is steady walking pace: 20.5m/m unless I'm mistaken. I'm not diminishing a 26.2 mile walk (it'll certainly tire most people and leave them sore) but the marathon is a running race. And walkers should not be allowed to obstruct runners, so I hope there will be a hard shoulder for them!
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Lets not forget London is mainly a carnival / charity event now and a lot of those slower runners have paid HUGE monies to get in for their cause. London is massively over subscribed every year so they can do what they want including ratcheting up the GFA times you need a 2:57 at 39 now  !!!!!!!! Now that is a proper good/great for age...  If there is a DJ bus at the back then Id imagine that's where they would want to be staying anyway sounds like a lot of fun rather than getting trampled up the field ! The thought of walking 26 mile or over 8 hrs sounds like hell to me and I doubt there are very many in that group anyway .
    Gdawg only doing faster runs , I bet you loved to hear that lol 
    GUL hope you bounce back soon again, probably the stress of the London mara  and all your hard work to get there .
    MY club has another group that only does up to 5k and track work ,these are mainly younger and fast,  my group is the mara group more middle aged and with a more relaxed outlook ...and 5k is a warmup and the 80 -90 half ability is very thin on the ground now but could change come better weather again .

5 very slow recovery ones , these runs are a right pain/grind  after a hard effort the day before but needs must !
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

As long as London doesn't reduce the GFA numbers, the pandering to the walkers is just about OK!

Recovery runs are the most important runs in the week Leslie!  Looks like you need a few more recruits for your group.

Bad news on the injury G-D but the planned recuperation will do you good.  Shame about missing the Surrey HM.  I've done it the last two years but will be doing Bath this year.

Good recovery miles DT.  Did you use the VF's at the HM?

Sensible decision Gul - hope it disappears by tomorrow.

A good turn of speed at the 5K OO.  Is this a certified course?

11 miles general aerobic late afternoon on the treadmill.  Penultimate 3K at 4:30 m/km pace, for a HR of 147, which is lower than it has been for a while and a final 1K at 4:00 at a HR of 160 which is nicely below marathon effort.  So mojo restored a little, just need to lose the excess 6Kg.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks SBD
     No neither certified nor on P10. The organisation is far too shambolic to count as  anything more that a lunchtime dust up with a small group of keen runners. 
    Not sure if I mentioned but Mrs OO is training for her 1st marathon in Manchester, aiming for sub 5 hours. She does have a fab coach 😁
  • DT - yes, heavy rain at lunchtime isn't great. I didn't go out for my usual walk yesterday; had a lie-down in a darkened room (my office) instead.
    GD - sorry to hear about the injury but sounds like you have the top man on the job!
    Leslie - fair weather runners ;)
    SBD - encouraging session.
    OO - I hope the coach doesn't charge exorbitant fees. Hope it's going well.
    Feeling better today. 17 steady miles to make 69 for the week. Rest tomorrow, so will get some recovery in 😊
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, glad you appear to be better. A good rest is often just the ticket. Good work on the 17. 

SBD, yes used the next%. Odd as usually they leave quads a bit sore as they tilt you forward, but nothing this time. Nice work on the mlr  .

Leslie, yes, i hate my monday 4 at recovery. Always a chore but feel better for it. 

Nice easy 9 yesterday, avoiding the worst of the weather. I like being at this stage where a 9m doesn't touch the sides and by 7pm you've forgotten you've even been out. That left me on 198 for Feb. Second highest feb mileage, 2 off my highest. 

Spin and pump this morning. 

Weight loss seems to have settled now at 10,10/11. To be fair I'd have taken 11st at the start of this so im happy with that and hope i can now stay there. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Paris half mara cancelled in the last hour due to orders from french govt. Yet elsewhere in Paris right now 40000 plus are watching paris sg play football!!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2020
    Would be interesting to hear their explanation for that DT. Maybe they think running will spread the virus en route...
    Trafford 10k in the morning. Weather here is grim so I'm glad it's not an A race.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    I think it's more about people travelling from all over the place to one concentrated place, then going back to all over; so if one person is a carrier, it's spread at the congregation point then spread far and wide.

I risked international travel for the Newport half marathon this morning. Had a shit week and went in with no expectations and little motivation; plus very little warmup due to huge toilet queues. A weird course of half semi-closed dual carriageway, half small paths and backstreets with switchback gates to navigate. Couple of hills in there for good measuer

Rango with the flow but the flow was a bit quick as I clocked a first 3 miles in 18:15, so slowed it down to go through 10k about 10secs slower than PB. Just took it mile by mile seeing if I could hold on and finish. 1st female tool me around 10mile point and I kept her in sight to finish in 1:22:35 for a 35s PB.

Very surprising and happy to log that on a morning I thought would be shit. I think that will be a NY qualifier for next year too.