Sub 3h15



  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    it's only 30 days though and Boston is about 38 days away? 

    Yes, seems crazy to exclude UK. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I fear for Boston after this news and that of the NYC HM being cancelled. Medical teams have been briefed to expect the UK infections to peak mid to late April. That will undoubtedly lead to extensions of such flying policies by the USA.

    Apparently insurance companies are already changing their cover policies to protect themselves from massive cancellation liabilities.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

    I do believe there is little shame in having a plan b here. Whilst we should all focus on plan A, I think that task is much easier knowing you have a plan b. This is all set to peak at the perfect time to ruin many major climaxes to the sporting calendar.

    I was thinking about the euros last night. What a great year to have taken it on the road right across Europe!!

  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Of course, the Euros! I have tickets for the 3rd England game at Wembley against the Czech Republic. Taking it on the road was a bad idea anyway but this situation isn't great. Hopefully the peak will have passed come June.

    If London Marathon goes, I have targeted the Richmond Half as a a potential PB attempt and somewhere to put the training to good use.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

    Yes, I think it defeats the whole ethos of tournament football, not having that bubble, one place camp environment with people from all over Europe meeting up etc.

    I've run 10k, half and 20m pbs in last 8 weeks. If London goes and I don't bother with my plan B the fitness will be used to chase down some other distance pbs.

    I can see the stress of it all for those that are in a bespoke training block for London, but for people like us who bounce from training cycle to training cycle, we haven't wasted our time.

  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    Your right DT, If London is cancelled (I don't have a plan B marathon) it just means I will be fit and fresh for some track races over the summer! Hope the virus and back ease up fairly quickly.

    Rest day last night which was needed, I did have a swim on the plan but I was late finishing work and also struggle to commit to 7 days a week training. Session of 4 x2m at HMP tonight
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Nicko - glad the knee is okay.
    DT - get well soon. At least the lurgy and rest for your back seem to have coincided.
    GD - sounds good. Take it easy today 
    SBD - good MLR. Here's hoping the wind eases up for the weekend.
    OO - is that the lunchtime 5k?
    6 easy miles with strides this morning. If London is cancelled, which seems almost certain, I might just do a solo marathon for charity. I had been thinking about a 24 hour endurance run in June to raise some money but could change plans easily enough.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    It's over 30 days until Boston so might get lucky still.

    SBD - decent long run finish, forgot you were doing Bath - keep an eye out for me - white vest, red stripe, ugly face. I'll be trying the 8-9 warmup then 90 min for the race.

    [EDIT: Just entered Newport Marathon in case Boston situation gets worse -  with refundable entry in case Boston does go ahead]
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Nothing wrong with a contingency plan, im entered ino 3 maras one of which is small. Id rather use my winter training for a mara if possible.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nicko, just seen this. Again not official but a decent source i think. 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Yeah news seems out there but not confirmed. Possibly just one outlet reported a source and more picked it up; but looking very much like a postponement
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    Glad everyone is getting a few plan b's and C's in !!!!!!!!! The only mara I might have chanced cancelled itself in Jan and not really up for a mara anyway just yet. I have however 2 half's this month and hoping at least 1 is still on (21st and 28th)
    Virus hasn't really got a hold here yet but no doubt it will ramp very soon.All sort of Domesday plans are being cooked up at work including thermal scanners on the way in, halving number seats in canteen to  give more space between people ,split breaks and all gym classes sacked and gym closed ! and people who do similar jobs being moved to different offices. In southern Ireland all schools and most other government buildings close tomorrow for 2 weeks and St Paddy's day is now off ...

    Tried a hmp solo tempo tonight after work and a slightly disappointing average of 7:04 pace for 6.4 miles suggests a 90 min half might be a tad optimistic especially as I will be on nights Mon-Thurs next week before it so little time to get back on dayshift mode again! Race numbers already posted out to minimize contact etc ...
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Not looking good on Boston - perhaps I'll see you at Newport nicko but I think it's looking pretty slim at the moment as well.

    I guess we have to start thinking about the bigger picture and stop being so obsessed with the need to run a spring marathon.

    Will look out for you on Sunday nicko.  I'll be doing a 5 mile w/u and then 13 at MP aiming for c. 1:25.  What pen are you in - I'm pen C.

    That's still a good pace for a solo effort Leslie - I'm sure you can get under or close to the 90 minutes on the day.

    Good easy miles Gul.

    8 recovery miles with strides tonight followed by some strength and conditioning work.  The heart rate was about 10 beats higher than it should have been - hopefully the residual effect of the last two days training rather than an illness. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    No plan B here either, I'll just bounce onto the next as DT said. In fact I've decided to back off the training a bit, so 50 this week instead of 60.
    Yes Gul it was the lunchtime 5k run but I bailed and took a rest day, or painting skirting boards instead. Run and swim today then a parkrun blast tomorrow.
    So sorry for the Boston crew but as said, bigger picture 😕
  • StevieWhStevieWh ✭✭✭
    There's no official statement from Boston yet is there? Looking like the next few months are going to be pretty dire though. Good luck on Sunday SBD & Nicko.

    Good tempo Leslie, you will definitely be closer on race day!

    Nice easy miles Gul, what's Sundays target?

    Session went well last night, 4 x 2m at HMP came out at 12.04, 12.07, 12.07, 12.11 had to work hard in the last rep as it started and finished into the wind but overall it felt nice and controlled. That's faster then Sundays race pace, becoming a training warrior :D 
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Nothing official yet, possible the decision has been made but they are awaiting confirmation of new date before final announcement; also possible that an incorrect report has been relayed multiple times. Either way it totally killed my motivation to go out in the wind and rain last night. Another poor week so far.

    Great 2 mile reps Stevie.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - good effort still. 
    SBD - all best for Sunday.
    Stevie - cracking pace. Plan is to aim for 6:30/m on Sunday, but not feeling confident.
    Nicko - hope it's good news in spite of how it appears.
    4 easy miles. Rest tomorrow.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

    You'll definitely be faster in a race , Leslie.

    Nice session, Stevie.

    Good luck sunday Gul, Nicko and SBD.

    I have nothing to report, save that my cold has now developed into a full head cold and my back is no better. At least I am killing two birds with one stone so to say. I have some more physio lined up on Sunday so hopefully that'll do a job. I'm pretty relaxed about it as with this mornings announcements re top class footy and the London St Paddys parade, there's a sense of inevitability that all the big races for April will go.

  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

    Ashby 20 have just cancelled for sunday.

  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Nicko-Boston postponed.
  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    Boston postponed till September. So it's Newport not Newton this April.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020
    2 half maras I had booked one cancelled one postponed this morn and waiting for the 3rd to fall now.
    They think it's all over and it probably is now lol 3 months of waiting for it to blow over by the looks of it. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

    Nicko, bad news, though I wouldn't get too into the idea of Newport if I were you.

    I have been told London are investigating alternative dates right now.

    I love how the Govt came out last night with a plan and everyone has decided it's rubbish and are doing their own thing.

  • nicko1981nicko1981 ✭✭✭
    DT19 said:

    Nicko, bad news, though I wouldn't get too into the idea of Newport if I were you.

    I have never been, or ever will be, too into the idea of Newport in general  :p 

    Rumours (the most prevelant force in the world right now) are that Bath may also cancel last minute due to issues with marshalls. I will run that whether it has marshalls or not.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

    pleased I got 3 good races in over the last 10 weeks.

    So.....road relays next saturday??? Don't see it happening myself.

  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Really sorry to see the Boston confirmation, Nicko
    I just wish London would hurry up and put us out of our misery.

    WFH today so managed a lunchtime run. Keeping with the instructions from the Fizz, I was able to go short but go a tad faster. So, I set the Garmin to do 6 x 0.5 mile intervals with 2 min jog recoveries. 

    Really enjoyed the session although it seemed to be into a stiff headwind for a lot of it. Majority of the splits were under 3.10 which I'll take having not completed a proper speed session for ages.

    Got 6 miles done and averaged 6.52 for the trip.
    I just need to wait and find out if this will be a marathon of half marathon campaign...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2020

    I have heard that London has decided to postpone and an announcement is imminent.

    Im hearing 4th oct.

  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I have a theory they may close my local pool soon for public safety so I swam 4k this morning just in case. Is this sporting equivalent of panic buying? 
    With all races out of the window I'm feeling it's best just to do whatever feels right and run for the joy of it.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Reliable source, DT19?

    I'm amazed Bath is going ahead. I fail to see how the start pens, portaloos and water stations aren't significant contamination and infection risks,  but I guess I have to trust the experts who think not.

    Unlikely to go ahead with a planned trip to France with OH next week, primarily because of the risk we'll get stuck in quarantine. Not the best for a lawyer and a doctor!
Sign In or Register to comment.