Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - never heard of a Theragun before - looks like torture! But if it works...
    Easy 5 miles this morning and no niggles :)

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    My hip has flared up again so resting here.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - sorry to hear that. Hope it's just a blip. I haven't tried the peanut butter in my porridge yet, but I did have some leftover condensed milk on toast today (Mrs GD bought a tin to make me a chocolate banoffee pie for my birthday); should have put it in my porridge! Mrs GD had the rest on Weetabix :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sorry, reading along but not posting much. ive a theragun (well a much cheaper model i bought off amazon 3 weeks ago). Pretty decent bit of home kit for £62. 

Hope the hip settles, oo. 

I went for a run sunday, 4 x 5 mins easy off 1 min. Felt much better than my last run 4 weeks earlier. Went again yesterday for 4 x 6 mins. Felt ok doing it but back stiffened right up yesterday pm and feels like it's had a battering today. 

Feels like 4 weeks of grafting on all these rebalancing exercises etc was all in vain. I just need to accept that until i can get to see someone to get a proper diagnosis and treatment i just need to sit quietly on the bench. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hope the hip improves, OO & sorry to hear the back has worsened, DT19.

A very sluggish 11 miles for me this morning. Lockdown seems to be making me more tired than ever! 
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    MSE theragun looks expensive for a real one(£400 ! on ebay) and as for less blondes , our local hairdresser now delivers home hair dye kits so no worries there ( bit late for me though no hair left here lol )
    0054 easy does it sure you will bounce back soon.
    Dt can you just run easy without too much pain rather than rest ? forget sessions for now as you will just set yourself back further .
    Jools nice 11 keeping active passes the time, hopefully Boris has some good news for us on Sunday as we are all bored of lockdown now and I'm still going to work  !

I too got a bit over 11m today ,it's the furthest I've gone in some time and was a bit of a struggle towards the end but such a lovely warm day to be out in the sun . Dunno how some crazy folks can knock out mara's as my legs seem to have forgotten how to run long but sure it will come back ...

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Leslie, sadly these are 5 minute intervals at easy so just under 9mm. It's not that I've lost that much fitness but my lower back cant cope. The 4 x 6 mins was a step too far i think. im going to pulling it back to 3 minutes running but more volume. 

The theragun was the original iteration so has a market lead but ive had one used on me as well as my £60 model. Build quality might be better but in terms of job, mine at £60 does an identical job. it's definitely a worthwhile bit of home kit at that cost in my view. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Glad you are back DT and wise to go steady there. I'm still resting the hip which is bad again.

I'm sure you'll get used the big miles Leslie, just takes some practice 😉
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - sorry to hear that; unfortunately sounds like you may have be patient for now.
    Jools - yes, I blame all the video conferencing.
    Leslie - yes, you'll be pounding out those longer runs before you know it.
    OO - take care of that hip. Hope the rest sorts it out.
    6 easy miles and a bit of shopping this morning. I should have gone for the 2.6 toenail challenge (lost another one yesteryday). Keep running until you've 2.6 left :)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Thanks, DT, that's another £60 you've just cost me! I've had a look at that gun on Amazon and it does indeed look like a decent bit of kit. It will help all of my niggles as well as the wife's dodgy back issues.

Hope the hip recovers soon, OO. Good idea to rest, you know the drill.

Decent 11 miler there Leslie. The better weather is such a motivator and working from home right now makes it a lot easier to get out and enjoy it.

Rest day today as I had a speed session yesterday and the knee area still feels a bit weak.
    Managed a 6 miler which comprised intervals of 6 x 0.5 mile strides with 3 min jog recs.
    previously (a couple of months ago) that session broke the knee, so I was pleased to get through it and scored some good interval paces despite no sprinting. Final half mile rep came out at 6.16 pace, which was a surprise as it felt much slower.

The Wednesday weigh-in went OK. Bang on 13st (82kg). This is my top-end acceptable weight these days, so now I'm off the biscuits and when I'm into campaign, I'll soon get down closer to 12st 7lbs, racing weight.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

It's a nice bit of kit and pretty light g-dawg. Sort of thing you can throw in a holdall and take with you if you have a race away etc.

Im coming in at 11,9 at minute so about 4lb over where I like to be generally but about 10lb over where I was in Feb. I know it'll come off easy when things change so im not stressing about it.

The nerve irritation I have been getting through glute and hamstring seems to have disappeared since Tuesdays run. My coach said that often doing some light running can push things on like that.

Going again tomorrow for easy paced intervals. I'm hoping sunday there will be an announcment that will allow physios and dentists etc to get working again.

I had to pop to work today to the local office. You can se that he 'people'have pretty much decided they've had enough of lockdown.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear hip still troubling you OO. Time is a great healer.  My Theragun does wonders but the reality is just resting and sleeping is as helpful too. If you are interested Leslie, I have seen the one I have (the G3) discounted here (it has an updated version called the Elite): https://www.physioparts.co.uk/theragun-g3-black?dfw_tracker=16973-FS20624GB&gclid=CjwKCAjw4871BRAjEiwAbxXi2-ONp_Q_B959VweIZJi_9Lpe-HmNjYHLT2HM6mS1NDm4W5WfhM30ixoCIncQAvD_BwE

Delighted to see DT has persuaded GD to join the Theragun Club™ - you won't regret buying it, GD, and may find you spend less on physio visits.  I hope your back issue resolves itself, DT.  

Doesn't Poacher generally like to see a photo of manky toes, Gul? 😂

Started the week with a couple of easy 8 miles runs with a few strides in yesterday's one. Both hilly trail ones to try and keep it gentle on my joints. Left ankle was aching a bit yesterday which scares the hell out of me, so am taking that as a sign to deload this week (as my weight-lifting son likes to call rest weeks 😊) and just let my aged body chill. As I get fitter, I guess my pace gets quicker and the impact forces greater so it is important to really prioritise the rest and rebuild bit of the process.

The chat re weight from the men is an interesting one. I could also do with shifting some lbs put on in lockdown but a key factor to training as a female is not to lie below your body's natural set point for long. I have seen so many female athletes try to get thinner than their bone structure naturally suggests they would be; they end up disrupting their hormonal balance, running poorly, and become more susceptible to injury and illness (physical and mental).  Sooooo, slightly plumper and slightly more rest when needed for me.

Probably just as well, as I have a broken washing machine and a ton of laundry to do for the family.  Technician can't come for TWO WEEKS 😱 so if you don't hear from me, you will know why.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    As a follow on from my previous post, for any lurking females interested, if you aren't already doing it, this app and website is an excellent resource to learn to work with your body's hormonal fluctuations and ensure you stay healthy.  https://www.fitrwoman.com
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Hope the ankle is ok and was genuinely just tired, MsE. I hope it's all hands to the deck on the laundry front - perhaps wash things travelling style in the shower with each person??!

I'll have a look at the app - could be useful as I have a horrible suspicion I am perimenopausal and the app could help me track things reliably.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - nice speed work. Hope your knee is okay after the rest.
    DT - hope the intervals go okay. Yes, maybe you will be able to get a face to face appointment soon.
    MsE - no photos from me you'll be pleased to hear. Wise to ease up a bit I think.
    Decided also to take a rest day yesterday, although then spent 9 hours clearing out the garage :(  easy run this morning - 8 miles.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    4 x 3 mins yesterday but run a bit faster so running bits were about 7.30mm. Felt ok and feel fine today. 4 x 4 mins tomorrow. 

Felt fitter yesterday than 2 previous runs so hoping even some very light running in short term will start bringing me on. 

10 years ago today i ran my first ever race. Didnt see the fun of running then but got persuaded by friends. Did one training run about 10 days before to recce the course and posted 42 minutes on the day. The first seed was sewn that day but it took me 2 more years to start running regularly ish. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - I'd be careful not to go much faster for the time being. That first race of yours was good going considering you'd only done 1 training run! You obviously have natural talent.
    7 easy miles this morning. Hope to start building up the mileage again this coming week.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm still resting so posting a 4 mile week. Good effort DT.
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    MSE thanks but I think if I was getting one the 60 quid job would be the one , 300 is 4 pair of Nikes ! and you know how we love the shoes . Aches and pains are part of the deal as we get older I'm afraid for a lot of us or maybe that's just me but I took 2 days of this week due to tiredness after dayshift and went a walk instead. Best to be cautious given your injury problems but I hope it just a little blip and you continue on the up !
     Just get a new one delivered can't be without the washer very long ...If its over 5 years its bin time anyway once it goes wrong ,best policy is buy a new cheap one every few years forget the extended warranty as you just pay out the cost of a new one in the long run and put the saving towards a new one, that's how I roll ( extra tenner for higher spin speed is ok though lol )
    Gul after all that did you throw anything out or just move it around a bit like I do lol !
    0054 hope you can make a start next week again.
    DT happy running anniversary ! 42 mins 10 K ? shows a bit of talent alright . Got me curious so dug out my old training log , I started on 13 th aug 2011 at 38 , 11 runs and less that a month later I was doing a half mara on 11th sept 2hrs 2 mins  ,not bad for a fat lad and on 25th oct a month later I did a very hilly 20 miler training run with no water just pushed myself till I could go no more , when i got in I couldn't eat as i felt so rough and hot /dehydrated and sat with back door open as I was on fire  and my wife thought I was going to die and wanted to call ambulance lol  I didn't do any more 20's for quite some time !!!!!!!  I know it's frustrating and you will just have to see how your back reacts to each run and maybe walk instead a lot of days to keep moving.

6 easy yesterday and a 3 mile tempo today , first two miles were mostly into a headwind which was holding me back and with it behind me on mile 3 I was flying , 7:00, 6:57 and 6:04 for the last mile.I knew the 3rd mile was going to be fast so pulled out all the stops to max it out. That 6 min mile is looking possible again and it's been a long time coming ..
    34 mile for a better week .

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    A good 6 min mile at the end of the tempo Leslie.  That was an ambitious 20 miler in 2011!

My running comeback started in 2009, when I managed 50:27 in the local 10K.  In my defense, it was very hot and I must have been 105Kg. 

Hope you can get back to some running next week OO.  

Good easy miles and an impressive spot of garage clearing Gul

You're showing remarkable restraint on the injury management DT - hopefully you'll get to see the physio soon.

Hope the ankle is OK MsE. Bad timing on the washing machine malfunction although my sons seem to have given up on changing clothes during the lockdown.

A good turn of speed on the intervals G-D.  Plenty of time for the weight management.

16 miles for me late afternoon in very windy conditions.  Once I got out there it was not as bad as I had feared and the cooler conditions were a welcome change.  70 miles for the week but no real progress on the niggles and I think I'm getting slower and less fit!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SBD, fortunately circumstances provide me with a degree of patience i didnt otherwise have. Sadly tonight's Government announcement only lead me to believe i have more reason to be patient. That was a big nail in coffin of Autumn racing. The pm didnt get beyond kids maybe going back to school, let alone mass events. 

I'd say same to you, now is a good time to try and deal with those niggles if you can. 

Leslie, nice little tempo. my first half was in 2012, did 90.12 having run over 10m once in training. It was that half that probably turned my corner. Month later 1.29 and 1.27 by September.  

A 20 is a big step up mind, no wonder you felt crap.

4 x 3 min and 1 x 4 off 1 min today. Jusst adding minutes in at a time. Felt ok. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good it felt OK, DT. Small bits of progress will do just fine.
    The massage gun arrived. Good bit of kit, very pleased with it.

I also got a skipping rope. Thought it might be a good addition to cross-training.
    Took about 40 mins to get the hang of it in the garden on Saturday, having not used one before. I was sweating buckets, it was a good workout.
    What I didn't realise is that in my attempts to get the hang of it, I was really hammering my calves and Achilles.

I felt some weakness in my knee after the speed session last week and felt on a a 4 mile recovery on Friday, so I rested Saturday (apart from the skipping), plus it was very warm so I thought going longer on Sunday would be more pleasant.

Hit the trails yesterday, it was still quite warm but I was only going slow on the trails. Could really feel the skipping session (as I can now) but it was a nice 13 and a bit miles with no knee issue. 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - great turn of speed in your tempo run. A lot of stuff in the garage is now organised ready to go to a charity shop or recycling when possible, (plus several items worth trying to sell) and I've transferred bits to keep elsewhere (shed, store cupboards). The reason being that we're hoping to have the garage knocked down and an extension built. Must be bonkers.
    SBD - windy here today, too. Are you tempted to ease up a bit to see if a bit of recovery gives you a boost?
    DT - that's an impressive HM debut too. Hopefully we'll get some more detail on the updated lockdown rules today, but I agree it seems to confirm that large races won't be happening this year. Might be possible for some local small-scale races with staggered starts, perhaps? On a positive note, I think I may have been spared the monotony of being confined to the garden for my 12 hour endurance run.
    GD - hope the skipping hasn't done any damage. Pleased to hear your knee is holding up.
    10 easy miles this morning.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    10 mostly steady miles this morning.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice pair of 10s, Gul.

I got out before work, hit the trails for a 7.5 at easy pace. Calf muscles were super stiff due to the silly weekend skipping rope malarky. Feel better now, though.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

They are a decent bit of kit for the money, g-dawg, that's for sure. Nice 10, not sure i'd ever get to grips with skipping.

Is the solo 12 hr endurance run still on, Gul?

Out again today, 3 x 4m ins and 1 x 5 mins off 1 minutes. Just nudging the continuous period up a bit. Glute still tightening in the latter stages but eases as soon as I stop so hopefully just needs to strengthen up. Pace v HR improving a little each run.

Sadly no announcement from the govt that will allow me to seek hands on physio still.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    When I've had glute trouble, I've always used a tennis ball and a wall to get a deep massage on the pain point. I've had it so often that I keep a ball in my work rucksack. Worth a go if you haven't already, DT.

Furlough scheme extended to October. Is that an indication of anticipated crisis length? Autumn races look doomed if so...
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    SBD you have come a long way fair play 105kg was a big starting point for a runner. 
    Dt 90 mins was always the goal, a benchmark we could be rightly proud of. Think my second was 1.50 some 6 months after then 1.37,1.32, 129,1.28 after that improvements in fitness were cancelled out by a increasingly bad knee after an op and 18 months I came back with 1.25, 1.26 and 1.23 all in 6 weeks then another bad injury lol
    Gdawg skipping sounds very risky with a bad knee glad you have survived with just some muscle soreness. 
    As for the furlough I heard employers will have to pay an increasingly large  % as time goes on that's when it will get real. We had our local NI plan set out today but with no dates except an end date around December, so it's not looking good at all for racing or indeed much else we used to take for granted... The new normal as they call it roll on 2021 I am done with 2020!!!! 
    Gul be nice to get more space although I'd like a bigger garage as mine is tiny. 

6 easy up after first of 4 nights. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - are you planning to do any more skipping?!
    DT - steady progress. Yes, I've pencilled in the last weekend in May.
    Leslie - if you get a bigger garage you'll just accumulate more junk to fill it with.
    10 easy today.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I planning to try my first run today in over a week. The hip is not 100% but let's see how it goes. My running career started in the 80s and I did my first proper race (the Great North Run) in 1987 with a 1:43 starting from the middle of the pack. Over 30 years of running probably explains my dodgy hips.