Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Brilliant madness, Gul - well done :)  
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's mad and fantastic all in one, Gul
    There's no way I would do that without a medal at the end.

One reason I wanted to experience the ultra last year was to experience the physical pain/fatigue as the miles passed and then see how mind strong I was to keep going.

Your mind is amazingly strong just to get up at 01.30 in the first place!!! Well done, Sir.

Short recovery yesterday to bring 37 up for the week, biggest week since middle of Feb.
    Rest day today and then hopefully some early morning runs to beat the heat midweek (nothing as early as Gul o'clock, mind).

• Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Gdawg decent enough comeback week there 
    Birch how you coping with the lockdown ?

12.5m long run ground out today ( just a little well earned snigger from Gul allowed ) we are not all machines either that or some of us only have pound shop batteries fitted not Duracells lol !
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭
    Gul - tks - struggling, to be honest (not with lockdown as such , though that probably hasn't helped, Leslie)  - had this knee issue since Feb, which is curtailing things, but besides that, my legs just feel stiff and heavy all the time, and running is so laboured, its very demoralising. I've only done 271 miles this year - just 35 in the last 5 weeks . . . .  
    I met my daughter on Friday, for a (2 metre distance) walk of 90 mins; after parting, I did a 3 mile run, and getting out of the car back home, my legs thought they'd run a hard half  . . .   of course, I'll be 66 in 3 months time, with 34 years of running, so I maybe should just accept that this is where I'm at now . . .    but a small straw to cling to, is that at the end of January, I did a 15miler  along towpath/trail with chums, and diary states "legs sprightly", so perhaps all not yet lost. I'm doing leg strength exercises now, as advised by physio, so hope these will, eventually, aid matters. Also invested in a massage gadget (as per DT).   oh, I've also acquired a splendid little belly :)  

Cheers, folks 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Birch. Anyone who has been on this thread for a while will know we all suffer injuries, often bad ones that take us out for weeks of months. Then we have other periods of magnificent form and race results. It's often after these great periods when we are at most risk of injury. Then there is the comeback trail, which I'm certainly on at the moment, trying to get back to some decent form. This cycle of ups and downs spplies to all of us, there is no certain escape.
    Gul is the man of the moment, at the top of the mountain, and inspiring us all to up our game. You just have to enjoy those moments and remember they won't last forever, they never do.

An easy 6 miler for me yesterday. I'm off to the Lakes today so hopefully some hills and scenic runs to come this week.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    SBD - another 70 mile week! You are churning out some serious consistent mileage.
    OO - good to see you slowly building up. Enjoy the Lakes!
    Jools - nice variety in your training.
    GD - nice going.
    Leslie - you definitely seem to making progress.
    Birch - sorry to hear that. Hope the massage and exercises help and you can still get some enjoyment out of running.
    Looked back and spotted that I did 103 miles last week. Had a couple of rest days and feel more normal again. I also looked a bit further back and confirmed that I did my 42 miler in June 2018 at an avg pace of 8:11/m! 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    im testament to what oo says there. January and February i was gobbling up big sessions, smashed my 10k pb (unofficially running sub 30 5m in process), smashed my half pb, running 5m and 10m pbs in process, lowest adult weight etc. Then boom, 7.5 weeks out and now cautiously building back up with lessons learnt.

That January run definitely says you have much more good running in you, Birch.

Gul, do take a rest now though! Getting up at 1.30am to run 48 miles doesn't compute for me. Did you actually sleep at all?

Now ive set my turbo up I'm increasing training and have some momentum. Strength and conditioning class sunday followed by a decent 50 minute turbo interval sesion. Yesterday was bums and tums over lunch then 5 x 5 minutes run off 1 min so 25 mins running. tlThe running was 3.15m at 8.06mm. I appreciate i had a minute off every 5, but for the first time that pace felt genuinely easy. I think the bike sessions could really bring me on faster as i can work pretty hard on those for a good 45 minutes so back to the turbo today for a nasty looking session.

Lewis says generally 2 weeks training for each weeks injury to get back to where you were assuming a steady path. So thats 15 weeks for me and this is week 2. On paper that has me good and ready for London if it were to happen.

I took a covid test last friday as part of some research study. Results yesterday said I'm currently negative. Shane they didnt include an antibody test as well. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Totally with you on that, OO. I remember my London campaign last year and thinking at the time that my legs feel invincible. As you say, that's a danger sign in itself. I then made loads of post-race recovery mistakes and ruined it all. Still, lessons learned and I'm better for it.

Interesting info on the 2 weeks rebuild for each week of injury, DT. I like that.
    Glad the Covid test was negative but I too want an antibody test. Doc says he's 99% sure I had it in March. I'll be gutted if a test shows I had something else. 11 days of ups and downs and no taste and smell for another 2 to 3 weeks.

Mission this week is to beat the heat. Out before work this morning and got 7.5 trail miles done. Generally feeling stronger as the improvement line is still heading north.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

gdawg, yes it's that period of invincability where risk is highest.

I suppose when you look at my build up you can see why. It will have taken 2 weeks by Thursday for me to have built up to 4 x 1m. He says once you can run for 30 minutes things develop quickly, but i'll have spent 3-4 weeks getting to 30 minutes.

Re the newer covid test, you can buy it for £85, however the Govt have partnered with Amazon and boots to create a mass affordable role out of the test over the coming months and it's rumoured it'll cost as little as £6.

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Great to see Birch on here. Sorry to hear you are in a lull but, as the others say, it happens to us all regardless of age and the fact you had a bouncy MLR earlier in the year does suggest all is not lost. Anyway, anyone feeling sorry for themselves with a few weeks or months of lost form or injury just needs to have a word with me to be set straight. It IS possible but definitely needs a new way of coming back to it.

The spinning is a great idea, DT. 👍 When I couldn't run or was building back fitness and starting running again I did sessions on a turbo trainer or in the pool.  The beauty of that is every single session can be a lung burner without battering the joints. I definitely did not have a linear comeback and it was a very squiggly slow progression over two years. But (much as we learn to expect a dark moment in a marathon so we can embrace the pain when it comes) I expected mini setbacks and treated them as feedback for me to understand where I had weaknesses that needed addressing. I can honestly say this was the best thing I could have done, because I have such a deep understanding of my biomechanics and hot spots that I can generally identify early on if there is a potential issue now.  Being in lockdown I have been extra cautious to ensure I can deal with anything myself and it has been really encouraging to know I can look after my body without having to rely on the physio. That was the biggest hurdle to overcome - trusting in my body and my instincts. It has taken 2 years since my operation to get to that stage but I feel stronger than ever now so it has been worth it.

Glad you are sounding back on track OO. Watch out for all the 'Keep Out Covid' signs that I am hearing about in the Lakes to deter visitors.

Gul - that was a really great report. Sounds super chilled and relaxed which is exactly what seems to suit you. I think ultra running is the way to go for you and can see you and Lorenzo taking a few podium places together! 103 miles last week is on another level.

Leslie - your description of your tempo made me chuckle. I had a moment last week like that when I was trying to keep a lid on my slow longish run and a girl went by in the opposite direction about half a mile before my turnaround point. I had her in sight soon after I had turned back and made a conscious decision to not chase. She looked fit and like she was giving it a good effort, constantly looking at her watch. I tracked her for a while sure she was doing around 8 min/mi or thereabouts. I soon caught her though and never saw her again. Something about catching another runner seems to put a little turbo boost in you doesn't it?

GD - Snap - you had the same idea as me and the 🐾🐾 to get out nice and early on the trails this morning. Glad you are easing back into it. Unfortunately, it meant I missed the washing machine repair man whose arrival went unheard by all the other members of the household. 🙈

Anyway, 8 and a bit easy miles to start my week after a rest day yesterday. Wore my new Hoka Mach to start breaking them in to retire my Hoka Claytons. Nothing quite like new shoes to remind you of any deficiencies in your old pair. Keep well everyone.

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    DT - yes, I did get a bit of sleep, though not as much as I had hoped as it was Miss GD the younger's birthday on Saturday so couldn't get an early night. Good to know you are currently negative, but as you say, you really want to know whether or not you've had it and have the anti-bodies.
    GD - yes, it's certainly much warmer now. Hope you managed to get out early this morning.
    MsE - still not sure if my body is up to 100km ultras which is the next step and in turn that was preparation for an even longer solo run I had dreamed of doing one day. The first is possible but I think the second is very unlikely. Hope you enjoyed the new shoes. I dusted down some trail shoes on Sunday as I didn't think my 600+mile shoes were up to it and I have my suspicions that the new-ish Nike shoes I have are not best suited to my high arches, so didn't want to risk them on such a long run.
    Rest day number 3 and I'm starting to appreciate why some people are not enjoying the lockdown ;) I only took 1 rest day after the 42 miler, so some good restraint on my part :) Looking forward to getting out again, so will take an early morning walk tomorrow.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope you enjoyed the new trotters, MsE? I've got 2 new pairs to debut soon.

Rest is best after a hard effort, Gul. After a raced marathon it takes me 4 to 6 weeks to fully recover. I discovered this after doing a trail marathon 3 weeks after Chicago and a 33 mile ultra 2 weeks after London last year. Painful lessons learned.

I know others recover quicker but at 52, it seems my battered legs need a little more time.

Yep, got out before work again today to beat the heat again.
    Introduced hill reps for the first time in ages. Found a gentle incline on the trails and went up and down it at a pushing effort ten times.
    Two miles there and back took total morning miles to 6 and in glorious morning light.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Don't skrimp on the rest, Gul. Let your body repair stronger.

I'll get out in a bit for 5 x 6 mins easy off 1 min. Got my MRI next Wednesday. Did a pretty brutal turbo session last night. Agree with MsE it's a great way of having a right old smash without too much risk. I think I will be a lot smarter for this experience. Will definitely ensure I continue with the basic runner strength work ive been doing.

Did anyone get the invite for the release of the nike alphafly this morning? Seems a limited number did. Going for £259.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great to hear you in a good mood DT. Positives all the way at the moment. Hopefully more after the MRI next week.

I'm hoping Nike do another autumn sale where I can dive in for a pair of Vaporflys to race in and relegate my two pairs of Zoom Flyknits to tempos and speedwork.
    Oh, how decadent!  :D

I see that the Prudential Ride 100 got cancelled today. Dublin Marathon due on October 25th fell yesterday. 

Latest update on London today is that they'll do a further update on June 21st. I reckon that will be the absolute decision. Doesn't look good, though.

Received new bathroom scales yesterday. They seem quite good. Got a fancy App that tells me more than I need to know. Happy to report 13 measurements are all in the green zone. 

My old scales said I had 21% body fat. I knew that couldn't be right. This morning I had 15.1%
    That's more like it. Visceral fat was a new one for me, level 6 and in the Good zone.

6lbs over race weight right now and that's just fine and normal between campaign cycles.
    I can now tuck into cold beers on this warm night and not feel guilty.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    g dawg, yes for me that was a building up to no message from vmlm. 

The bodytrax does visceral. i was coming in 5/6. 

I doubt you'll see the 1st edition vaporfly back on sale now. Im now using my oldest vaporfly for easy runs. No point spending £80 on some asics gts when i have vaporflys queueing up. 

Tonight's run is going to be messy in the heat for longest run in 10 weeks. 
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Birch I hope you can get back into running again , I know its not easy with a bad knee ,makes everything so much harder and I always felt it has  held me back from where I thought I could get too ..but January wasn't that long ago for you so chin up if you turn enough corners you will be right back on track ! Dt should be on commission for the £60 gadgets doing a right old trade on 'ere lol . As for the belly fat well most of us can't shift it either ....
    MSE I do love a good burnup if it's on a speed day everybody is fair game and yes thats when I can put a mile pace in id never otherwise see but if its a easy run day I let them go and ponder to myself where they were the day before when I had my raceface on lol .........Enjoy the new shoes .
    DT see superdrug are going to see covid tests for 85 quid but people should be able to get tested for free now so don't know why anybody would pay that .Enjoy the long run .
    Gdawg nice new scales and showing some better numbers too .
    GUL only thing limiting you is your imagination, 100k now well within reach  id say wit some more ultra focused training .

Just walked yesterday as been struggling to get of nights since Friday with little success so hardly any sleep and very tired past few days. After finally getting a good nights kip managed 6m last night and another tempo upped it to 4 miles this time, tried to keep it more even paced so I could get a bit further this time,... 4 mile tempo ..6:45, 6:45, 6:37 and a hard earned 6:40 to finish on a lovely evening after work...muscle soreness and knee pain were fairly instant not long after so knew Id worked very hard ! I hope I can extend the tempos quite  a bit further even if it means having to slow down a bit as I think that's how to make some progress for me plus the only race likely to happen is a 3/4 mara in Sept  so need some more range .

Dublin mara cancelled in October now and a half I was doing end June cancelled today so not looking good this year .

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    I worry about your knee pain Leslie. Please don't overlook it will you?

DT - you sound like you are a fan of the Vaporfly? I bought a pair of 4 % discounted a couple of years ago (!) and have yet to try them. A mixture scepticism and fear is holding me back from trying them I think.  Hope your long run went smoothly.

GD - Loved the shoes thanks. You sound like you are enjoying the new scales. We've got a set that tells us visceral fat too and it is very useful as a metric to go by. I tend not to look at total bodyweight anymore as I want to keep the lean muscle mass as high as possible. I also have to watch bone density doesn't dip as a female masters runner (ie old bird).

Wondering if Gul has cracked and gone for a run...

Easy 8 today very early as I had to be back for my 8am webinar.  The only room which isn't taken by family members working is the gym so I did it while walking on the treadmill. Keep well everyone.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - nice hill work and fat loss :)
    DT - you seem to have everything under control. Hope the MRI pinpoints any issues so they can be ironed out once and for all.
    Leslie - another nice tempo session.
    MsE - good multi-tasking. 
    Well, I didn't crack. Will take a complete week's rest and then have an easy week to finish off May.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Leslie, I think one of my favourite runs and most beneficial is that slower but longer tempo, so 8-10m at between hmp and mp.

Doing well on the restraint, Gul,

Well done on the 8, MSE. Yes, I do like the vaporfly. Contrary to what people say they are much more resilient. My first pair I bought in July 17 A raced numerous times then B raced and parkrun. Since about March 2018 I have been using that same pair for all my tempo runs, including 20 milers with big sections at mp. I estimate that they have done over 1000m now and whilst falling apart a little on the seams, still do a great job. Hence why I have them lining up.

So Wednesdays 5 x 6 min in the heat was the fittest I've felt since injury and the least symptomatic on a run, despite it being my longest time running so far. Was very pleased. Took a rest yesterday. 15 minutes continuous today, then 4 x 1 mile on sunday. If they both go well I should be able to progress quite a bit faster in coming weeks.

I m lining up this guy to help me once the MRI is done and the consultant has administered what he thinks is needed (currently an epidural).

https://www.wpbphysio.co.uk/who-we-are/mark-buckingham/

I really recommend spending 2 minutes looking at his CV. He looks like the boss man of running physios! Lewis recommended him as having worked with him he said the guy is hands down the best about.

I had a refund this week for my Berlin hotel, which i'd already cleared off my cr card. So, I decided to treat myself to an airofit-

https://www.airofit.com/?gclid=CjwKCAjw8J32BRBCEiwApQEKgY_EXVxLffpiWI38fSUzshR5cmZtZzreiKYT3kePri8du7NHi4ZLPhoCRDMQAvD_BwE

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

gdawg, had an e-mail earlier from Thriva advising they are now selling the antibody test for £59. Seems a bit more acceptable than £85. Just in case you did want to check.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    That physio Lewis recommended looks really good, DT. Hope he gets you back on top form. 

Back from a humid not quite 8 miles. Started the run feeling sluggish and after a few miles on the loop back, I let my legs flow and had a nice 6:49min/mi. Put the brakes back on as I have a long run to enjoy tomorrow and am hoping for 11-12miles. Amusing to think I could put together 26 of 6:4X in one go. Starting to think it is not so far off anymore. Ankles feeling strong. 🥳🥳 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    Good going  MsE great to see you back and in the vacinity of the good old days.
    Easy plodding here. Hoping for 40 this week including two decent hill climbs in the Lakes- I'd forgotten how fun and challenging those hill runs can be, my quads are very stiff.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Good work in the Lakes OO - those hill runs almost sound like fun.

A good turn of speed MsE and good to hear the ankles are feeling strong.

You're making good progress DT and looks like a good choice of physio.  Not sure about the airofit - is that a Lewis recommendation?

Sensible decision not to run this week Gul.  

A good tempo session Leslie.  Bad news that Dublin has cancelled but it is likely to be the first of many.

15% body fat sounds quite lean G-D - I'm sure I'm closer to 20% at the moment!

A bit windy today but at least the temperature was a bit more bearable.  A steady 7.5 miles early evening at 7:58 pace.  Nothing very fast for me at the moment but sticking with the 70 miles per week schedule. 

The 18 week schedule for Berlin starts on Monday but I don't think I'll be doing anything different for now! 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    SBD, Are you registered for london? The airofit is my own work. i had spare cash and they battered my fb feed so i gave in. 

I'd  say that's ok re bodyfat. When i was bottom end weight late feb using bodytrax i was about 13%. Have you switched your scales to athlete mode?

Turbo session tonight. Got 4 x 1m tomorrow off 1 min. My biggest run so far. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited May 2020
    The power of advertising DT 😉
    SBD with the 2 weeks isolation after foreign travel I can't see how Berlin is realistic, even if the race goes ahead.
    I'm tempted to run up Skiddaw today but conditions are damp and misty so might turn back en route.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'll  be buying one of those swirly things next that are apparently a miracle ear wax remover! 

19 weeks to London today. That still seems an  awful long way off and the optimist in me thinks a lot could and will change by then but the realist disagrees. 

Berlin will probably reschedule to next Spring as opposed later in Autumn. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Most of my ads for old people insurance or date sites for finding a new partner- so think yourself lucky DT 😇
    I abandoned Skiddaw half way up in the  wind and rain but still managed 10 miles and 1800ft of elevation. Hill climbing seems not to put much strain on the pelvis, really enjoying it.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    I'm still holding out for Berlin going ahead in some form, even on the original date, but I'm probably clutching at straws!   

I have the place at London (and also Newport) as well but Berlin would be the priority if anything goes ahead in the Autumn.

Ironically, a socially distanced Abingdon is easier to imagine than the equivalent for London, although they've already cancelled!

Without any firmer prospect of a race taking place it's difficult to find the motivation to start ramping up the training.  I may just tick over until July and hope we have some clarity by then.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's where I'm at too SBD. Just let go of chasing miles and try to focus on running for pleasure and avoiding injury.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Ticking over at 70 mpw sounds a lovely prospect really SBD. Delighted to hear running up hills is working for you OO. You'll be getting fitter and fitter so when you are next racing on the flat you will fly even faster probably.

As for targeted ads, I too have been getting the airofit one DT. Also receiving ads for dating for singles (😳?! Am happily married to MrE) and a brand called Fairfax & Favor that sell really lovely country boots with a certain sort also seem to wear with their tweed jackets which I like to wear walking the dogs.

Finished the week on 11.5 miles for another 50 mile week. Teddy the Wonderdog came too but he definitely felt the heat despite it being a lot cooler and was dragging a bit on the way home.  Tosca was definitely a better running dog but I won't tell Teddy that.