Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO, I remember as  a kid watching Jossies giants and they were in the mini bus to an away game and they were singing a song about going to see the Blayden races. I'd always assumed it was some locally famous horse racing course, but sounds like they could have been singing about the run?

Everyone seems to be ticking along fine, though Leslie you should take it easy with that IT band/hammy.

I am having a bit more non run time (can't remember if I said this already) following trying shorter faster running last week and getting some soreness from sacrum area. Agreed with Lewis to just take 10 days out. I really need to get to the point where I can hop on my left leg and it not cause some discomfort. I seem to have made some good progress in the last week or so in that respect and the loading of the left leg is definitely getting to the point where there is very little to feel.

I have been doing some pretty high end turbo sessions, though having a rest today.

If you are on the sub 3 FB page, worth having a look at the thread that's going mad today. Some lad posted on LinkedIn as part of a sales thing for his business to demonstrate how determined and tenacious he was that having never trained he would just go out and run a mara, but not any mara, a sub 3. Anyway, he went through half way at 1.31 and like any normal untrained person not only upped it enough to sub 3, he dropped right down to mid 5.30s and posting a 1.15 second half. Apparently he is just very fit, but mainly very determined! He us getting slaughtered on the linkedin post understandably. Anyway someone on the   sub 3 thread saw it and posted it for analysis! The best part is that he then posted his mile splits which include a 4.55mm at about 11, and at around 7 there was a 10mm so it must have been a very undulating course as well!

• Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - great photo. 
    DT - sounds like you're nearly there with the hop test. Will have to read the sub 3 thread.
    Resting still here too.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    DT I think the road race stole the song and as you say it originally relates to a horse race. An old geordie like Poacher will probably know first hand 🤭
    After resting Monday I had a rare double day yesterday. The evening sesh was speed reps on grass which went well.
    Saw that post DT, what an idiot, not sure his business will go well.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - nice way to notch up a double.
    Hamstring felt fine until I started running this morning. Definite improvement but still not right so stopped straight away for another zero.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Oh dear Gul. Glad you are being sensible though.
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your hammie Gul.  Rest rest rest.  THEN wait a further three days after it seems fine walking around (as my coach tells me whenever I have a niggle).

OO glad you are underway once more. I need you to inspire me! Photos of you and Jr OO are a good start.

DT - the hopping test is the best indicator really of whether you are ready to run and have your total body weight crashing down (therefore making it 3-7 x your BW on each side).  I aim for ten hops on the affected side plus 50 single leg heel raises to test calf strength and check on foot stability (am I teetering on the toes?)

Your run in the Surrey Hills followed by crumpets sounds lovely GD. I take in the Chantry Woods and St Martha's every day to get some hill work in.

Leslie - am taking your advice and have reduced mileage this week. Just a couple of miles less each outing. I hope your leg is sorted now - you seem to have a good sense of how it can be impacted. 

Managed some strides at the end of my 6 miles yesterday and amazing how refreshed I felt afterwards. Was tired again on my early morning 6 mile outing today but probably because I was up before 6am (how do you do it Gul?!) and still half asleep.  I love being out with my 🐾🐾 though.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Take it easy, Gul, you've really tested your body of late with the sole mara and ultra so some r and r will do you good.

OO, he then suddenly appeared on strava with a 10.6m run in 59 minutes, quite remarkably posting 2 of the fastest miles in the 2019 RB mile rankings, at miles 2 and 3 and with mile 4 possibly just sneaking a sub 14 5k. Pretty decent for no training, on the pavements on an undulating route.

MsE, Yes I sort of discovered it by accident in that as part of a strength session I was doing I was required to hop on each side. Googled hopping and stress fracture afterwards and discovered it was a well accepted test of recovery.

I don't know how any of you guys get out of bed early and run, not least because I find lower legs and ankles all pretty stiff first thing.

Decent turbo session last night, just working in 15 minute blocks sub threshold. Some shorter higher intensity stuff today following  spin class on-line.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking picture, OO.

I like St Martha's, MsE. A friend has recently taken some excellent pictures of the poppy fields when running at the Chantries, I plan to go there soon.
    I like the hopping test tip, I'll remember that.

Rest up, Gul. None of us will be racing any time soon, so make good use of the spare time.

Talking of rest, I had 3 days off due to feeling a bit rough on Monday night. Felt better as Tuesday went on but decided to rest anyway.

Felt fine today and hit the trails at lunchtime. just ran with how the legs felt. It was a 6 miler and somehow on mile 2 a 6.34 split happened. Later, I held back and attacked 3 local Strava segments for a bit of fun and got a PR in all of them.
    7.21 average for the trip.

Good signs and shows what a rest can do.
    Will see how the body reacts but will probably just do an easy 10 miler on the trails this weekend, after all, London campaign starts on Monday!  :D
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    MsE - Glad you're enjoying the early morning running - I'm just half-asleep in the evening, instead :) The hamstring niggle is only noticeable when I run (and barely even then now) but will probably take the rest of the week off.
    DT - nice cross-training.
    GD - rest did you good then. London campaign on Monday, yes, LOL!
    I did test the hamstring this morning, but stopped straight away again.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Didn't bother to test the leg today. Out working in the garden and my other leg is now really painful. Not doing too well lately! Have a good weekend everyone.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Oh dear, dangerous business this gardening- nothing serious hopefully Gul.
  • Options
    Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    DT similar here plenty of squeaks in the morn too ,yer man sounds like one of those legendary posters only comes along every few years or the next Mo farah lol 
    0054 nice to get a double in now and again.
    MSE 6am is early n my book that's when I get up for work but on days off 9:30 is more like it ! Change is as good as a rest as they say with some easy runs.
    Gdawg nice bit of strava hunting.
    GUL gardening can be tough hope the leg settles again soon and is just a strain.

With nightshifts this week decided to bin any tempo and just ran easy every other day to rest up for a long run today 17 miles covered in about 2:40 so 9:30s but most of the ones after 10m were nearer 10's. 7 mile of very tough hills in the middle and bumped into a clubmate when i was out so stopped 5 mins for a chat. Got quite tough the last few miles and a bit of rain was welcome but felt quite whacked the rest of today ...

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I run with a friend who works shifts Leslie and he struggles when he's on nights- messes wiyh his running and energy levels.
    Paced my middle daughter to a 23.5 min. 5k today and felt fresh. 15+ tomorrow should bring me to 50 for the first time in 6 weeks.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Leslie - a tough 17 miler - well done.
    OO - nice pacing and well done to OO jnr. Will be a good tally for the week with today's long run.
    After a hour or two the pain in my left leg (upper inner thigh area) went away, thank goodness. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That's a relief Gul. You've encouraged me to stear well clear of the garden 😉
    17 today brings up 50 for the week. I've promised myself I wont go any higher until racing starts again. More importantly I've promised Mrs OO, and she'll probably hold me to it.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    That's a good long run and weekly total OO.

Dangerous stuff this gardening business - hope the damage is temporary Gul.

Good work on the 17 miler Leslie - is that the longest for a while?

A nice turn of speed on the trail run G-D.

Hope the rest and S&C work fixes the problem DT and you can get back running.

Strides are always good MsE - I've been avoiding to give the hamstring time to settle but may need to get back on to them soon.

So London in 16 weeks time!  It would be nice to get some certainty either way but I'm still working on the basis that either London or Berlin will take place in a reduced numbers format.

Feel the need to push the mileage up a little over the next few weeks, just in case.  So steady runs of 7.5, 10, 13.7, 7.5, 11, 7.5 Monday to Saturday.  Today's run was a slightly progressive 18 miles at an average 7:48 pace.  The last few miles are on a moderate incline and I had to work hard to maintain the pace.  Only just avoided being sick when I stopped!  It was quite warm when I set off at 5pm so I was probably a little dehydrated by the end.  Gives me 75 miles for the week.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - 50 sounds like a good round number.
    SBD - so after months of ticking over at 70 mpw, you're now building up the miles :) awesome stuff.
    First run in a week today. Just 2 very slow miles. The hamstring was starting to ache a bit by the end, so will be careful not to do too much for the moment.
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Whereas I'm assuming London won't happen: social distancing and races just don't go together as far as I can tell! Hoping Valencia might make it.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Impressive SBD. I'm also assuming no London and dont plan to up the mileage.
    Well done Gul, it's a start 👍
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Great North run cancelled this morning. i can't see how London can stand up next Monday and see affirmatively that it can happen. They either have to ride out another 6 weeks or pull it. 

Take it easy, Gul. Nothing to prove. 

Ive continued to beast myself in turbo sessions with some general aerobic stuff. Should be back to tunning next week. Suddenly not getting any pain when fully load my left side. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Every race cancellation feels like another nail in the coffin for London in October.

Regardless, I started my London campaign today. Just 6 very warm lunchtime miles to kick-off my week long campaign before the whole thing gets binned next week.

Just 11 on the trails on Saturday to have an easy week in prep for today's VLM kick-off.

If London does go, I think I'll give myself one month training blocks with a TT at the end of each to at least give me some motivation and targets to hit.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    That sounds very promising DT. Rest day here. Mrs OO is back to work today so I'm OO no mates.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    I'm assuming nothing. Not that it makes much difference here at the moment :) 3 slow miles this morning.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    A bit more positivity on London please!  That said, I do have an entry on the reserve list for Valencia!

Hope the hamstring is behaving Gul.

It's a good time to be retired OO.

So if London goes ahead G-D, what's the target?

Sounds promising DT.

A steady 11 miles for me tonight.  Conditions not too bad when I set off at 6:30pm.
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - good steady run.
    After 1 mile this morning, the pain in the hamstring returned, so looks like more rest for me. Oh well, plenty to do in the garden...
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Take care of the mammy, Gul. You deserve a rest after recent exploits, so use the time well to rest and recover.

Got out yesterday morning for a regular 8 miler on the trails, a warm session.
    Managed to drag myself out of bed again today to get 7.6 miles on the trails in with 14 hill reps in the middle. Quite enjoy these sessions.

Difficult to concentrate at times with the latest update due from London this Sunday. Will just have to refocus.

On the plus side, the Wednesday weigh-in went well, nicely under 13 stones now (81kg).
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    A good couple of sessions on the trails G-D and nice work on the weight.

Sensible decision to cut the run short Gul.  Hopefully a few more days rest will see you right.

Decided to introduce the mid-week 15 miler to the schedule today.  This is always the session I dread in the initial build up of a marathon schedule so mentally I was just aiming to cover the distance.  On these runs, I usually don't take a time check until the 5K point and was expecting c. 25:10 but was pleasantly surprised  when the time came up as 24:20.  Even better, the legs were feeling light and full of energy.   Just kept it steady, increasing the pace progressively to give 15 miles at 7:41 pace.  An enjoyable run for a change!
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - tough but enjoyable session there. I hope that was a typo and you meant hammy!!
    SBD - excellent start for your midweek MLRs.
    Rest here and it's chucking down with rain, so no gardening either. Had to resort to some admin :(

• Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I think the reality is there will be no races for the rest of the year. Mass participation events are proven to be a breeding ground for clusters of Covid despite what the gov said early on when allowing the Cheltenham Festival to go ahead. I was chatting with a friend who was there and everyone in her group (apart from her by some small miracle) ended up catching it. 🙈

Looks like most are running nicely but do hope Gul is back at it soon. DT - very exciting to hear you can now fully load on the injured side.  

Been stupidly busy with an assignment (mine), online exams (MsEttes 1 & 2) and return to school (MsEtte 3). MsEsq has online exams next week as a nod to the end of year 12 and has been focusing on that all important personal statement for UCAS forms.  It seems so much more high brow and serious than I recall! MrE has been throwing himself into gardening in between work calls and has created the most amazing display around us since lockdown. Ticking over with the miles and a few sessions now. Only tempo efforts and progressions but nice to push harder and do feel a bit fitter and able to do these justice now. Today was just a wet hour on the trails with the mutts.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Ooops! Yes, Gul, that should have been hammy!!  :D

I enjoy running in the rain, MsE, hope the mutts do too.

A midweek 15 sounds big, SBD. I do a 12 when in the middle of a campaign but maybe a few of those 15s would help gain extra miles and strength.

Ended up doing a double yesterday. My eldest wanted me to show him a couple of trails I use, so we did a little 4 mile recovery while eh learned the new route and tested his adductor injury.

Rest day today and possibly tomorrow as I'll do an LSR on Saturday and another recovery on Sunday to make 5 days and 6 runs for the week.