Sub 3h15

Comments

• Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OO-I'm fine with it,had plenty of good runs to not let 1 bad one worry me.
    TR-You must be a mind reader,I was genuinely thinking of having a crack tomorrow,so that is a timely reminder to ease off.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    An off day is all part of the mix Ian - believe in the training and focus on the taper.

That's a strong 8 in the wind OO.

Nice progression on the 14 miler Gul.  Shame about the loss of the early light.

Maybe you just need to do a reset G-D.  A good 10 miles non the less.

Not quite as windy here but still a fair breeze.  Tempo Tuesday, so 11 miles with the middle 8K as a lactate threshold effort which came out at an average 6:30 m/m pace.  Felt like hard work but the heart rate was a good 5 beats lower than were it should be.  Must try harder next week!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - how annoying. Still a good effort. Sunrise is about 5:15, so pretty dim at 4:30 especially if it's cloudy.
    Ian - don't beat yourself up. You are in great shape. Save it for race day now.
    TR - what sort of warm-up do you do for a mara out of interest?
    SBD - solid LT effort.
    11 miles this morning which turned out to be an accidental royal flush albeit a very relaxed one (9:19 to 7:31).
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice going there, Gul. Is a Royal Flush the same as a progressive? 

Out this morning with a now working Garmin for 8 miles on the trails. Nothing spectacular, just good miles in the bank and feeling stronger. My Wednesday weigh-in also reported a two pound loss from last week, now 179 (81kg), so all heading in the right direction.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-As usual that is a top effort,nice heart rate also.
    Gul-Nice progressive,was it meant or did it just happen?
    10.5 after work,took it nice and easy,my 10 mile is taking more from the waiting list so it looks like I finally have a real race to look forward to.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Ian - easy mind read for that run. Race day plan, nutrition plan and pace plan is what you need to focus on now.

Gul - never done a warm up, always figured 26m is long enough already, but i do think that 5 or 10 mins jog would be an idea before a less packed mara. Little point at a big race as you have to stand still for ages before the off.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I also find the idea of a mara warmup quite amusing. That said, I once saw the elite Africans doing a sprint warm up before the start of London Marathon.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    I've always gone with the P&D recommended warm-up, so two runs of about 5 mins each with some gentle stretching in between.  Worked well at Abingdon and Brighton when you can hit the start pen 5 minutes before the gun but I also found this useful at London.

Good news on the 10 mile race Ian.

Nice progression on the 11 miler Gul.

A steady 15 miles for me early evening.  Legs feeling a bit worse for wear after yesterday's tempo, but managed to average just below 8:00 m/m pace.

Assuming London cancels, my 'A' race was going to be the Cabbage Patch 10 miles on 18 October.  Sadly, that was cancelled today so perhaps London will come good after all!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - nice trail run and weight loss. Royal flush is when each split is faster than the previous one, which might not necessarily be the case in a progressive run.
    Ian - A race! Exciting. The progressive run wasn't planned.
    TR - perhaps that's what I'm doing wrong! I usually like to do a short warm-up even for a marathon, but I see your point if you're just then standing around for ages or it's a slow start anyway. 
    SBD - solid MLR. 
    6 mile recovery run this morning.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I’ve never warmed up for a Mara, I think 26.2 is far enough without tagging more on. Just ease into the race and let the first mile or so do that job. 

Couple of holiday runs done, up to 45 mins now. Home tomorrow so will probably leave more running to then. At the point now where the limitation is frustrating me. Whilst annoyingly not heard re mri I’m getting no feedback from sacrum so feel I’m good and just want to run more now, especially as it seems something might just happen with London. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Thanks, Gul. Seems I've been doing Royal Flush runs as that's how I run my progressives.

Great to see you hitting longer run times, DT. Just need that MRI result.

I saw the most bizarre marathon warm-up in Chicago. I was sitting on a bench getting ready when this bloke suddenly started to do some sort of dynamic/plyometric type warm-up routine. His jumps and twists were distorted and weird, I was convinced he would pull something and not be able to start.

Out again this morning for a 7 mile mixed bag of different paces. Really not feeling the love today, it was hard work at times. Average pace was 6.59 but it was harder than it should have been. They can't all be good.

Rest tomorrow, so 181 miles for July which included a cut-back week. Biggest month of the year so far. Hitting a vein of form, so will just tick over next week and see if London is going ahead before kicking on.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Brighton marathon cancelled, sort of.

They will be holding a running weekend on a revised route. They haven't stated what that is exactly i.e. what distance will be covered in the event. Yet, they expect those that are interested to keep training until the next update in mid-August.

I know it's difficult for the event organisers but to feed runners continued uncertainty seems unfair.

I will always run, it's a lifestyle thing as much as anything else, but I'm not always in campaign mode which takes more time and commitment. I hope the London update next week gives absolute certainty on the situation and no halfway house nonsense.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    G Dawg I know what you mean. I've convinced myself not to get in campaign mode this year and assume no serious racing will take place.
    c225 miles for July, my highest since injury in late March. I'm feeling in good shape having lost the lockdown timber.
    Good to hear you are feeling ok DT and itching to run more- easy there tiger 😉
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Sounds like yr fit fortake off now DT

Gul - ill try a 5min wu next mara.

I got the Brighton email. The bike ride is cancelled, the kids races, 10k and mara are "altered". Due to NHS pressure and lack of being able to distance the race and spectators as the race would usually run, they are rescheduling and events will go ahead still on the roads, but in a unique and covid safe way........so some sort of closed loop race. If its the correct distance snd some sort of wave start I'll take em up, if not ill defer.......i think itll be shorter races, possibly spread over many waves.

Moose on the inside running podcast who previously said he was training for a mara, but wasnt allowed to say which one, has said he is starting his vlm block, which kind of confirms an elite race. There could be various waves, dates and venues to be able to allow us all to take part.

The best chance of a race are the Goodwood motor cct type events, closed cct, no spectators, theres a multi distance event end of Sept and early Dec. You park round the outside of the cct and the different distances all start at different points round the track.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    SBD-Thats a similar warm up to what I do,mine is mainly because I need to loosen up the Achilles though.
    DT-Sounds like you are good to go again,annoying it's taken a week for the results though.
    Usual 8.8 miles after work today,started to really warm up towards the end,meant to be a scorched tomorrow,should just record my highest month for the 4th consecutive month.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    DT - hope you hear news of your MRI soon.
    GD - still good training. Great miles for July.
    OO - super miles for someone not in mara training.
    TR - even if VLM announce some sort of plan to go ahead, it could still all be scuppered at the last minute.
    Ian - good consistency will reap its rewards.
    18 miles this morning. 4 slow, 10 easy and 4 steady. First long run since middle of May, I think. Makes 274 for July.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good miles  Gul, is everything feeling fine now?
    I'm in the Lakes and a glorious weather day, so 4 easy ones with Mrs OO to close out July.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    OO - yes, all feels good, thanks. This can't compete with the beautiful Lakes, but this was taken just before 5am this morning looking out across the fields towards West Newton/Sandringham. I've spotted a barn owl in the near-by field a couple of times (but not today).

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    And a few hundred metres down the lane is the Babingley river.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Very nice views Gul.  You did well to get 18 in today before the heat arrived.

Enjoy the lakes OO - are you going to do the Bob Graham Round some day?

How many weeks left before the marathon Ian?

Interesting to see what Brighton come up with TR.  Loops of the Marina to Rottingdean section would be far from fun!  The only problem with the motor racing circuits is they can be exposed to the wind.

Given the expected temperatures later today, I had to get out early to avoid the heat.  It was still pretty hot and humid at 9am so the pace was a bit sluggish.  12.5 miles completed to give 350 miles for July.  That may well be a new monthly record, although perversely, I'm feeling far from fit!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Amazing total SBD. Maybe you're just exhausted😉 No BG for me. I have several friends who have managed it but I'm definitely not a fell runner.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    SBD - 350! Averaging over 11 per day...
    OO - I probably would be if I tried. A fell runner that is. I'll get my coat...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    333 here, no tapering or recovery has led to decent miles all year so far.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    SBD/TR-That is a massive amount of miles,well done to you both.
    10 miles today brings up 272 for a month so another record,previous to April my record high was 245,since then I've done 248,250,270,272 and broke my 4 monthly high by nearly 50%
    Reykjavik is 3 weeks tomorrow,nearly time to get my packing list together.
    Just had my first weigh in for 6 weeks,before Berlin I was just over 13st,the started this cycle and I dropped to 12'7 6 weeks ago,and tonight I'm down to 12'1,that is 25% of my body weight gone in the 5 years I've been running.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ian - myself and SBD are seasoned nutters, but you can run a lot of miles regularly if most of it is easy paced.......thats a lot of mileage bests, and weight loss bests. You are well placed to run well. You defo need to start working on your race day strategy now, re pace, fuelling, mental rehearsal, what might or might not happen on the day.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That’s some incredible mileage there between you all.

my highest month ever is about 230.

I managed 47 mins yesterday with no issue. Had a chat with Lewis basically me relaying my frustration now at running just far enough to get into my stride then stopping and fact not felt a thing from my back in a month so we’ve agreed I’ll go out and try an 8 miler later this morning.

Feeling Pretty excited as that is just over an hour and is very much the gateway to normality if it goes well as I’ll probably do 10 next week then 13 a week or two later. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - i agree, you must be clear for take off. How did it go?

19m inc p and d mp run here (13.1m for the mp block). Trying to make these key runs given no build up races. But its a long way for a training effort.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Went well, ran my favourite route which is very hilly so didn’t make it easy but the last 2 miles were downwards do I figured if I was tiring that might help.

8m at 7.57 average for a mid point easy range he and feel just like I’d expect to feel after an 8m run based on pre injury feeling ie like it didn’t really happen.

i suspect yesterdays government particularly regarding fans at sports events will have been a blow for vmlm plans, whatever they may be.

Nice work on the long mp, Tr. can’t be easy making that level of effort when no race is likely. 

Next weeks schedule is starting to look more ‘normal’ with a fartlek session Tuesday, a progressive run Friday and a 10m long Sunday with the usual recovery runs in between and some moderate bike. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - good news, you should be ok to build up now...........with no races runs like today's will do me good, even if vlm gets cancelled and brightons rescheduled event is no good for me, then i have the Goodwood option for end pf Sept and early Dec. With not much else to pick from the level will hopefully be half decent. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I’m just going to use August now to build the workload up to a normal out of peak schedule so 45m ish with a long around 15, mlr about 8 then a steady tempo and a fartlek and a few easy runs. Next week has 31 miles in it so building in 14 more over 4 weeks isn’t wildly optimistic.

If London is on I’ll run it but beyond that I’m spending September to December head down training like most of you have since March. As you state above the tapering and recovery in a training block from ad hoc racing can be disruptive so a consistent block of 4 months where that isn’t an option will really do me good.