Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's unusual for you, Gul!!

Lightweight, gdawg. I take the live by the sword, die by the sword approach and don't reward my hangover with an unplanned rest day, in the hope that next time I think twice.

Bit of a pretty meaty session lunchtime of 6 x 1m off 1 min over lunch at hmp-10kp. The first rep came in at half pb pace of 6.14, then I settled in with a 6.07, 6.08, 6.08, 6.07 and 6.02 as my finale. I was really working hard for it in the last 2 reps, wading through lactic. Didn't look at the watch doing them and they felt slower than earlier reps so was surprised to see they were the fastest pair.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Wish I could remember the last time I had a good drinking sesh with friends- and ran with a hangover 😇. I'm jealous of course.
    Sounds like an enjoyable run GDawg.
    The hip issues are back so a few days rest here.
  • GD - getting ready for the XC season?! Nice run.
    DT - that's a stonking session. I blame lack of caffeine for my oversleeping.
    OO - hope the rest sorts it out.
    Up usual time today, but had to be back earlier than usual. So 6 miles with 4x0.75M efforts. No splits but optical HRM gave average bpm of 192 for the last 5 miles (i.e after warm-up). Maybe still elevated after the match last night - Linnets snatched 2 late goals to win 3-2.
  • Quiet day yesterday by the looks of it. Or maybe just very busy!
    9 slow miles this morning. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Low mojo this morning. Was supposed to run at lunchtime but now have meetings, so dragged myself out to do some form of intervals. I'm never good at speedy stuff in the mornings but the thought of a rest between reps made it a tad more appealing.

Session was 10 x 2 mins efforts off 90 sec jog recoveries. Reps weren't that quick, in fact they were all over the place ranging from MP to 5k pace. This was partly down to strong headwinds in parts and the rain and the strangely warm temperature.

Anyway, another 7.5 miles averaging 7.22 pace to the week and now looking forward to some long muddy trails on Saturday.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Hey gang! Long time no speak. I just logged on having had to re set my password as I had forgotten it and went back in time to April! Crikey I knew it had been a while but didn't realise how long. Have I missed any major events on here since my absence? Hope you're all keeping well and haven't gone mad yet during these strange times. Will check in again soon, cheers everyone. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Pecker up GD 👌
    Great to hear from Gerard. 2 years since we ran Jersey marathon, popped up on my fb memories 🤩
    Managed 2*2 miles today. Plus my first swim in ages.
    Good to see your not having a lay in Gul you slacker 🤭
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, they've had a decent start do far, given I think they've had two consecutive promotions, both of which being quite big jumps. 

Hi Gérard, good to hear from you. 

How's the hip, oo?

Nice little session  gdawg. 

I did a double day yesterday with spin in the morning then 6m progressive over lunch. Easy 8 today then my first full rest day tomorrow in many weeks. Should be very close to 50m this week. 
  • GD - well done getting out there and putting in a decent effort in spite of how your felt.
    GM - hey, good to hear from you. Hope you're keeping well and do post again soon.
    OO - no swimming here yet.
    DT - nice double - enjoy the rest :)
    8 miles this morning, couple of miles slowly warming up, then 6 @ 7:30/m.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've just entered an actual race, Derby 10m on 15th November. They seem to have a clear covid plan etc so 5 weeks Sunday gives me another months good training. 
  • BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    It's great to see plenty of good running going on. I did a few miles last weekend and posted a report here :)

https://forums.runnersworld.co.uk/discussion/349740/on-the-run-from-the-crum-24-hr-ultra
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That was quite a read, Badbark. Great and outcome. 

In less impressive news, another very comfortable 14m today for 48m for the week. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you Badbark. Glad to hear you are back on it 😉
    Well done DT good going. I only managed 26 but passed the 2000 mark for the year. Still not right but with combo of run and swim I'm staying fit.
  • Badbark - just utterly amazing! Congratulations that is some going. Hope you're recovering okay :)
    DT - another good week. Must be good to have a race to target!
    OO - well done reaching 2,000.
    No running this weekend as I was busy prepping a sermon for Sunday morning. Then I overslept today. Hopefully will get out for a run tomorrow!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Oh my word, Badbark, that's insane?

Cracking weekly miles, DT. I 'd like a 10 mile race around then but nothing available in these parts. There's a HM I have my eye on, though.

Congrats on the 2k OO. I've never done anything near that.

Had a brilliant run on Saturday, 16 miles in the Surrey Hills with the lads. It became a standing joke as whenever we turned a corner we seemed to be continually running uphill and I was jokingly complaining. It was very enjoyable and I was pleased how well my glutes and hamstrings were dealing with it. We climbed over 2000 feet although my watch registered just under, the other 3 guys had it well above on theirs.

4 miles on sore legs to recover yesterday bagged 36 for the week.

• GD - sounding much more chirpy :) Great run to finish the week.
    Managed to get up half an hour earlier today, so at least got a short run in. 4 easy miles. Must do better :(
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Slacker, Gul:D  You're the early morning benchmark around here.

I was up and out first thing for 8 miles easy on the trails. Nice early morning light with due burning off to make for some nice views.
    It's tough getting out at the moment but once out I'm enjoying it. Setting attainable targets is helping. I've set a weekly goal on Strava for 32 miles per week. Usually at this time of year I've done my autumn marathon (apart from New York last year) and recovering/easing down into Christmas before starting a Spring campaign.

The current idea is to find some trail HMs and race for position to maintain focus and strength. Hopefully the Surrey HM will be on in March and I can have a pop at a PB.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Relieved to hear our local pools stay open for the time being. I've taken out a membership so plan to swim 3 times a week and maybe run a bit less until marathons return. My 1st club sesh tonight since the hip injury- a real tester.
    Good going GDawg, that's a lot of hills 😳

• GD - good to have a plan to help motivation. No daylight here now when out running :(
    OO - good idea to rest the hip when you can. Hope it's okay tonight.
    Must get an early night...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

What on earth is going on, Gul with this laziness!!

OO, good to hear that you can still get a swim in. Hope the hip holds up later.

Normal cycles and structures are all out the window as it stands, G-dawg. It's a good chance without the taper and recovery of various races to really build some good consistency though.

Had a top session over lunch today. 10 x 1k off 1 minute starting at HMP and working to 10kp if feeling good.

Pretty successful session and well executed with reps of  3.57, 3.49, 3.46, 3.41, 3.44, 3.44, 3.44, 3.41, 3.40 and 3.40. The first 7 all felt well controlled and a bit of a cruise. It was only when I nudged the pace in the last 3 that it became  harder work.

• DT - very strong reps again. Mrs GD bought some blackout curtains last week, so I am blaming them for my late mornings :)
    That said, I was up a bit earlier again today and pleased to have time to do a decent session. 9 miles with 6 @ 7:08/m.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    That's more like it, Gul, well played.

Cracking session, DT. I'm watching some of your quicker sessions with a view to nicking them myself. However, to do them properly I need to go out at lunchtimes when my body has been awake for a while. Work is mad at the moment and by the time the evening comes, I'm knackered.

So, it was morning miles again today. Thought I'd try mile alternates despite having only been out of bed for 30 mins. It was tough to get going.

In the end, the run went well. The route was 7 miles and the session was 3 x 7.1x and 3 x 6.3x.
    The faster miles came out at 6.29, 6.39, 6.33 and as the legs were awake by then, I cruised in a 6.49 to finish and average 6.51 for the trip.

Really pleased with that as I know I can go quicker if I've been up and moving longer. Good signs that the continued running is bedding in nicely.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

That's more like it, Gul.

That's some good paces g-dawg. Well they aren't my sessions as such, I jut do what's in the schedule. I must say though the Tuesday sessions are the ones that I dread the most as I know they are taking me into the red zone and outside my comfort zone, but when they get nailed they provide the best sense of satisfaction.

Chipped the weight a bit further so at 10,13 now so peak race weight! That'll all get undone soon though (unless the g ovt interfere) as we have just booked a weeks all inc to Zante, flying next Friday. I've never done all inc as we usually favour getting out and about etc  and don't book packages so I fear I may go a bit crazy with the complete freeness of it all!

Off out shortly for an easy 7m.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The race i entered 5 days ago has now cancelled. Shame as I'm feeling I'm in better shape now than where I left off. I fear even the most vovid friendly race will fall away over winter. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited October 2020
    Impressive training from everyone in these difficult times.

Bad news on the 10 mile race DT.  You've got back to race fitness pretty quickly with some admirable discipline on the weight.  Any other races you can enter?

You're getting some good quality sessions in there G-D.

Those early morning sessions would kill me Gul - well done on getting out and getting some quality in.

Hope you can keep the swim sessions going OO.

We need a picture of the running outfit Badbark.  Great work!

Hope you're running well Gerard.

A bit of a lean spell for me over the last 2 months.  Managed to end my running streak on 6th August after a cat induced injury.  Still, 2,781 miles in 268 days was not too bad.  The injury was a bit bizarre.  I was woken up in the early hours by the sight of a black life form hurtling towards me.  I leapt out of the bed faster than Usain Bolt leaving the blocks and injured something at the back of the right knee in the process.   The approaching life form was of course the swish of the cat's tail!

After a few precautionary rest days, which coincided with the London cancellation notice, the mojo took a nose dive and it's been a struggle since.  So lots of non running days in August and September.  Hopefully the rest has done me good and I can start to rebuild.  I had hoped to do the Derby 10 to give myself some focus, so that's a shame that's now been cancelled.  I may enter one of the HMs at Eaton Dorney in Nov/Dec but will see how the training goes for the next few weeks.  
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    SBD sorry to hear that though it's probably the most bizarre injury I've heard of for a while. 
    The rest of you guys are killing it. Great to hear you are back to pre injury level DT.
    Heard today my daughter in London has Covid. So far symptoms have been mild so fingers crossed. 🤞
  • GD - nice turn of speed for your morning session.
    DT - that's a real shame - you seem to be in great shape at the moment - really frustrating.
    SBD - good to hear from you, although shame about the bizarre end to your running streak. I bet Ron Hill doesn't have a cat. Hope the rest did you good and you can find a race before everything inevitably shuts down again as seems highly likely.
    OO - yes, hope your daughter is okay.
    9 slow miles today (8:40/m).  Wrist HRMs make me laugh. For the tempo run yesterday, it read avg bpm of 124 and 160 for today's run :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Mine is the same Gul, all over the place.Glad to see you putting in some proper runs again🤣
    Lovely swim this morning in a near empty pool. 2km non stop in 45 mins. Making the most of it in case we are shut down next week..

• OO - good swim :)
    Not to be left out of the lunchtime running, I just snuck in a cheeky run to the Building Society and back (Mrs GD has the car this afternoon).  2.41 miles @ 7:14/m. Had 5 mins to spare, so could have made it up to 3 miles :(
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

SBD,  good t hear from you. I suspected that the VMLM cancellation was the final straw, having battled on relentlessly. There's a winter half mid December in Milton Keynes and also the Silverstone events on the same day as Derby 10. I'm thinking of entering the 10k. I think these closed circuit events have much greater prospect of happening.

OO, hope your daughters symptoms remain that way.

I think for optical to work well you should limit the hair on wrist, ensure the bottom of watch is very clean and put it on very tight.

Nice lunchtime run, Gul. Must have opened your eyes to a whole new running game!

Yesterdays 7m and todays 4m both presented fairly impressive pace v hrm stats, my finest in 3 years of running those routes. Also did spin this morning.

I took the opportunity to get myself back on the bodytrax machine. My last use was 11 Feb when I was at peak. The many many stats the machine gives were bizarrely almost identical to that last use and in particular my weight at 69.7kg was the same. As far as weights go under 70kg is very much the holy grail for me and somewhere I've not spent much time in the last 20 years. Still don't really feel like I've made that much effort, but little point right now getting upset if I can't get any lower.