Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I had my last swim today and felt a bit sad. With just running to focus on, I'll try to keep ticking over for the next month and hold my weight in spite of a bursting food cup board...
  • DT  - yes, the U.S. presidential election system is a bit bonkers; but then look at our parliamentary elections!
    GD - good to have a target 
    OO - stop keep stocking it up!
    11 miles again today; trying to mix it up a bit, so 2 w/u and 9 steady.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    More good miles Gul.
    The sooner this US election is over the better...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO, I felt very much the same as my last spin session ended yesterday. I guess at least I have the bike still set up on the turbo and it did a job last time. I just need to adapt my mindset a little. More importantly though, this time I can actually run so I won't be doing 6 days a week sat on it in the garage.

Gdawg, good start to the month. We should all be able to hit some of these mileage records over the coming ,months if we are inclined as we wont have that taper/recover cycle from racing, plus many peoples mileage is a bit lower in oct/nov as they will have run a mara.

It's a bit sad I know, but I've been looking at the whole xmas period and the way xmas falls and how my training is geared, other than xmas day I ought to be business as usual. Plus a few of those messy xmas nights out won't happen so I am hoping for a pretty decent December, to et me up for mara training from January.

Gul, some good consistency so far this month!

I am a little squiffy today as went out at 5.30 yesterday. The pub was trying to get rid of as much Estrella as it could as anything left in the barrel was down the drain, so it was £2 a pint. I certainly did my best to help!

I had thought from the last e-mail that my London GFA place was done and dusted, until I saw OO post on FB. Seems you need to keep an eye on your e-mails and complete some further info   by 16th November to finalise it.

Easy 6m in a bit and physio over lunch, which is essentially a sports massage on my back.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I wondered what you were on about there, DT as I too thought I had everything confirmed for London 2021. Just noticed the GFA confirmation email. All sorted and place now confirmed.

I put my predicted time s 2.59.30, why not, eh!?  :D

Rest day today after a nice steak meal with the Fam at the local Cote last night.
    Trails with a mate on Saturday, we can't all meet as a group as usual so we're doing a rota based system for November to keep in touch and have company on a run whilst complying with the rules.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I've put down 2 54.00. With a year to train and where I feel I am now, setting aside unanticipated catastrophe, I think it's a fair shout. That also has the significance of being Berlin gfa.  I'd rather run Berlin on that standing if I can. 

6m easy just before lunch. Lovely running conditions out there. May step up from the pure easy run and put in a tempo of sorts, even if it's just 6.50s just to move the legs differently. 
  • How many more times will we have to confirm GFA entry?! I put down 3:05:00 which would still be over a 4 min official PB - not counting training marathons which are obviously easier ;)
    Yet another 11 miler this morning. Slow ones today.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I need to shave 1 min 48 secs to off my PB to go sub-3.

That doesn't sound much, in the past I've improved by more e.g. 4 mins off Berlin to grab 3.05 in Chicago, then 4 mins off that in London last year. However, the jump to sub-3 sounds bigger as it's such a big psychological marker.

As you say, DT, a year to train and sitting on a good base right now, we're in with a shout to hit the targets.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It's a bit like they are endeavouring to catch a few of us out to reduce the pot!!

The good thing about a mara is that if you can improve by just 3 or 4 seconds per mile, you're knocking a decent chunk off, whereas a 5k It's barely noticeable. 
  • GD - a year is a long time. I will probably peak in February :)
    DT - Yes, but it works the other way too!
    11 miles with 16 x 400m tempo intervals. King's Lynn are away to Port Vale in the F.A. Cup today - first time in 14 years they've made it to the first round proper, I think.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    This cookies page is driving me nuts. Has anyone found a way to get in to RW without refreshing the screen 4+ times?
    I've taken my foot off the gas this week. My wife's shop is closed under lockdown. Having Mrs OO around is lovely, but distracting me a bit from running. Still hoping to scrape 50 though, but no quality runs.
    Good effort DT, at £2 a pint I'd have risked a night out 😉.

• OO - that must be worrying for Mrs OO. Hope you make 50.
    The Linnets beat Port Vale 1-0. Didn't see that coming! 11 very slow miles this morning. HRM hasn't improved after all. Avg 190 / Max 198. Still that's 77 miles for the week :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, we don't contemplate it going the other way here, it's all up, up, up! One more win and the big boys could be drawn! I suggest if you intend paying any attention to hr you buy a cheap chest strap one. 

Oo, I've seen you when it's £5 a pint so i can quite imagine! I haven't noted any cookie based issues. 

Decent tempo Friday. Took the edge off the pace as I've not done anything beyond easy for 2 weeks so 6m at 6.38mm. The most noteworthy point was the ridiculously low average hr at 149. 

14 this morning gives me 45  for week. I entered the Easter weekend Dorney lake mara yesterday. 21 weeks today!!! 
  • DT - very tidy tempo run. Nice to have a target race again. I have a chest strap HRM. It's the watch that needs upgrading; it doesn't have the option to pair with another HRM. Fortunately I'm not too fussed about training by HR.
    11 miles with strides this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Don't blame you Gul, I find HR data very unreliable. You must be headed for big mileage this year?
    51 for me last week. Need to keep this up for 7 more weeks for a new record. Also a record for the least races in a year 🙄

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Some good weekly totals going on, lads, nice one!

Only 39 miles here after an 18 on Saturday and 5 recoveries yesterday. Don't know why but my thighs were just not firing on Saturday. I think I need to do some regular core work to give them some help. Still managing to do 4 sessions per week.

Well done to the Linnets, Gul. Woking surrendered a 2-0 led to lose to Gillingham 3-2. We were able to watch it live via the EFL stream. Usually we would have all travelled to be at the game. Probably a good season to not progress as pulling a big team from the hat would be mighty disappointing from a spectating point of view.
  • OO - well done squeezing in 51. Not going to be a particularly high mileage year for me due to June, August and September being very poor.
    GD - good long run there. I had thought the same about how frustrating it would be to get to the third round only to not be able to go and see the game. Looks like that won't be a problem however, seeing as we've been drawn away to Portsmouth. LOL.
    11 miles with 6 x 1000m reps off 600m recoveries (sorry DT), progressing from 3:5x to 3:4x. Got drenched on the way home.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Nice intervals, Gul. Must be the day for it.

Got 7 miles in at lunchtime with 16 x 0.25 miles in 1.3x off 60 sec recs.
    Seemed to get quicker as it went on, first rep was 1.39 and the final rep was 1.25, happy with that as I've not tried quicker intervals for a while.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, Portsmouth is a pretty big draw at this stage. It was only 10 years or so ago they were in the prem league and winning the FA cup. Hopefully the 600m recoveries were very fast...…

Nice session also G-dawg.

Much the same for me today, with 7 x 1k off 1 minute and then a 3 min rest followed by one hard and fast k as part of our coaching group challenge. The 7 x 1k all came in between 3.42 and 3.45 (except the always slower first one at 6.50). The final effort came in at 3.29. Few quieter days now before a tempo on Friday.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Good quality sessions from DT, G-D and Gul and good mileage from OO.

My London GFA entry was a bit more protracted as I had to provide evidence of a qualifying time from 2019.  Looks like I'm now in for 2021 and have optimistically put down a predicted time of 2:49:59.  Current form would suggest 3:20 but I'm hopeful there's still plenty of time to regain lost fitness :'(
  • GD - some speedy reps.
    DT - excellent 1k intervals. Sorry, recoveries were definitely slow.
    SBD - glad you got your entry sorted in the end. Good to aim high :)
    11 easy miles this morning.
  • 5 easy. Started after Gul had finished 😆
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    He puts us all to shame, Jools:D

8 midweek muddy miles for me this morning before work. Could really feel the intervals from yesterday in my legs. Defo need more practice at that fast malarky.
  • Jools - are you feeling okay now?
    GD - I guess the mud won't have helped.
    11 slow miles this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Surprised you put 2:49 SBD, is that a PB? Will be great to have there in London though.
    After this lockdown year and my poor form on long runs I'm doubting whether sub 3 will happen for me again. Also strange to have the next marathon booked so far in the future, I'll maybe need to find something in Spring to warm me up for the main event in Autumn.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Get yourself to Dorney lake, OO!!!

SBD, that seems a fair time to put in given your 2.52 (?) last year. 

Some solid consistency, Gul, even if you are wimping out on the intervals!!!

G dawg, similar here re intervals in the legs on my 7 yesterday. Its been about 4 weeks for me so a mild ache.

It'll be interesting to see how far the gfa time reduces for new vmlm entrants. With those carrying over from2020 and the virtual run, there can't be many places left.

Also interesting to note the change in champs qualifying time to 2.40. Looking on rb, in 2019 just over 500 men ran 2.40- 2.44.59. That's about 20% of the 3000 places. That In itself in my view will lead to a good 3 min increase in qualifying times on top of the 2.40 general reduction. Think going forwards you'll need to be a good 6 plus minutes under the initial qualifying time to have a chance of making the cut. 

Easy 4 in a bit and a bike interval session.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Interesting thoughts on the GFA places for 2021 DT.

2:49 was my target for the April 2020 London - a slight improvement on the October 2019 Abingdon PB of 2:51:14 - so it seemed rude not to stick to this!  I doubt whether it will effect any pen allocations.

I'm also tempted to enter Dorney in April 2021.  I've done quite a few training runs there and spectated at a number of rowing events.  More often than not it's been pretty windy but on a still day it's a perfect running venue!

A couple of non-running days Tuesday-Thursday so need to get back out tomorrow! 
  • DT - if you're right about GFA places then I might not get another chance.
    SBD - nearly a whole year to go, so 2:49 is still perfectly possible.
    Tempo run today. 11 miles with 9 @ 6:54 /m. Nice to string a load of sub 7 miles together for the first time in quite a while.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2020
    Very impressive Gul. How you run like that in the middle of the night I'll never know 👍
    Dorney is a bit far for me DT and I have a deferred 10k the same weekend. Will be looking out for something though.