Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm happy to wait a bit for fresh snow, it's the sludge afterwards I hate.
     Keep up the good work VT, you are in the right job 👍
    Slow week for me but the annual mileage goal is looking secure, plus about 80 miles of swimming likely, including 5 swims planned this week. My skin is starting itch from all the chlorine, but its giving my hips a welcome break. 
  • A steady 6 for me this morning. I'm going to be a bit of a weekend warrior this week, I think! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Weekend warrior- like the sound of that 👍
  • Gul, over the last 5 days you've run 11, 14, 13 (with intervals), 14, and 17. Beast!

11M this morning. Didn't feel very fresh, but was glad to get a second daylight run in. Been lots of night running the past few months.
  • OO - sounds like a lot of swimming. Are they putting extra chlorine in the water?!
    Jools - scary :)
    VTr - I might get a daytime run between Christmas and New Year. Mrs GD has to to work but I get time off.
    13 miles this morning including some pyramid strides.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Looks like you are on for a big week Gul.
    I think the reaction is just to the daily dose of chlorine, plus showering not allowed at the pool.

I'm planning to run most days over Xmas, but will stop swimming while the family are home. We will probably go to Keswick on Boxing Day and come back on the 30th when I've entered a last gasp 10k race with junior. My last 10k was Trafford in March when I ran 38:27, so I'll try to get near that and end the year well.

• OO - that will be a good end to the year then. No showers? I wasn't planning on going back to the gym for some swimming, and now I'm definitely not!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Funny system Gul, you shower on the way in but not out, to avoid mixing...
    5th swim of the week, almost 10k total. Now to punish myself with some track as I'm shopping all day tomorrow and can't run 😪
  • OO - great swimming. Careful with that shopping!
    Bit of a weekend wimp here with 11 miles. But in my defence it was a very late night due to a Zoom murder mystery / work Christmas party.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Popping in to wish DT the best of luck tomorrow,hipw you get the result your training deserves.
    Crappy couple of months since my last race,had the groin issue that lasted a couple of weeks,then a tooth infection led to me being in hospital on a drip,then plantar fasciitis so overall a rubbish time,hopefully over them all now so starting to build up,longest run for a few weeks is 6.5 miles, seems a long way back.
  • 12 miles this morning with 3 X 4km @ marathon pace. Now, 17 per 4km would be sub 3 pace, so I was pleased with 17.13, 17.19 and... 16.53 :smile:
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Quick one before I drive home, 80.37 on a difficult twisty course in what was a solo time trial. About 1min 40 pb from Feb. 
  • Awesome result, DT!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    Well done DT cracking run, thats more like it (given the training paces youve been hitting in training over the last year or two), getting down towards low 2.5X potential too. That'll get you out the door in preparation for Dorney in April (see you there).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Excellent DT that's some run 👍
  • DT - wow, amazing time and far from ideal conditions. Sorry, not sure why I thought it was a 10k. Look forward to hearing more.
    Ian - sorry to hear to hear you've had such a rough time. All the best with the comeback.
    Jools - very promising.
    12 miles including a few faster bits; fartlek I guess. Makes 94 for the week.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Thanks guys, pretty much sat at 6.10 average from the start. Drifted down to 6.11 a few times and there were a few tough moments in the early part of the 2nd half when there still seemed a long way to go but dug in.

Lewis feels on the right course with other runners id be sub 80. 

Tr, yep, if I can improve a few more seconds per mile in the pending mara cycle then I'm well placed to be nicely under 2.55 at Dorney. 

Ian, sorry to hear of your tricky few months. As you'll have seen from my experience, if you do it right, you can bounce back pretty quickly in relative terms. 

Gul, wow that's a big week. Not sure I'd be able to walk away without making it 100 mind! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The odd thing is I had no soreness yesterday post race. I'm usually pretty stiff, particularly after a 90 minute drive home. Today I have some very mild doms in quads, thats it. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    DT - you put the work in in training though DT so your legs are tougher, the Next % are supposed to help with the legs too.
    I agree, defo aim sub 80 with a bit more training and people to race with. You've stepped up a level, maybe its a belief thing i was sure you could race quicker given the training you do. Hopefully im not too far behind you at Dorney.

Gul - thats a big week, with no doubles it needs a lot of mlrs.

3 weeks back running here, the isolation did my body no favours, getting going again aged 53 has been painful (i still get this osteitis pubis type issue at times), and ive been careful of my lungs in case the CV19 lingered.

Ive entered a pre Dorney mara at Goodwood in Feb, seeing as last wk i missed a more or less still day there, sods law given the 40mph winds i copped in Sept for my 3.00.00.
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Brilliant time on that course,comfortable sub 80 is ready next year for you.
    I know I can back but it is going to take a lot if patience,I bought a proper heart monitor a few weeks ago so will use that to make sure I don't over stretch.
  • A steady 18 for me to bring up 55 for the week.
  • *Pokes head back in*

Hi folks! It's been ages I know. So long that I have over 6000 notifications so I'm afraid I won't be reading back. Now that I work mostly from home I realised I stand a better chance of keeping up with the forums, at least until the pandemic settles down and we all go back to work the office anyway. I've not been running much. I broke my ankle in July and since there was no rush to get back for any races I took up weight lifting/body building for a couple of months. I was out for so long I had to start back with couch to 5k (accelerated version though) and now 2 weeks of 25 miles per week all slow and steady. I'm chomping at the bit to get back to proper mileage and sessions but it was a long lay off and I don't fancy another one due to trying to come back too quickly. 

How are you all and do you have any actual, real races coming up?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great to hear from you speedy- we missed you. How did break your ankle? So glad you are back, on the mend, and looking forward to your new adventures 👍
  • Ian, wow, that is a series of unfortunate events! Glad you are past it and working on the comeback. When all the big gains start hitting, you'll be smiling again (and soon!). Hang in there.

DT, what an excellent race. You've got some serious wheels. Well done!

Gul, HUGE week. Wow. 

OO, I need to do some swimming so I have some perspective when I read about your swimming exploits.

Jools, you are cranking too. Nice drop in pace and well done a proper LR.

TR, hope you don't carry any long term issues from the infection. You are in a good place to now have immunity (I'm of the belief that 99.9% of those that have recovered will be immune, most likely for a long time). One less thing to worry about now.

Speedy, big changes for you too. How was the body building. Did you put on some lean muscle mass? And if so, how long will it stay once you get running again?? ;-)

Gul, I took a smaller page (part of a page) from your book this week. 65 miles in, with 6 runs all at 10M or more. Finished the week with a subLT that went pretty OK considering a few too many miles were sitting in the legs.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2020
    A humble 45 for me last week, but with 5 swims totalling 10k. I felt very tired on my long run in spite of a rest day Saturday-Christmas shopping must have tired me out. So decided to cut my losses at 14 miles and skulk home. The record is still in sight with 90 miles to go in two and a bit weeks.
    That's a cracking total VT and you're not even tired 😳
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Hi Speedy, good to hear from you. How did you break your ankle? I had some time out through the middle of the year with a stress fracture. Managed my first race since February on Saturday at the milton Keynes half. Walked away with a decent pb.

Nice 18, Jools. I need to start building my long run up in the coming weeks.

Did you go to real life shops, OO, or just spend the day on the laptop, which is what a days xmas shopping would look like for me!

Solid total off 6 runs, VT.

TR- yes, mentality maybe a part of it. I've always had this sort of fear of paces approaching 6mmin,  my head they have always been way beyond me and a recipe for a blow up. I always used to crumble in the last stages of a race as well with this strange desire to gag and vomit, almost akin to a panic attack. Sometimes that would kick in at mile 11, sometimes in the last 400m but it would cost me dearly and id often have to slow right down in last 2 miles and a sprint finish was an impossibility. I sought help with all that and it seem to have gone away now, with miles 11 and 13 Saturday being my fastest, as well as a full on sprint finish.

Very ploddy 10 miles yesterday for 47m week. With the exception of my long run and main session coming together last week was a pretty normal week as I did a session Tuesday, the mlr yesterday and my 2 spin classes and mileage was at usual level.

• DT - yes, sub 80 is definitely within sight and with another solid campaign behind you for Dorney, who knows what you might be aiming for at Dorney.
    TR - still lots of time for a slow build-up for Dorney, if not Goodwood. Yes, 6 MLRs last week (and 1 LR).
    Speedy - great to hear from you again. How did you manage to break your ankle? Well done resisting the urge to over do it at this stage and remaining patient. I've nothing booked until 3rd Oct 2021 - assuming London 2021 goes ahead.
    VTr - good going with a subLT at the end of a high mileage week.
    OO - not sure which has a worse impact - shopping or gardening :)
    12 easy miles to start the week here.
  • Well, the ankle break wasn't anything exciting. I was out running and must have stood on a loose stone. I rolled it and the ligaments pulled the end of the bone off. Apparently that's the most common ankle break. 

I did gain some muscle, but no bulk. I lost fat and weigh less now than I did before I broke my ankle. I suppose I'll lose some of the upper body gains, but in the lower body I was mostly rebuilding the withered leg that had been in a moon boot. I plan to lift heavy twice a week going forwards. The elites all seem to do it, although the video I've seen of Mo Farah doing barbell back squats made me giggle. His form is rubbish. 

I take it you had Covid TR? I had it in March/April. No testing at the time but I had an antibody test as part of a study in May and I had loads of 'em. Last month my dad died with Covid. I sat in a small stuffy room with him for hours. I had a mask and gloves on, but he didn't. I isolated but had no symptoms at all. No way of knowing if I could still have passed it onwards, but I didn't get ill a second time despite prolonged exposure.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Milton Keynes winter half

As we’ve all been a bit starved of a race report and as this went well I thought I’d put one in.

So following a summer on the sidelines, my plan was to not consider racing until I could do it justice again, which I anticipated would be into next year. However, training in the last month or so told me I was in a good place and with this event cancelling everyone in a tier 3 area, places opened up.

The race was split over 2 days with a Saturday and Sunday event, but 1 set of results. I opted for Saturday. You then selected a start time, the options being every 4 minutes between 9-11am. Given my journey I selected 11am. This was changed to 10.12 due to most people wanting to run early.

I set off  to arrive an hour before my start time. My concerns were raised when my satnav took me off the m42 towards m6 as opposed m40. I have zero trust in the m6, you could drive down it at 3am on Christmas morning and get caught in a jam. Shortly after joining my worst fears were compounded and I was met with a complete standstill, 25 minutes ticked by before we got moving again and I’d all but given up hope. Once we got moving again (there had been a pretty nasty accident on the other side and debris had come over  so it all needed clearing) things moved well, however I was stressed as I would now only arrive 30 mins before the start and I didn’t know how far away I had to park etc. As it turned out there was a massive car park right by the start/finish. Additionally, the toilet situation was good as most people had already gone by the time I needed to go. I therefore managed a 1m wu which was fine.

I was conscious of the start situation and you all started in an orderly straight line with no over taking for first 200m. I therefore got myself at the gate promptly so that I was first in queue. As we moved towards the start a lady positioned herself ahead of me. I didn’t want to appear judgmental etc but she didn’t look like she would be running an 80 minute half. I asked her what she was aiming for and she said 1.50, she then asked me and politely moved herself back behind me without further discussion.

We were promptly off at 10.12 and I tuned into 6mm pace ish. After about 0.5m another lad from my start came past me. It took me until about 1.5m to catch him but we were both then locked in at 6.10mm. It was also useful as the first 4-5m were into a steady but not strong headwind and he was a pretty tall lad. The first 5 miles drifted by at 6.12, 6.13, 6.07, 6.09 and 6.11. The pace was feeling a bit sharper than I had hoped but that may have been down to the headwind.

At 4m the other guy suddenly dropped off the pace and I found myself completely alone, passing various others from earlier starts but no one near my pace to focus on or work with. The course also became very tricky at this point with an impossible number of twists and turns around the Redway paths, really killing momentum. There were moments where I just craved a few hundred metres of straight road. I bashed on going through 10k in about 38.15. My average pace was pretty much locked on 6.10mm with the odd drop to 6.11 but nothing more.

After 10k my focus was on getting to mile 10. I knew that there was a bit of climbing in that mile, but then it was followed by a downhill mile 11, So I focused on getting to there with plenty in me. The miles ticked by, 6.07, 6.16, 6.18 and 6.07. Finally the twists and turns eased but I was into some climbing. It wasn’t as bad as I had anticipated and came out of that mile with a 6.26 and average pave at 6.12. I was then met with the downhill mile with much of it a long straight path. That came in at 5.52.

Moving into mile 12, I knew then that there was no need for anything silly, just sit at 6.15 and it’ll be good. Mile 12 came in at 6.20 and average pace was 6.11. Mile 13 then was slightly downhill and straighter so I managed a 6.02 with an all out sprint for the last bits coming in at 80.39.

Very pleased with that and having started the year with a half pb of 83.35, I now end it with a genuine chance to run sub 80.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Very sorry to hear about your dad Speedy. I would hope it was a blessing that your dad had you nearby, unlike many old folks who died alone without family. You've had a tougher year than most of us, lets hope 2021 gets a lot better 🤞🙏