Sub 3h15

Comments

• Speedy - nice work. Is it still icy?
    14 miles this morning, mostly easy and a few steady.to finish.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Dom, are you with a your company for NY? I have a time qualifier place from 2020 so waiting to select my option of which year to move to. 

Speedy, yes as oo said, once you get the first few weeks done, the journey back is sort of exciting. You can almost see yourself getting fitter every run you do.

Gdawg, good to see you off the mark. 

Gul, nice solid 14. 

SBD, great mileage, something I couldn't imagine doing! Yes, 30m per week doesn't sound particularly impressive or the training of an 80 minute half, but you can't discount completely the bike work and the helping hand I've given myself with weightloss.  

I took new years day off then back at it yesterday pm. 4m wu, 2 x 4m at mp off 1m then 1m cd. The 9m came out at 6 45mm average and mp miles sat nicely at 6.34/6.35. By the last 4m stint the temp had dropped at it was pretty slippy so pleased to have held pace and stayed upright. 

Just spin this morning. 
  • DT19 said:
    Dom, are you with a your company for NY? I have a time qualifier place from 2020 so waiting to select my option of which year to move to. 

Not with a company, no - am just an entrant. Have decided to run NY this (!) year and defer Chicago to '22
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ah right, that might not happen quite so smoothly as whilst you'll get to elect your first choice year from 21, 22 or 23 my understanding is if there's an over subscription for 21, which is expected, then it's done by ballot. 
  • Knowing my luck, I'll get into NY for '22 then, and be faced with a similar pile-up & two trips across the Atlantic separated by 3 weeks!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I had a majors plan, Berlin and NY last year, Chicago this year then Boston 2022 as it fell right in Easter hols. That would then leave me a few years to run Tokyo before 50. 

Now Berlin will be 22 then I'm planning to select 2023 for NY to just give this situation proper time to clear then I'll start looking at the other 3. 
  • Dom NorrishDom Norrish ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Luckily, I managed to do Tokyo in March '19, the last time it was open to non-elites. Amazing experience, highly recommended!

Boston will have to wait for me, until I'm old enough to qualify (don't think I'll be fast enough in my 40s)
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Cv19 scuppered my Nov and Dec totals, but i still went past 3500.

DT - 13wks til Dorney, has yr coach started you on a build for it yet? Ive built it back up and am feeling fitter and healthier so im building towards Dorney now.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yes in that Xmas week and this week will be my two highest mileage weeks since injury. We've pushed my long run out to 16 recently and my weekly tempo session up to 8m of effort, mlr now upto 10m and first mixed pace long yesterday with 14m Inc 2 x 4m at mp. 

Not quite as sharp as I felt early December but then with taper and some lower intensity weeks over the last 3 that's understandable. Should come back fast enough in January. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    DT - i noted the sessions,,so thought youd started. I did an 18 and 16 last wk, both with some mp +10% later on, and 10 x 3min, so im declaring myself fit enough to build up. Hopefully we'll both be in good nick for it.
  • Easy 12 this morning, dodging ice patches as it snowed again yesterday afternoon. Is it spring yet please? 

Travel plans.... I remember those. I was supposed to go to Toronto in 2020 for the World Masters. That got cancelled of course. They thought they might be able to stage the World Champs in conjunction with the Europeans in Tampere (Finland) in July 2021, but now that's postponed until 2022 and my 2022 target of the Worlds in Gothenburg has gone back to 2024. Does this virus not know that I'm getting older all this time???! Mind you, in 2024 I'll be a youngster in the V45 category, which might actually be better than being a 43 year old in the (very competitive) V40 category, as I would have been for the original Gothenburg dates. I just need to stay healthy and uninjured....
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    18 for me, to make 60M for the week.  A bit of a grind as for some reason I felt lethargic today, but it's done.  Cut-back next week after 2 @ 60.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Tokyo is the one I want to do but will be the toughest to get in.
    Just 7 miles today but it was my Birthday 😇. Just enough to get me to 50 for the week.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, OO! New forum name needed?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    They've frozen them Jools, we are stuck in this moment forever 😉
  • Happy Birthday OO. Rubbish time to have one if you're in to going out to the pub to celebrate. My friend turns 40 soon, needless to say her plans have been ruined! 

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Happy birthday, oo. I think by that point oo, I'd just take a sports tours or charity place for Tokyo. 

Nice mileage, Joel's. 

Speedy,  my wife turned 50 in November, we started the year with some big plans. 

Tr, Lewis doesn't believe in drawing a line in the sand and saying 'let's start mara training but in my head, I'm going to start taking all the stuff outside of actual training more seriously from tomorrow as my line in the sand. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday OO, shame you cant increment yr forum name.

DT - fair do's, but he's obviously started you towards Dorney. Dont go too monk like, 13 wks is a long time. I look forward to seeing what training he gives you. Do you ever hear of the other athlete he coached on here ? Was it stevie something ? He ran 2.54ish at Abo a couple of years back and looked set for more gains.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks all, I had a lovely day with the family, including food, drink and a nice run- don't feel hard done by at all. By the way I'm 58 today, the name has been stuck for a while now.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, the Government are making it easy. My six nations lads weekend in Edinburgh is cancelled mid February, my birthday weekend is a non starter, February half term we can't go away and pubs and restaurants are closed until March in my view, so nows my best chance. 

Stevew? He did 2 48 in Berlin subsequently but he seems to keep getting calf injuries. I think there's a lot to be said for a seasoned runner who has taken 10 years to incrementally and very slowly get better. The body is built to withstand the paces over the years. When you start running, go straight to marathon and get to that level in 18 months the paces you are progressing to very quickly are tough for the ligaments and soft tissue to keep up with. 

That's my theory at least, might be very wrong but just an observation. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - agreed, those social events wont be able to happen.....that sounds like him, he was only young. I seem to remember him changing his gait too. Maybe he needs time at easier paces, changing styles/gait is very risky.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes it was stevie was who turned my head to coaching and Lewis in particular. At my age I never thought it'd turn out quite well. I dont think stevie is yet 30 still and yes he was very keen to run forefoot. 

Changing form deliberately and quickly is a big risk as much of form is bio-mechanics and my physio posts pictures of elite runners with awful form as she sees so many trying to change theirs and forsnt believe the risk v reward is there. 

With the lack of social life and working from home, it's my best chance of really having a crack at being the best I can in my view. The only thing that would really mess that up is schools closing. That changes my circumstances hugely. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    He did you a favour then. Agreed, maximise the opportunity, schools will no doubt close for some time but there will be pressure to keep it short. I'm back on the run commutes tomorrow, which isnt ideal but gets the job done.
  • Yikes! The thread has suddenly got busy. I will catch up later :) 12 easy miles and back to work today.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    I agree, DT, the slow progress approach has surprised me as I've got older and faster. Body adjustments and conditioning as well as understanding what type of training works best for you are key factors. A key thing for me was to keep training between events and not stop and start from zero at each campaign.

Dom: Don't write off a Boston qualifier just because you're in your 40s. I managed it and enjoyed the event immensely. Compared to London and others, I think the Boston qualifiers are quite generous, yet they make a massive thing of them in the USA.

5 majors down, I only need Tokyo, haven't got a clue when I'll be able to do that now.

OO: Hope you had a great birthday!!

Looked at my Garmin app and it seems my weight last January was identical as it is now. The mission to lose those pounds began with 3 runs of 4, 10 and 4 miles so far. Glute seems better, so will keep on the roller and run gently for now. 
  • DT - nice MP run. Yes, the weather conditions are not conducive to fast running at the moment and I suspect it's quite a bit worse where you live than here.
    Dom - hope it works out with the majors when things return to normal.
    TR - that's still a mahoosive total for last year. I'm pleased to still be working from home and hopefully that will be the norm apart from odd occasions. Work has moved offices and it would now be well over an hour's drive for me or a bonkers run commute :)
    Speedy - some positives from getting older, then!
    Jools - good miles. Cut-back is hopefully over for me now.
    OO - hope you had a good birthday. Snap with the miles.
    GD - my weight is fairly stable at the moment, even over the Christmas hols. Glad the glute is okay.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A steady 6 this morning. Back to running in the dark!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    GDawg, that's both of us looking out for Tokyo- maybe we'll get there together one day 😉 And good luck with the weight loss. I got a ton of sweets as Xmas presents which is not helping my cause.
    13 here today in dreadful weather. Battered by hale stones at one point. 

Take care in the dark Jools, hope you have a good torch. I have one of those chest mounted ones which I've been really impressed with.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Gul - luckily my run commute is 5m min, but i just add on extras.

DT - looks like you're going to have to run before (home) school starts for the day.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I have a good Petzl although some of my route is lit. And because I don't run at Gul o'clock there was daylight for the last few miles!