Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yep I think I spoke too soon and am about to be well and truly kicked in the balls! 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    You'll still be able to get the training in, you will just have to get the logistics sorted. Ask Gul for an early morning call.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Some things will have to give. I suspect the bike sessions will need to go and I focus on running. Weekends are easier though with no junior rugby or football or anywhere else to go. 
  • Options
    Jools - yes, no daylight here yet :) plenty of streetlight though.
    OO - lovely weather; well done 
    TR - I read somewhere that Ron Hill got a map and drew a circle with his work in the centre and a seven mile radius to decide where to live!
    DT - :( 
    14 slow miles this morning.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Imagine a thread slamdown in Tokyo, OO! You'd win, of course and I'd see you in the Tokyo version of The Chandos after and buy you a belly full of Sapporo as we upload selfies to this place. Marvelous!

Managed to get out at lunchtime for a cold and windy 6 miles of fartleks. Christmas belly was very much apparent. Could feel the fat and not really feeling the burn, still, it will sort itself out. Finished with a 6.38 split which cheered me up.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Haha, not at all sure I'd win GD. Would be more interested in a Sapporo drink off 😉 You just never know, it may happen. I also did 7 today in terrible weather. But always a pleasure to chase junior OO. With the pool closed and now the track  closed I'm getting out of options.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    My only race of winter/spring now moved from Feb 6th to Nov 28th.

Next up, London in October. A 30 week training plan ought to do the trick. Best get stuck in tomorrow...
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    GD I can recommend the virtual. Just pick a day and a route and get out and do it. Don't put yourself under pressure with times, just run to feel. I did 3 last year and will certainly be doing more in 2021. My improvement over the last couple of years is based on 3+ marathons a year so even a virtual is better than nothing.

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Awful day today. Schools have gotten full on with set lessons and registration for each one and my youngest they are going to do video lessons. Its all well and good but we both work full time and this fixed and rigid system is utterly impossible us young kids can't just plough on. It's really broken us today to be fair. And neither of us really even started our work. 

That said, I managed a pleasant easy 8m during the alloted lunchtime in glorious blue skies. It was that or work and mentally I just needed a break. Not sure how sustainable it all is as I'm exhausted now. 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - tough few weeks ahead, try to establish a routine if you can. How about running early before work/class, it will ease the "when will i be able to run today pressure"?
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    As TR said, DT. Horrible running in morning darkness but that won't be for long and will give you more time for work/schooling and allow some evening rest rather than a knackered run after another tough day.

Dig in, old son, soon be in a new routine and we're all here for keyboard therapy.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I dont think running early works, unless it's a easy run of less than an hour. I certainly couldn't fo a session at 7.30am. Plus my wife starts at 8.30,bkids start at 9 and need to be fed and dressed. 

We've had a post mortem of today and settled on a plan tomorrow. We've made the kids packed lunches as they would have in school and they know 12.30-1.30 is lunch and they just grab from fridge. I'll go out then if work plays ball. Ultimately my main work period will need to be 3-6pm when schools out. 

I think its just been a huge system shock today and so much to deal with, with zero notice. I'm sure we'll find our rhythm. It was kind of easier last time as I was injured so not able to train. The key frustration today was the 'when can I run' question. That's sorted tomorrow now and rest of week. I accept that the bike work as double days will need to drop off, that is down the priority list. 
  • Options
    VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021

A belated Happy New Year everyone!

OO, nice marathon to finish the year. Solo and on the track. Beast. Happy Bday.

SBD, really nice mileage for the year despite the down second half. You’ll come back stronger! Hopefully the MOJO is waiting.

Speedy, 2021 has to be better!

TR, huge mileage!

DT, that’s a tough schedule. Hang in there.

I ended 2020 with 2,626 miles. Beats my previous best of 2,604 from 2016. And no trips to the PT/Physio since Oct 2019! My final run on New Year’s eve was a really strong subLT. And my weight at year’s end was 166 lbs, which is essentially racing weight for me. This was a bit of a surprise I’ve had my share of xmas treats. Overall, very happy with the run totals and fitness in this weird, raceless year that was 2020. Also really enjoyed an extended holiday break of no work, but plenty of sleep and family time😊

Here's hoping the world can figure out how to efficiently distribute and administer the vaccine. If so, perhaps there will be a few autumn marathons open for entry. And still hoping to use my Boston qualifier whenever they can finally offer another race.

• Options
    12 very slow miles - catch up later!
  • Options
    GD - nice fartlek on Christmas belly :) I'm now in week 42 of a 71 week plan for VLM.
    OO - jnr will keep you on your toes 
    DT - ((())) Hope your plan allows you to at least keep ticking over and the schools can re-open after half term.
    VTr - well done on the annual mileage PB. Pleased to hear you had a good break over the holidays.

• Options
    DT - On the WFH plus home schooling - I feel your pain. I work with schools (which are all still open, educating f2f the children of critical workers/ vulnerable pupils, as well as providing remote learning) and the stress on parents is immense. That said, the bond of partnership between schools and parents (we have stakeholder surveys) has never been stronger - small silver lining.

In the before-times I would run every day at 6am. That is now completely unthinkable!

Just back from the physio, where I had acupuncture for the first time to target the piriformis that was, post-run, clamping down on my sciatic nerve and producing weird instability and pain. 6cm needle in the, erm, extreme lower back, was a strange way to start my Wednesday!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Crikey I don't envy that Dom, let's hope it works.
    Congrats VT, especially on the mileage target which is exactly 25 miles more than me- almost a marathon!
    I got some birthday shoes delivered today which has  cheered me up somewhat. 
    Sorry for the suffering of all those with kids, I really do worry about the long term effects on their education. My youngest is starting a lab based PhD which will also get off to a bad start.

• Options
    You need to get those dirty OO. My eyes hurt! 

Double run yesterday for the first time since injury. On the treadmill in the morning then tempo lite in the evening (I'm not even up to MP yet). Trying to figure out if it's actually illegal to exercise outdoors twice in one day or not. Not that I'm ready for outdoor running at 6am just yet, it's a tad too cold!
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Cracking new trotters, OO. I love the Zoom Flys. I have two of the older models which I was saving for races. However, with no races and after seeing yours, I'm using them for quicker sessions so that they can wear out and I can buy a new style pair of those bad boys for London in October. So thanks for that!

I wouldn't worry about the double sessions, SG. You won't be in contact with anyone. If challenged, just say your taking the extra slot from someone who is on a rest day.

7 miles at lunchtime today. Glutes not firing and couldn't really get going. Still, that will come, just got to keep at it. Alcohol and meat free for the last few days and already 2 pounds lighter since New Years Day.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

OO, they look beautiful!! Are they zoom fly? They don't look stacked enough.

Speedy, I believe going out twice is now sadly, however I'll be doing it, once for my run then an evening stroll with the kids!!

Dom, I like a bit of acupuncture, though when they twirl the needle and the muscle contracts it can be a bit uncomfortable. If my kids were probably just 2 years older this would be less problematic.

VT- solid 2020 mileage there. Similar for me weight wise. I weighted at 10,9 just before xmas kicked in and weighed yesterday at 10,11 so nothing major and 8lb lighter than I entered January last year.

It'll drop off quickly enough, gdawg!

Nice early 12 Gul.

So further to yesterdays dramas (thanks for your supportive comments) today has fallen into place. My wife's employer (Lloyds banking) have told her (and others in similar positions) to take on no new projects and just do what they have to on existing projects inc delegating out if things kick off, until the kids go back. Then we got offered a place in school 3 days a week for my son as my wife is classed as critical worker, but based on what her employer has now said we have turned that down, particularly given how smoothly today has gone.

So, I therefore got out for an interval session over lunchtime, though in my despair last night I drank a bottle of wine so wasn't feeling great! Anyway, 6 x 1m off 1 min went ridiculously well. Plan was to start at hm effort then progress to 10k later on if feeling good. I thought I was set myself up for problems when the first one came in at 6mm, however it felt right as did HR. The session just kept belting along then with 6.01, 5.54, , 6.01, 5.52 and 5.55. It was almost bizarre! I had felt like I had lost some sharpness since my half a few weeks ago but that was probably my best mile reps session ever. Shame I had that wine last night!!

• Options
    Maybe the wine helped DT? Maybe that's the secret weapon!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Good news DT, a very progressive employer.

Yes zoomfly 3s, other colours are available.

8 miles  today, and looking like another decent mileage week...
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Yeah, we're gonna need those wine details, DT, seems you've stumbled across something here... Cabernet Speedalong, Malbreak PB, Chardin-a-hurry, Pinot Gris Lightning?
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Unless the regs are different this time, exercise only once per day is guidance rather than law in England, although I know the Welsh SI was different. If I can face ploughing through them I'll have a look, otherwise barrister Adam Wagner usually puts a good guide in layman's terms on twitter.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    DT - good news then, top session and boozing. No teaching still pissed though ! Horses for courses, ive done mp runs or sessions at 6am, i need to do them on empty and before a days work.

OO - how do they compare to the fly flynit (which i still have an unused pair off, as well as the original still in use).
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Dom - ouch, hope the acupuncture works.
    OO - those shoes should certainly brighten up your day.
    Speedy - it's not cold just bracing :) Nice double.
    GD - that's rapid weight loss.
    DT - pleased things are looking better :) Stonking interval session.
    Took a rest today. Hamstring has had a few twinges (mostly when lying in bed) the last week probably from lifting furniture and then bags of compost.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    TR, I also have flyknits. My 4th pair still in the box unused- probably the best all round shoe I've ever used and a bargain when I bought them for £90. As you know flyknits are no longer available and zoomfly 3 are the replacement. The upper and sole look very different to flyknit, but I haven't run in them yet so can't compare the performance. I was due a Birthday present and these looked reasonably priced. They have the carbon plate like flyknit. To be honest they may sit in the box for a while longer but I'll try them out for my next mara, whether a virtual or a real race.
    The only negatives I've heard on line is that they are quite heavy relative to Vaporfly etc, but then they are half the price. 

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

oo, I trust you received and used your Nike birthday 25% code?

Gul, lying in bed?!! I didn't realise you did that for long enough to do anything but sleep briefly!

TR- I just couldn't get out before 8am for anything but a slow plod, my brain would talk me out of it! I also really like having 8 hours sleep! The one positive with no school run is that our morning alarm is now 8am and not 7am as would usually be the case.

Top puns, G-dawg. It was sauvignon blanc but sadly I can't think of anything similar for that!

Ridiculously frosty and misty here today. Off out in a bit for a 4m recovery run.

• Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    I lurk fairly regularly over here, but just to chime in....

I quite like my Zoom Fly 3s, but they're difficult to run at an easy pace in, I find, and I know that's not what they're designed for.  I just find it really clunky at slower paces, but great to tick along at a decent clip in.  Strangely, in my Vaporflys Next%, which are obviously lighter, quicker and meant for racing, I can run easy in too.  Again, I know that's not what they're designed for, but it's just an observation, and I'm a bit confused about it why that would be.