Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks big G that's interesting. I'm planning to keep them for best, meaning just for racing, at least until their past their best.

10k beach run here at 7 min miles.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - well dont come on hear one evenng soon then moaning that you didnt get to run if you've been festering in yr bed til 8am. Thats 1/2 way thtough Guls morning, some days ill have walked the dog, ridden to work and been working for a while by then, or walked the dog and run to work Ha ha.

OO - cheers. So they're a flynit update. I only use mine for sessions so they last me ages as i dont do much of that. Ill kerp my eye out for a cheap pair sometime. Agreed on them being clunky at first at easy pace, but as above keep them for quicker stuff. As the plate wears they are probably ok for normal running though..
  • To be fair 8am is a long lie in. I get up at 6 most days. 

I had to go out in the car this morning. It was minus 5 and I had 27 heart attacks sliding down my hill, so I'm not sure why I thought it would be perfectly fine to go out and do my fartlek session this evening. I made it 0.1 miles before retreating to the treadmill. The ice had slightly melted at some point during the day, but then froze again, and at minus 3 this evening it was pretty slippery. So 9 miles with 3 x 1 mile around MP and 3 x 800m around HMP on the dreadmill, annoying the neighbours. At my current fitness level the 800s felt like sprints. 

Since I was in no danger of slipping or getting them dirty on the treadmill, I finally decided to try out the Saucony Endorphin Pro that I got just before I broke my ankle. They're a little snug. I certainly wouldn't want to wear them for a marathon. Thinner socks and very short toenails and they'll be good for 5k though.
  • DT - had another lie-in till 6am this morning and still got 8 hours sleep ;)
    Big_G - do de-lurk more frequently!
    OO - nippy beach in more ways than one, I imagine.
    TR - my family keep talking about getting a dog but I reckon it's me who would end up doing the morning walk :(
    Speedy - sounds treacherous. For once, the dreadmill is a good option.
    Took another rest day to be on the safe side.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A steady 6 miles for me this morning after a rest day.  Thankfully the freezing fog which stuck around all of yesterday had finally gone, so although there were a few icy patches, things were fairly safe underfoot.

Blimey, you early birds are proud of yourselves.  I'm usually up at 6am, too, but I don't like it, and it goes against my natural body clock at this time of year, even with a sunrise alarm clock.  I may be out of bed, but I never feel awake until about 7.30 or 8am!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Some refreshing honesty, Jools!!

I simply couldn't do it, I'd rather go out at 8pm! 

Big g, I purchased some new bikes for general miles and was about to buy the zoom fly until my mate talked me out of it so stuck with the epic react infinity. 

Probably a wise decision, speedy! You don't want another breaksge. 

I'm due to do 10m with an 8m tempo soon, but it snowed overnight and we keep having showers as well as being zero c. So on basis I did 8m at mp last Saturday and a decent mile reps session, i dont fancy taking my chances so I'm just going to wrap up and head out for an easy 10.

Day off work today to celebrate becoming a v45. Suddenly I have 5 minutes extra gfa grace for London and Berlin becomes a much more achievable 2.55. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Yep, I hear ya, Jools. I've been really good throughout the late spring and summer at getting out early and doing up to 10 miles before work but since the cold, dark mornings kicked in, I really can't get motivated to get out, especially with no races to focus on. I've been doing lunchtimes instead.

Glute defo on the mend so will rest and stretch today (done that bit already) and continue the slow build-up with 12 easy ones tomorrow.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2021
    Happy Birthday DT, i hope you enjoy a nice bottle of wine

Jools made me laugh, id much rather be running mid morning in the daylight in 20 degrees than run commutes in the dark, wet or ice. But needs must.

Defo Gul, youd win that job as youre the first up. I get the evening shift somedays too, but i wouldn't be without her, she is my number 1 girl (as my wife points out).
  • Oh, I don't LIKE being up at 6am, but I start work at 8. I'm still asleep until my third cup of coffee. When I train before work it's easy on the spin bike or treadmill only. In warm weather I dare say I would venture outside for an easy run at 6am but I'm not 100% sure. I can't pick my feet up properly at that hour and I'd probably fall over a curb! 

Active rest day today, so just a slow spin out on the bike before work and some core work crammed into my lunch break (I only get 45 mins).  Looking forward to an evening of... actually I don't even know. I might watch a film or something. 
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    OO54, they're great shoes I think.  I'd get another pair, anyway.

DT, I think for easy/general miles, that's probably a better choice.  Happy birthday.

Gul Darr, I do enjoy all the training talk a lot, but I don't follow a plan really, so sometimes don't have much to contribute in that regard.  Also, with a 3:19 PB I'm not quite there, but I do feel I've got a faster time in me on the right day (with the wind behind me....).
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Big g, many here dont flollow a bespoke plan. You'd get more out of active discussion here than lurking. My pb used yo be 3.18. It's there for all of us. 

Supposed to do 8m tempo today but it was icey etc so decided for safety yo just fo 10.5m easy, being the wu and cd also. However 1.5m in it was clear it was more than safe. I wasnt really dressed for tempo with gloves  hat underlayer and non tempo shoes.  But I progressed it slowly. The 10m came in 6.52mm and the last 8 averaged 6.36 so nice trot without going mad, then a 0.5m cd. 
  • Tempo this morning, 12.5km (8.something miles) as fast I as I could manage... which was only just faster than MP. Not sure I could have faced it in the freezing dark pre-7am.

My sciatic/ piriformis update: modified pidgeon stretch is doing wonders for post-run pain & instability.

It's a tough time of year/ history, but here's a reason to smile - today we had 8 hours of daylight for the first time since Dec 2nd  :)
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Quiet weekend here?

Easy 15m today which came out a surprisingly quick 7.38mm for 141 bpm. I was holding myself back pace wise as well. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I've had a heavy week. 64 miles, running every day and 3 sessions. Today was 14 on tired legs. Easy one tomorrow. 
     Good news on the stretch Dom. I do like a good stretch for my dodgy hips.
  • 56 miles for me. Still less than I used to do in a cut back week, but hey ho, I'm getting there. 12 progressive today, with a 2 mile cool down tagged on the end because I live at the top of a massive hill and I didn't fancy trying to do the pacey bit on it. It was meant to be 4 @ 7.40, 4 @ 7.30, 4 @ 7.20. The first 4 were about right but I was checking my watch every five seconds, the next three were only a tiny bit too fast, mile 8 I clearly lost the plot and was quite a bit too fast, then the last 4 just got quicker until I ended up at 6.55. Still all slower than I used to run for a whole marathon of course, but progress is progress. Mind you, I did feel like I was sprinting in the last mile. Best thing - no ice!!!! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Much quicker than I managed Speedy, well done 👍
  • Ended up taking 4 rest days, so no running at the weekend. 10 steady miles this morning. Catch-up later :)
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    DT, yeah, I've definitely got a faster time in me but I've got other running goals as well, not necessarily related to PBs.  If lockdown (and time off when injured last year) has taught me anything, it's that I just enjoy running for its own sake.  I do enjoy racing too - I do a fair number of events usually - but I can't say I've massively missed it, which has really surprised me.  I think it's the travelling aspect of races that I've really missed, but the lack of races hasn't reduced my inclination to get out there and just run.

10 miles this morning, rest day (from running) yesterday, 14.5 on Saturday and 10 on Friday so I've started the year off reasonably well and into a bit of a groove with it.  Probably it'll be 13ish tomorrow.  I'm currently running two days in a row and having a rest day (from running) to try and curtail what can happen where I end up running every day.  I'm still a bit wary of an achilles issue I had last year so taking it more steady than I was in the summer.  But I'm Zwifting quite a bit, which I'm really enjoying too and is a new thing for me.
  • DT - nice tempo run and MLR. Hope you had a good birthday.
    TR - yes, I love the summer when I can get out into the countryside, but not sure about preferring 20 degrees.
    Speedy - coming along nicely. I certainly wouldn't recommend running into a curb.
    Big G - as you may have gathered, I'm not following a plan at the moment. It's a good sign when you just love to go out and run for its own sake and hopefully you'll not find yourself lacking motivation. Sounds sensible to take that 1 in 3 rest day.
    Dom - hurray for the extra daylight :)
    OO - good week.
    I got rid of 4 pairs of running shoes this morning. Two pairs had clocked up 12xx miles each, but the other 2 didn't even manage 1,000 - shocking :) I have one new pair in reserve, but might need to re-stock soon.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Some great miles going in, well done, Team.
    Sorry DT, looks like I missed the birthday comment last week, hope you had a good one.

Saturday mud trails was fun, 13 miles and the hip/glute was OK. A bit stiff yesterday but managed an easy 5 miler as some sort of recovery.

Son's birthday weekend (actual day is today) so feeling fat again after a big roast yesterday and too much cake.

A bit milder this week, that should help with the mojo and getting out the door.
  • And so it begins, the first race postponement email of 2021 has arrived! No surprise, since it was supposed to be on Valentine's Day. It's gone back to November. Let's hope there's no third wave then!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The Blaydon race has just gone too Speedy 😪
  • GD - good muddy miles :)
    Peddar's way ultra was postponed, but I couldn't enter anyway because you need to have a race of at least mara distance in the last 12 months - they may have to relax that rule.
    7 miles with strides this morning.
  • OO54, what? That's not until June! The 9th o' Joon should surely be ok???

Gul, surely they have to change that to just proving from your Strava (or similar) that you've run that far. If VMLM are accepting virtual race times for GFA then anything is possible!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nope, they've said that the  9th June Blaydon race is cancelled. They may do later in the year but no date set.
    I've got a couple of races before then, also rolled over from last year but it starts to look doubtful if any of these will happen.
  • My March half marathon is already postponed from March 2020 and then from November 2020. So I'm expecting another postponement to clash with my rescheduled (I think also twice) 10k!

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

The problem is of course is that for a spring/early summer race, now is when the organisers have to begin work, applying for licences, rd closures etc so instead of taking a punt they are just knocking on the head.

I have the Dorney mara Easter weekend and beginning to wonder if that will happen, even though they delivered several Covid safe races last year. After that, i've London booked and Derby 10m that was cancelled last year, in mid November. They feel more likely what with the promise of vaccines for all by Autumn.

You should return the ones that didn't make 1k, Gul. Daylight robbery on you!!

Easy start to the week yesterday. Off out lunchtime for some intervals.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    Ive already had races rolled over from last yr rolled over to 2022. Vaccinations will hit 3 million very soon and the aim is all over 50s by May, thats 32 million people. By then there will be a push to open up sports and the outdoors, esp as the weather improves. We miight still nerd covid safe races like Dorney for a while, vut i can see those race types coming back in the Spring although Apr 3rd might be too soo. I still have around another 6 rolled over marathons scheduled for the rest of the year ! Ill do whichever ones survive.

The Wrexham elite and Olympic trials might the the first to go ahead.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    It's almost a shame Dorney isn't a few weeks later as I think things will progress pretty quickly into April. Problem will be if it cancels is that it'll be tricky to find something else before Autumn without really risking warm weather. 

I've got a Berlin place if I want it from last year but I'm steering clear of foreign running trips and I'll focus on London a week later. Of course there's NY mara as well but think I'll opt for 2022. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Agreed. They could postpone to May or June. I couldnt do the December Goodwood due to my CV19, so took a july place (as i have dorney in april), as you say it might be warm but its a 9am start and you can take a bottle of water off the table every lap if you want, and can use it for cooling head etc. July might have less chance of 40mph winds too, although December was a still day (sods law).