Sub 3h15

Comments

• MsE - glad the foot isn't as bad as you feared. A bit of rest might do it good still. Take care.
    Jools - been rather windy here too off and on.
    GD - 17 miles in your lunch break is impressive. I set off at 4:30 and still only had time for 16 :)
    DT - another very strong session. Enjoy the long one.
    16 slow/easy/steady miles this morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Very much a cut back week here but snuck out for my 3.3 mile virtual race this morning. Ran out a 19:27 with 5:56 average pace- a course PB from 4 attempts. Thanks to fresh legs no doubt.

Big miles there G Dawg and good pacing on your LSR 👍
  • Great pace, OO!

Another windy run here, so my mile reps were not great: 6.45; 6.59: 6.38; 7.01; 6.42. I'm sure the effort level was right, but mother nature ensured the effort was not rewarded with a fast pace! 11 miles in total.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Not bad if you were running solo Jools. That's a long hard sesh...
  • I definitely could have done with someone to drag me along, OO.  But windy conditions are my least favourite: I just don't have the power to work well against the added resistance.  It looks like slightly better weather tomorrow, at least: 10mph instead of 20mph :smile:
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    GD - nicely done on 17.

DT -
    that is a great alternating tempo effort. Where you constantly checking your watch or did you try to gauge it by feel?

OO
    - congrats! That is a great time.  Will there be many others looking to beat you?

Well done on 16 miles Gul. Don't neglect the foot exercises....

Jools - excellent efforts in the wind. Also hate wind. Give me a hill over wind anytime.

Well, I sensibly decided to rest today after hammering my foot yesterday... It was a bit sore so the physio had a look with his ultrasound and it turns out the swollen cuboid is due to synovitis (ie an inflamed joint) between the cuboid and 5th metatarsal. Five days rest from running (ie Zwift cycling) and then hope to gently resume activity.  No break thankfully and a reminder to (a) get rid of the orthotics I was using to alleviate the pain from plantar fasciitis that I had been dealing with since May 2020, and (b) take it easy.
  • The wind dropped significantly here this morning, although the gusts were still fierce, and in the unhelpful direction. 7 miles of hilly tempo (7.09s) followed by 7 x 70 second hills with 'quick jog back recovery' for a total of 12 miles. I'm not a fan of the 'f all recoveries' I have to say! The wind seems to be back this evening with a vengeance, so that could make my 15 miler interesting in the morning. My longest run since injury.

MsE, have you ever considered just chopping your feet off? They seem to give you so much grief. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Better to take it easy MsE than the Speedy option 🤣 Lucky that you like your bike and cross training to keep you busy next week👍
    The competition fell away in this week's race. With 1 race to go I'm pretty much guaranteed to finish 2nd overall and 1st Vet. 

Planning 13 tomorrow for a cut back 40 week.
    Good luck with the 15 Speedy, I'm sure you smash it.
  • OO - well done on the PB - that's a great pace and looking good as 1st place Vet.
    Jools - great effort. Enjoy the light breeze today :)
    MsE - sounds like a bit of rest will sort out your foot - that's good news. Had you still been using the orthotics?
    Speedy - a tough session there, so a combination of tired legs and gales will not make your 15 miler too easy. 
    6 mile recovery run (including picking up some marmalade from the in-law's doorstep) this morning to make 75 for the week. Had a bit of time to look at the polar website and found a ridiculous report - running index, which grades each run on an index and gives you an estimated finish time for various race distances. The other day the wrist HRM obviously wasn't working too well and gave silly readings - on the report I was on for 2 world and 2 UK records :) 
  • Don't be so modest, Gul, you are an excellent runner, and Polar knows it  ;)

19 @ 7.59m/m on a dull but mostly flat route for me to bring up 61M for the week.  My biggest since lockdown 1!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, great run, well done on the 2nd (and v victory).

MsE, glad to hear the foot isn't as bad as thought. I found the slower miles needed more attention as I felt I was shuffling along but kept finding myself at 6.20s. The faster reps I could just tell by form and effort I was shifting. 

Gul, beyond hr and pace you these stats are all pinch of salt stuff. I've just had 2-3 of my best weeks training ever and my garmin keeps switching from recovery to unproductive. Every run I do after about 3 mins it gives me a condition score of -4 or thereabouts. 

Jools, decent 19m. 

20m for me today at 7.39mm. Started slow then pushed on through half way. Also 61m week for me. 

Bit of a taper week this week as Friday is 10k timetrial day. Probably good timing as I've done 5 or 6 decent weeks now. 

Should get an idea tomorrow night where things are all heading, generally more than running. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    You're on great form DT 👍
    Great mileage Jools. 15 for me today and 44 for the week.
  • I all been a long time since I last posted on here , good to see the usual suspects  are cracking on in my absence. 
    Reading back a little very sorry to hear about your mum (((Mse)))  , my own mum passed away  last year in late September (dementia) which wasn't unexpected then my wife's brother had a heart attack and died ( 55 ) a month later so I can imagine how you are feeling at the minute.
    No running for 6 months now just walking at the minute and by some unlucky coincidence its a  foot injury on the ball of my foot  is holding me back from making a start , its been there months now though and not improving so might just start anyway .Don't even remember injuring it but that's getting older for you !!!!!!!!!
  • Jools - solid long run and nice mileage.
    DT - will be interesting to see how the time trial goes.
    OO - nice cut back week.
    Leslie - good to hear from you. You don't seem to have much luck with injuries. Hope you can get running again soon.
    10 slow miles to start the week.
  • You're up late Gul - slacking?  ;)

Good running recorded by many over the weekend.
    I jogged 2 miles. First time in a year.  Felt like a bigger journey than the Mars lander
  • Poacher! That's great. Well done :) My 10 miler did include a visit to the supermarket. Even got to run the last 3 miles in daylight.
  • OK I will let you off just this once. No more lie ins though.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Congrats on the 1st run Poacher- any mileage better than none. Are you planning to do more?
    You too Lesley, great to hear from you and sorry about the foot injury- go easy on that run.

You seem to enjoy combining errands with your run Gul 😉

• Well with 2 miles under the belt I can afford to start tapering for VLM. Or is that not how it works?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good to hear from you, Leslie. I m sorry t hear about your recent losses and foot issues.

Nice start to the week, Gul.

You got to start somewhere, Paocher.

So Government announcement later and media are saying 29th March for outdoor grassroot sports and gathering of 6 etc, which is pretty much where we were in the Autumn when Covid safe racing happened. The organiser of Dorney mara has already said this morning as that stands he intends for the race to happen. The one sticking point maybe that overnight stays in hotels aren't allowed so i'll have a 100m drive for a 9am mara. Hoping they perhaps look at that issue if it does happen and delay the start by an hour or so.

• Poacher - let the taper madness commence  :smiley:
  • Poacher - better than overtraining ;)
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sounds like you're in fine form, Poacher. You never lose it! Erm, were those two miles at tempo or LSR? :D 

Nipped out for a steady 9 at lunchtime. 7.05 pace for the whole thing and finally feel like I'm running with some flow and purpose. Looking forward to see what the March miles do to me, the base build is coming along nicely. Will be copying a few DT quick sessions, that's for sure, but not at his insane pace!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    Blimey Leslie, thats been a tough time. Life is tough at times.

DT - sounds hopeful. We'll see what sport england flow down. Travel might be the sticking point. If we are forced to stay local i can switch to Goodwood. Ive driven the 100m to vlm, similar to Yeovil and 80ish to Abo on race day and its been fine as the roads are quiet, so it wont affect yr race if you travel on the day

Dawg - im interested to see gow fast you go when you start cranking it up, given you're operaring at close to mp regularly in base.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited February 2021
    GD - nice pace for a steady run :)
    11 easy miles with strides this morning.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Some nice long runs going on. I've thrown myself into Zwift cycling and think I have pulled a bottom muscle already sprinting along the Champs-Elysees. I am not saddle fit and need to remember it when I hurtle along in this imaginary world. 

Hope to be running again soon but realised I should have ditched the orthotics a while ago when my plantar fasciitis stopped feeling sore. Lesson learnt.

Very exciting to think racing might be back on this year, logistics permitting. There are some great gains evidenced here and it would be really nice to see you all reap the rewards.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    TR, me too! Currently doing campaign volume, around 45 miles per week. The idea is to make that feel normal so when June comes along a 16 week campaign going between 50 and 60 miles per week with the usual session variations should see me find the speed required to beat the 3.01 PB and go 2.59.

Great stuff MsE. Would be good to hear of you out running again soon. I’ve run down the Champs-Elysees when I did the Paris marathon in 2013. It was my first marathon after having my hip reshaped in 2011. An amazing operation that has allowed me to have some great running adventures. 

8 slow miles on tough muddy, windy trails today.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Ouch that sounds painful MsE.
    Well I took the plunge today and booked hotels and flights for Berlin in September 🤞
  • That Champs Elysees sprint is like the world champs for those guys, great entertainment. Hope you didn't try the superman position.

OO is this your first Berlin mara? It's the fastest course around.

Leslie, that's tough, good luck.

2 more miles for me yesterday @8.45 including some walking. The knee wasn't too happy. Can't imagine ever running 'properly' again but a jog/walk thing could be a possibility.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, think I'll bin off my Berlin place. Id like to have a proper crack at London the week later and also I'd like my first crack at Berlin to be off a good for age place. 

You'll  be surprised what will come back to you, poacher. 

Sharpener session today of 10 x 2 mins off 1 min. Legs felt a touch heavy, but with a pretty easy few days into Friday they should feel good by then.