Sub 3h15

Comments

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Hope things ease off, Gul.

G-dawg- That sounds fun!! You did well to hold it all together and hit he paces though.

Nice little session today, 12k alternating between HMP and mp, 6 of each. A bit more volume than my usual Tuesday session but pretty much hit all the paces. Average pace for the 12k was 6.15mm and 158 bpm.

I did this session on 02 Feb but at 10k. That came out 6.22mm for 158bpm. Same HR, 7s per mile quicker and 2k further run on same course, just added on an extra loop which worked well as each inner loop is 1.25m.

I had a new garmin vo2 high of 64 come up at the end.

There was an interesting discussion last night on the sub 3 FB page and the effect of weight loss. General though was for a marathon, each lb lighter is a minute off your mara time, assuming same degree of fitness. I have a reasonable interest in  the topic. In my last weigh in before London 19, before my carb load I was 11,3. Today I was 10,6 so i'm some 10lb lighter and still chipping away. I ran 2.57 that day, so according to this I should run 2.47, not even taking into account greater fitness.

Anyway...2 more long runs and 2 more sessions left. I just need Dorney to move from provisional green light to full green light.

I've also invested in some new running shorts. My current race shorts are proper short ones and my half in December I experienced some mild chaffing by the end  which has played on my mind a bit. I decided to go top end and have spent £90 (Ninety pounds!) on a pair of Soar elite 2.0 half tights. I have justified it back the fact that my lads weekend in Edinburgh was obviously cancelled in Feb and that's usually a £600 weekend with accom, match tickets, beer etc.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Nice session, DT. I don't have anything like 10lb to lose, so I'll have to get faster the hard way...
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Thanks.....I didn't think I did either. My wife isn't happy as I am only 2lb heavier than she is now!
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    We don't have scales, but my best guess is I'm about 7st 7lb in old money.  I'm not sure quite how grim I'd look at 6st 11lb, but I'm very sure I don't want to know!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    How tall are you?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    Lazily just checked BMI on the NHS webpage rather than a DIY calculation, and it said BMI is 19.3, and minimum weight is 7st 3lb.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    You are sounding like Gul doing all those errands Jools 😆
    Hope it works Gul can't beat a rest day now and then.
    GD I'm a big fan of bran flakes but usually at 10pm so I can digest before the next run. If you are gonna late night snack I figure it might as well be something healthy.
    8 today with 12*400 at tempo pace.
  • I operate in kg, not stones and lbs. I am currently 4kg heavier than my best race weight, which must be around 8lb. However most of it is muscle that I gained during the lay-off when I was strength training every day. I dare say I could spare some of it. My running buddy keeps pointing out how big and muscular my quads are. I suppose you don't see many elite women with massive quads. 

Monster day for me today. 5 miles slow on the treadmill before work as usual, but tonight was 8 x 1km (90 secs rest) 500m (2 mins rest). 12km of effort, all faster than the pace I ran for my 5k time trial (although that was hilly). With WU, CD and recoveries I covered over 13.5 miles, so 18.5 miles for the day with a full day's work in the middle. Will I even be able to move tomorrow?!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Impressive workload Speedy and interesting to hear about your weight gain. I lost about 3 kilos once I retired, better diet and the swimming helped. I thought I might struggle when the pools  closed but so far I'm stable around 11st 9.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A steady 11 for me today.  Although the weather wasn't great, the 20mph winds we have today are nicer than the 40mph ones which are forecast for tomorrow (which is going to be my rest day as a result).  I did some strength work with my sports masseuse over Zoom as well, so the rest day is well-timed.

Kudos for the amount of faster running and strength stuff you're doing, Speedy.  I'm just glad to be able to do 60mpw and 1 faster session at the moment after years of the body breaking down.  Although - thinking about it - even at my fittest, and doing 70mpw, I could never manage more than 3 faster sessions per fortnight, so perhaps I'm just a little weakling!
  • I didn't used to be able to do it either Jools, but when I couldn't run I did 8 weeks of strength training for 40 - 90 minutes 6 days a week. I have muscles I didn't have before! My legs aren't even sore after yesterday, although I will admit to being ravenously hungry.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It's great to see things going well for you. Although I'd like to get faster than I am now, I'm definitely not as ambitious as I was.  I can remember how much work it took over the years to get to 2.49 and I'm not sure I'm prepared to do all that again, let alone the regular doubles and strength sessions you put in, so fair play. Plus I'd have to quit music to free up more time, and that's never going to happen!
  • To be fair Jools, I literally have nothing else to do other than work, and I'm WFH so I have more time on my hands!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - LOL. Well done completing that 10 miler. I have to resist the temptation to eat cereals in the evening or else it ends in near disaster!
    Jools - impressive combination of running and chores ;)
    DT - that's quite a big drop in weight. Hope those tights are worth it. Are they lighter than your shorts?!
    Jools - you've picked a good day for a rest. It's blowing a hooley here. Sounds like you're already around the right weight.
    OO - nice tempo reps.
    Speedy - that's an impressive day. I could probably do with some strength training, but I can't get interested in it 
    Aches and pains seem to have gone and I was in two minds whether or not to have a short run this morning, but the wind tipped the balance. So one more rest day it is.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It was very pleasant lying in bed, feeling all warm and cosy, and listening to the wind wuthering outside.  But Saturday's forecast is pretty bad, too, so I won't be able to avoid a resistance workout at some point this week...!

Glad the aches are settling, Gul.  An extra rest day is probably a smart move to make sure things are really settled, in any event.
  • GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Speedy - you have gone full on beast mode! It's good that you took something positive away from your spell on the side-line. I wish I wasn't so lazy but I just can't seem to get my a$$ in gear to do anything other than run.

Jools - I loathe the wind. I like your planning. 

OO - You are tall and a lean athlete even if you do like cake.  :)

DT - You are in excellent shape. I hope you can race soon. 

G -Dawg  - Man you are buzzing at the mo and I'm really impressed with the paces you are running for your medium long ones. Hope you can get a race in soon too.

Gul - No harm done and your body will thank you.

Birch - Lovely to hear from you and glad your "boy is doing well". He's a fine athlete, takes after someone we all know on here  :)

It's been quite cold here of late but it's nice having the brighter evenings as I don't like running when it's dark. I am so looking forward to Spring. It's felt like a particularly long winter this one. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - runbritain update, theres guidance expected w/c 22nd March, points to a deferral for me as thats getting a bit late for Easter.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yes seen that. My argument is that both April dates rise and fall on the same guidance. Therefore 25th April achieves no more than 4th April, except that those about to start their taper will be forced into a kind of no man's land of having to abandon taper and keep going towards a date that presents no greater chance of racing. For me they just as well leave the original date stand and let peoples natural cycle unfold as opposed drag them back in to end up with same outcome. I could understand deferring if the reserve date was subject to different guidance, but it's the same problem. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    DT - fully agreed, otherwise we'd be looking at after 17th May. They might go with the original date and offer the Essex date or a refund as an alternative? To those that dont want to risk a taper yet.......i dont mind a deferral as it'll free up easter family wise, but on the other hand i need a taper.......it might be as simple as run britain just not getting moving quickly enough and everything will get the go ahead, but them having no urgency to get to it.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - are you in the sub-tropics ;) still dark here in the evenings :) Not long till spring ..
    DT / TR - a bit of certainty would be nice, and in good time, rather than it still being all up in the air.
    4 easy miles today and no drama (or shopping).
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It was a stinker of a day here yesterday weather wise so settled for a nice easy run.
     If our local track opens on 29th March I'm considering another track marathon- just a slow one to see where I'm at. There is also an XC relay race in April (3k per leg). I've been selected for the B team which suits me as no pressure. 

It's very annoying how quick you are off so little training Gerard 😉

Glad you had a pain free run Gul even if lacking the thrill of an  errand.....
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Good news, Gul.

A steady 6 miles for me.  It wasn't the best, as my legs are a bit heavy and the weather still isn't great, but it's done!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021

Speedy, that was a pretty big day there.

Thanks, Gerard. I'm itching to get racing! The last year just seems to have been one long continuation of nothing, so i'll be glad when everthing moves on!

OO- Not sure i'd be up for that I must say!

Gul, good that there were no issues.

TR- I suspect they are going to bat the problem off into the long grass and move it to reserve date, even though in essence it achieves absolutely nothing. The problem with marathons, many want a definite plan weeks in advance and if they just say today they are going to hold off until the guidance is received there'll be some level of FB mob out to get them, even though the alternative solution is in fact counter productive as it means they will have to break their plan, continue training as opposed tapering, all for the same decision. I'm eyeing up Peterborough mara which is 23rd May as that's after the next phase. 

Got up and out just after 8 for 5m recovery following an easy 8m yesterday and a 12m MLR on Wednesday. Have moved my long run to tomorrow this week to free up Mothers day. That's a pretty meaty long run though with 2 x 6m at mara pace. Looks set to be windy for it.

• DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, Dorney update is they believe very strongly it'll be able to take place so say it's crack on as you were and we'll see what comes wc 22nd March. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Noted. Doesnt answer the minimise travel point still though. Basically a we are still on for now......makes no difference for the next week, but next weekend I'll need to decide if im going to taper or go to Goodwood instead......easier said for me though as im not as invested training wise as you are, you and your coach are targetting Easter saturday and are aiming at a peak. I keep doing more or less the same until i decide to taper. We'll see if its any clearer this time next week re the travel......rules are changing in wales and you are encouraged to stay local which is within 5m of home unless you live rurally, yet from monday than can get a haircut......
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Good to see you posting on here again, GM. Looking forward to hearing about your spring running capers.

Hope the races sort themselves out for DT and TR

Work flex hours meant I could get my longer run started at lunchtime today. Made the mistake of cutting across a couple of trails in my road shoes which saw my slipping all over the shop but was soon on safe tarmac. 

A flash hail storm made things interesting in the middle but overall it was a good mixed pace session that I just ran on feel so can’t really call it a LSR. Came out at 17 miles with a 7.36 average.

I know it’s not as disciplined as it should be but I’m not in campaign and I genuinely thought it was slower.

The great news is with just a recovery run tomorrow, I can enjoy a glass or two of wine tonight with the chilli, lovely!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

TR, yes, continued variations on the scientists advising each country!

There were a few whinges from people who wanted certainty and it's not fair etc and that it should be postponed until after the 17th May but thankfully ATW events s fairly well populated with more experienced runners as opposed to fun runners so they largely received short shrift. The obvious point was that if they organise it for the 23rd May, you still don't get any certainty until the last 10 days or so that the Govt are going to move us to stage 3 so in essence you don 't actually fix the issue.

G-dawg, nice to get the long run bagged. Friday is usually beer night for me but not this week.

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited March 2021
    DT - im pleased you can crack on, agreed it'd be uncertain if it was late April or May. I have a Goodwood entry, so ill do one or the other....or both.

Good for you Dawg. I have a few frothies on a Friday night and then do my long run saturday and have a few more saturday, but im used to it. I even have a few the night before a 1/2 mara or shorter. My 21m inc 10mp was a bit tough last saturday, but i was blaming the breeze.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Vicariously enjoying your mileage on here. Finding it hard this week. Mum's funeral on Wednesday has totally drained me. In a bid to cheer myself up I have gone and purchased this using mum's legacy. Meet Terry (named after mum) everyone. Isn't she beautiful? She will help me stay fit without battering my legs to death the way I am inclined to. I may even contemplate duathlons...