Sub 3h15

Comments

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    TOO MUCH DETAIL!!
  • Nah, not enough detail. Runners always talk about poop. It's important!
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    I was going to say that I should stop digging myself a hole...   :)
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Going to be a long day...
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Belated happy birthdays to Gul and Poacher. Hope you celebrated well!

Low profile here as I sulk on the bench waiting for the healing vibes to do their thing. Ribs are always slow progress but it seems there's some pulled abs and whatever sits under the ribs to the side that have been pulled/torn.

I thought back to the tumble and realised why the damage is worse than other times I've hurt ribs. I had sweat in my eyes and was clearing them, didn't spot a tree root, kicked it with my left foot, fell forward and twisted to avoid the fall, things popped on my right side, landed on my left but then remember rolling and also impacting the right side as that's the side I was lying on when the action was over.

Even walking the dog was painful last week but things are certainly on the mend and I'll be targeting a run in the next couple of days, but then, I'll listen to MsE and give it in extra day or two as I know that's the right thing to do, so hopefully a cheeky 3 or 5 miler on Saturday if things continue to improve.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    At least there was no hat involved ...
  • Was it Matchstick Man with the hat?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, lovely run based anecdote there and such detail!

Happy birthday Poacher, Gul and thread! The age cat move will at least make a London GFA easier again for you.

Hope the return to running proceeds to plan, MsE. I'm sure the bike work will have kept you in good shape.

Fingers crossed for your swift recovery, gdawg.

Decent session on the 8 x 1k Jools, I did exactly the same today.

SBD, another decent week there, getting some consistency now.

I signed off April at 128m so pretty low, but it was all about recovery really.

Long run sunday of 12.5m so building that back up.

Decent session lunchtime today of 8 x 1k off 90s slow jog. Reps came in 3.33, 3.33, 3.29, 3.28, 3.32, 3.28, 3.26 and 3.36 giving me bang on 10k in 38.48 which is decent with 10 minutes of plodding. I was a bit annoyed by the last rep, however I was leaving my loop and it was entirely directly into the wind whereas the others had enjoyed a bit of everything. Decent sharpener for my 10k in 16d days though.

Few easy days now and then a 6m tempo on Friday. Weight is a few lb over peak weight but I think it's still a good enough race weight even if I don't drill it back down before the 10k, though I hope to.

• It's clearly the day for 8 x 1k. Mine was 4 x (1k @ 10k pace, 90 secs, 1k @ HM pace, lap jog). It's very hard to run HM pace on the track. It feels ludicrously slow! It was also raining so hard that my paces washed off my arm (I'd written them on there in pen) and I couldn't really see my watch either, so it was a surprise that they pretty much all came out 2 seconds too fast. I was supposed to do 3.54 and 4.00, but did 3.52 and 3.58 (except for the first HM rep, which was 4.02). 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    GD - hope you heal and recover well.
    DT & Speedy - good reps. Looking forward to doing some faster stuff eventually.
    So today I will keep to the stats according to my watch. 10 miles in 1:24:10, AVG HR 147, ascent 149ft, descent 220ft. No further comment :)
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good luck for the 10k DT I'm sure you're gonna fly. I've got a 3k track race in 12 days. It's been 20 months since the last one when I broke the 10 minutes barrier. Not expecting to be anywhere near that but anything around 10:15 would be a good return.

Great to get back to your morning long run reports Gul, it's been a real miss 😇

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Love how we are heading into even more detail there Gul 😂 Sounds like you had a thoroughly enjoyable day.

Good to hear the steadiness persists Jools. Baking the metaphorical cake before you ice it (remember those conversations we used to have?)

50 glorious minutes on the trails today. On my feet. Both of them. With a friend. Yipppppeeeee! 🥳
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good for you MsE I can imagine how good that felt 👍
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Poacher said:
    do you make your own kombucha?
    (looks guiltily at kombucha making kit given by MrE for birthday).

No.

Without a doubt the best kombucha is GT's from California. Nothing made here even touches that sublimeness.
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Do you notice a tangible health benefit from kombucha?
    I just got a fermentation crock to make sauerkraut, kimchi etc, but fermented things are an acquired taste I think.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Poacher said:
    Do you notice a tangible health benefit from kombucha?
    I just got a fermentation crock to make sauerkraut, kimchi etc, but fermented things are an acquired taste I think.
    Difficult to say as I have drunk kombucha since discovering how lovely it was when I lived in California. I grew up on probiotics in HK; Asia is well tuned into the health benefits of fermented food, so I ate plenty of kimchi and pickles throughout my childhood. As my kids have been raised in the West, they don't like it. I had a phase of drinking kefir but can't stomach large quantities of dairy produce (I was raised on soya milk not dairy). I think if you can get a variety of fermented stuff in, then it is definitely worth it as the research is unequivocal about the health benefits. Drinking it will be easier than eating it, especially if it is a taste to be developed. GT's is delish but I have to order it from Planet Organic in London (darling!)  As I don't drink alcohol, I feel I can justify it!
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    Interesting. Fermentation is so unfamiliar in Europe. I did find a recipe for sauerkraut baked into a sponge cake (WTF?) but that sounds quite hardcore.
    Next experiment: kimchi.   Getting children hooked on kimchi would be a challenge!
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Poacher said:
    Interesting. Fermentation is so unfamiliar in Europe. I did find a recipe for sauerkraut baked into a sponge cake (WTF?) but that sounds quite hardcore.
    Next experiment: kimchi.   Getting children hooked on kimchi would be a challenge!
    WTF indeed 🤢 As an aside, the gut is increasingly understood to be the second brain. In fact serotonin is produced in the gut! So keeping it healthy is a great thing to do for physical and psychological wellbeing.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I hope we can count beer as a fermented drink, and that makes me very healthy as I drink plenty 😛
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - enjoy your tempo run - not sure, but I think I am currently in your neck of the woods for a few days. I booked tickets to the Malvern show last year for Mrs GD who loves her gardening but of course it was cancelled. No show again this year but we had booked a cottage so making the most of it now restrictions have eased.
    MsE / Poacher - I just had some sourdough bread for breakfast; does that count?
    No running for a few days for me but off out for a walk in the Malverns shortly.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Gul, yes same County so not too far away. Get yourself up the Beacon today as with the blue skies you'll have fantastic views and it isn't too challenging a climb. As for tomorrow, just don't get up in the morning!

Easy 5m yesterday and looking forward to a sunny tempo a little later.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hope you are holding up ok Gul and the no running is just being cautious/busy.
    Your comment made me chuckle OO.
    You've recovered really quickly from your marathon DT. Enjoy the tempo.
    Another 50 min run with some hill reps in there to get my cadence going a bit quicker again. Amazing how fast they stop turning over when you have a break. #midlifemoments
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭

Good to see things coming back to you, MsE.

Decent 10k over lunch at mara pace/effort. Progressed things along in second half for splits of 6.24, 6.24, 6.26, 6.22, 6.15 and 6.14 for 39.27 overall.  Nice to be back doing these again.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    DT - tidy tempo run. We did walk up the beacon yesterday, but Herefordshire not Worcestershire. It was a beautiful clear day and the views were stunning. A washout today as you said, but might go out for a walk later.
    MsE  - nice hill work; pleased it's going well. No problems here, just making the most of the time away with Mrs GD.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great to see you back in the thick of it, MsE.
    Nice session there, DT. I’m looking forward to getting some quick stuff done again.
    You’re in a lovely area, Gul. Hope you’re enjoying it.

Couldn’t wait any longer, not run for exactly 2 weeks. Popped out for an easy 4 miler to test the ribs. All good, a small amount of discomfort but not proper pain. I think there’s a pull in one of my abs but everything feels like it’s on the mend.

I’ve run over 40 miles each week since the start of the year, had 2 weeks off with this injury and it feels like I’ve lost all that fitness and put on about a stone. I’m sure the form will soon return now that the systems have been fired up again.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg said:
    Great to see you back in the thick of it, MsE.
    Nice session there, DT. I’m looking forward to getting some quick stuff done again.
    You’re in a lovely area, Gul. Hope you’re enjoying it.

Couldn’t wait any longer, not run for exactly 2 weeks. Popped out for an easy 4 miler to test the ribs. All good, a small amount of discomfort but not proper pain. I think there’s a pull in one of my abs but everything feels like it’s on the mend.

I’ve run over 40 miles each week since the start of the year, had 2 weeks off with this injury and it feels like I’ve lost all that fitness and put on about a stone. I’m sure the form will soon return now that the systems have been fired up again.
    Good to see you back on Strava. Perception exacerbates the feeling of having lost all fitness gains. As someone who has had to come back to it four times after pregnancy and numerous times after injury I can attest to this. It is true you lose it quicker than it takes to develop it and you can quickly get it back (but not by forcing it to return). I am doing research at the moment on this concept that runners intuitively embrace, by recognising that we can't push beyond the natural order but have to accept where we are in life/fitness, embracing the negatives and the positives. The Taoist concept is called wu wei and Edward Slingerland explains it nicely in his Ted Talk here.

Easy 45 mins on the 'mill to round off a 20 mile week. I'll add another 50 or so miles on the bike tomorrow.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Good to hear you are running again, MsE. 

Glad the test run was ok, GD. Keep on keeping it easy for a bit!

9 and then my first vaccine for me.  AZ. At the moment just a sore arm, but going to take things very easy for the next few days just in case my immune system struggles a bit.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It'll probs hit you in a few hours Jools and your bed will become very appealing.
    Well done Gul and MsE both off the bench 🤞
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    16 slow ones this morning for a 66 week and passing 1000 for year to date. And nice weather for once ☀️
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It hit at 9pm: chills, shivers and temperature shot up. I feel a lot better now, although a bit rough - doubtless at least in part due to poor sleep last night. Anyhow, it meant I decided there was little to gain from an easy run today, so the mother of all cut back weeks: 36 in total!