Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    Don't worry, no stress :) I patiently waited in line and chatted to someone called Dave. Just felt it for those still queueing when I left. Back at the hotel now playing spot the non marathon runner. Only need to pin the bibs on now and get some sleep :).  Hope everyone has a great race and does the best they can on the day. Miss GD the younger is catching the train down in the morning so will be a family meet up after the race - probably won't make it to Chandos unfortunately. Hope there is plenty to celebrate!!!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Best of luck Gul. Post your time so we can toast your success 👍
  • Options
    GM - check out the Over 60's Training thread :)
    OO - thanks. Will do.
    All bibbed up and ready to go :)
  • Options
    Good luck sub-3h15'rs!!  B)
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    So chandos is me, oo and gdawg with lorenzo to follow. 

My hotel wanted £50 for a late check out at 4pm. Clearly don't want people checking out late. 

Just finishing dinner opposite the Chandos. Going for my customary walk to the bottom of the Mall to view the finish area. Then hotel to hopefully have a peaceful night's sleep....
  • Options
    My coach has organised a space in All Bar One on Regents Street for post race drinks so I probably won't make Chandos. Anyone is welcome to join if you are carrying on the beers.

I look forward to seeing how everyone gets on!
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Thanks Gul. I’m hoping you have a brilliant experience and everyone else too. 
  • Options
    Thanks GM. I'm certainly enjoying breakfast :)  Looks calm and dry outside (and dark). See the rest of you London racers shortly!
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Somehow knew you'd be up first this morning Gul 😉
  • Options
    Good luck to all. Just about to set off with MrsL 

Hopefully see you in Chandos although I'll be running there from Canary Wharf and won't set off until MrsL has gone past so being realistic I guess I'm not going to be there until about 3.30/4.00pm. Will people still be there then?
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    All was going to plan and then I felt dreadful all of a sudden, slowed down and felt like I was going to faint so decided to call it a day at mile 18, I think. Feel okay now. But absolutely gutted.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear that Gul sometimes it's just not your day 
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    A sensible decision, Gul.  I did wonder what had happened, as there were no updates on the tracker.  Glad to hear you feel ok now.  You'll be back, and it's never worth taking any risks in those situations.
  • Options
    Anyone in Chandos now? Was just there but couldn’t spot any familiar faces.
  • Options
    That's a shame Speedy. Looks like quite a few people had something to celebrate :). I understand some folks (including me) had family to meet up with and couldn't make it.
    Good to meet up with SBD and OO in the assembly area (totally bonkers arrangement - can't see any reason for asking us to arrive so early). I have to a photo share...
  • Options
    My splits were looking quite consistent after the first mile, around 7:00/m, until halfway. Then I did 3 @7:15/m. Remember struggling a bit on the "uphill" sections. I then felt a bit faint and slowed down a bit more, hoping it would pass, but around 18 miles I felt like I was going to pass out and that's when I called it a day. Really upset, but a no-brainer. Later checking my watch stats, my heart rate had plummeted from 170 to 120 for those last 2 miles. At least I am pretty much okay now, which is the main thing.
    Look forward to hearing some race reports!
  • Options
    Oh and how could I forget! Saw Lorenzo with the BHF crew and gave him a high five. Highlight of the race!
  • Options
    PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    (((Gul))) so sorry to hear this. You deserved better luck. Look after yourself and be proud of what you have achieved. 
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Thanks Poacher. It does feel a little bit like 11.5 years training for nothing LOL.
    I have a brain like a sieve today (I blame whatever made me feel rubbish). I also saw Stevie. Good spot mate as you sped past me :)
  • Options
    Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Nearly back in Norfolk now. Then I will feel "normal for Norfolk", as they say round these parts :)
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Gutted for you, Gul. Just glad you're OK. Echo Poacher, you certainly desrves better.

Great to meet up in Chandos with OO, DT, and OO's mate who is a champion fella.

Happy, well no, ecstatic to report a sub-3 effort of 2.59.18. Can't quite get over it to be honest. It was hard work throughout but totally over the moon.

Report to follow as I need to talk about how painful things got, but for now. More beers!! 😎🍺
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Sorry to hear you had to DNF Gul - it's a brave decision to take so you shouldn't feel bad.  Good to feel you're feeling OK now and good to meet you at the start area.

Brilliant work G-D - a thoroughly deserved Sub 3 and well paced.  It doesn't get better so enjoy the beers!

Lots of good times and performance today but I won't comment until people have posted.

Good to catch up with DT at the finish.

A good day for me - 2:48:36 - probably overcooked the first half a little and struggled with cramps over the last 6 miles but happy with the final time.  A few beers required for me as well!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, really sorry to hear that. The marathon is a cruel distance. You deserved much more from the day. 

Sbd, phenomenal performance, absolutely inspirational for someone in mid forties to look at and have hope that there's many good years to come. You must have placed really high in your age cat? Good to see you at finish, hope you enjoyed the family meal. 

Gdawg, great to see you and oo in the pub. Delighted you've got your sub 3. Now the monkey is off your back onwards and upwards. 

I also had a good day out. The first 7 or so miles were a nightmare due to a pen 2 Start. It settled a bit then but it wasn't until about 18m I really found my equivalents. Half way in 1.25.10, felt like I'd overcooked it but I naturally flicked the switch and ran a 1.21.58 second half to finish in 2.47.08 for a nearly 5 minute pb from Dorney in April. 

Full report to follow in the week. 
  • Options
    GerardMGerardM ✭✭✭
    Gul - I was tracking you and got worried when your splits stopped. Absolutely correct decision but very disappointing for you after all your great training, 

Well done everyone today, some cracking performances. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Lovely to meet you Gul and so sorry to hear that didn't end well. I hope you come back for another go 🤞
    Great performances today especially the Dawg who sneaked under 3 hours- so pleased for you.
    My time was 3:00:08. Couldn't quite pick up the pace the way I did last week but still a good effort. Still a negative split though. 

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Chandos chaps...
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Some fine middle aged athletes there!! 
  • Options
    BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭

Gul – Sorry to read about your woes – great that you met some threadies

GD – Huge congrats on the hard thought sub 3

SBD – WOW brilliant time Sir! Well done and I hope you enjoyed the beers

DT – Holy good feck that’s fantastic! You have just beaten my best by 11 seconds. Huge respect

OO – Ouch, what an annoying time to record but well run – Great pic

I reported recently that I had run 100 marathons but two of those have been rejected by the 100 Marathon club for recognition. They were Last One Standing events and although I ran 142 miles in 34 hours it doesn’t count as a Marathon because you stop and start every hour. Silly rules in my view, but rules are rules. 

So I was back to 98 marathons according to the club but ran my 99th today. I tried to run a sub 3 at Belfast, but struggled through an undulating second half and finished in 3:00:38. Boo hoo, and only my 24th best Marathon time, but fastest since 2018. :) 

Anyway, I’ve booked tomorrow off work so have been drinking at the computer tonight. I’ve just entered a 24 hr race in two week time. I fancy a wee 100 mile run for my (new) official 100th marathon! Madbark lives! :)

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I feel your pain Badbark on the sub 3 near miss 😪
  • Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    That is very close, Madbark, both to sub 3 and the 100 club...!  Most people drunk-shop, but you drunk-race-enter.  Classy.