Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    12 miles yesterday and then 90 minutes in the gym this morning.  The last 60 minutes I took advantage of the video screen on the cross-trainer to watch some of the men's marathon from the Olympics which I slept through when it was live, despite my best intentions to stay awake.  No audio, as I couldn't be bothered to Bluetooth my headphones away from my phone, so I had a soul classics soundtrack.  I'd recommend it.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited October 2021
    Good to see you back running regularly and a reasonable distance Jools.  I think I'd need the commentary rather than the soul music.

That's a good track session G-D.  What races have you got planned?

A good tun of speed at the park run Speedy.  I was interesting in trying the Metaspeed Sky/Edge but can't decide if I'm a cadence or stride runner!

Sounds like you're in a reasonable place running wise MsE.  If you can do the two speed sessions per week, you're doing well.  Tokyo in February 2022 should be amazing.  How did you managed to get a place?

Good to see you back in almost full training mode TR.

Hope you're enjoying those early morning daylight runs Gul.

The right leg has been feeling a bit awkward all week but managed a 11m progressive run on Friday with the last kilometre at 6:10/m and 7.5m easy miles yesterday with some uphill strides.  First time I've tried the strides on an uphill but this seemed to work well.  Avoided the rain and strong winds early morning and headed out for the long run at 2:30pm.  Conditions surprisingly good with blue skies and the wind, whilst still quite strong, mainly blowing from side to side.  Legs feeling quite energetic from the off and gradually increased the pace to cover the 18 miles at an average 7:28/m.  Right leg felt back to normal as well.

73 miles for the week and 285 for October.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Only 113 miles this month for me. The lowest ever monthly total since I started using garmin. It turns out my manflu was actually covid which cost me a full week of training and I still have no energy to run or swim. Still, at least I'm out of self isolation, the week long headache has passed and the slow comeback begins. Mrs OO also caught it so I'm looking after her for the next week or so.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well done Jools, thats a good weekend.

SBD - thats a strong week and month esp given vlm.

Those metaspeed sky are well reviewd, i still dont see the magic in the Next%, but to be fair to the shoes a 90sec -ve split at vlm must be some part down to the shoes, esp on a day when lots of the pros said about how windy and slow it got later on (although maybe they should try running marathons round Goodwood). The problem with the sky is that they are low (5mm), so for me youd have to run in them regularly to condition your legs or bring in some other low drop shoe to train in........on inside running Jess Stenson who recently ran 2.25 in Perth said she thought training in supershoes caused her some injuries, and are best used rarely.

16m yday for a 64m week made up of 6 runs, also did 2 sessions of turbo intervals.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Been reading all week but little posting time. 

Oo, hope you are both OK. 

Sbd, that's a great month off London. Your comment re Tokyo sparked my interest. I remember a while ago looking at majors gfa times and writing Tokoyo off as being unobtainable. I think then I'd just run a 2.59 so it really was, though  suddenly at 2.47 it isn't out of the question!

I'm about 67th on great Bentley list so hope is nominal. I'll enter Wokingham just because it fits well with Manchester anyway and looks a good fast race. Fact it's a qualifier is a bonus. 

Gdawg, what racing is planned?

Tr,  that groin/pubis pain, I user to get really sore with until I had to take time out with stress fracture.  Since that break and doing s and c stuff it's gone. 

Just finishing off 11 days in lanzarote. I've run 6 times with a 12m and 10m mid afternoon run in 25c us sunshine. Also done some really good 6m tempos in the heat. Hit 140m for September which given London recovery and holiday is decent. Derby 10m two weeks today where sub 60 is the target. 
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    SBD Tokyo was offered as my friend was registered with the marathon tour operator. It is not a cheap race therefore but I am seeing it as a touristy thing spending time with a good friend, with a race attached. I'm going in March 2022 GDawg.

Speedy the Skys are the ones I wear most as the toe box is nice and roomy. Plus I love a zero drop shoe so at 5mm they are the best option of all the magic shoes. I would not be able to wear the Nike ones. As for cost, they are a lot but after the thousands invested on repairing my ankles, I am not taking any chances with shoes that compromise on how I use these feet. I also have a pair of Asics metaracers which are really comfy plus cheaper as the carbon is only in the forefoot. 

DT Gwaaann. You know you want to.

Easy 7 before work today around my usual urban loop which has some undulations. Av 7:35min/mi.

Current view....
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sounds like a great time, DT. I've been to Lanzarote years ago. Had a nice short morning pre-breakfast run from Playa Blanca to Marina Rubicon.

Got a 13 done over the weekend. Five of us met in the pouring rain to do some canal towpaths and pavement miles. We all scored marathon PBs in London and Manchester, great to share experiences again.

I still need to sort out my hamstrings as they still hurt but only when I run, I'm wondering if my poor seating position (feet on desk at times) when working from home is extending them for too long. Changing that this week.

I'm tracking the weather for the next couple of weeks and if the wind isn't blowing hard, I'll nip over to Dorney Lake and bag a 10km PB at an event there. PB is officially 40.25 set four years ago but I beat that twice in the recent half marathon PB, so it should be a formality and a nice morning out at a shorter distance.

I too am planning on Wokingham half next February as it's 5 weeks from Manchester. A week later is the Surrey Half which is on my doorstep but it's too close to Manchester and I hear Wokingham is faster.
  • MsE - hope you have a great time in Tokyo. The pup is looking very cute.
    Jools  - is that the men's Olympic marathon or the soul classics that you are recommending?!
    SBD - great miles for October even not considering that includes London + recovery.
    OO  - sorry to hear about the COVID. Hope Mrs OO is okay and you both recovery quickly.
    TR - very solid week.
    DT - decent holiday running in the heat.
    GD  - sounds like a good get together for a run with your friends. Hope the weather is kind and you can bag a PB.
    Another busy weekend - met up with with some friends on Saturday for a "Safari" round a relatively new local wildlife reserve and a meal out which was very nice. No running though, so a paltry 79 miles for October :(    4 miles with 4 x 800m efforts this morning and planning an easy 2 mile out and back to the bank at lunchtime.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    OO - sorry to hear that, good that you are fouble jabbed though, most runners seem to bounce back quickly if they are double jabbed. Time flies as it was in our household last year on firework night.

MsE- f you are used to low drop shoes then hopefully you'll be ok, but back off the supershoes in training if you get issues.

DT - sounds familiar, ive had it for ages on and off. I also had PF badly n 2016 so stopped running from the summer until the new year, gradually increased to short running, so lost a year and the OP was still slightly there, sorted the PF though. So i agree, its the management and S and C type work that help. I darnt stop running again as it took me a couple of years to get back towards where i was last time.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Thanks TR that's good to know. With just under 5 weeks until Valencia I'm not going to beat myself up about scoring another sub 3. I'm sure I'll have a much better idea in 2-3 weeks but it's Boston next Sring which is my main focus. Your sub 2:55 is magnificent in my book, I'll never get near that 👍
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Ouch Ouch on the sub3 thread caught CV the weekend before vlm, he had a ropey few days, but bounced back to run 2.51 at Newport 3 wks after vlm, he was probably in sub 250 shape for vlm. Ran conservatively at Newport and coped well, hopefully you'll bounce back similarly.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Bad news on the Covid OO but good that you're just about over it.  Best wishes to your wife for a speedy recovery.  Any thoughts on where you caught it?  As TR said, plenty of time to get in to shape for Valencia.  So have you got a place at Boston in Spring 2022?

Good efforts in the easy run Gul. Are you planning on running the local parkrun?

Good work on the 13 miler G-D.  The 10K is looking very soft.  A windless day at Dorney should work well.

Looks like a threadfest at Wokingham HM.  Given there is an England vest at stake, I'll be abandoning the usual MP approach and going for the PB.

Those easy miles look relatively pacey MsE.  It can be quite hard to get even a Tour Operator place for Tokyo - so well done.  Is that with Sports Tours International?   What's your plan to cope with the jet lag?

Sounds like some good warm weather training DT.   I exchanged emails with the England Master's Organiser about Bentley HM.  He said they may try and organise another qualifying HM.   A Sub 2:45 would be a nice way to qualify for Tokyo.  I'll be at Derby 10 but 61 minutes is probably the best I could hope for on a good day.

7.5 recovery miles early evening with some S&C.  I've been looking at some of the weight training programmes for runners - quite tempted to give it a go over the winter.
  • MsE - sorry I didn't catch your post in time to reply. I wasn't around to join you as I was up at my sister's but ended up going out for very pleasant short run in the rain with my 16 year old niece before an 8.30am game of badminton!! Definitely up for a run some time, so message me if you're around this coming Sunday.

Speedy - impressive parkrunning there. I'm a long way off 19 mins at the mo. 

G-Dawg - which stretch of canal did you do? 

OO - will this be your first Boston? I didn't have the greatest run out there, but it's a fantastic experience and well worth tagging on a few days before or after to enjoy the city. Don't know if you're a baseball fan, but even if you're not, it's worth a trip to see a game at Fenway Park. Hope MrsOO gets well soon.

DT - I've been enviously following your Lanzarote exploits on Strava / FB. Looks like you're having a great time.

SBD / G-Dawg - I'm also tempted by Wokingham. Ideal timing in the run up to the Manc marathon. Hoping to persuade MrsL to run it as well.

Mole Valley parkrun B course last Saturday for me. It was deliberately set at about 250m longer than the A course so no chance of a PB and the conditions (muddy uphill stretch, plenty of puddles) weren't conducive to a fast time either. If any of the SE-based crew fancy doing it on Saturday (and I can strongly recommend it), I'll be volunteering as I've got the Reigate relays in the afternoon.

Despite the taper leading up to the Yorkshire Marathon and a bit of post-race recovery, I still managed 168 miles in October. I'm currently at 1,997 for the year, so will hit the 2,000 mark when I head out tomorrow morning.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Great miles Lorenzo you are saving your best till last in 2021. No idea where I got the Covid although several of my neighbours have it- I think levels are high in this region.
    The gfa entries for Boston open next week and I'm well inside the qualification, but no place secured yet. I'd love to go sub 3 in Boston though I've heard it's a tough course. My wife is very cool about going for some reason. Not quite in the New York league I guess.
  • +1 for OP type pain. Usually ease up or take a few days rest when it flares up. One day I will get round to doing some S and C.
    SBD - if you have time for the weight training that sounds like a good idea. I hope I can get to do some parkruns, but just too busy at the moment :(
    Lorenzo - solid miles. Best of luck in the relays.
    OO - a sub 3 in Boston would be just great :)
    4 miles this morning with 3 around MP effort.
  • Sorry to hear about the Covid OO, but they are saying your immunity is better if you've had the actual virus. I can vouch, I sat in a tiny unventilated room for hours with my dad last November and didn't catch it again, having had it in March 2020. Or at least, if I did catch it, I had no symptoms. They hadn't started lateral flow tests yet back then, so it was just a case of 14 day isolation for being a close contact. 

I didn't know the Asics were only 5mm drop. I don't think I'd like that. And I definitely don't need a wide toe box. That's my main issue with Nike, too much space in the forefoot. Ah well, I'll stick with Adidas and Saucony then! 

Jealous of the Lanza trip. 

Wokingham sounds good, but it's a bit far for me to travel. Might be worth it though. I'll have to have a proper look later.

I waited for the monsoons to stop before heading out on Sunday for 10 miles. It was still blowing a gale so I went for my local hilly route rather than the river and canal. And I still got soaked because drivers are gits and they like to deliberately go through puddles and send a tidal wave over the footpath. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo, we did the canal from Woking through to Byfleet and then ran along they Wey for a bit.
    Well done of your annual miles. I won't hit 2000 until December.

Hope you're feeling OK OO.
    As mentioned, Boston is a great experience. It was the first of the US marathons for me, so we went as a family. Had a few days in New York first and then caught the train to Boston. The temperature for mine was well into the mid-twenties at the start, so no PB chances. Organiser emails were sent the night before warning us of the conditions.

Get plenty of descent training in as the first 4 miles are downhill and trash the legs before the Newton Hills at 20 miles.

On a regular run, Newtons, with Heartbreak Hill isn't that bad but after the descents, 20 miles and on that day, the heat, it was absolute carnage. Over 2500 people required medical attention, according to the news that night. Definitely a day for just getting round and grabbing the medal.

In a bid to strengthen my tight hamstrings, I tried some hill reps last night. Got 10 repeats done and bagged 7 miles. Lunges today seem OK, so I'll keep the hammy focus going for a while.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gul, nice work on the MP miles today. Sounds like life has taken over right now. Hope things settle for you.

OO, do you feel overly unwell with it?

Some decent miles in October there, Lorenzo.

MsE, lovely little puppy. Be good to hear more regularly from you. I certainly want to get to Tokyo and if I managed a sub 2.45 it presents quite a dilemma as I am committed to New York in 2023 and planning Berlin in 2022 (which is where I am most likely to run a sub 2.45 all things being equal to now). I get the impression Tokyo wants the qualifying time from a big event like Berlin as well and if I run sub 2.45 it maybe a short lived period of ability, but it's justifying the time and cost around NY also and normal family holidays.

SBD, I messaged EA about the race also, probably along the same lines as you. I did it via a contact form and never heard back. I might try an e-mail to add some more backing to the situation. I'll enter Wokingham later as I have fancied that for a while anyway and as I said above, it sits very well with Manchester.

I'll no doubt see you at Derby then. My pb is 63.11 for 10m so a complete disaster aside, I should at least walk away with that. In my half mara in May, I went through 10m in around 58.40 so would find myself a touch disappointed if I don't sub 60. Though off the back of London recovery and holiday I may not be at my best. I never seem to get to a 10m race at peak fitness.

G-dawg, good time to spend a period sorting out the weaknesses for sure. I need to pick the s and c stuff again now I am recovered from London and home from hol.

Lanza was a great break, got back late last night. I wasn't quite prepared for scraping ice off the car at 8.30 this morning for the school run!! P,eased with the running I managed there, more than I normally do. I think the furthest I have ever run there previously is 8m so to get a 10m and 12m in was pleasing as well as some tecent 6m tempos.

So I don't get it completely wrong at Derby, I am going to have a fitness tester at parkrun saturday morning, having not run one since December 2019 and my pb has recently turned 3 years old and is the only one that hasn't been set since I joined with Lewis. Obviously sub 18 is the ambition this year, but Saturday is a bit of a sighter ahead of another go maybe in 5 or 6 weeks.

First session of sorts pending over lunch of 20 x 400m just to get the legs moving again.
  • Those of you doing Derby, it's not really a PB course. Unless they've changed the route of course. It all seems great, then you turn a corner and suddenly you're on cobblestones and grass going through some kind of country park car park. I recall losing an entire minute on there because the cobbles were wet and treacherous. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Thanks GDawg I've heard similar stories about Boston. I have a friend, a very good fell runner couldn't crack sub 3 on that course.

DT it built up gradually until 6-7 days in. I was just so weak I spent a whole day in bed. Apart from being weak and tired the main symptom was a non-stop headache which lasted for a full week. Apparently headache is the no1 symptom for those who are double jabbed. 
    I also lost my appetite so I'm 3 kg lighter which is not good- I suspect its mainly muscle.
  • You can't lose 3kg of muscle in a week OO, don't worry. It will mostly be water. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sounds Pretty crap, OO. Im guessing though you wont need that 3rd booster jab now?

As per speedys, comment, i suspect much of it will be fluid.

Speedy, when did you last do Derby? I had been told by someone else that the part through Alveston country house (i think that's what it's called) was pretty hard work but rest is really fast and decent?

I did it in 2019 and due to flooding on course, ended up on the 7th version of the course which completely missed that part and was in fact reasonably flat and fast.

First proper session over lunch post mara, 20 x 400m off 30s. It started out being a mental challenge, thinking after 3 of them that there was still 17 left! Then latterly the 30s seemed to just get shorter and shorter with the last 5 being quite challenging. Reps all came in between 1.20 and 1.23 (one was 1.19) so quite pleased with that so soon after holiday. Suggests I can have a decent crack at sub 18 parkrun on Saturday.
  • I can't remember DT, but I have a feeling the dodgy bit was Elvaston, not Alvaston. It looks like it goes through both country parks this year. I totally lost my breathing rhythm on the cobbles and it took an age to get it back. It maybe wasn't as bad as I remember. Perhaps it's the opposite of rose tinted glasses!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Elvaston, that's the one. I think as long as it is dry in the build up (which it largely is forecast as) then it'll be OK. It'll take a lot for me to not pb simply because my current pb is significantly out of line with current fitness and even when set was not a particularly strong pb.

I'll have a look at 2019 results and then find someone on strava that ran it from the list to get a decent idea.

Can tell I haven't done mush session work in a bit, hamstrings and calf muscles have some mild doms in them after yesterday.

Out lunchtime for an easy 8m.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Remind me DT what is the race you are aiming at, besides a fast parkrun?
    I've had a couple of short swims and a club GP last night. Annoyingly the hip is still sore in spite of the rest. I did go quicker than expected at the GP though averaging 6:30 per mile over 3.5 miles. Well chuffed with that, gave me a real  boost. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That sounds very positive, OO. With another 5 weeks to Valencia, you should have a good run.

I am just tryng to mop up some poor pbs and run some times that were a few years ago merely aspirational. So parkrun this weekend in an attempt to go sub 18 (If I fail I can go again in 4-5 weeks), then Derby 10m to try and run sub 60 (pb 63.11) a week sunday, then if I come out of that OK and forecast is good, there is the Leicestershire 10k the following Sunday to try sub 37 (pb 37.11), then mid December a 5m race to try and run sub 30 (pb 30.59).

That'll give me a 7 distance, 7 pb year (though I have pb'd twice at 10k this year already they were just in gale force winds so don't feel i've had a fair crack) and have run all the threshold times this year that 2 years ago I thought would never happen.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I see DT yes definitely some low hanging fruit there so fill your boots. Only one pb for me this year. 17:20 in a 5k Road race, plus a couple of course PBs. I have gone sub 18 a total of 7 times though, across track, road and parkrun this year which is definitely a lifetime best. Unlike you my year is pretty much done and dusted which a relief to be honest. Apart from Valencia and regular parkruns I might be tempted by a 10k, but only if my form improves. 
    My top tip for the parkrun is to go out hard and hit your target pace from the off. Very hard to run down those seconds at the end if you are behind 👊
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Boston is only a tough course if you don't train for it OO - as long as the weather is not too bad and you give the course some respect a Sub 3 is possible.  Good work at the club GP.

No one told me about the cobblestones when I signed up to Derby 10!  I had been planning to wear the magic shoes in a PB attempt but now I'm not so sure!  Let me know if you get any more insights DT.

Good to see the speed is still there DT.  Would be good to see you smash the parkrun pb at the weekend.  I'd be happy with 18:30.

Good work on the MP miles Gul.

Good yearly mileage Lorenzo.  I struggle to get to my local Park Run (Black Park) so a trip to Mole Valley is unlikely!

11 miles general aerobic yesterday morning in crisp autumnal conditions.  Quite nice once I'd got over the shock of the colder conditions.  Sports massage in the afternoon.  Tempo planned for early evening.
  • SEdanSEdan ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg - sounds like you had a great track session. It's a nice feeling when you are in control and it comes together? Makes up for the 9 out of 10 other times it's a massive struggle. :)

MsE - sorry to hear about your losses. A proper crack at a marathon (and Tokyo no less??) seems like a good thing to focus on. Interesting you have been wearing the carbon shoes? I have still never tried any of these new fangled versions. I'm rocking the Brooks Ghosts at the moment. The last time I ran a marathon I wore the Adidas racing flats (but I forget what they are called).

OO - hope you get well after Covid illness.

On my side I have been making some steady progress. 155 miles in the last month, working up to 2 sessions (tempo intervals / 800s) + long run in the last 3 weeks. The training (combined with a bit of weight loss) is starting to pay off. I averaged around 7:25 per mile over 14min/10min tempo intervals today. The same effort last week was more like 7:50 per mile, and at 14min/8min session the week before was around 8:00 per mile. Starting to feel a bit lighter and bouncier on the feet. Strava thinks I have gone from fitness of "2" to "41" in the last month: :)

• VTrunnerVTrunner ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    MsE, cute puppy! My daughters would be very jealous to see (their Mom says no to a dog :( ).

OO, sorry to hear about the infection. Glad you are better and hope your wife fares well. Regarding Boston, beyond the downhills, you can never predict the weather. Typically it is hot (and no warm weather to acclimate in leading up to the event). That plays a big role. And those first downhill miles did me in too. I crested heartbreak feeling great in my lungs, but my legs just couldn't hit that normal gear from mile 20 on (which are flat/down). I'm thinking about possibly signing up too, but have really sworn off spring marathons as I prefer to race them and feel like Boston is a tough place to PR (or go close to PR speed). But therein lies the challenge and reward too ;-)

And for all of you worrying about low mileage in October, hard to beat mine (0 miles running). This plantar fasciitis is really a cruel bastard. But finally I think the acute phase is over and I'm starting to make progress.  Not sure if I mentioned this before, but some of the exercises I was doing to strengthen my glutes to help with the PF led to a second injury. I was doing single leg squats (leaning forward with one leg back on a bench). It led to my pubic bone going out of alignment. So lovely pain radiating out from pelvic floor to extensors. But that too is finally settling. Have been on the elliptical 9 out of the last 10 days and just moving again has helped me to progress. My big excitement is when I can grocery shop for food AND walk for 20 minutes with my daughter without a flare up of the PF. OK, enough complaining. I think I'll be testing some running in a week or two :). Fingers crossed.