Sub 3h15

Comments

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    London GFA window is open.
  • Glad to hear you still got your sub 60 DT! Also slightly relieved I hadn't imagined the difficult terrain!

I struggle to keep up on here now I'm back in the office most days. I'm not a fan. An hour and a half per day commuting seems such a pointless waste of time now I know that WFH is possible! 

I won the Notts Epic Trail 10k last weekend. It's a huge race with something like 2000 entries, but weirdly nobody decent runs it. I think there should have been a trophy but I didn't have time to hang around. Maybe it will turn up in the post at some point. Then this weekend was the seconds race in the North Mids XC league. We extended our lead in the team standings and I'm still well clear as first V40. Two more to go.... 
  • I'm with Speedy, going back into the office 3 days a week really eats into my time!

DT - Congratulations on the PB! You are having an excellent year and the hard work is certainly paying off! 
    Speedy - congratulations on the race win! Going well in the XC too
    OO - I hope the breathing sorts itself quickly and the family are all feeling ok now post Covid
    GD - Sounds like your having fun at the moment!

Starting to get into a good consistent routine now and ticking off some good sessions. Structured the week with 5 runs, a bodyweight glutes and core session, swim and a gym session. Joined a triathlon 'Swim Squad' for the swimming which has been tough! Will pay dividends though.

DT has reminded me that I havent ran a PB since 2019 at Telford 10k! Hopefully rectify that next month at Parkrun. Ran a good session of 8 x 1k of 60s recovery last night. Averaged 3.34 which I was really pleased about.
    Our club took a bit of a beasting at the first XC fixture on Saturday so I have commited to the final two races in Jan/Feb to try and help us stay in Div 1. Quite looking forward to them actually
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    Hopefully the breathing will resolve itself over next few weeks, oo. 

Tr, when I first joined my club I was chatting with someone and he told me that a sub 60, 10m was traditionally the benchmark of a good runner. That kind of stuck with me over the last 8 years and was something I really wanted to tick off. 

Sbd, I did wonder, based on my knowledge of where you are based, how far a trek Derby was for you. There was a decent quality field with about 45 runners going sub 60. Sounds like you made reasonable amends for it. 

Gdawg, sounds like a tough workout on Sunday. 

Congrats on the win, speedy. Fingers crossed you hold onto the v40 xc place as well. It definitely made for hard work in second half. 

I too am struggling with a 3 day a week office return, it just seems a waste of my time! However, 25% of our office are currently off this week with covid related matters so we have been told to all stay at home to work and the position will be reviewed Friday. For the love of God, this isn't going to improve in the depths of winter so just tell us to stay away until March is my view. It worked perfectly fine last winter! 

Decent session and paces, Stevie. My club did quite well in div 2 so clearly dont need me. I simply don't have time on  Saturday to drive to Stoke (which is where this fixture was) for a 2.40, 40 minute race. I'd be out from about 11.45 to gone 6pm. I'm at junior football usually until midday then there's kids homework, shopping etc. It's just not feasible for me. 

Easy 8m yesterday, bit of a session over lunch today. 

Submitted my London gfa application using my time from London so ought to be straightforward. Not heard anything back ftom my Berlin application yet. I assumed that prior to ballot etc closing they'd at least ratify my application as accepted. 
  • I'm pretty sure I last ran a PB in 2015...

11 miles yesterday and 30 minutes in the gym today.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes DT I could go sub 60 when I was a good runner 😆
    Swimming is my secret weapon Stevie so keep it up. I tried the tri club but bonked after a couple of weeks- it just stressed me out trying to keep up.
    Keep it up Jools....
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Got the GFA validation through today, we find out for sure on 2nd December.
    I need sub 3.15 as a v50, so by scoring in the 18-39 age bracket, I fancy my chances. 😀
    Power of 10 ranking has me at 168 for v50. Some will be ranked higher but achieved better times outside of the qualifying window while others won't even be bothered. I should be OK.

8 miles yesterday with some hill attacks and just 6 miles of easy trails today.
    A race number turned up in the post. It's tiny, one to be pinned to the shorts as it's a trail HM next Sunday. Should be a good laugh, so concentrating on some trail and hill stuff for now.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm yet to receive my validation through. Factor in also gdawg a few with champs times as well won't count in the numbers. 

Last time I didn't pb was a parkrun between Xmas and New year in 2019. 13 straight pb races over 2020-21. 

Lovely conditions for a blast over lunch in the lanes. 2 x 1m, 4 x 0.5 and 4 x 0.25. Hit all the paces and felt really fit and strong despite 4 pints and a curry last night with the footy. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    DT - I had a registration confirmation from Berlin straight away although it was a transferred entry so the application process was different
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - just sub 36 to go now. That's probably a bit tougher than sub 60, not sure.

I got the gfa email to register gfa submission, they wont divide up the slots until the window is closed?

Had a rubbish 3min session today, got a bit of a cold, was tired and achey. Starting to think my hammy/bum cake thing might be a bit pf like as i got the nerve type isdue where my leg tried to give way a couple of times. Av pace was poor. Its done, we move on.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Nothing for VLM but my Boston qualifying time has been validated.
    Agree sub 36 is probs more challenging. Basically 2*sub18 min 5ks which is a big ask.
    Take care TR hopefully just a bad sesh. I did track on Tuesday. Still rubbish but a slight improvement. My weight has never returned to pre Covid levels (still 2 kilos down). Just accepting it and ticking over with easy stuff.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sbd, I suspect as you are validating a carried over place it'll be more straightforward than my fresh application. 

Nothing from either still. 

Oo, I guess you've just given yourself some free reign over Christmas with the 2kg. 

Tr, take it easy, hopefully it was just a one off. 

I think sub 36 is a much bigger ask, particularly given my performances decline as the distance gets shorter and with that perspective from oo re x 2 sub 18 5k runs, mentally it sounds mental. I'd be pleased over current levels if I could run sub 36.30 on a good day. 

Off to spin shortly then an easy 5m over lunch. 
  • 6 miles with 8 sets of strides in lightweight trainers - first time I've run in lightweights and not regretted it since September!
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    S and C and the RoM within it are my current areas of interest in my quest to be ache and niggle free.

I had a vlm email, it badically says they have verified my submitted info, and i proceed into the next phase where places are located. As i suspected they arnt allocating places yet. But theres 3000 places accross 10 age bands and i cant see that many over 70s appyling, so im sure ill be find with a sub3. They might not even need to tighten times up this year.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    S&C for me as well TR. I really need to find the discipline to do the sessions regularly. 

Hope you're feeling better, OO  2kg  in the bank is nice to have with Christmas approaching. 

6 mile fartlek session this morning. No genuine pace shown. Really feels like my glutes aren't firing and the hamstrings are taking the load. 

Had the flu and booster jab cocktail today as well. Hopefully no side effects before hilly trails on Saturday. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's a cheeky little cocktail of narcotics there, gdawg. Hope it doesn't knock you about. 

Tim who runs runbritain posted on the sub 3 page the other day saying he'd had a run through of the numbers and even assuming everyone eligible applies it's difficult to see them filling 3000 places. There's no deferrals in there either. I guess what may skew Tim's analysis is those who attained a gfa in the virtual London ( that concept really needs to go after this year).

Spin first thing then 5m recovery run over lunch. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Can't see many runners capable of gfa doing a virtual. Unless to cheat of course 😉
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited November 2021
    They do have to back it up mind with a reasonable official half mara time, so yes, it probably wouldn't be significant numbers. 

Interestingly Boston have just announced that for first time since 2013 the gfa time won't be reduced and every applicant has a place. 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    Hope you don't mind me popping back in,I was here in 2020 and looking good for sub 3 and couldn't find a race,then got injured late last year and been on and off since,managed to get back to some sort of shape but only averaging 20odd m/w the last 6 months,managed a 3:16 in Barca last week so hoping for a good winters training to get back in to shape for Cyprus in March,then Boston in April.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Greatvto hear from you Ian...hope you enjoyed Barca👍
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, Ian. That's a good score in Barca after what sounds like a low volume campaign. A decent 16 week block will have you shooting down your targets.

Rest day today, sore arm and a bit hungover from the double vax cocktail yesterday. Paracetamol on the go.
  • 13 miles for me this morning.  My legs have let me know they are now a bit tired.  I suppose to be fair to them I've done 7 days straight either running or gym-based cardio, and that's the first time in a while!
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    OO-Yes I loved Barca,enjoy going the city anyway but the race was brilliant.
    Took last week off as I had a lot on in work and to recover and started again this week,2x7m runs,should be 8 tonight then 15 on Sunday.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Good going Jools. I'm also on a bit of a roll hoping for a 60 week albeit all easy. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Late decision to run Leicestershire 10k today. 36.14 for a 57s pb. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Yay, good for you DT. Sub 36 is very much on.

I had a crap day and tailed off to 1.24 on a windy day at Gosport, some of the underperformance was me being crap (although ive had a bit of a cold), some was the wind. My mood was then further improved by my wife telling me that the friend she was with Friday has tested positive, so as a household we have to run the cv gauntlet again, we are 1 wk away from booster jabs too.
  • Nice one, DT.  Agreed that sub-36 is there for you very soon!

14 miles for me early doors and then a 2 hour chamber music rehearsal.  Mr. Jools and I are playing in a concert together for the first time on Tuesday evening - it's only taken us 5 years to pluck up the courage!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Impressive all round talents Jools. 
    DT what a year you are having. I saw on strava and some great pacing 👍
    21 easy miles for me and a 65 week to round off Valencia training. The taper starts here....
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Belting time,well done as usual.
    OO-Good luck on the taper madness.
    Just under 14 today,legs felt a bit weary so kept it easy,36m this week is a decent start though.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    Welcome back Ian.  A good winter's training should see you in Sub 3 shape.  Is Cyprus a fast course?

You did well to get the 21 miler completed OO.  So 2 weeks to Valencia?

That's still a decent time for a windy day TR.

Excellent running and an impressive time DT.  

16 miles late afternoon in what felt more like winter conditions.  A bit of wind to contend with and the temperatures almost necessitating the gloves.  Set off a bit faster than planned so just kept the pace going to finish with an average 7:22/m.  Gives me 61 miles for the cut-back week with a CNBA day on Thursday.  Feeling sluggish rather than refreshed so almost tempted to have another easy week!