Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    WFH here too, Speedy. Handy for lunchtime running. Not sure when I'll get back into morning sessions again, maybe when the mornings are lighter.

Officially week one of the Manchester campaign, although I did hit 40 miles last week for the first time since before London.

Ran to the track last night, had the whole thing to myself, smashed out a pyramid session and ran home again to bag 10 miles for the night. That's 5 days in a row so I'll rest and work on the glutes for a couple of days and then a group run in the hills on Saturday followed by mince pies in the car park. Lovely!!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Had my booster yesterday afternoon, seem to have got away with it, just a slightly sore arm. 

Did spin first thing, out for 6m over lunch. 
  • Sorry only had time to skim read back over the last 6 or 7 pages! But must congratulate DT19 on 3 fabulous races and PBs - excellent work - and also Stevie on a very tidy parkrun PB.
    Jools  - sorry to hear of your decision, but it is understandable. Hopefully without the pressure you can just enjoy running for its own sake and break the cycle of injuries. 
    Been busy here and the small window of opportunity for running between 8 and 9 am has more or less been closed for the last 5 or 6 weeks. However I did manage to a combo-session today. With Christmas almost here, I delivered some cards on the run and ended at the supermarket for a haircut before continuing on home afterwards to make just over 6 miles. Maybe the New Year will bring more chances to get out and do some running. Take care everyone.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - bit early to be saying that, althougg you havnt had CV so might not get roughed up by the booster.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, 30 hours in and feel fine. Most I know who reacted did so pretty quickly. 

Gul, good to hear from you, I didnt  think you'd been absent that long. 

Long run tomorrow with some short mp sections as off out on my annual lads day out all day Saturday so Sunday is likely to be difficult! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    14 yesterday with 5m easy then 3 x 2m at mp. 

Met friend this morning at parkrun. Was meant to run 6m recovery so 2m wu, 1m cd and parkrun was close enough. Kept it at around nara pace and progressed gently so 6.20, 6.15, 6.13 and 6.06 for 19.37. 

Off out from lunchtime for Xmas drinks and will end when I end so rest day tomorrow. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Similar story here DT. I'm down in London and couldn't resist a blast round Greenwich Park on Friday. I was hoping for a fast parkrun at Southwark but the combo of still legs, poor warm up and starting on grass (a new covid distancing measure) added up to a poor 1st mile of 6:38 with a raft of peeps in front of me. Picked through the field to finish 14th in 19:22 which was very enjoyable trot but well down on my target. 

13 tomorrow for a humble 35 week.

Great to hear from you Gul- you've been a miss 😉
  • Thanks for the kind words all, and OO: don't be sad.  I had a fantastic streak of results from 2013-2015, and eked that out in terms of pretty good marathon times into 2016 and 2017.  I'm just ready for the next phase of running.  Today was a case in point: a 9 mile bimble, including the sort of technical descent I would have avoided when I was training 'properly' because I'd go so slowly it wouldn't be a good workout.  Retired Jools can take her own sweet time to tiptoe down hill.  A lovely run, although the views were a bit sh!te thanks to the thick fog!
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Jools I remember well your amazing streak when you were at the top of your game. I'm a big fan of slow running on enjoyable routes. I hope you'll will find in the course of time  a nice balance- that allows you at least some competitive running. Maybe in new fields outside marathon running.That raw talent will never desert you 😉
  • Boosted! Woke up at 5.30am with a 'hangover' but took painkillers and now I'm just a bit tired. My arm is sore, but not too bad. Have I escaped this time? HR same as usual, HRV plummeted during the night. Might take a rest day just to be on the safe side. 

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I like the slow running thing a couple of times per week as well. Early campaign trail LSRs are particularly slow and very technical. On Saturday 9 of us did a 13 miler but with over 1700 feet of elevation. I can feel it in my thighs today, so a good workout. 

I'm going to try and do my recovery runs like DT does, nice and slow (over 8.00m/m) as mine are a shade quicker, yesterday's was 7.4x and had to go down as easy pace. Trying too copy those more rapid than me.

Hope the booster effects are minimal, Speedy. One of our number on Saturday was suffering with armpit pain after her booster. Others have experienced that too, apparently, I'd never heard of it.
  • I'm dying again now. Just.... need... sleep. Feels like I've done a massive workout, have full body DOMS and a bit of a hangover. And my arm is really hurting now. So I'm in a grump! 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    CC - as you are someone who has has CV i thought your earlier post was a bit premature.

Dawg - 8.XX is the place to be. Pace control isnt just for race day. I can sometime spend  all of a 70 to 80m week at 8:XX or slower sometimes. I only go any quicker if its the odd session or effort section.
  • Speedy: Mr. Jools (medic) assures me that a reaction like that shows your body's immune system is kicking in and learning/re-learning how to attack Covid.  My booster is booked for 30th (earliest date I could get before they expanded the booster programme).  I was toying with moving it forward but not sure I can face sitting in an online queue for ages.  Plus we're at home for Xmas as Mr. J is on call all week so it's not like we'll be interacting with the world very much...!
  • It got worse! Chills and sweats and now the armpit thing. But my friend who had the booster at the same time, who also had CV (in fact he's the one who gave it to me) is absolutely fine. Git. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I had a bad reaction to the booster but only for a day. Take care- its a price worth paying 🤞

The pool is back open so my first swim in a while. Hopefully will help with weight control which has been a challenge lately.
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Just jumping in about the boosters, with my 'experiment of one'.  I had Covid at the start of October, fairly mildly.  I had the booster on Friday AM and was wiped out Saturday (hardly got out of bed all day), but was okay Sunday and did a couple of fairly easy Zwift rides, and then ran again Monday.  Saturday was almost like a compressed-timescale Covid as I had the same symptoms at times, but all in a day (a fever, banging headache, general aches, very tired) - but it was all pretty much gone the next day, with my RHR back to normal. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Exactly same here Big G. It was just like Covid.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the parkrun trot, oo. 

Gdawg, my view is, the fitness benefit of running 7.20mm v 8mm are nominal, but where that extra 40s per mile leave my body are in different places. I feel really good after an 8mm run, particularly the next day whilst 7.20 would just add some no man's land fatigue onto the fatigue already there. 

Speedy, hope you feel better soon. I definitely made of lucky out of it. We were due to go gor food with friends tonight who had theirs last night but they've been ill in bed all day. 

Session at lunchtime of 3k followed by 3 x 1k then 3k. Didn't fancy it at all as following Saturdays festivities which turned into a 14 hour bender (glad Xmas is just once a year) my voice is dead and feel groggy but pleased with paces of 11.02 for 3k then 3.32, 3.30 and 3.29 then 10.48.

The way Xmas falls I'm ending up with a completely undisrupted training week. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - you had CV so its not a surprise. My wife had CV quite badly and the jsbs flare her up quite a lot.

DT - are you in manc build up now ? I note sone structured sessions or are you building for domething else first? I expected you to have some downtime after yr recent racing?
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, my view is that training since mid September has been low key, it's just be bolstered with a few races so I've had my downtime, albeit after Fridays run there'll be 10 days of reduced training. 

I'm working towards Wokingham half end of February as my goal, manc half will just be a bolt on as I hadn't planned a spring mara, the London gfa window forced my hand. 

Up and out before 9am for a 10 miler easy, spin later. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    DT - that 10 day block is the sort of thing i was expecting. I forgot about Wokingham, so you'll train for that and then run manc of the wokingham build up, cant be long between the 2.......i note your out before 9am, i was doing my commute 10m in the dark in the farm lanes this morning and in the really exposed later miles it must have been minus a good few degrees, i could feel the old contract my arms and back in the really cold sections, roll on  light warmer mornings.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Alphaflys arrived today- the exchanged ones for a bigger size. Took them out for a 2 mile blast on hard sand. They feel very different to Vaporflys but bouncy and fast. Look forward to a parkrun and blast after Xmas. 
    Boston is my main goal in April. Pretty empty until then....🧐
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Oo, yes the alphafly really are noticeably different. As soon as I put mine on each time, even though I'm quite used to them, the difference still leaps out at me. 

Tr, I have 8 at mara pace Friday morning then it's all low key. Wokingham is 5 weeks before Manchester. Obviously we'll do the mara work but sessions will be more driven to peaking at Wokingham. 

I went out in shorts and a thin long sleeved top and very light gloves. Running at easy I was cold all the way but my hands were raw. Really underestimated the feel like temp in the Easterly wind. Looks set to be 11c tomorrow so back to just shorts and t shirt. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm running in 3 layers plus buff, gloves and hat. I'll be like that until April 😆
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I've grown to hate the majority of cold winter running, especially in the dark. Went out in a base-layer, t-shirt, gloves, buff, and shorts at lunchtime for some easy trails. Blooming freezing at first, ears nearly fell off!

I like the Wokingham focus, DT, makes me think...
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I had a helly base, long sleeved t shirt, shorts, hat and gloves, someone who lives a bit more urban sais it was -3, so colder out in the lanes.

DT - well to be fair, your training might be similar to normal mara then, ftom what youve done in the past. Tricky bit will be Wokingham taper and recovery during the normal mara peak weaks.

OO - Alphafly at parkrun must be a yellow card offence?

Im doing Goodwood 1/2 two weeks before Wokingham, no taper, with extra miles before and after. Im crap over a 1/2 in mara build up, so im not trying to go fast anymore.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'd prefer a race TR but nowt in the diary.  Something may turn up in the New Year.

• No frost here this morning, but wind and rain instead.  Just a 4 mile plod for me under my new "run how I feel" regime.