Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I was just coming in to give folk the nike heads up. Ridiculous price! The tempo training shoe is about £80 as well. 

I can't be doing with all the additional dressing and undressing of all those layers, plus the planning time thinking what I need to wear and then all the additional kit to wash! 

Tr, I've not done a half in build up to a mara for a good while so I'll just leave the planning to Lewis. 

10m and spin yesterday, spin first thing today, off out in a mo for 6m easy. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I can't justify buying any more shoes....
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I bought a pair 3 weeks for 162 as part of my birthday present off my wife. 

I've just added a student discount code my mate gave me and got them for £121. I'll just return the more expensive pair now, £40 back in the present pot. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I had the same idea DT but for me only £20 saving and I can't be arsed for that...🤫
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I did question myself, but £40 seemed a reasonable enough saving to justify the trip to the post office. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    I'll pass up on that im still not convinced by the vaporfly yet. I did 2.58 in my normal trainers in  a CV safe TT round a windy Goodwood in April, and went 4m 05s quicker at vlm in Next % with folks to run with and minimal wind......although to be fair vlm probably took a minute or 2 longer than it should due to the extra dsitance/weaving. Paced both similarly pushing on at 17m and had similar HR graphs.

DT - defo, you do what Lewis sets for sure. Im interested to see how he deals with the 1/2 taper and recovery.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Have you tried Alphaflys TR. Worth a pop at £130?
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Sadly, I had to send my Black Friday AFs back.  I felt the arch rubbing on my left foot and couldn't get rid of it and just felt it would be too risky in a marathon (I tried different socks, but no joy).  I don't have that issue with the VFs, so not sure what the problem was.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The alphafly are a very different beast to the next%. Almost worth buying at £130 to use for sessions to assist swift recovery. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    I have a pair of 4% back from when we bought them for 120 on black friday 2019. They have only been used for a 10k early 2020, when i went 36.30 in a training day of 3m, 10k, 8m. I did 10k 2 wks before vlm in my next% and did 37.20.......im going to do my February 10k and 1/2 in the 4% and then review. I also have a pair of endorphin speeds that are unused, so cold see if its worth getting some endorphin pro.....also got an used pair of flynit fly that can be used for sessions next yr, recently bought a new pair of Pegs and 1080s for next yr too (both under £80).

In other news my fitness is coming back and bit and the various niggles are settling a bit. 15 wks til Brighton, so 3 wks to bridge the small gap to decent length medium and long runs, and then 12 wks of decent niles (hopefully). Although having said that im on for 3300 for 2021.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Big G - 4% are cut away under the arch and you stand on the inatep material, but dont notice when you run. Maybe the alphafly are similar?
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I know what you mean big G I noticed that too.
    Great shoe collection there TR I'm rather well stocked up with new shoes too 🤫
    For me, gonna sneak over 2500 this year- a bit down on last year but with  nearly 100 miles of swimming I think it's a decent effort all round.
    Off to London tonight and planning to run Hilly Fields parkrun tomorrow with the full family.

Hope you all have a great Xmas 👍
  • Options
    All the shoe talk is even more over my head than ever now ;)
    I will just say that if I were to go out for a run, I would have 3 upper layers too but it's definitely still shorts weather here.
    Happy Christmas everyone. Here's to 2022, whatever it might bring, hope you all keep well and can enjoy some running.

• Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Trying not to look at the shoe talk, I really can't justify any more at the moment but the temptation...oh, the temptation!!

Just over 15 miles this morning, nice and slow to protect the glutes/hammies which seem to be improving. 
    Realised it was Friday whilst running so it was 59 miles for the seven day week.

Should hit an annual total of 2000 miles for the first time ever next week, it's already been my biggest December. 

Have a great Christmas, everyone. Hope Santa brings loads of running kit!
  • Options
    Just popping by to wish you all a very Merry Christmas and all the best for 2022. I’m busy constructing a comeback to fitness of sorts after a very work shy 2021 for the majority of the year. Hope to be back in the racing game again in the new year COVID permitting of course. Take care. 
  • Options
    Evening all. Merry whatever you celebrate. I found out yesterday that my Telford run qualified me for the England V40 team for the Great Bristol 10k next September. I hope I can do it justice. When I qualified for the V35 team the race was only two weeks after London Marathon and I absolutely had not recovered!
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Merry Xmas everyone. Just been for a run at the local parkrun, and I’m hoping to more ‘officially’ join this thread next year. We’ll see how that pans out!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's great news, Speedy. One of my aims as a v45 though whilst I'm comfortably inside the half mara time and Mara time, I can't run the 35.45 10k time. Seems very sharp compared to a 1.22.30 half or 3.10 mara. 

Good to hear from you Gérard and Gul. Hope you both get back at it next year. Where's SBD of late?

Good luck with the target, BigG. 

Looks like you got plenty of festive running in, oo. 

Tr, good to hear niggles are clearing. Hopefully you'll get a good block in and push sub 2.50?

Decent tally, gdawg, I'll land just short of 2500, but it'll be my highest ever. 

10.5m Xmas eve with 8 at mara pace. Seemed quite a bit more effort than usual, probably just out of routine. Nothing yesterday, just family time then an easy 8.5m this morning. Will do my planned 15 tomorrow instead when we have less going on. 
  • Options
    I'm not even sure what the V40 qualifying time is for women DT, other than nothing I needed to worry about. For me the issue was finishing in the top 3 at a qualifying race. I actually didn't. I was 4th. One of the ladies above me either didn't register their interest, turned down the place or had already qualified from another race. 

I had intended to race 10k tomorrow, but the booster ruined me and it's very, very far away, so I've canned that. I had already planned a slow easy one today in prep for the race though, and didn't want to cancel on my friend. 6 very soggy miles at a smidge slower than 9 min miling. I'll consider this past week as a rest week. I *could* go out again later. Or I could just snuggle up with a book and the cat. I'll probably do 14 or so tomorrow instead of the 10k race. 

Of course I did parkrun in a stupid outfit yesterday. I needed the Santa hat since the wind was icy. Managed mara pace on the hilly course and felt relatively comfortable, so my body is recovering. Hopefully next week I can get back to doing sessions and then... well, the many XC races of January are someone dependant on whatever new restrictions may or may not be coming. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Congrats on the selection Speedy 
    Let's hope we can all race in Jan 🤞
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - you got 4 daughters?

CC - good for you, can you do Bristol? Agreed on the finishing high enough being harder than then qual time, esp at the longer distances.

You've had a cracking year DT, well done, its been a great watch. A strong run is the aim at Brighton as it can be windy and its lumpy early on, but yes, i hope to aim low 2.50s or better at vlm, time will tell.

Zero Christmas Day, 10m yday, turbo intervals today (10min wu, 20x2m30s/30s, 5min wd) today.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    My wife will be very flattered with that comment TR 🤣
  • Options
    Yes, all being well I'll be in Bristol. No autumn marathon planned for 2022 so that's a nice autumn/end of summer target. 

15 today, since I didn't get a long one yesterday. Trying to make the most of the week off work and pretending to be a full time athlete, so I also did some general conditioning work in the afternoon with plenty of resting in between. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, agreed, it probably is harder to finish in top 3 than run the times in the main. 

Speedy, isn't Bristol 10k mid May as opposed September, which you seem to be saying above? 

Thanks, TR, now to try and repeat, though the gains won't come so easy, if at all from here in. London will be a jog for me having hopefully run Berlin weekend before, though no outcome yet to my gfa application. 

Nice 15m yesterday at 7.26mm, just seemed to bounce along at very low effort. Easy 10m this morning. I realised end of last week I was a lot closer to 2500m than I thought so the race is on. I'm on 2476. Have 10-11m planned tomorrow with 8 at mara pace. That'll leave 13m over 2 days. Seems doable albeit I'm going away Thursday lunchtime for 5 days so will need to make sure whatever plans Friday holds, there's 40 mins free for a 5 or 6 miler. 

Will see me to about 220 for December which will be my highest December. 

• Options
    September 25th DT. 

Grass reps with club today. I'm not a fan, but I'm sure they'll do me good if the XC races in January do go ahead. 

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Good preparation for the XC races Speedy.  I'm tempted by the County Champs race on 8 January but worried about going over one of the ankles.  Well done on the England Masters Team Qualification. 

A good couple of sessions DT.  For 2019, Berlin confirmed the GFA application at the same time as the general ballot.  I'm sure they would have contacted you by now if there was a problem.  Well done on the 5 mile PB.

Good mileage for the year TR and good to hear the fitness is coming back.  Are you not tempted to enter Manchester? 

A good family Christmas Day outing OO.  Well done on the Valencia Marathon result - good to have done if not your fastest.

Hope you can get back to some running in 2022 Gerard.

Well done on the annual mileage G-D.

Hope you're enjoying the daylight running Gul.

Bit of a wobble from me mid November with a minor niggle and a lack of enthusiasm.  Only managed weeks of 61, 38, 55 and 35 and DNSd at the three entered races.  On reflection, I think I needed more down time post London.

Almost back on track with 74 and 77 for the last two weeks, including 18 miles on Christmas eve, 7.5 miles on Christmas day and 12.5 miles on Boxing day.  Should just squeeze over 3,200 for the year assuming I manage the planned 20 miles on New Year's Eve!
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - 2500 is decent for a low mileage person, shows good consistency. When did you start up again post SF?

SBD - well done on the easier weeks, defo needed, you were defo straight back to it too soon after vlm with GSR........i wouldnt mind doing manc, but itd need some logistics and i already have a rolled over Brighton place including park and ride, i had a crap day there in 2019 when the wind blew and my dad was really poorly n hospital (i was shattered on the start line, i shouldnt have run), i need to set the record straight, but ill sack it at late notice if its windy and find a smaller race.

A wet and windy 18m here today as i didnt  do a  long run at the weekend.
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited December 2021
    Mileage stats for me for 2021

A bit of a slow start to the year, but a good London campaign, followed by a November motivational crash and a bit of end of year enthusiasm!
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Sbd, good to hear from you. I think you are right re London. That period is as much as anything required to kick-start the desire again and have you chomping at the bit to get back into it. Looks like things are back on track though. 

Re Berlin, I was just maybe expecting something similar to London where you get positive confirmation that your gfa application is all good. 

Tr, looking at garmin, I started very tentatively in early July then built up in August and was back to a level of normality by September. 

Speedy, ah right, could have sworn I'd seen it in May. 

Decided to do my standard 160bpm tempo today just to mix it up after being left disappointed my the one on Xmas eve. I realised I'd broken my own trusted approach by chasing in the pace in the first half instead of letting it come second half. So today I did opposite and kept trying to pull pace back until halfway. Came in 6 16mm for 8m at 161bpm. Last week was 6.24 for 162. 

Nice progression with splits of 6.20, 6.20, 6.23 and 6.20 then 6.14, 6.13, 6.07 and 6.11. Felt much easier doing it that way. 

13m left to make target.