Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I'm sure you'll shift it quickly DT. I felt the same when I came back from Spain 2-3 kg heavier. I could feel the extras weight 🤨

I walk my wife to work and back 3-4 days a week so I'm not surprised at the high step count. Just interested how it compares with you high mileage guys. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    OO - i didnt think that swimming was supposed to be  much of a weight burner due to the cooling effect of the water, but if it works for you.

I only wear my garmin to run and dont weigh myself, but i know that on vlm day with the walking to the station and start, the race itself and the walking afterwards the garmin reported over 31 miles and nearly 42,000 steps in total.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    That's interesting TR. I weigh myself most days- probably more than I should.
    Had a solid session tonight- 1, 2, 3 minute efforts for 3 sets and that's the best I've felt for a while. It's XC on Saturday- generally I hate XC so this is my annual punishment. 
  • I also only wear my Garmin for training, so no idea on steps. I have lost 1kg per month (so 3kg) since getting the invisalign braces. This is not sustainable. 2 more months and I'll be officially underweight. I've been eating all manner of rubbish over Christmas as well. You can't eat (or drink anything other than water) with them in, and you have to have them in for 20 hours per day minimum. They're such a faff to get on an off, plus you have to brush your teeth before you put them back in. It really puts you off eating, especially if you're not at home with your toothbrush. I'm shovelling in as much as I can at mealtimes, but apparently I used to snack a lot. I knew that, but it must have been even more than I thought! 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    My daughter had those Speedy. The good news is that she has a fine set of nashers by the end 😉
  • 211 more days and counting OO! (Plus however long I have to wear the retainer full time of course, but at least that will be easier to get on an off with no attachments, hooks, posts and elastic bands!). 

Yesterday I had a very short window of time in which I could squeeze a run. There was also a short window of time when it snowed heavily. The two coincided. I wasn't best pleased. Although afterwards it rained heavily, and that might have been worse come to think of it. I was driving to the dentist in that, still unable to get warm after the run, heater on full blast. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I never weigh myself, although I'm thinking of getting scales to find out when I've gone back up to 50kg and can become a blood donor again.  And I think I'll keep my slightly wonky teeth (including the one rotated through 90 degrees!) rather than put up with that, Speedy.  You're going to have to start eating more fat to get the calories in quickly, or you'll end up with amenorrhea.

Work went a bit mad so no running yesterday and a quick 3 miler today.
  • I also have a rotated tooth. So far round they're actually just pulling it even further round so that it's back to front as that's easier. There's a post attached to it and a chain link thing attached to that which connects to another post that anchors it to the back molar. The dentist tightened the chain on that yesterday, so that's, er, interesting today. I wouldn't have gone for them if I'd known in advance just how much of a faff they are. I thought I was getting train track metal braces. I suspect Veganuary goodies will do a better job of staving off the weight loss than Christmas did, but when the mileage really picks up in February and March I'm going to have to start drinking Huel or similar alongside my meals. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    CC - i suggest you go up to 4 meals per day then, and add food replacement type drinks instead of snacks.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    My teeth probs are just old age ones. I'll need a couple more implants this year to replace some dodgy back teeth. It's an uncomfortable but relatively swift procedure but the last one I had cost £2000. Heaven knows what they cost now....😢
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    My wife is same , Speedy, yanking the thing in and out and brushing her teeth. I'm sure teeth brushing 6 times a day isn't good for them! 

My teeth were done at 12 with horrible train track braces. Hated my parents for it but grateful now.

Session today, was a bit apprehensive after Tuesday. Was 5 mins at 5.50s x 8 off 2 min at 6.50s. Went pretty well with all the main reps coming in at 5.55/5.56 and 8.8m covered at 6.08mm. Hard work as 7 of the 5 min reps involved a 90s- 2min slight uphill drag straight into the wind. Though it felt like much more controlled hard work than Tuesday did. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Weigh in today, 4lb down (lots of water retention no doubt) so 2lb off pre xmas weight and 5lb off peak race weight. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Bet that was before Birthday cake DT. All the best 🍺
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, before even a cuppa! 46 today! Not the best starts. Sons football match called off so an impromptu dad's and lads mix up game. 

I normally run far away when I'm asked to play football but thought I'd take it easy, just sit at back and do the basics. About 25 mins in I over extended to cut out a cross and hamstring popped. Really sore now, can't properly walk on it. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Happy Birthday DT, sounds like a weekend warrior injury, hopefully it'll soon ease. Good session yday, youre going well.

Ive a 10k next sunday as a fitness test, will be interesting as the last time i did any quick running was the last time i did a 3min rep session on 1st Dec.

18m in the wind and pissing rain this morning, rained every step of it.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes I've made that mistake before DT.  Cut my feet to ribbons once trying to get near a football with some work colleagues.
    That sounds miserable  TR. Hopefully my long run will be better tomorrow. The legs are fairly battered already from an easy parkrun jog this morning followed by a 6 mile mud fest at XC. I was as useless as ever but got a point for the team and strangely enjoyed it.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I hope that apart from the hammie pull you had a nice birthday, DT, and that the injury feels a little better today.  If not, then you know the drill: take it easy with soft tissue stuff, and try and get it looked at ASAP.

Glad you enjoyed the cross-country, OO.

A much nicer day here today than it was yesterday: a very pleasant 10 miles.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    The joys of being a long distance runner, TR! 

Oo, if it was a work thing I'd have told them no chance but my son wanted me to play and in a few years he probably won't. 

Thanks, Jools. Feels less sore today.

Spoke with physio I use yesterday as we are friends aside from her physio role. She said first 3-4 days to basically leave it alone and rest and ice it as massage and stretch will just open it back up. Being a weekend I've been able to diligently follow that. 

The strained area is right in the middle of hamstring which looking on line is a good thing as that's the area that repairs fastest due to good blow flow. 

Knowing I couldn't run today I drank a little more last night than I intended too. Conditions look lovely as well for a long plod today. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    My legs were a bit tired today so I eased in with an easy 5k with Mrs OO. Then a 10 mile progression and a 2 mile warm down. That brings up a 50 mile week with 25 in the last 2 days. I'm feeling really pooped this afternoon.
  • Happy Birthday DT, sorry to hear about the injury though. 

XC County Champs yesterday in disgusting weather. The worst of it was during the men's race though, so I shouldn't complain too much. I was 3rd, behind the Potter Twins. I managed to hang on to Jane for the first two laps, but she was clearly just biding her time and sped off into the distance on lap 3. We're all over 40 so we got two medals each, one for 'senior' and one for V35-44. They run the Notts and Derbyshire champs together in one race so I was actually 4th in the whole race. At least the Derbyshire girl who was ahead of me had the decency to be a youngster (she's probably early 30s though). What on earth does it say about XC running in Nottinghamshire, when the first three over the line are all over the age of 40? Then 16 miles today in much nicer weather. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Saw that on Strava Speedy. Your pace was eye-watering in those conditions. Especially for an 'ahem' mature lady....😉
    Those Senior ladies must be running scared
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited January 2022
    Sounds like a hard-core weekend, oo, no wonder you are done in! 

Speedy, congrats on the xc haul. It is strange that no youngsters were there to go for county titles and I assume county team selection for inter county champs. Your gain though! 

Worcestershire/ Warwickshire champs were cancelled midweek due to a covid outbreak at the site it was being held at. 

Berlin  ballot/gfa results start coming tomorrow, hopefully my spot will be a formality, just nice to have it confirmed so I can then get some confirmed travel chums! 

Anyone know when London results are out? Need to make sure my hotel is booked before them. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I think many people don't care about county champs any more.  Even I managed to win the Avon title by default one year!  However, coming third only to the ever-speedy Potter twins is rather different, and not to be scoffed at.  I've sometimes wondered if they take it in turns to win?  Congratulations!
  • Sorry to hear about the football injury DT - hope it sorts itself out soon.

Great running at the County champs Speedy - super impressive. 

Our County champs were today - think it's still pretty popular down here with a decent number of people taking part:140 in the women's race and 214 in the men's event.

Ours was just over 12km round the Denbies vineyard which meant it was a combination of hills and some amazingly slippery mud. I wasn't feeling in great shape at the start but kept it steady all the way round and exceeded my expectations, so pretty pleased overall. Good lead in to a run of XC events with a league match next weekend and the Southerns at the end of month.

Is anyone on here going to be at the Nationals at Parliament Hill in February?

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - yep, good running weather today, no surprise as it was turbo day for me. Ice one on the birthday booze up. Hope your hammy settles quickly, you might end up with more of a Manc mara focus after all, if it takes you a while to be able to run hmp?

Top bombing that CC, fair play to you, a county medal is a big deal.......do those sisters do a serena and venus as jools wonders?
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    A good 18 miles in those conditions TR.  Will be interesting to see how you get on at the 10K.

That's a good run at the county champs Lorenzo.  I'm still avoiding the Club XC, so no Nationals for me.

Bad news on the hamstring injury DT.  What's the physio's view on recovery time?

Well done on the XC medal Speedy.  Having checked the Bucks results, an AC medal was on offer if I'd turned up!

Good to see you enjoying the running Jools.

That's a good end to the week OO.

Out of isolation today.  I've had mild symptoms which have almost cleared up although the LFT is still showing positive.  Managed to keep running on the treadmill during isolation, so 61 miles for the week, with a CNBA day on Friday.  It was good to get outside today in very pleasant conditions.   Ran on the Phoenix Trail,  the local cycleway/footpath, which is my go to long run route.  It was probably the busiest I've seen it with a mixture of walkers, dog walkers and cyclists.   A steady 16 miles at 7:36/m.  
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the xc, Lorenzo. I won't be at Nationals, it's about 4 years since my last outing. 

Tr, yes, if this takes a couple of weeks or so to get back up to speed then I may bin off half ambitions. I can take a week out as I never really had the Xmas downtime I promised myself. I'm getting a bit edgy though that it isn't healing but keep forgetting it only happened 36 hours ago. 

Sbd, decent tmill miles. I've been keeping an eye on great Bentley waiting list. You're about 4 places below me and there's been some decent progress this last 5 days and a lot of folk on the list turning places down as not trained. 

Physio suggests, based on my detail I've given, nothing until about Thursday then elliptical or bike for a bit and should be back to full training 3 weeks max. Not ideal, particularly as a silly injury to pick up but at same time it's an injury that has a clear explanation as opposed to entering what it is and what's caused it. 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    It's also not a running injury DT which I think helps.
    Well done Lorenzo sounds like you fared better than me at XC. No nationals for me this year.
    I'm amazed you got those miles in with Covid SBD. It will be interesting to see how your lungs cope when you push it in a hard session.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope that hamstring gives a fast fix, DT
    Great stuff at Denbies, Lorenzo. I really enjoyed the XC there a couple of months ago.

Great isolation miles, SBD. Glad you're feeling better.

Chalked up 47 miles for the week again, same as previous week. 
    Saturday was a slow solo 7 miler in the cold wind and rain, yesterday was a 6 mile recovery run. It feels like I have zero pace right now, everything is a struggle. I have no 'flow' in my running, everything feels like a laborious plod. LSR was around 8.23 pace yet I reckon that was my flat-out speed for Saturday. Shocker!

Having a rest day today but will do more kettlebell squats and core stuff to strengthen the ongoing glute/hamstring problem areas. Even the left Achilles has popped in to the party but does seem to settle down at various points of the runs.

Four weeks of the Manc campaign done and nowhere near delivering a quality time. Just got to keep on keeping on, I guess...
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    G-Dawg: when you're rebuilding fitness it takes a while to get 'pace lift', but keep plodding away and it will happen.  The first time I broke 3 hours I did plenty of running in the 8.15-8.30m/m bracket.  The main thing is your aerobic base is being built.

Lorenzo: mmm, Denbies. Quite good wine!  (Some of my family used to live nearby, so I bought some out of interest.)

Rest day today, but the plan is to do a S&C session after work.  I was incapussitated this morning.