Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Funny enough, I've another one in May, OO. That was bought and paid for in 2019 ready for 2020 though, 4th attempt to get there! 

Sounds like a very good day, gdawg! 

Easy 6m yesterday then spin first thing and just back from a 5m recovery. Legs had a bit of doms following Wednesday as not used to it.  Slightly slower in the wind than my first continuous 5m run on same loop 12 days ago but 9bpm lower. 

I'm on 29m for week and have a mixed pace long tomorrow so will cover about 15m so a nice pick up on last week's 38 together with introduction of some faster stuff. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    I've got a 2.2 mile road relay tomorrow but the team are falling like flies so not too hopeful. Then a 20 miler Sunday  should land mid 50s. 

2 holidays DT- you'll do well to keep a lid on your weight 😆
  • Options
    Work is still rather manic, so not posting much, and - in my retired from running state - not running much.  Storm Eunice didn't help, either, as we were within a red alert area yesterday.  Anyway, 6 miles steady on Thursday and 7 miles with some strides today.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Hope everyone got through the storms OK. We had trees down in our road and I lost some glass panes from the greenhouse as the wind must have twisted the frame and under tension, the glass exploded out.

Got out yesterday morning for a 21 miler. It was still a bit blowy. We were dodging fallen trees most of the way. The route was supposed to take us round Virginia Water lake but when we got there they closed the area off due to the weather, so we had to make up another route on the fly.

Good session to get done, though.
    Just a 4 mile recovery today to bring up a rare 60 miles for the week.

Have decided on a big recovery week to do a mini-taper for the HM next Sunday and give my body a rest as well as hopefully recover from the injury niggles.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Hope the work is enjoyable and not too stressful Jools 🤞
    I also managed 60 miles GDawg. I ran well at the relays yesterday but in a weak team that came 4th so no medals. Annoyingly if they had dropped me to the V40s I could have helped them to a gold (instead of silver) 🙄. Today was a slow plod in brutal winds but 22 miles after 3.5 hours of running. Also chucked in a few hills for Boston 😉
    I'll cut back as well to around 50 this week , but no races planned for a while. 
  • Options
    Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    Hi everyone. Just a quick note that I went under 3:15 yesterday in Seville, with 3:06:14, which is a 13-min PB for me. It’s a flat and fast course, and it was great conditions on the day. I think I was probably in around this shape last October but didn’t get to the start line of what was my A-race last autumn, so I’m really pleased that everything came together for me yesterday. 

For a few miles I was hoping that 3:05 may have been on, so I think that is possibly my next medium term goal. 
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Fantastic news Big G so pleased for you. I did Seville 4 years ago and loved it- fast and flat and in a great city. Hopefully you can kick off from here and get even more 👍
  • Options
    Great work, Big G.  Particularly pleasing that you managed to maintain your form from the autumn.

5 steady this morning.  Still a bit blowy out, but gusts of only about 30mph felt positively benign compared to a few days ago.
  • Options
    Hi there everyone - great to see that the recent wind, rain and cold weather hasn't deterred everyone from getting out. Clearly DT and Big G (congrats on the big PB) both had the right idea in heading off to warmer climes.

Nice long running from G-Dawg (we're going to have to meet up some time for a plod through the Surrey mud) and speedy stuff from OO.

Sounds like retirement (from running, not working!) is suiting you Jools.

Have had a few weeks around the 50 mile mark as part of the build up to Manchester, but had a bit of a setback last week when my hamstring twinged about 3 miles into a run and forced me to have a couple of days rest before giving it a try out at Edgbaston parkrun over the weekend. It was still sore so definitely didn't go full blast, managing a decent progression in pace throughout the run before making it back to watch the curling. Fortunately it was much less sore when I went out this morning, so I'm hopeful it'll be sufficiently OK for me to run Wokingham at a decent pace on Sunday. I'm not expecting a miracle so might have to build in another race in March to give me a sense of progress pre-Manchester. Who else is doing Wokingham?

Autumn running plans are building nicely - I'll be doing the Beachy Head Ultra (basically the marathon + the 10K route) in October, but the one I'm particularly excited about is my first ever Great North Run as I got the "you're in" message yesterday. Unfortunately Mrs L and elder Lorenzito didn't get in, but younger Lorenzito and his girlfriend (who's from Newcastle) did so hopefully it'll still be a fun family trip up to Tyneside as the race is the day after our wedding anniversary  :)

OO 
    - are you doing GNR again this year? Will be tapping your brains for advice on accommodation, pre-race fuelling etc closer to the time.
  • Options
    Quiet on here!  I took yesterday as a rest day as I was knackered and the weather was awful.  It was also an impromptu rest day from work, as we've been given two days off in my middle of my current trial, so I set my out of office and had a lovely relaxing day: reading and cooking.  Back at my desk today. but only after a lovely 7 miles in the sunshine, and definitely feeling more alert and ready to focus than I would have done otherwise.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited February 2022
    Sounds nice, Jools. Good to see the sun and blue skies today after grim weather recently.

I'm in the middle of three rest days to let the injury niggles recover a bit. Ran Mon/Tues and did a double on Wednesday. The evening session was at the track where I tried to have a go at what I would like to be HM pace for Sunday, 6.25-ish.

It was very windy, after a 2 mile warm up in the streets I made the track session 800m, 1 mile (x3), 800m all at 6.2x pace with 90 sec recoveries. It was very windy again but a couple of those mile efforts were sub-6.20, so that was OK.

Saw the Fizz yesterday to iron my legs out and he gave me some good advice on how to work with what we are now calling Hamstring Tendinopathy. I now have a targeted plyometric program to help with the problem and give me a best go at Manchester.

I don't think the HM race on Sunday will be a PB but it will be a good time trial and a marker for where I am in training. 
    It feels like I don't have any natural flow for speed at the moment but I've certainly put the miles in with Jan and Feb over 200 miles each for the first time ever. The big hope is that the body adaptation happens soon and 6.45 pace feels natural for Manchester. We'll see...
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    The weather up north has also been bright but breezy. Also some hip pain after a speed sesh on Tuesday so more swimming  and less miles so far this week. I'm planning a fast parkrun at Middlesbrough (Albert park- my first A parkrun 😁) but not sure I can capitise with a fast time given the hip issues.
    Lorenzo I never enter GNR as I resent paying £60 for a half M. However I pick up a late entry most years- last year running dressed as Superman. Happy to help with planning and hopefully a meet up. I have a tradition of running to the ferry from South to north Shields after the race but I'm sure we can fix something. Let's message closer to the date....👍
    Good luck at the HM GDawg....
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Nice to bump into Lorenzo at the Wokingham Half today. Good run there, Squire.

As mentioned, I was unsure how I would do today as my training times are down on the same stage for London last year. However, it seems the extra volume and just running consistently works just as well.

Grabbed an unexpected PB of 1.24.49. Well pleased with that.
    Course was nowhere near as flat as expected, confirmed by friends after who ran the old version a few years ago. Occasional headwinds also played their part but I have to say, I felt quite strong.

Start was a bit crowded and I could only manage a 6.46 first split. It soon stretched and the second split was 6.07. I settled in and could see the 1.25 pacer about a minute or so up the road. He started ahead so I tried to keep him in sight and reel him in a bit as that would see me score a 1.25-something if I didn’t fade.

Gave some time back to the course on inclines and cashed in when it gave it back. Hamstrings weren’t happy but the discomfort was bearable. Definitely made the relight decision to have three days off and a sports massage.

Decided to power up in the final three and then go for it in the final mile when I saw 7 mins could get me a PB.

Final split was 6.08 which tells me I had good strength.
    Well chuffed and a good marker for Manchester.
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good one Dawg, as you say it shows youre in a good place 5 weeks out. Im normally too tired to nail a 1/2 in the build up. Get working on managing those issues now.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Yes that is brilliant Dawg especially a 6:08 last mile. And seeing team Lorenzo is always a pleasure. All looking good.
    My parkrun came in at 18:05 in a windy Middlesbrough course. Annoyingly the gps showed me going much faster and measured the course long, so I was disappointed crossing the line and discovering my near miss.
    18 miles today at plod pace for a 52 week.

• Options
    Great to catch up before and after the half today G-Dawg. Fantastic run and you fully deserved the post-race beer.

Reasonably pleased with my time of 1:30:40 in light of my recent hamstring tweak. Didn't feel it at all during the race which was encouraging. I set off with the aim of doing the first 6 miles around 7 min / mile pace and then pushing on a bit if everything felt OK. As it turned out, I went out a little bit too quick but settled into a rhythm of around 6:55s and kept it there apart from a 7:04 in mile 9 and a 7:17 (headwind stretch?) in mile 11.

So still feeling optimistic for a Manchester run of around 3:12, but toying with the idea of giving another half a go in a 2-3 weeks time to get a final marker. Any thoughts out there on the advisability of running a half flat out 2-3 weeks before a marathon?

OO - I know what you mean about paying that amount of money for a half, but figured it was worth it for a one off. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Big G, congrats on the pb. Sub 3 is only a hop and skip away now. 

Gdawg, big congrats on the pb, sets you up well for Manchester. The standard at Wokingham was obscene looking at results. Top 3 v40 all 68 mins and about 20 v45 were sub 80. 

Lorenzo, that's a solid result as well all things considered. 

Hope everyone else are well?

Home last night ftom lanzarote. Covered 42m including 2 sessions so training wise, based on where my running has been, a reasonably normal week. 

Not planning on touching a scale until later in week to scope out the damage! Easy 5m lunchtime, but decided to skip spin as I have a mild cold and a very sore throat. Done a couple of covid tests and negative. This is day 3 so hoping to feel a bit better tomorrow. 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Welcome back, DT. Hope you had a good one.

Yep, it was a class field at Wokey on Sunday. In 2019 I was 4th v50 at the Surrey Half which has a bigger field overall, on Sunday with a faster time I was 22nd v50.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Goes to show the impact of ot being an AG qualifier I guess. 

Still feeling rough here with a less sore throat but heavier cold. Managed to keep up with the schedule with easy 8m Tuesday then 8 x 1k reps yesterday off 1 min which I really didn't fancy. They all came in about 3.40 per rep so a bit off the 3.30-3 35 I was doing pre London but then post holiday and injury, and feeling like I do, I'll take that. 

Just 45 min aerobic today on bike. 
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Is everyone doing Manchester on the white start? just trying to work out if I need to drop back a start so I don't get caught up in a fast effort initially. 

Also, anyone doing beer afterwards? 
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Red A start for me. Red B for my mate. We're heading back to the station straight after but if there's beer to be had en route, that might work. Any suggested venue?

8 Steady miles today. Thighs still sore. Just tried a bath with Epson Salts to see if that helps.
  • Options
    Red B start for me and elder Lorenzito is on Blue A so I'll hang around and wait for him to come in. Heading back to Didsbury afterwards, but I'm sure I/we can be tempted by a beer afterwards.

8 steady for me this morning as well - noted that G-Dawg ran the same pace with sore thighs as I managed on non-sore ones.

Hope you're on the road to recovery DT
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I think I'll drop back into red start, don't want to get caught up at 2.45 pace or fund myself embarrassingly last until the red starters catch up. 

Lewis is looking to sort out a team nlc pub just off finish so will let you know name. 

First go at tempo running proper yesterday so 2.5m at tempo x 2 off 1m at lower tempo. Tempo miles came in 6.10-6.15 ish and low tempo was 6.30 so 6m at 6.16mm average for 160 bpm target. 

Still feeling pretty rough as well so not too bad though legs are a bit stiff today. Guess I just need to get back into the rhythm of them. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Pretty good going though DT, youve still got 8 or 9 wks yet, so plenty of time to put some miles into the legs.

Crawling towards some fitness at last here, done a few long runs with a decent block of the P and D mp +10% in them, and ran 23m yday finishing strongly.....ive only 5 weeks to go though, disappointed that Brighton are keeping the no on the day bag drop, reckon vlm might try it again too. Reinfoces the need for a number collect too, which id rather not have for Brighton (or vlm).
  • Options
    Sounds like a sensible plan to me DT - given everything you can't really complain about that tempo session.

Slightly sluggish Guildford parkrun for me on Sunday - was more muddy and slippery underfoot on the grassy parts of the course than I was anticipated but still a bit disappointed to only log 21:08. 9th place wasn't too bad but I suspect that that was down to the Surrey Half taking place today.

20 miles this morning along some very attractive Surrey Hills lanes - plenty of cyclists out there this morning as well. Brought up 53 for the week, so will probably aim for a couple more weeks at this kind of level before a 4 week taper.   
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Despite it being on my doorstep, so pleased I ditched the Surrey Half yesterday in favour of an extra week's recovery by doing Wokingham. Legs were very tired last week.

Nipped down to Brighton on Saturday to do my final 20 miler of the campaign with a mate I'm doing Manchester with, He lives outside of Brighton and often does long runs along the front so I went along for a good chat and a welcome change of scenery. It was a bit windy but nice to run easy by the sea despite my legs being extremely tired.

A 6 mile recovery yesterday bagged 54 for the week. 
    Rest day today to try and get the legs ready for a longer MP based session tomorrow.
    Currently I've run 31 miles more than the same point for the 2021 London campaign, training times are down but I don't think I need to be too concerned after the HM PB last week.
  • Options
    DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Nice work, gdawg, fingers crossed 4 weeks today you'll be sat here with a new pb. 

Decent long run, tr. What's the target for Brighton? I really hope vmlm don't do that again! 

16m easy yesterday. Still feeling far from 100% with sore throat and fatigue but plodded it out. 5m recovery today. 
  • Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭
    Dawg - last 20m at 4 wks out? How far will your last 3 longish runs be?......i still go long 3 and 2 wks out.

DT - some form of sub3 hopefully, its a bit lumpy early and then potentially wind affected after about 8m, no point getting too excited until the weather forecast is available. I dont think im as fit as i was for vlm, we'll see. Good going on the 16m. Loads of colds and lurgies about, probably due to us being allowed to mingle again.
  • Options
    G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Hi TR - Nice work on your 23. I can rarely finish strong on a long run!
    My next long runs are 18, 16, and 12. I only do four 20s and the final 20 is always 4 or 3 weeks out. Things going on outside of running usually dictate when I do them.

For London I had a short family holiday 4 weeks out and could only get 30 miles of running that week. The following week I did the final 20 on the Monday and got a 60 mile week done (that's big for me). This campaign will total around 770 miles for the 16 weeks, so I usually find the session movement doesn't matter too much, but I wouldn't do the final 20 five weeks out, that would seem too far away.

Just realised the last 4 weeks long runs have been 21, 21, 13,1(race), 20. Good miles in the bank and time on feet.

Looking good, DT. Well done.
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited March 2022
    Good to see the Manchester chat. I have a pal going for sub 3 at his 1st attempt and I think he might do it. Should be a very big field this year as the leading UK Spring mara 🤔
    I had a heavy week last week. 62 miles and 3 swims. A bit disappointed with 18:38 at the parkrun though, I was hoping to get below 18 but it just wasn't there. I'll be backing off a bit this week. 6 weeks until Boston- I reckon 2 more 20 milers should do it- probably the last one on the track.
    Hope the bug clears up soon DT 🤞