Sub 3h15

Comments

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Mine is 9 mins under the stated time, but now the October race is back in the mix, I'm expecting to be 17 mins under with a one minute PB!!  :D
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Gdawg, going back to your comment re Manchester, I agree re start. After I dropped my bag I expected to run out of old Trafford and see the start area, however it must have been a 15 min walk. 

In the senior cat unless you are 2.49 you should enter the ballot. If they have to reduce the time by 10 mins that's a 49 year old needing a 2.59. Given 3.20 was good enough a few years ago, that's a big slice. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, well done on the sub 18. I'm surprised, I thought you'd quite enjoy Manchester. Fingers crossed you get to Boston without issue. 

As for speedy and I progressing, I suppose it's more than just coincidence we both have coaches. 

Tr, yes Lewis was in fact an official pacer for his wife. She has been in incredible form with some big race results but didn't go to plan Sunday and had to stop at 14m to be sick. Lewis just cracked on at planned pace. She still managed a 3 min pb in 2.46. 

I've had a decent week so far with 5 Monday, 8 Tuesday, 10 Wednesday and 8 and spin today. Legs and body feel like they normally would now on a Thursday in peak training. Though this cold is now just passing its peak.

Got an 8m tempo tomorrow then 23m Sunday. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - well played mrs lewis then, wonder if it was nutrition related as 14m is early for it to be effort related, i like to wait until the finish shute area before i meet pukie......good week there, esp with tomorrow and sunday, all within a week of a 2.55......ive had persistant lurgy for ages, folks all around me keep testimg positive, but i keep returning negatives. I was talking at a careers fayre this week with 100s of others too, all high risk.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    No complaints about Manchester DT, there are just very few I'd go back to when there are so many new ones to try 👍
    The walk and hanging around at the start of Manchester is something I'd forgotten but yes not great at all. And a similar long walk at the end.
    I'm actually more worried about getting to Boston that the race itself. What with the last minute Covid test and the chaos at Heathrow over Easter. Not sure I'll relax till I get on the plane. Planning a 13 miler on Sunday with a few hills. Then cotton wool time ☁️
  • Big_GBig_G ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    OO, I know where you’re coming from about the travel aspects. When I did Seville in February, it was Storm Eunice that was the issue. I was flying on the Friday (when the storm was due to hit) so booked a hotel on Thursday to be close to the airport, which I only booked it Thursday PM. I got to the airport on Friday AM and flights were being cancelled or delayed all around my flight, but I boarded mine on time. However it was only when I felt the wheels take off that I relaxed a bit and I had a big smile on my face when we landed in the sun of Seville a few hours later. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I'm yet to experience a foreign race, but hoping when I do in September this business will be much more settled. 

Fair comment re Manchester,  oo. 

10.5m over lunch with 8m at my usual 160bpm. Came in at 6.16mm for 159. Same run, same course 3 weeks ago was 6.16mm for 162bpm. Hopefully the training pipeline is filtering through now as 3 weeks ago I'd only had 2 weeks decent training under my belt. Legs felt no more tired today than they normally would at this stage in training so no Manchester hangover. 

Two more big training weeks remaining. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Shows how far youve come recently DT, to have a week like that following a 255 which was achieved as a session!
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, yep, quite peculiar.

Beginning to think (weather/course permitting) that sub 6.20 pace could be doable.

Weighed yesterday, 2lb over London weight, however my shape is different, I'm much leaner (skinnier) looking and clothes back that up. 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Tr, weren't you running Brighton today?

23m this morning so just under 3 hours out on my feet which ought to serve me well. Legs felt pretty good and feel decent enough now. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Didnr resemble running much.........been lurgified again, did 2m easy yday, thought 2m easy cant be as hard as that so did 1m more, felt a bit better so put it down to crap HR data......i was meeting the mate i ran vlm with, so showed up........found myself just behind the sub3 pacers, but by 5m they'd run away from me and my effort level was too high, so i eased off and then stopped at 13m when you go past the finish......guess they tell you not to run if youve been unwell for a reason. Ill save my training and find another mara in May.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    That's a shame, TR. At least you had the good sense to give yourself a chance to go again in a few weeks by stepping off. 

How about Milton Keynes? 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Sorry to hear that TR you seemed to be in decent form too.
    I've developed a foot issue which might be serious. I think I probably did it squeezing a running shoe on my foot on Friday. Then ran parkrun hard on Saturday while it was sore, which was a mistake. Still 6 days before I fly so all running is cancelled including today's last long run. 🤞🤞🤞🤞
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    I actually have a North Dorset Villages place rolled over from when we were finding smaller races in spring 2020, but its only 3 weeks, so will review next weekend.  Id like 5 or 6 weeks ideally.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Get some ice on it OO
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    I'd find that too tempting TR and probs go for it but you'll know what's best for you.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    My RHR was 61 when i woke up today, it should be 50 or less, i assumed a similar reading yday was due to race day excitement. Ill take a day off today and see where we are, although with an unused taper i should be pretty fresh when my RHR comes back down. 

DT - i guess id be in a similar position to you where i train for a week or 2 and then have a short taper, seeing as ive just done a taper?
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that, TR, but well done for backing off and dropping out.  I'd take it easy for a week if I were you.

OO: fingers crossed that the foot improves.

First run in 4 weeks for me: 5 miles of run/walking.  Chest is a little bit achy now, so I think 5 miles of run/walking might be my limit for a bit!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear about your Brighton race, TR. Well done on the sensible management which will hopefully give you another go soon.
    The RHR is a good indicator. I've been monitoring mine since I first got the heavy cold a few weeks ago. Annoyingly it's been back to normal in the past few days, so I wasn't fully recovered going into Manchester but good and lucky enough to get round.

Good to see you running again, Jools

Worrying noises on the foot issue, OO. Hope it fixes soon. The first few miles of Boston are downhill which will be a tester for an injury like that. Fingers crossed for a quick resolution.

Bang in the middle of my two week no run recovery. Never done this before but it feels the right thing to do. Loads of glute and hamstring work going on to build strength in and around the tendinopathy area. Looking forward to some short, quick sessions including parkruns in May, injury permitting.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Hello folks. I've missed reading about all your exploits - a quick glance back confirms there have been some great performances and of course disappointment too, but it's all part of the learning curve.
    I see Boston is on the horizon - hope your foot issue has gone by then OO. And hope you're also recovered TR in time for your backup mara.
    Good to hear you've ventured out for some walk/running Jools. It's a nice start. I 've just been out for my first run since 5th November and I could certainly tell it had been a long while! Just 2 miles at what should have been easy pace and it was hard work. Miss GD the elder should be getting married at the end of June, so I need to lose half a stone to fit properly into my new suit. I am so vain :)

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    5 mile run/walk again today, and felt a lot better than yesterday's.  I've had to replace my Garmin, and even if you pair a new Garmin with your account the actual device doesn't 'know' your history.  Mine proudly informed me today that I had run my 'fastest mile': 9.33.  It's going totally lose its shit, and make great predictions for future progress, when I'm back to running continuously in hopefully only a few weeks' time!

GD: I'm the other way around.  Since 'retiring' from racing I've gone back to my non-running (but still very healthy BMI) weight, and am finally heavy enough to give blood again after something like 15 years.  Donating in a couple of weeks' time.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    It's great to hear from you Gul really miss your posts doing 'Gul o clock' runs. I hope you get back into shape in time for the wedding 😆
    I really don't know how you could stop running so dramatically. If it ever comes to me it's more likely to be a Jools style step back.
    Look forward to see how you enjoy those parkruns GDawg. I love "em 😉
    Still resting the foot. Slightly more hopeful but honestly don't know.
  • edited April 2022
    Welcome back Gul - glad to hear you're back running again. Congrats to Miss GD and good luck with the suit fitting! ;)

Nice one Jools - when I last gave blood I got an email a bit later to tell me where the blood that I had given was being used, which gave me an extra warm feeling about having donated. Also an interesting video to watch here: https://www.blood.co.uk/the-donation-process/after-your-donation/the-journey-of-a-blood-donation/

Fingers crossed with your foot OO - how long are you going to be out in Boston for?

Decent 8 and a bit miles at 7:15 pace for me this morning. Pushed a bit harder at the end to just duck under the hour for this particular loop - something I hadn't achieved for a while. Perfect running weather out there this morning and looks like it'll be nice this weekend as well so might do a bit of parkrun tourism.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    4 days away Lorenzo. And the first parkrun I've missed since Lockdown 😉
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Excited to hear about your Boston experience, OO. I take it the convoy of yellow school busses still take runners from the centre of town near the finish line and up to Hopkintion? That's quite an experience in itself what with the Police motorcycle outriders.

Loads to eat and drink at the high school holding area.

For sightseeing, the City View trolley tours are good, I think the drivers are wannabe stand-up comedians. Great fun. You also get a harbour tour ticket thrown in with the price if you fancy the boat trip.

Don't forget to pay the eye watering cost for the celebration jacket, it's a nice one this year.

Still no running here as recovery continues. More glute work though, working on those buns of steel! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Oo, really hope the foot heals in good time. 

My provisional plan, just before covid existed was to be doing Boston now as it fell perfectly in the Easter holidays, having done Berlin and NY in 2020 and Chicago in October. 

Can't complain though, contextually it's a first world problem compared to what many have suffered. 

Great to hear from you, Gul. I too couldn't contemplate just dropping running to zero. Hope you can get that suit on! 

Tr, yes, should be easy enough to pick it up. My RHR did that before Manchester and I put it down to the excitement and angst, then ended up with a streaming cold. 

Wonder how SBD is getting on?

Easy 10m yesterday lunch then spin last night. Session this lunch. 

Popped to the gym this morning to use boditrax as was passing anyway. Weighed in at 65.5kg, lightest I've ever weighed on that looking at my history on the app. Just converted it to stones and its 10,3 and a 21.9 bmi. Not sure if that's pushing a little too low now. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo: Mr. Jools is a medic who works for the transfusion service, so I can finally do something to help him do his job.  They've certainly changed the amount of donor feedback you get in the 10-15 years since I last donated.  I'll let him know the video is helpful to donors :)  We did have a chuckle that where the donor declaration form says your signature should be witnessed by a member of NHSBT staff, I could (technically) manage that at home!

DT
    : even at 50kg, my BMI is only 20.  But my racing weight was around 45kg which is a BMI of 18.5 (if not a fraction under), so I was about as light as I could risk being.  I don't think I want to be that scrawny again: I've had a clear out and got rid of the clothes which no longer fit now I'm a healthier weight.

I still have everything crossed for you, OO

Another 5 miles of run/walking (1.5 mins : 1 minute today). 
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭
    Jools - I really ought to give blood but somehow never seem to get around to it.
    OO - I had intended to just cut back (a lot) but never got into a new routine.
    Lorenzo - nice to dip under an hour and feel like you're making a bit of progress.
    GD - good discipline while you continue to recover.
    DT - good to hear you're still plugging away. How did this lunchtime's session go?
    Lunchtime run for me (definitely not a session!); out to the bank and back for just over 2 miles. 
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    edited April 2022
    Good to see you back running Gul - running at lunchtime must seem very strange!

Some good results at Manchester from everyone.  Very impressive PB from Speedy and equally impressive training run from DT.

It's coming together nicely for MK DT.

Hope the foot clears up for Monday OO.  A couple of tips from my experience in 2019:

1) Hit the expo as soon as you can at an unpopular time as the queues close to race day and at peak times get quite large
    2) Don't stress about the weather forecasts as they'll keep changing right up to the start time on race day
    3) Bring a couple of bin liners to sit on the grass inside the tent at the holding area at the start
    4) Shoe liners are useful if it's wet for the grassy areas in front of the loos
    5) There are toilets just short of the starting pens
    6) You can warm up (a bit of jogging) in the starting pens
    7) I started in Pen 6 (I think you're the same) and found the first 10K a bit congested - so 5K splits of 21:03, 21:13, 20:43 and 20:48

Struggling a bit here at the moment but hoping to build back up for the Autumn marathons.  At least I now have an opportunity to get the 2023 GFA qualification time.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    SBD - you out of MK ? Struggling due to injury?

DT - did you do a 1/2 at Kempton ? Theres a runfest there end of May. It says a mix of tarmac and paths? But would give me 6 wks, its 8.30am start for the mara, which might be needed if its warm. Any course info woul be gratefully received.