Sub 3h15

Comments

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    I hope your flight departed ok yesterday, DT.  Local news has been reporting regularly that security at Bristol is overwhelmed...

6 miles yesterday and 8 today.  Longest post-Covid.  I took it nice and easy, especially as there were a few climbs.  It's nice to feel a bit fitter again.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Glad you're feeling fitter Jools, unlucky it's affected your running once you've otherwise  recovered. Took me about 4 weeks to get my lungs fully back 💗
    I'm a bit sluggish after the hols. Off to London for the Jubilee celebrations this weekend and hoping to make a pilgrimage to Bushey parkrun on Saturday 😊
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022
    We ended up arriving 24 hours late, though compared to those who just had holidays pulled we are happy just be be here.

Too hot to run outside so generally running on treadmill as a mid afternoon break from pool so running every other day. Still a few days to go yet. 

Racing next Sunday so that'll be interesting after this! 
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Enjoy the hols DT and give those batteries a good recharge.
    Bumped into Speedy at Bushy parkrun yesterday, casually running a parkrun before her 3k track race later in the day- what a hero. The course was a giant figure of 8 mainly on trails- pleasant but nothing outstanding. Glad we did it though, it's been on my bucket list for a while. I ran 18:32 and came 15th, getting back slowly to some form since the holiday.
    Heading back up North tomorrow, in time for an 800 and 1500 blast in the masters track league Monday evening. Hope you're all enjoying the long weekend 🤞.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - 24 hrs late isnt too bad given some of the tales on the news. That race will give you a good marker.

OO - sounds like you're racing yourself into good shape.

Ive had an easier couple of weeks, and appear to be on the up again. Booked a few shorts races over the next few weeks and then a 1/2 at the start of july, which will hopefully set me up ready for 12 wks to London.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    Glad you're on a positive trend TR, which half? I'm doing Big Half in London in September the only one I've entered this year. I'm also eyeing up Valencia marathon in December. I didn't really do it justice last year post Covid and would like to have another crack at it. It would be my last mara as a V55 as I turn 60 in January.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Great time at Bushy Park, OO. That's where I set my PB in 2019, my most recent parkrun! My eldest did his first parkrun there on Saturday. I'll tell him you beat him by 4 mins!

Congrats on the football result, DT. local rivalries aside, it's good to see Wales finally make it. Pleased for Bale too, such a great talent, he deserves a World Cup.

Good to hear of an upward trend, TR. Fingers crossed it continues.

Slowly getting the volume of miles up here with 38 last week. Got a slow 15 miler done on Saturday and the hamstrings didn't flare up until 9 miles. I've now started doing the things they say not to do for such a condition as they actually feel like the right thing to do such as hamstring stretches but ones where I'm lying on my back.

Did a good 11 miler last week where I did mile intervals of 7.2x and 6.5x (x5). Missed a couple of splits due to traffic but at least it shows there is some pace in there somewhere; something to work with.

Mojo is low but that should change next week when the 16 week campaign starts.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    OO - its a local motor cct 1/2, i did it last yr so its a good marker 13 wks out from vlm. Your aim has to be sub3 at 60? Maybe Seville in Feb?

Dawg - good that you are on the up too. As before a few drillsa week seem to be helping my glute/hammy.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Well done on the parkrun, oo. I'm surprised that's your first trip to Bushy. 

Sub 3 at 60 has to be a target. Though if it's of interest, perhaps have a look at the England masters qualifying events as you'd be a good shout. 

Tr, yes with hindsight 24 hours was OK, plus we get £1750 in comp so about 45% of our holiday cost back. 

I've started eyeing up some races also. Planning to run Newark half in Nottingham on 14th August, meant to be a good fast race. Looking for a 10k a few weeks earlier and maybe a parkrun early July. As you say, Sunday will be a good marker as I start building back up for Berlin. 

Gdawg, good to see you building back up. As you say, the mojo will return as soon as you have more purpose. 

The footy was tense, we didn't deserve the win, but then there are many times previously where we have deserved it and lost. 

Ventured outside for 5m this morning. Was ridiculously hard in the sun. Home tonight so normality from tomorrow.  
  • Leslie HLeslie H ✭✭✭
    Dt enjoy the half price holiday you did well there our honeymoon many years ago we lost a day as the plane was faulty and got nowt back! Claim rejected...
    0054 as fast as ever sub 3 at 60 within your grasp I'd say.
    Got 5 runs last week all 2 milers but nothing this week yet as on the last of 4 nights but will hopefully score something before Sunday. Today's excuse was blood donors for no 45 going to make that 50 pints yet lol
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Quiet on here....

Benchmark race today, leg 18 Welsh castles. After 5 weeks of very little and a lot of buffet action in Turkey leaving me 3kg over weight range my view was if I could 6mm the 8.9m that would be a good starting point. 

Not far off with an average pace of 6.05mm and 8th place. A top 10 finish in this event is generally good going given it's entirely club based. 

15 weeks today until Berlin, so proper training starts kicking in tomorrow. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    DT - decent blow out and starting point post holiday, onwards and upwards. Lewis will knock you into shape.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Yes, it'll come. My average hr was only 170 and max 177. Usually my average is closer to 177 and max mid 180s so it looks like I'm not quite sharp enough to hit top paces. 

Probably about 10s per mile off my peak but I'm hoping a month or so of good training will pull it back. 
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Well you defo dont want to be in top shape 15 weeks out, so be reassured that you have plenty of room for progression.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    It sounds like you've kept your racing form pretty well, DT.

6 with 8 sets of strides on Saturday and then 10 on Sunday.  It was a bit too warm for my tastes on Sunday, and I think running in the heat is definitely harder when heavier and less fit...
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I agree, Jools. First outing for the sleeveless t-shirt on Saturday. 16 miles with friends along various tow paths.
    Not sure if it was dodgy fish & chips the night before but I was feeling rough at times. All week I seemed to be breathing shallow as if I was only using the top of my chest. I think it as stress related (work has been busy) as I was OK when fully relaxed (especially with a beer!) and HR was fine. Could have done without it. Better now.

London campaign officially starts today. First focus is just getting the miles in as well as speedwork. The idea is to aim for a decent time at Kempton Park HM in August and then drill down on MP for the remaining weeks.

Looking forward to the excess weight falling off. Feel fat!
    Also ignoring the hamstring issues. just going to keep doing the strength work which happens in some form nearly every day now, and run through it.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Jools, yes I was caught short with the warmth yesterday. My race was a 1.30 start and my car thermometer had 20c on it as I parked up, not the 15c the forecast said.

Gdawg, I get that when I'm particularly stressed with work as well. Usually passes quickly enough though. 
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Campaign now underway. 7 miles last night made up of mile alternates, 7.1x and 6.4x pace (x3). Feeling fat and rusty but that's OK, it'll sort itself out.

Out again today for 8 easy in the heat. Picked a lumpier route so I could attack the downhill sections. I heard a radio item recently where they got runners to do hill training for a month. Half attacked the inclines, half attacked the descents. The latter gained more fitness and were stronger at the end of the experiment as they had worked more on the eccentric muscle contractions through downhill efforts.

I thought I would give this a go as it targets the hamstring areas I have issues with and it's something different to try.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Sounds interesting, GD.  Our local parkrun course has a very steep ascent and then descent (it's an out and back), and it always took me several attempts before my quads could cope with hammering the descent!

6M easy yesterday and 6M with 8 x strides this morning.  My hayfever has now kicked in properly.  Achoo!
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    I occasionally get itchy eyes but not full-on hayfever like others do. One of my lads gets it bad. I recently bought some Hay Max balm after a recommendation, that seems to help a bit.

8 lunchtime miles at easy pace on the trails. Scorchio! 
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    I get hay-fever in that I get a very dry and hot throat and generally feel tired, which is how I feel this week. 

Gdawg, those in and out miles you do are similar to the sessions I do, which seem quite popular recently. I know it's a staple format for you, but have you considered mixing them up a bit so you are working closer to half pace and recovering at mp? So about 6 20 and 6 50 for you and not necessarily a mile, you could do it in minutes or km etc. 

5m at mp Tuesday was tougher than usual with aching legs and being warmish. Tomorrow's session is now today to avoid silly temps and today's 8m easy will be tomorrow morning. 

I'm tentatively looking at Boston for next April, just trying to cost it up before I present to my wife. I assume the expo is open on the Sunday? Any thoughts on areas to stay where I can get reasonably priced accommodation but not have a mission on race day? 
  • Ian5Ian5 ✭✭✭
    DT-Yes expo open on Sunday until 6 I think.
    Anyone on the metro line is good as its easy to travel around,a lot stay in Quincy to avoid stupid prices.I found Air B&B to be a lot cheaper but to be honest everywhere is really expensive.
    If you're pricing it,have a look at Dublin,it was half the price of Manchester for me,and you clear US immigration at Dublin so treated as a local when you land,saves a long time.
  • DT19DT19 ✭✭✭
    Ian, thanks. Just looked at Quincy and a holiday Inn express with breakfast is 487 for 3 nights which is a pretty normal price.

My only concern flying out of Dublin is the extra layer of cock up opportunity getting to Dublin. 
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Yup, knackered and scratchy throat this end, plus sneezing a lot.  At least the grass pollen season is short!

5M easy this morning, then a walk to and from court for a hearing in an actual building.  Old skool.
  • G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    Spot on DT. Those alternate mile sessions evolve over the campaign where I do a Tuesday 10 mix up. Sometimes I do them as alternates of Easy/MP, others are 6.20 and 6.50 and sometimes I'll do 2 x 5 mile progressions with 10 sec uplift per mile from 7.1x to 6.3x.

Double day yesterday with 8 easy but hot miles before work then a track session in the evening, also hot! Mind you, we were lucky that s few clouds appeared and the temp got down to about 24 degrees. Session was 10 x 600m in 2.15 so around 6.0x pace. Possibly my best track session of the year, started to feel strong for a change. Work to do but a nice early campaign boost.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Good stuff Dawg. Ive noticed some hammy/glute improvement with a few drills a week, to stop all my plodding.

12th ish and 1st m50 at the Hayling Billy trail 5m race on wednesday in 31:12, no woozy or tight chest issues, so hopefully on the mend. Not sure what its worth on tarmac, but doesnt matter, just trying to get healthy and fit.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭
    DT I believe Dublin have special US immigration status so you clear immigration before departure and avoid queues in US. Cheapest hotel option is to share if you don't mind. Most US hotel doubl rooms have 2 big beds which worked for me this year. 
    Yes indeed sub 3 at 60 is a major goal. Meanwhile  enjoying my remaining V55 months. Ran the Blaydon Race recently (a famous NE race)- 36:02 for the 6 miler which measure 6.1 miles. Yesterday was the Masters NE track champs. I ran 2:24 for 800, 4:53 for 1500, and a laboured 18:41 5000 in the last race of the day. Picked up 2 V55 golds and a silver for my troubles. Main priority is to keep injury free for the next 6 months and maybe try a few BMAF events when I turn 60. That could be fun. 

• BadbarkBadbark ✭✭✭
    edited June 2022

It's fantastic to see so many running chums still posting in this thread! I haven't been around for a while but hope someone will enjoy a race report. They are always my favourite reads. :)

In 2021 I could have represented Northern Ireland in the 100k Celtic plate ultra. However, due to Covid_19 (and life in general) I just couldn’t be bothered putting the hours of training in. I’m 52 and thought my Ultra running days might be over.

I was still enjoying running but didn’t want it to take up too much of my life. I ran about 4 or 5 miles most mornings before work and around 10-15 on a Saturday (including a Parkrun).

Then a local marathon was advertised, so I began upping the mileage of my Saturday run. I worked up to 20 miles then ran a 3:08 marathon with a little left in the tank. This was the day before the Belfast Marathon and 7 weeks before the Safety Solutions 24-hr Ultra events.

I was very happy with managing 3:08 in a marathon, so decided to book the 100 mile race at the Safety solutions event. Over the next few weeks I upped my weekly mileage and ran 30, 35 and 40 miles on consecutive Saturday long runs.

Three weeks before the 100 mile race, I ran the Atlas Running Loop the Lough Ultra which measured 53.5 miles on my Garmin. I won the race in a course record of 6hrs 43mins. The week before the 100 I ran my fastest Parkrun in years (18:10) so knew I was in good shape.

The main event over the weekend was the 24-hr race but there was also a 50k, 24-hr relay and my event the 100 mile race. I have run 24-hrs a few times (140.7 mile PB) but have never run an exact 100 mile race. I felt my training wasn’t quite good enough for a good 24-hr performance but hoped I could manage a good 100 miles.

I looked at the NI & Ulster records for 12-hrs and 100 miles on the road before the event and thought I could break them both. I was shocked to find out that I held the 12-hr record for running 75 miles in 2016 at Victoria Park. The rules are daft as many people have run further in 12-hrs during a 24-hr event (including me – 78 in 2018). However to count, it has to be in a 12-hr race or have an official see your exact distance at 12 hours – and some other silly rules.

The 100 mile record for NI and Ulster was 15:28 which I hoped I could do. It wasn’t a strong record as I think it was recorded within 24-hr race. I held the 12-hr record on the road but the track (real) record was 84 miles. Having done almost 54 miles at 7:33 m/m pace I thought I had a chance to break both.

The evening before the race I went to Victoria Park to register and set up my little tent. I was informed that Bjorn was in my race and attempting a Norwegian record of 13:30 for 100 miles! I later found out he is the World record holder for distance run in 24-hrs on a treadmill.

I also found out that Ed was attempting to beat his 100 mile NI&U record within the 24-hr race. He had went past 100 miles last year in about 14:4x but it was not officially recorded due to the rules. This year they were going to make sure it would be official.

I asked the organisers to record my distance after 12-hrs as I thought I could break the record. They said they might need to get on a bike to keep up! J

So, at 12 noon we started the race. The 100 milers had a different start than the 24-hr race as we had to complete about 97.5 laps or Victoria Park to be exactly 100 miles. Of we went and straight away Bjorn surged ahead. My plan was an 8 m/m mile pace for as long as I could then go slower!

I’d run 54 miles at 7:33 m/m pace three weeks before so thought I could manage 65ish miles at 8 m/m then the race would really begin. This turned out to be completely true as I pretty much cruised to over 60 miles without any issues at all.

Despite Bjorn’s fast start he had never lapped me on the 1 mile course. Somewhere between 60-70 miles I caught up with him and went passed. He looked like he was struggling. OMG, I though, could I actually win the whole thing! I had run 100k in 8:20.

However, around this time I had a mix up with a friend and ran a few hours drinking only water when I had hoped for my homemade energy drink. I really started to struggle both mentally and physically. Bjorn cruised past me at about 8 m/m pace while I was struggling to manage 9 m/m.

I got my fuelling issues sorted and started to perk up again. It was about 11pm and I realised I had already run further than my 12-hr NI-U record. I had lapped Ed earlier but during my struggles he un-lapped himself, so I knew he wasn’t far behind. My goal was then to beat 84 miles in 12 hours for the Irish record.

I gave it all I had for a few miles and shouted to the organisers that I was on for an Irish record with a few miles to go. I went past the finished line but was disappointed to see no-one about – It was 11:55 and I kept hoping some official would catch me on a bike to record my distance. However, at 12:00 midnight no-one was close and I was totally gutted. My Garmin recorded 86.7 miles so I knew I had broken the Irish record but it will never count officially.

I still had a HM to go and was completely busted mentally and physically. The next few hours were some of the hardest I have ever run (and walked!) but I did keep pushing on. Before the race, I knew at some point I would be tested to the extreme, so that was what I was there for. Never give up and never give in.

Victoria Park is just over a mile long and when I had 6 laps to go Bjorn crossed the finish line in 13 hrs and 37 mins. Not quite a Norwegian 100 mile record but a fantastic run, especially after he struggled for a while.

Ed had also lapped me a few times after 12 hours and looked so strong even though he was doing 24 hours! The organisers were out to record him passing 100 miles to break the NI&U record by over an hour!

I finally made it to 100 miles after 14:48:22 and 2nd place. I broke the old 100 mile NI&U record but Ed managed 14:27 to break it by more. However, the silver lining for me is that I am officially the Northern Ireland 100 mile Champion 2022 and (unofficially) the NI record holder for 12-hrs and 100 miles. Ed’s from Donegal (which is in Ulster, but not in Northern Ireland) and pretty much holds all the real Irish and NI&U ultra records! He won the 24-hr event with 154 miles.

• G-DawgG-Dawg ✭✭✭
    What a read! What a great achievement! What a nutter!
    Madbark is back and what a way to return! Congratulations, Sir, absolutely brilliant! I've only done two ultras, a 33 miler and a 62 miler (100K), that was enough for me. I wanted to feel what the dark side of physical and mental fatigue felt like and I got it in spades. To know what you go through but even worse given the distance and pace you do is mind blowing!

Meanwhile in more humble endeavors, I moved my Tuesday 10 forward to last night as it was cooler than the rest of this week will be. Did alternate miles again but not with easy recoveries. Session was 6.4x pace off 7.1x pace float (x5).

Had to work a bit at times but hit all the splits (two were 6.34 and 6.37 which was a surprise) and averaged 6.57 for the session. Only mistake was not taking a drink as it was still warm and my throat was super parched.
    Really pleased as I couldn't get any session like that done in the weeks before Manchester due to being ill. Good start to campaign week 2 but work to do.
  • JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭
    Great stuff, Badbark.  An exciting read, and huge congratulations on the records!  It's interesting to note that came off such low recent mileage.  I guess with all those years of Madbark mileage it didn't take much work to bring you back to shape.

A steady 6 plodded for me.