Sub 3h15

Comments

• Ha ha! Funny, both of you image Congratulations for winning sommat nice Poacher!

Edit: Realised it was an x-post. I meant you were funny too MM! Just to prove it, can you post that dubious picture of your finishing that HM again image

• Blisters and beer wrote (see)

can you post that dubious picture of your finishing that HM again image

No
  • I think MM might be happy to post you a certain hat if you are lucky B&B...

Have you got the matching cherry shorts and singlet MM? If not you should certainly think about sourcing them for the full look...

Just completed 6/7 miles run over compacted snow and then through 2 feet of fresh stuff. it is f'ing hard work.

I am now about to enter the Watford half and Berko half in Feb and March next year before lining up a 20 miler sometime in April.

I wonder if it would be possible to race myself fit/train for a marathon in 2011 without Mrs AC noticing...?

Good luck with the travels Ant and nice comp win Poach.

Fingers - stay at it matey it'll come. Just try to run easy and bank some miles between now  and Dec 31 and then start the programme properly.

• Matchstick Man wrote (see)

Well done Poacher - can't beat some free Adidas kit that's what I say image

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs273.ash1/20048_252801026467_531206467_4426212_1209677_n.jpg

Anyone who follows @girlwhatruns on twitter will have suspicions as to where these fancy new trainers have come from... image
  • Congrats Poacher.

Some funny (ha ha) people on here. The festive season seems to bring out the best in people.

13.27 miles for me tonight.  8:26 av,  HR 73%.  Some nice easy parts and some stupidly difficult slippy parts. The busier pavements seem to be the worse to run on. The stats are pretty much bang on, the legs just feel it a little too much.

• FINgers - belated congrats from me as well.

Only a day away from here and it's all gone a bit doolally. With Keir I can understand that it's that "end of term" time, but everyone else?! 

Nice win on the shoes front Poacher - trust you'll be wearing them on the TT.

Oh, yeah and a bit of running done today as well. 6.7 miles on my circuit through the woods - still plenty of show on the ground, but at least the pavements were thawing out without any signs of freezing again.

Means I need another 50 miles between now and the end of the year to beat last year's mileage total - planning long ones on Xmas Eve and New Year's Eve so should get there.

• Evening all. Cold and icy here but no new snow. I did 5 miles of ice dodging tonight as didn't want to use up valuable petrol driving to and from the intervals session. Got to drive up to Newcastle on Thursday and it's always a nightmare-slow journey this time of year, even in good weather.

Christmas day will be a Parkrun. Never done one before so need to sort out the barcode thingie.

Nice win Poach. Congrats to FINgers.

Sleep now please. Work is evil.
  • "Believe we're gliding down the highway, when in fact we're slip sliding away..."

10 miles tonight in ridiculous conditions at 8:47mm, 126bpm. My knees don't like running on the uneven snow and rock hard, slippery ice but I made it home. As others have said, it certainly feels like more miles in these conditions but it must be good for some part of the body. Good effort on your 13 Scoobs. Are you doing all your running on the loop line at the moment? Same old dock road for me.

A.C wrote (see)
    I wonder if it would be possible to race myself fit/train for a marathon in 2011 without Mrs AC noticing...?
    We won't mention it.  And I'll pass on the hat, thanks. But not in the same way as MM did. Are any of those "A" races to be to the list, AC?

Good luck on your annual total, Lorenzo. How many is it?

Good luck on your annual total, Lorenzo. How many is it?

I managed just over 1950 (but not quite 2000) miles last year - think I'll be agonisingly close again this year.
  • FINgers - Congratulations on your news. Sahme you don't feel Brighton is a possibility. Was looking forward to meeting up with another forumite in a race.  I think the only other at the moment is Tony Hodge. Keep it cooking anyway… never say never!

Good work out in the snow there B&B - probably using muscles you normally wouldn't, a bit like 10 miles XC I think. That's the way I look at it when I'm running in the snow.

Ahh Poacher, you can't beat the smell of a pair of boxfresh shoes!

9.5 miles for me tonight.
    First 4 were 8.05 pace then the next 2 were at 7.02 pace, then another 1 mile at 7.55 pace then back down to 7.02 pace for the next 2 miles with a nice'n easy last half mile home. Was aiming to do 4 miles warm up then 4 miles straight at 7mm, but felt I was over cooking it a bit so decided to slip in a slower mile in between.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Some good evening sessions there from KR, B&B and Scooby.

Just refer to it as HM AC - she'll never catch on.  Or you could try the Poacher approach and take her on a weekend city breakimage

Nice win there Poacher - given the miles you're running they'll come in handyimage

Should have been a lunch-time sesion for me today but we've had boiler problems which I've been trying to sort out.    So bit of a battle with the CNBA fairy as evening aproached but finally managed to hit the gym treadmill at 8.15pm.  9 miles with the middle 5K at tempo pace, 6:34 m/m pace.  Hard work but feels all the better for having outflanked the CNBA fairyimage

• CC2 - Speedy Goth wrote (see)
    Christmas day will be a Parkrun. Never done one before so need to sort out the barcode thingie.
    Register, print it off, cut it down to a manageable size, then protect it so it doesn't disintegrate when it gets wet. Laminating is best, but you can put it in a small ziplock bag, put it on some card and wrap it with sellotape, put it in a pass holder, whatever springs to mind really. I laminated mine and just pin it to my vest like a number.

A grand total of 13 turned up at the club tonight, so we organised some team relays around one of the cricket pitches. The coach had sort of cleared a track in the snow, but it actually left it quite bumpy and inconsistant, so not a time for flat-out running, although it wasn't too bad in trail shoes. Ended up with 3 x 4 x 200m. No idea about times - I'd left my watch switched on after I charged it and so it was completely flat. Was definitely quite out of breath at the end of each set however.
  • MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Good to read some successful battling of the CNBA fairy!

SBD - quick question about when you switched from the P&D Up to 55 schedule to the next one up in terms of mileage. Which week did you do it and did you just move straight from week x in the first schedule to week x+1 (or whichever week it was) in the second schedule? I suspect my LSR is more at the lower level, in particular as I am injury prone, but feel like I could contemplate the mid-week regime of the higher schedule and wondering whether it is worth trying it.
  • knight rider wrote (see)

FINgers - Congratulations on your news. Sahme you don't feel Brighton is a possibility. Was looking forward to meeting up with another forumite in a race.  I think the only other at the moment is Tony Hodge. Keep it cooking anyway… never say never!

Never fear KR - I'm still on for Brighton but need to do a bit of a rethink on how I'm going to get ready to catch the 3:10 train.

Currently I'm toying with the idea of taking a risk and bumping the mileage up in January by adding 5miles every morning by jumping off the train early. That will put an extra 25miles in the bag so at least I've got something done each day. If I jump off 2 stops early I can get 8miles in before work. Quality in the past has been done in the evening by running part/all the way home but those are the sessions that I'm struggling with at the moment - work is pretty hectic and so even an hour later at work means I don't get home till 8:30-9pm ish, so not a lot of quality at home time left, I'll work it out I'm sure.

• Well done for getting it done, SBD. And at an excellent pace too.

It's hardly surprising people CNBA in this weather, it's not very inspiring unless you live out in the countryside and even then most of our running has to be done in the dark, with the alternative being the treadmill. I thought fairies were supposed to be nice so maybe it's more of a CNBA pixie, masquerading as a fairy. It's the kind of thing they get up to.

FINgers - You can always try the train run to see how you get on. Sounds like a good idea if work's getting in the way. The last thing you want to do is give over all your home quality time, which is likely to cause ructions with your other half at a time when you should be all lovey and excited!

Good running from you BOTF, whatever pace it was and from KR too.

• Nice to see people getting out and about, Loz at his usual Lorenzo'clock, Decent dreadmill there by SBD, Scoobs battling the curly perms, and B&B's 10 miler, but KR how the hell did you manage 7mm?  I'd be arse over tit if I tried it here. 
    Ran home from work last night 8.4m and could only manage a slippery trudge of 9:02mm. A bit better this morning on the way to work all the snowy snot and slush was frozen, 5.8m 8:34mm.

Refuelled instantly on arrival at work as a colleague went to the local cafe to fetch a round of bacon and sausage sandwichesimage, then I had toasted crumpets for seconds. 

Lorenzo, I'm some way behind you on the mileage front although I have passed my milestone of 1500 miles for the year this week.  The most I have ever run, & the first year I've ever logged it.

• Nice tempo run on the dreadmill, SBD.

Congratulations, FINgers, on your news.  Getting off the train early sounds like a good plan, but I'm not so sure about adding 25 extra miles in one big hit.

Sounds like a good session KR.

BOTF - pleased you can still get out running with your club mates, or at least the ones who could make it.

I did some core stability work this morning. Nice and early again, as I went to have a hair cut, and popped to Tesco's too, before breakfast.

x-post. Windy. Bacon and sausage sandwiches and crumpets too!! Yum yum.

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

Congratulations, FINgers, on your news.  Getting off the train early sounds like a good plan, but I'm not so sure about adding 25 extra miles in one big hit.

Cheers! I think to be honest it probably would never be the full 25miles as the way things are at work at the moment at least one other session usually gets canned at short notice, but by getting the 25 in early doors it gives me at least some guananteed miles each week.

• FINgers wrote (see)
    Currently I'm toying with the idea of taking a risk and bumping the mileage up in January by adding 5miles every morning by jumping off the train early.

What a brilliant idea.

9.4m @7:10mm this morning in pelting rain. Felt tired in the legs and think the body is asking when Christmas is. I paid no attention and went off to gym afterwards.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Gul - am I right in thinking you are in Norfolk? Norwich perhaps? We are heading that way tomorrow for Christmas and I am wondering what the weather is doing as I am hoping to fit in my scheduled runs over the weekend.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭
    MsE wrote (see)
     SBD - quick question about when you switched from the P&D Up to 55 schedule to the next one up in terms of mileage. Which week did you do it and did you just move straight from week x in the first schedule to week x+1 (or whichever week it was) in the second schedule? I suspect my LSR is more at the lower level, in particular as I am injury prone, but feel like I could contemplate the mid-week regime of the higher schedule and wondering whether it is worth trying it.
    MsE - From memory I started straight on the 55-70 schedule having tried out the first week as a dry run to see if I could cope with the mileage.  It was probably not a sensible startegy as I'd only run a maximum of 40 miles per week before that and I did get a lot of niggles during the training.  If you feel you're injury prone it might be prudent to stick with the lower mileage schedule or at least be cautious on the paces as you increase mileage and make sure the recovery runs are run as recovery runs.
  • Managed 11.2 miles yesterday: 5.58 miles in, 5.62 miles home but struggled to get out of bed this morning and having run into work have realised that I am struck down with this chest infection / cough that everyone else in the family / workplace has. Time for some downtime over Christmas then! No point trying to continue being a hero in these conditions feeling like this so will hop that some R&R over the next few days will work wonders
  • Some good running going on folks, battling snow and closing gyms. Just a quick note to send you all Christmas wishes. Off to Brussels (with luck) tomorrow morning, and despite working in the business, will be gratefully disconnecting from the net until 27th at least. I've shifted the cold and am back running with 7 miles on the treadie this morning in a deserted gym, plodding along to Frasier (!), but we'll have to see how my Innov8 315s cope with Belgian city snow. No-one has any yaktrax in stock round here, though they sound a great idea. So I may yet just hit the target 1500 for the year too Windy. I'm definitely planning a sneaky run on Christmas morning, I'll try and do an audio recording to prove it!

Toodle pip.

• Hi MsE. I'm on the other side of Norfolk in King's Lynn, 40-odd miles west of Norwich. It's fine here at the moment, in fact we haven't had much snow at all compared to the rest of the country, but I think there's still snow around the further east you travel. I'm sure the main roads (ha! ha!) will be okay, but if you're heading out into the country lanes it could be a bit tricky. Hope you have a good Christmas and find somewhere suitable for running.
  • Have a nice time in Brussels, luna man. Good to hear you're over the cold. Can't wait for the audio recording of "crunch, crunch, crunch". Might not make the hit parade!

Sorry to hear he's passed it onto you MM. Best time to have an excuse for not running, I'd say.

MsE - Is there a need to attempt the higher mileage schedule? Am I right in thinking you've not really, up to now, followed a pure running schedule? If not, I'm positive the <55 will make a huge difference to both pace and endurance. No point putting extra stress on both body and life, IMO.

• Forced myself out of bed at 5.15 for another 6.7 miler through the woods - encouragingly I was a minute quicker than yesterday despite the underfoot conditions being a bit slushier.

Am hoping that the slightly sore throat I seem to have at the moment isn't the start of something more serious but will adopt the MM approach and have a rest day tomorrow to be on the safe side before heading out for another long off road run on Christmas Eve.

Am still concentrating on getting as many miles in my legs as possible, rather than speedwork which is just as well in the current conditions.

Like others on this thread I'm in charge of the kitchen arrangements on Christmas (including telling my mother-in-law what she should be doing - ha! ha!) but I might try and sneak out for a quick run just so that I can justify that extra portion of bread sauce image

• MsE, don't be alarmed, but it's just started snowing image

Lorenzo; nice early morning woodland run. "Dear Santa, please bring me lots more miles in my legs..."

• Matchstick Man wrote (see)
    Time for some downtime over Christmas then! No point trying to continue being a hero in these conditions feeling like this so will hop that some R&R over the next few days will work wonders
    Never have wiser words been said.

Have a nice time in Brussels, luna man. Good to hear you're over the cold. Can't wait for the audio recording of "crunch, crunch, crunch". Might not make the hit parade!

Hit parade - what decade are you in B&B? Still intrigued what the audio will sounds like.
    Crunch, crunch, wheez.

Lorenzo - will you be getting up at 5.00am Christmas morning to get your run in before present time?

Blisters and beer wrote (see)

Have a nice time in Brussels, luna man. Good to hear you're over the cold. Can't wait for the audio recording of "crunch, crunch, crunch". Might not make the hit parade!

Sorry to hear he's passed it onto you MM. Best time to have an excuse for not running, I'd say.

MsE - Is there a need to attempt the higher mileage schedule? Am I right in thinking you've not really, up to now, followed a pure running schedule? If not, I'm positive the <55 will make a huge difference to both pace and endurance. No point putting extra stress on both body and life, IMO.

Gul Darr wrote (see)

Lorenzo; nice early morning woodland run. "Dear Santa, please bring me lots more miles in my legs..."

LOL!

SBD - good treadie 9 miler there and a great 5k paced section as well.

A load of snow has been dumped on us here in the East Midlands overnight - a good 3-4 inches. So it looks like it will be a Gul style multiple laps of the local park tomorrow night in the dark.

• Just catching up on this thread, it never ceases to amaze me the speed this thing moves..

MsE: Stick with the lower mileage, but maybe add in cross training to increase the exercise/decrease the injury risk.

MM: Good miles your getting in, but think you deserve a christmas break now, enforced by illness or not! 

Lorenzo: Hats off to you for being able to run at that time of the morning!

8 Miles on the Treadie again last night @ 8:05 M/M, still sticking to the P & D plan, getting bored of treadmills now though, and it looks like at least the next 4 sessions will be on there before I risk running on the slush/ice/snow.