Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options

PMJ - Bags have you on my side in any Trivial Pursuit game - ridiculous knowledge!!!

The vagaries of training - tuesdays' flat 8 miles at 7.45 per mile felt really hard, yet yday's session which I set up on the dreadmill to do 8 hilly miles (gradient of 2 to 7% - avg 3.5%) felt really easy and came out at 7.50 per mile.....mmmmm. 16 mile M/L SR planned this arvo - nice and easy 8.30 pace per mile planned...

• Options
    Gul Darr wrote (see)
    10 out of 10, Philip. But of course no-one ever runs exactly 42,195m for a marathon image  (and in any case I thought it was exactly 26 miles 385 yards?)
    No, we went metric, see http://www.bcathletics.org/main/rr_iaaf.htm

Road Races

1. The standard distances for men and women shall be 10km, 15km, 20km, Half-Marathon, 25km, 30km, Marathon (42.195km), 100km and Road Relay.

• Options
    Hello geek central!

10 house points to PMJ!

And quality effort on your long run with a special mention to Keir for a gruelling sounding track session.

Steady, yet hilly 6miles for me last night, a swim tonight methinks to shelter from the wind and rain.

MsE, has the move stress/chaos settled down a bit today? Do you have a target date yet?

(Mopes back to work still shaking head at newborns with earrings in...?!)
  • Options

PMJ - Oh no, that means my calculations have been based on a distance which is over 7 millionths of a mile out!
    Rat - too many variables to figure it all out, but well done anyway.
    SJ - is that in a swimming pool or are you crossing the bay again? image

• Options

PMJ & Kier - very impressive sessions!

PMJ - very impresive stats!

Bit of a strange run for me last night - the first 5 miles were a real struggle, couldn't get my HR up and struggling to get much below 8:30 per mile. Then there's a big hill at the halfway point which I struggled up, but then when I hit the flat on the other side I realised I was now running between 7:00 - 7:15, and that my HR was still just below long run levels and that it was pretty comfortable. Maybe it was a hangover from the hill session on Tuesday or maybe the fact it was very cold and it just took me a long time to warm up, but the run ended up being 10.37 miles @ 7:45 average, but it really was a tale of two halves.

• Options
    Gul Darr wrote (see)

PMJ - Oh no, that means my calculations have been based on a distance which is over 7 millionths of a mile out!

We don't worry too much about that, but on the track the extra ~7.7 m per lane is a lot. If you are doing 6 m/m pace (~ 4.5 m/s) then this is 1.7 seconds a lap and at ~4 laps a mile this is 7 seconds a mile.

Interestingly, the 7.7m is 2π*1.22. If you put a rope round the whole world and then lifted it up by 1.22m, then you only need an extra 7.7m of rope. People assume you need a lot more.

• Options
    Yes, if you don't think about it too much then you would guess more (a lot more) than 7.7m! Of course, the Earth isn't a perfect sphere...
    BOTF - I find I do much better if I warm up slowly.
  • Options
    Indeed PMJ, I had planned to do just that and have previously assumed that 117.452 metres extra would be required. I'll make the required alterations to my fiendish plan... Bwahahaha
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    "Interestingly, the 7.7m is 2p*1.22. If you put a rope round the whole world and then lifted it up by 1.22m, then you only need an extra 7.7m of rope. People assume you need a lot more."

- WTF????
  • Options
    Assuming the length of rope forms a circle, then its length is twice the radius multiplied by pi. So if you lift it up 1.22m, thereby increasing the radius by the same amount, then the required length to complete the circle would increase by 2 x 1.22 x pi, which is approximately 7.7m.
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    I've got a nose bleed and my brain aches.
  • Options
    My brain is bleeding. Anyone fancy a pint?
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    This reminds me of a episode of 'Think Again' with Johnny Ball, where he told the audience he had taken a length of rope all around the world and had both ends in the studio. When he pulled on one end, the other end moved away and vice versa.

Amazing. How did he do that? He must have been very strong.
  • Options

There's some brainy people on here, PMJ, if I'm ever on who wants to be a millionaire, can you be my “phone a friend”?

Johnny Ball was brilliant and very enthusiastic, he was very motivational and would have been a brilliant teacher. I think each school has someone like him. Ours was Mrs Crooks the French teacher, she was the lessons both fun & educational.

• Options
    Gul Darr wrote (see)
    Assuming the length of rope forms a circle, then its length is twice the radius multiplied by pi. So if you lift it up 1.22m, thereby increasing the radius by the same amount, then the required length to complete the circle would increase by 2 x 1.22 x pi, which is approximately 7.7m.

Such restraint, the temptation to say delta must have been enormous, and s**t I just said it.

Very windy this far south today, temporary  traffic signs getting blown all over the place, hope you people further up are managing.

• Options
    It's blowing really hard up here, white caps on the sea, sand whipping along the beach, and looking inland the Cheviot is covered in white stuff.  Minni must be having fun up in the sticks.
  • Options

My head hurts. image    The last two pages remind me of my A-Level Maths days (and not in a good way)!!!!

Good running though everyone.  Pleased PMJ that 6.45 is getting comfortable and you haven't even started marathon training yet.

Excellent reps Keir.  You need to get in a fast 5k soon to make use of that speed.

Back to steady running again.  5m on Tues, 5.6m yesterday and 3.7m at lunch as part of my first ever double day.  Bloody windy out there though.  Pace varied between 6.5x with wind behind me (with minimal effort) to 9.xx when into the wind (much more effort).

• Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    That better, a 5 mile windy lunchtime run seems to have untangled my brain.
  • Options
    Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Such restraint, the temptation to say delta must have been enormous, and s**t I just said it.

Strangely enough, no. I am just a geek, you are the uber-genius! Johnny Ball visited younger GDette's school last year and she really enjoyed it.

Pleased to hear you're making steady progress Martin; a double too!

Not too windy here; just as well as we've got the roofers in at the moment!

• Options

After golfer Jesper Parnevik won an event a few years ago, he was asked at a press conference what he and his caddie had discussed over the final few holes. His answer? The very same 'stretching a rope round the world' question that has been so comprehensively answered in the last couple of pages...

I am in awe of some of the pre-Christmas training on here, I am just running some easy 'base' mileage (9.5 for my 'long' run this week) in advance of starting my marathon programme (on Boxing Day, although I am mentally trying to gauge the family's reaction to my nipping out for 'a quick run' on Christmas morning...)

Happily, the October/November speedwork seems to have meant that my perceived effort level of 'easy' seems to have got a bit quicker- easy miles now averaging around 7.50 pace.

• Options

7 miles with 3.4 miles at threshold for me this lunch time.  6:30m/m downwind comfortably and 7:10 m/m hard upwind

The UK's most visible and one of the least efficiently placed wind turbine in Green Park, Reading was actually earning its keep today. But our wind have peaked in propbably mid-20 mph and are dying down now.

• Options

/members/images/83537/Gallery/DSC01686_-_copia.JPG

Now watching "Gone with the wind" on the sofa. You just can't beat a day off, can ya, eh?

• Options

I wouldn't know about the diameter of the world and such like - but I do so love fluffy puppies and kittens

I bet you enjoyed those sessions brushing up on your pronouns down at the language lab with Mrs Crooks KR image

Now that I've lowered the intellectual and moral tone a couple of notches I bid you adieu ladies and gents

• Options
    Oh come on, given the quantity of brussels sprouts in Ant's picture there are some brilliant 'Gone With the Wind' gags just waiting to be made...  Fraser: you've let the thread down but most importantly of all, you've let yourself down image
  • Options

Good point Jools - I have to say the sheer quantity of sprouts Ant had knocked up was very impressive and did (as a devoted sprout hater) catch my eye and - I have to admit - slightly give me "the boak" (as they say up here).

Presumably you enjoy a good colonic cleansing on a regular basis Ant

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    That explains the blustery weather hitting the UK at the moment Ant.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Poacher it's wild over here and yes the hills are completely white. In fact right now it's White in the town too. Glad it's a non running day for me. Had planned a walk on your beach tomorrow but that may have to be put off.
  • Options

You beat me to it with that one liner Keir!
    Is that just a snack for you Ant?

Good the running coming back Martin

• Options
    What does it say on your pinny Ant? All I can read is TOSA image
  • Options
    MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    SJ - Hsjfb%726%%£@*&£dbc*(W*kadk&@^£*&sdc (the current state of my brain with all that needs doing while juggling the kids and dog and Christmas shenanigans. And trying to work out when to run.)