Sub 3h15

Comments

• Minni it's really foul on the coast, I wouldn't bother.

Nice sprouts Ant, they are the king of vegetables.  image  We're very excited about picking our own fresh on christmas day.  Jerusalem artichokes are much windier anyway

CNBA today - didn't seem any point trying to do proper training in this wind. 10 days to next mara, it had better calm down.

• Nice meal Ant - impressed by the way you've already got the next glass of wine poured and waiting for you.

On the subject of maths, is it time to introduce the golden ratio yet?

Hope the wind dies down a bit before tomorrow - I've got a late start as I'm at an offsite meeting not far from home starting at 10.00, so hoping to get a long run in first thing. Might even be a 20 miler if I'm lucky.

• That wind really is quite something today, not sure if it is entirely sprout related? It was gusting about 60 - 80mph up here. I was going a little stir crazy in the house and couldn't get to the gym because the bridge has been closed all day. The police were even advising 'everyone to stay indoors all day' which is the kind of thing you used to hear on Tom & Jerry cartoons when there was a crazy axe-murderer on the loose.

So obviously I decided to go out for a run. Heading into the wind for 3miles felt like I was working really hard without moving much. Managed to dodge a few falling branches, sliding wheely bins and the occassional air-borne pet. At points there was the comical sight of me moving my arms and legs wildly in a swinging motion whilst virtually standing still. Then on the turnaround it was like being repeatedly thrown out of a nightclub by a bouncer and I was striding like a triple-jumper. An interesting experience and as is often the case not actually that bad once you get out the front door.

It made me wonder though, given that you are a pretty hardy bunch, what are worst conditions you have ever run in and are there any situations in which you wouldn't even consider venturing out?

• I refuse to hold myself responsible for any wind you lot are suffering...

I thought the pic was self-explanatory, but let me clear up one or two things: that was lunch for me, Mrs. Ant and Mrs. Ant's mum, i.e. three people, so not that many sprouts, surely! That other glass of wine was for Mrs. Ant - not even I have two on the go at once! And the apron says "Toscana", a souvenir from my summer hols.

B.t.w. I did a very nice 7 miles this morning...

Keith - I hate running in really windy conditions, but if you've got to go out, you've got to go out...I think the worst weather I've ever been out in was a hailstorm with stones the size of golf balls. I had to hide under a bridge til it relented.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo wrote: On the subject of maths, is it time to introduce the golden ratio yet?

I once saw a video where a lady was introducing that. Most shocking.

Do you have 100 Marathon club aspirations Poacher, or are you just nuts?

• Home-grown sprouts for us too Poacher on Christmas Day hopefully.

A very tasty looking bird Ant.image

Keith - I remember my worst ever conditions.  It was on a 20 mile run in February 3 years ago.  It was windy, rainy and cold when we started (Mrs H on her bike).  Gradually it got windier and colder until the rain turned into a sort of sleety/snowy/hail type substance that was coming at us vertically.  After about 16 miles Mrs H refused to go any further as we passed her parent's house.  I was left to run the last 4 miles home on my own (stubborn and refusing to quit) while she got a lift home, bike and all, from her Dad.  She still has shivers just thinking about it!!!!

Second part of my first ever double done tonight.  5.33 miles bringing the total for today to 9 miles.  

• Keir - I knew that if anyone was going to make that innuendo, it'd be you! And they ask whether maths is an art or a science?
  • Poacher wrote (see)
    It's blowing really hard up here, white caps on the sea, sand whipping along the beach, and looking inland the Cheviot is covered in white stuff.  Minni must be having fun up in the sticks.
    I love real stormy seasides. There's something about the waves and how strong the sea can be.

Keith, never been stopped from going out due to the weather, only find it tough in races as it can have a bit effect on your result, whereas in training, it's training. I think it's good to expereince all kinds of conditions.

Nice double Martin how did it feel?

We liked Mrs Crooks better Fraser as the other, Peter Green was odd. Infact when you translate his name into French you get Pierre Vert (pervert).

10 miles tonight in relatively calm weather and an av. pace of 7.57.

• Have been trying to catch up but gave up! So much good running going on here - certainly motivates me to (try) and keep up!
    As for weather I hate drizzly fine rain, don't mind if it is really lashing down. Been quite lucky with the weather this year for races - only had 1 XC where it tipped it down.
    Mind you some of the wind people are experiencing might give me pause.

Main frustration at the moment is being stuck away at work and might not make it back for Portsmouth grrrr image

• Off to Blackpool for the weekend so looking forward to some windy conditions along the prom.

Great running from PMJ and Keir,  and well done for getting out Keith.  Don't mind drizzly rain especially when racing. Off web for a few days so good luck to any racers this weekend.

• Keith11 wrote (see)
    It made me wonder though, given that you are a pretty hardy bunch, what are worst conditions you have ever run in and are there any situations in which you wouldn't even consider venturing out?

Can't think of a time when the conditions have stopped a run: I have run through a town centre wearing  x-country spikes with deep snow on the pavements, strong winds (and had to change a route because I didn't fancy the cliff top path), rain, hail (though have to admit that hail stones hurt and like Ant I have taken cover and waited for the big ones to go away), cold down to -18 C, heat and humidity in Southern USA, raging hangovers on the last day of army camp and having to do the fitness test.

The worst I have raced in actually looked OK, it was a x-country in Cambridge and the temperature was just below zero and there had been a flurry of snow  but the day was clear so nothing too bad, but the course was through ploughed fields so there were ruts where the tractor had been and in the most these ruts were the fast and firm route but every so often you would find a place where there was a puddle with a layer of ice and a sprinkle of snow on top and your foot goes through and then you pull it out back through the ice and lacerate your ankle. At the time I was young and fast so in the leading pack and it was a lottery to see who took their chances. 

• Ant - did you stuff the chicken?
    BIkeIt! nice tempo run.
    Lorenzo - 20 miler before work? That would be some going.
    Keith - well done on getting though unscathed.
    KR - yes, he was never quite the same after leaving Fleetwood Mac.
    Very easy 3 miles for me this morning @ 8:48m/m.
  • Doing a double day actually felt quite easy.  Although both runs were at a slow pace and the mileage not too high so nothing too special.  I was looking to test my knee a little more by doing two shorter runs instead of one longer run.  All ok so far.

And on a different running related theme....I've been chosen to run a leg of the Olympic torch relay next year.  image 

• Nice one Martin - tell more. When and where?

Keir - no and no, didn't you do 26.2 as a training run too?

Minni - wind much less, although colder. Beautiful sunrise over the sea - turned into a nice day for a walk in fact, if wrapped up well.

Surely the worst running weather is heat - have done 2 maras flat out in about 28 degrees C which is nasty. Almost convinced I was going to die of a heart attack both times.

Right, off for a run now

• That's great, Martin.  Congratulations!
  • Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)
    Now track measurements are interesting ....

Wanna bet?

Exciting news, Martin.  But are you prepared to endure hilarious "don't let it go out" quips from every single person you know?

(only joking, PMJ)

• Great news Martin! How are you going to make your leg the most memorable of all of them? Need any comedy suggestions from the thread?
  • Wow, Martin, that's really exciting - shame they won't let you do about 10k each, isn't it?

Gul - No, I didn't stuff the chicken, decided to keep things simple - though I did make a lemon meringue pie for dessert which, even though I say it myself, was a little bit tasty.

Gym today, and it felt good to get back in the pool after not having done so for a couple of weeks. I love listening to Football Weekly from the Guardian while on the bike, too.

• My mile leg will be on Tuesday 3rd July somewhere between Leicester and peterboro. My mum nominated me last year and after going through a couple of stages finally got the offer yesterday. Just got to pass a background check.
    Unfortunately it doesn't look as though I will be able to so anything to jazz it up (s orry to disappoint). Very surprised to be chosen but very proud of the fact I have. Hopefully will be able to get some good local publicity for Wishes 4 Kids the charity I run for.
    Biggest worry is the potential to drop it and embarrass myself in front of the whole nation!!!!
  • Congratulations Martin. Will you be getting the purple paint out again?
    Poacher - have to agree about the heat. Anything over 16C or so is uncomfortable for me - 28C is just ridiculous!
    Ant - lemon meringue almost makes up for the lack of stuffing.

x-post That's a shame, Martin.

• Congrats Martin - really will be one of those once in a lifetime opportunities. My old man nominated me but found out yesterday that i didn't make the cut. Must say though I'm not that surprised - not sure the things I have done would warrant such an honour. Still it would have been great to do. Enjoy it. image

Have managed to get out running the last three days and no problems with our little girl so far. Sleeping very well apart from waking up for her feeds- she's a little diamond!

As for men during childbirth.... I was very close to passing out twice and had to leave the room. This was mainly down to just seeing my wife in so much pain. I'm not that keen on the sight of blood but seeing my wife hurting so much was what nearly sent me over the edge. I really had to tell myself to HTFU!

Looked like you tucked into a lovely bird there ant. Looked very moist indeed! image Not a fan of sprouts - all the flavour of a cabbage (which I like) condensed into something slightly larger than the size of a pea.

Worse conditions running - wind and heat are both pretty horrendous. My first marathon in Hamburg it was 29 degrees at the finish. Ouch.,..
  • Well done Martin an amazing experience I'm sure and I doubt you'll drop it!
    RJ I know what you mean about childbirth - my two were one of my most amazing experiences but probably most traumatic too!
  • Martin - That's AMAZING news and very well done on getting to hold the Olympic Torch, definite story to dine out on that one

RJ - now that your wife has given birth and you've both been through it I can say it's not easy to be a helpless twunt in the corner is it? Our first was presenting back-to-back and after a couple of hours or pushing and getting nowhere the decision was made to pull her out with (basically) very big salad tongs. Not the best experience in the world tbh but it makes you realise just what double-hard b4rstards women are doesn't it?
    2nd one shot out and hasn't really slowed down since image

• ah yes, running - forgot for a moment amongst sprouts, babies, Laura Ashley shrines and fire-carrying that we are supposed to be talking about running.

I'm coming to the end of week 12 of what is a "base building" phase for next year. First 'A' target is Wokingham in about 10 weeks time so the idea was to come out of the injury I had at the end of summer and get back to running slowly and carefully and approach goal weekly mileage.
    Following numbers indicate weekly miles and in brackets the long run

Week 1 - 24.08 (5.08)
    Week 2 - 15.23 (4.08)
    Week 3 - 25.73 (6)
    Week 4 - 30.86 (7)
    Week 5 - 34.4 (10.17)
    Week 6 - 39.42 (8.04)
    Week 7 - 33.97 (10.3)
    Week 8 - 44.94 (12)
    Week 9 - 47.51 (13.1)
    Week 10 - 49.37 (14)
    Week 11 - 52.04 (10)
    Week 12 - 49.91 (14)

No "quality" sessions at all until week 6 and even then the workouts haven't gone any quicker than HM pace in terms of intensity: they've been "steady", MP or HMP. Since week 6 I've done 1 x "quality" session a week and also done a xc race in weeks 6,7,8 and 11.
    Days off - since week 4 I've had just one day a week off and week 11 (last week) I didn't have any although truth be told I am tired at this latter end of week 12! Cut-back week planned next week to absorb the training done to date.

I know it's not in the Joolska territory of mileage but I'm pretty pleased with the consistent consistency of it all

• Martin H wrote (see)

And on a different running related theme....I've been chosen to run a leg of the Olympic torch relay next year.  image 

Congrats Martin, but come on Keir, there has to be a joke somewhere in there, I was hunting for one but the only one that comes to mind is very unPC nowadays and involves the leper relay.

MM, very solid training there and reminds me i need to enter the Wokingham half as well. Glad to see you nailed your intent high and clear on the entry as well, but a bit worrying to see 70 people already sub 80 when last year there were only 64 finishers that fast.

Did an easy 5 at lunch but the Thames was high so it turned out to be a literally knee deep wade in places so add that one to the list of  dumb places and weathers to run in.

• Philip_M_Jones wrote (see)

MM, very solid training there and reminds me i need to enter the Wokingham half as well. Glad to see you nailed your intent high and clear on the entry as well, but a bit worrying to see 70 people already sub 80 when last year there were only 64 finishers that fast.

I've got a 5mile on Jan 2nd locally which is flat, fast and traffic free (round Warwick Uni campus) so that will give me a better indication of my current fitness than anything else. A HM in 80m00s means 6m07s miling which means I should go through 5 miles in 30m35s/10miles in 61m10s and finish with a 5k of 18m59s.
    With 5 mile PB of 29-08 and 5k of 17-54 from this summer I reckon I'm in with a shout but I'd like to see a short 29min 5 mile time in the New Year to convince me I've got the speed to go for it.
    I did a promising HM workout 2 weeks ago (6 x 0.5mile reps) which indicated somewhere around 80mins but I won't be setting anything in stone until I'm a lot closer to the event.

currently my PB sits at 84-08 from Wokingham this year so to take off approx. 4mins is a big ask but you've got to aim high image

• I love brussels sprouts - though I only ever eat them on Christmas day.....not sure why...

16 miles duly completed yesterday on dreadmill - 8.30 per mile - so nice relaxed pace.....have 8 mile recovery planned tonight to bring up 61 miles for the week. Third week in a row in the 60s and I feel ok....

MM - Very solid base there, and very sensible planning over last weeks - sets you up well for this year...

Martin - Congrats, a great honour...   

• Matchstick Man wrote (see)
    I've got a 5mile on Jan 2nd locally which is flat, fast and traffic free (round Warwick Uni campus) so that will give me a better indication of my current fitness than anything else.
    I used to run for Warwick University Staff Running Club when I was a research fellow there. I found a track of the course online and I think it may be a little deceptive with a few sharps turns and narrowish paths but agree it is pretty flat and with Godiva runners you have some fast boys to pace against.
  • Martin - splendid stuff. I assume you're watching Chariots of Fire on a daily basis now. Are you going to get a support crew to film it for you

MM - solid stuff Sir. Are you still under Moraghan's wing ? I got mighty close to the 80 last year...but not quite there. As you say it's a toughie and needs a good course and a good day. All the best with it

RJ - was amused to see you mentioned you necked a couple of gels to see you thro the labour. Can't be too many dads-to-be who nip out for a quick Go gel halfway through the process. The midwives prob thopught you'd well and truly lost the plot. Glad things are going smoothly for you all

Sprouts - evil little nasty things. Still have memoriesd of my mum forcing me to eat "just one" on Christmas day and it runing the whole meal - what a brat

Just done 9as - 3 easy/3 steady/3 MP. MP miles just under 6.30 but didn't feel too ridiculous. Don't think MP will be that come May next year but nice to be getting a few quicker miles in pre Xmas

Spent evening yesterday messing about patching up wind damaged fencing in the garden.It really was quite biblical up here so wouldn't have been running anyway - though I did see one lunatic (probably Lorenzo on a Northern excursion) out pounding the streets inspite of it. He was also in small shorts - rock 'ard....

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Martin image  Olympic Torch!

Poacher ran here before heading down to the Coast and had lunch in the Joiners Arms, which must be practically next door to you?  Very nice it was too followed by an afternoon of pampering at a nearby country hotel.  image   I wondered if you were fancying the Simonside Fell race on Sunday?