Sub 3h15

Comments

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Congrats Martin.

You not doing the North East VC champs this w/end then Minni?

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Er, nope OO!  I've just read that Simonside maybe cancelled due to ice. image 
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Congratulations MartinH that is a great privilege, so many great Olympian athletes have carried the torch and just think you have one over the legend that is Mohammed Ali because I'm pretty sure he didn't run a mile as well! (Although he's still the greatest.)

8.5 miles for me tonight with 7 at MP using heart rate as a guide, keeping it between 80and 87% of max. So averaged 7.06 mm pace at 85% on one of my hillier routes. Not going to set the world alight but pretty pleased with that at this time of year.

Just got to go a little faster for another 19.2 miles....easy!
  • OK, the maths bit broke my head and I failed to absorb anything after that. Whaaaat????

Ice has arrived here. Had to walk the steep downhill, very, very carefully. Grrrr. Might be treadmill time.
  • Burn baby Burn it's a disco inferno - really pleased for you Martin, as a Phoenix it will be quite apt! Will you be running it eyeballs out @ 5.45 mm pace?

3 weeks of 60 plus mileage Rat - very solid

Impressive 12 week period of running MM, hope this sets you up well for Wokingham. What sort of pace are you running your LSR in comparison to your HM target pace?

• Hmmm, during my 4mile recovery run this morning I was running along a line in the road and noticed that both feet were landing on the line, meaning both legs swing back in which I would imagine puts lateral forces on my legs and probably explains why I get pains in my shins and have tight calves. With great mental effort I managed to get my feet wider apart, bit it felt a bit weird. Has anyone else noticed this with their own line running antics?
  • Yes I'm still being coached by Moraghan.
    My pace is still over 8m00s/mile for pretty much all of my running and my long runs are well into 8m30's as I run with others and its just a nice bimble. Last week 40 out of my 50+miles were done at well over 8m00 pace as an example.
    I did do a solo long run the other week which was just about acceptable pace wise: 13.1 miles in 98mins but really I doubt I could keep that pace up week in week out without breaking down.
    So I'd say that my general running pace is HM pace + 120secs.
  • Minni you were lucky - we woke up to loads of snow, white everywhere.  The Joiners is just up the road - what was the food like? We've not been in for various reasons. Not running Sunday, racing in snow and ice would be, err, "fun". Enjoy!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes, Poacher we are covered in the white stuff today too.  Had a lovely run in it at 7am.  I was impressed with the Joiners.    I went for the Captain's Sandwich, which was yummy.  Fish goujons in a roll - very tasty at the time. 

Looks like it'll be a snowy 18 miler in the morning too. 

• Ratster - Well done on that epic treadie run - but where do you do it? At a gym? I ask because at my gym they only let you on the aerobic stuff (bikes, treadies, x-trainers) for a maximum of 20 minutes. I go at relatively quiet moments, so often sneak in an extra 10 or 20 minutes on the bike if there's nobody waiting.

Poacher - Snow already? They keep saying it's going to get cold here, but this morning I went out at 6.30 and sweltered in my windcheater and hat.

MM - Nice stats, consistent consistency there and no mistake (guv).

This country has gone even more nuts than usual over tonigt's Madrid-Barça game. There is a 24-hour preview on the tellyimage image.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    I just managed to sneak in 4 miles tonight after taking the family to panto today in oxford. This has taken my weekly total over 50miles, which is the first time for well over a year.

No structured speed work for me for quite a while apart from the odd MP and HMP run. This feels the first time I'm going to start a training plan carrying no niggles and well prepared milage wise. (Touches wood.)

Hi Rat, how the hell do you manage to run on a treadmill for 2+ hours. No problems with your mental strength. Will you be running a spring marathon?

Matchstick man - nice consistent training and good luck with the sub 80 attempt at wokingham. If I see you at mile seven, I know I've gone off too fast and will be blowing out of my arse for the last four.

One question for you, most probably a forum no no, but I'll ask anyway. What's the going rate for personal training. If you don't want to answer just 'cheap, expensive' will do.

Have you found it more beneficial than tips learned from these forums and various training manuals. I ask this because you still picked up an injury. When I follow a structured training plan and pick up a niggle. I usually, rather foolishly, carry on training through it and am thinking I may benefit with some 'one on one' advice to keep me in check.
  • Slo-hoho-keyJoe wrote (see)
    Hmmm, during my 4mile recovery run this morning I was running along a line in the road and noticed that both feet were landing on the line, meaning both legs swing back in which I would imagine puts lateral forces on my legs and probably explains why I get pains in my shins and have tight calves. With great mental effort I managed to get my feet wider apart, bit it felt a bit weird. Has anyone else noticed this with their own line running antics?
    Mine do the same, I think it is pretty natural and I actually have fun running along white lines in the road. If you think about the forces, it is pretty logical to have the centre of gravity above the impact point else your body will get pushed from side to side as each foot strike is off centre. I have run along ruts in plenty of paths where the path is only just wider than a shoe and not as wide as legs akimbo.
  • Moof, the answer is obviously personal and tbh it depends more on your own personal circumstances. If I was a student struggling to make ends meet it would be too expensive but as it is I'm a married man with two young children, one if which is in nursery and the other is at before and after school club. Add on mortgage, all the usual bills and saving for Christmas, birthdays, holidays, etc then you can see that if I can still afford it then its not that bad.
    Yes I got an injury but that was something that had been building up over a few years according to the physio. Running does carry an injury risk, especially when you're getting close to 7hrs a week consistently but I picked up an injury when doing the SSX comp last year so its ever present. You just need to do all the right things: rest, stretch, massage, keeping an eye on your trainers, running off road regularly, etc
  • Fame at last as I discovered while listening to Marathon Talk on my 10-miler this morning. Check it out for yourselves @ 38.30 on this week's show, Episode 100. Actually, they take the p**s out of me a bit, which I suppose I deserve.

Casually thrown in there, but a milestone in my progress to proper running fitness, a 10-miler for the first time in a good while. Felt good generally but I think excess baggage means it's all a little bit achy and creaky. 74 minutes' worth.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Ha ha!  I heard that during my long run this morning Ant and did wonder! Fame indeed.
  • Festive forum name change there Minni image
  • Cross country this morning, and I made it to the top of the first hill and had to stop as my groin/hip flexor area just didn't feel right. The stop was more preventative than anything though as that course is just constant hills, and if it felt like that going up the first one I thought it wise not to continue. It's something I've been putting up with for several years, lthough it normally hurts the day after rather than during the run itself. I'll give it a gentle try tomorrow and see how it feels.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Congratulations Martin That's a fantastic thing to take part in. Do they give you any free tickets as well? Have you decided what colour you are going to paint yourself. Surely calls for a 5 coloured ring.

Well done on your claim to fame Ant. Will look forward to hearing that in the NY (I am behind on my podcasts, but will soon catch up when I have got through a few audiobooks.

Nice consistency MM

SJ as PMJ says, nothing really to worry about. A couple of years ago, when trying to get to the cause of knee pain, I thought having feet which seemed to move into line was a problem as well. I tried several things such as running with a nappie on (well, running with cycling shorts with shammie insert, but it felt like a nappie), running along the side of A roads so I could focus on putting my foot either side of the white line on side of road etc. The best thing was the 'clam' exercise which the physio recommended. This is designed to strengthen the glutes (not glute maximus, the other on (help Sal!), which stopped my legs coming together, especially when tired. However after all that, I later got a new gait analysis and the tested complemented me on how my lower calves bend inwards, so my legs run in line, as do all the best runners apparently. So, unless you are sure it is a problem, don't stress!

Wise not to continue BOTF. Despite having a cold, I took part in a local clubs monthly training duathlon today. Had to take part as a lad from my school, who is intebe nominated rested in triathlon and I am responsible for as he is in care, was due to ride for the first time. Tried to take it a bit easy, but you know what it's like when you have a number on. Anyway, not too far down on the same event from summer times and right up with similar other competitors, so hopefully will be on the podium come January.

Also had my clubs AGM and social on friday. Won all the running award and was pleased to be nominated for outstanding achievement of the year. However I was glad not to receive the trophy as other 3 were much more deserving. The winner was someone who completed Marathon d'Sables!
  • BOTF, sounds like you are a wise man. It is always tempting to just push through it and ending up with a worse problem.

Thanks PMJ and Keir for saying that I'm not a bandy legged freak. However, did a few glute exercises last night (clam with a resistance band and leg raises) and went out for a steady 10 this morning and legs were not "tightroping" anywhere near as much with a bit of concentration. Interestingly, the legs felt better than they have for ages... Followed up with a swim and then totted my miles up for the week - 29 - so did a mile loop round to the offy for some wine and chocolate and a nice round number for the week.
  • Medius Keir.

Apparently running 'on a line' contributed to my ITB woes 2 years ago and I spent a long time trying to fix that. I still do it when I'm tired though. However, since improving it I've had no further ITB issues and have gone from being a heavy heel striker and overpronator to more of a midfoot strike and only mild overpronation. I suspect endless leg lifts and clams may be part of the reason.

But if it ain't broke....

• Evening all.

Although I'd intended to go out for 15-18M, by the time I'd popped into work, done my Christmas shopping, wrapped everything and read my papers for tomorrow I felt knackered. Seeing as the taper is the time to skip a run if in doubt, consider the run skipped. Early night for me tonight, I think!
  • Nice mention Ant!

Nice goujons Minni!; it had all melted by this morning but the beach looks great anyway. Surely The Ship is above The Joiners though?

What's a personal trainer? More to the point, what's training?

Joolska you have done all you need to do, just taper

Bah, the freak ankle injury has returned,  image will take a week off then attempt a mara, not impressed

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Excellent news Martin - congratulations.
    BOTF - sensible decision - I suffered last year after pushing thru' an injury at XC.  Last of local series today - 3 laps of undulating longish grass, with small woodland bit each lap. Secured the glory image of 14th in the M50-59 section in the league (although I am only a couple of years from the upper end of the age-group) image !  Skim reading back, someone asked about racing conditions this year - for me I think that despite the "hurricane"  in the last few miles at Nottingham mara, the baking conditions at Mansfield half take the "most unpleasant" award.

Have a good week, all.

• I second the nomination of Mansfield half for worst conditions. Made all the worse by it being suddenly so hot. The day before I'd been freezing my bits off volunteering at Parkrun in 2 jumpers.

Also the Notts 10 - the wind that day made the Robin Hood look like a gentle breeze.

I think I forgot to congratulate Martin on being in the torch relay. I have probably also forgotten to congratulate folks on excellent races and sensible injury avoidance tactics. I can only apologise! I seem to have no time to spare these days.
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Poacher The Ship still wins.  Snow melted here too and did my 21.5 mile run in short sleeve and crops! 
  • BOTF - probably wise to stop like you did sensing something was not right, hope it clears up.

Jools, think you've got enough, miles in the bank to “miss” one run, rest will probably do some good and refresh you too?

Poacher, what happened to the ankle?

Nice 14th position in the XC Birch

12 miles for me this morning and a rural route in daylight for change. Started off at 8.15 pace and upped the pace gradually in the last 6 miles. Brings me to 36 for the week and getting ready to start mara training in the next week or so - Paris/Brighton TBC!! Nail biting 38 hours ahead til the vote closes on Tuesday lunchtime.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

My XC was a muddy disaster, probably my worst performance of the year & outside the top 100 finishers. Still I actually enjoyed the race and went out y/day and did 16 so it obviously took nothing out of my legs.

Where are you Minni- it was bloomin freezin in Tynemouth....

• MM - good to see you'er coming back from injury and building a solid base. Good luck for Wokingham.
    Hats off to the Rat for 16 miles on the dreadmill!
    FW - impressive progressive.
    Moof - really good MP run.
    Minni, OO - liking the seasonal name changes.
    Ant - well done on the 10 miler. My ultra-cautious recovery schedule doesn't reach those dizzy heights until March image I might have to review that...
    BOTF - hope that niggle has gone now.
    Keir - congrats on the running club awards.
    Joolska - wise decision and a well earned rest - you'll need it!
    KR - nice MLR; hope the next 24 hours aren't too nerve-wracking!
    I did 5 miles on Saturday with some 100m strides and an easy 5 miles this morning to start the week.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    I have a question with regards to running double days. P&D has a few 6 and 4 mile recovery days. I would imagine running one early am and one in the evenings would be the optimum way of running these.
    Unfortunately I start work between 6.30 and 7am, so there's no chance of me getting the first run in before work. So is a lunchtime and evenings run an ok way to do doubles. Will this leave enough recovery time between each run or not?
  • Moof, sorry, can't help - to me at the moment running a double is twice a week

a quick read back leads me to summarise "what HtHGDS says", but also big congrats to Martin

MM - very interesting to see your base building, particularly from my position as a low mileage but 'quick' trainer (my LSRs, when I did them, were always sub 7.30 i.e. less than a minute inside PMP).  Also notable that it's poss this way to get to a very decent level of weekly mileage, even without a particularly long long run - I never topped 50 miles pw in a marathon campaign, but would basically be doing 3/4 runs a week.  Has got me thinking that maybe this is the (injury free) way forward for me.  Might wel give it a try - nothing to lose really. 

Btw, MM, are you still using your duck-shoes?  Saw someone the other day in some, looked weird.

keep on keeping on all