Sub 3h15

Comments

• moof wrote (see)
    My plan is to run wokingham HM flat out in Feb and run fleet HM (5 weeks out) at MP with maybe 4 miles wu and a mile cd. Although this may look a little strange as I break the finish tape in first place and carry on running down the road!
    I am doing Wokingham which is ages out, then Finchley 20 on March 11th, sort of smiling sideways at Maidenhead 10 on April 6th so can you good guys and girls tell me it is a stupid idea 15 days before VLM.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    PMJ- not exactly tapering for your A race, is it. Although P&D do have a tune up 8-10k race two weeks out.
  • PMJ - If you PB at VLM then it's a stroke of genius.  If you crash and burn then stupidity image.  Would you change your mind whatever we told you????
  • PMJ - It does give you a 2 week taper so I'll admire your chutzpah and say "do it"

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Go for it PMJ - it's got to be worth bagging another Sub 60.  Why rely on coaching best-practise when you can be a maverick insteadimage

So what happened to the ASICS 22.6 - do they ever do anything to the advertised timeimage  Hope you're working on your new thread KRimage

• TRTR ✭✭✭
    I always find the 1/2 mara in the build up interesting, I've never tried it. I look to do a 20miler somewhere around MP 6 to 8 weeks out, but wouldnt do a flat out 1/2 3 or 4 weeks out. Not sure which would be the best or wosre one to do. However if I was to do a 1/2 in the build up I'd do it at MP anyway, cos its more specific and its always going to be compromised anyway. But I CNBA to go a travel to a 1/2 mara to "only" run it at MP when I could probably do ~10M on my own at home anyway. 
  • *covers nose and mouth* *cough, cough, splutter*

Looking for the results of the Super Six But Not Called That comp but can't find anything. No surprise really! Best slip out again before I infect any of you with my lurgy. Best time to get it I suppose - I was due a rest before VLM training kicks in anyway.

*atishoo*
  • Welcome back Amy and congrats Matthew  on the Sub 3:15.

Weekend away in Blackpool to see parents, got a couple of runs in,  blown around in one and soaked in the other.  Wimped out for past 2 days and opted for treadmill rather than facing the wind and rain.  6 miles yesterday including a 20min 5K and 10 miles this afternoon @7:30.

Fingers crossed KR, maybe RW are having trouble counting all the votes.

• Well done on the sub 3.15, Matthew.
  • Well done Matt, great time and lessons learnt about your pace too, should be even faster next time!

Running through my injuries at the moment and not getting worse so looking to get a spreadsheet ready for training schedule. Week 18 approaching, although I won;t be able to do the VO2 stuff for a while I can still use P&D as a great reference.

I have a P&D spreadsheet (I have the book too by the way) called "Copy of PD Training Plan MULTI" - unfortunately the only session data worksheet is the first one and what I want is SessionData_PD5570  - anyone able to help me out - can pm me if necessary?

Cheers ... Simon.

• Good effort Matthew, crucially you had the nads to hold it together when it was tough and got a time you can really build on, very well run.

Welcome back Amy, as has been said 3.20 and 3.15 ain't that different, may as well aim high.

As for races close together, I like the challenge of putting in decent times back to back rather than having one big blast, but it is certainly an acquired taste which really speedy people should probably avoid.  IMO some runners need a sequence of races to get really sharp, others are lucky and can turn it on at the drop of a hat.

Nice puns Gul, and fingers crossed for Silent (K)Night Rider 

As Moof says, there are no easy maras but looking forward to no. 27 at Portsmouth on Sunday, hope the weather fairy is kind. 

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Number
    27!.............gulp.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    Poacher - so do I. It can get windy on the coast down here.
  • Well done Matthew, good performance.

I'll be doing Bramley 20, Wokingham and Reading, and maybe the Maidenhead Easter 10 as well. I figure three weeks is enough to recover from Reading Half. The Easter 10 I'm undecided so far. If anyone is interested my club are most likely doing their 20 mile supported training run 5 weeks before London - fully marshalled, 4 drink stations, and a nice run round WIndsor Great Park. All welcome - no charge.

Did my 3rd jaunt round my new midweek course tonight - 10.2 miles in 1:17:45, and it felt so much easier than the previous two despite being 7:37 average against 7:49 last week and 7:56 the week before. HR was fractionally higher at 149 against 146, but 149 is what I usually use as my target for long runs, so pretty happy with that. It was only 1C when I left so I popped on an extra long sleeve top and a hat, and boy did I get hot, despite the fact it was below freezing when I got back. I also wore my first Christmas present tonight - an Alpkit Gamma head torch. What a great piece of kit for £12 - if you're looking for a torch then well worth £12 of your money.

• BOTF - seconded, Gamma = reliable & good value

TR - running by the sea is always magical, even if it blows a hoolie who cares. Just realised it's the Pompey - Saints derby though, might be tasty on Sunday image 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

BOTF - I have one too !

Poacher - all the Footy traffic will be piling it down the main road on the East of Pompey as you run along the shore next to it ! It might be wise to let the dust settle before you try and get out the city afterwards. These games have seen a lot of trouble on the streets at times. When you run North ready to go round Farlington Marshes (nice place to run - I do sometimes) and across to Hayling Island (to the East), you will see a hill running East to West at the north of the City, that is where I spend my running time nowadays.

• Agreed - those head torches are ace.  I bought one last year (or was it the year before?) and I still wear it regularly.  In fact, I wore it about half an hour ago, when I went out to the garage to root around aimlessly in the dark, trying to remember what I was looking for. 

And yesterday I wore it to peer around in the cupboard under the stairs, so that I could almost avoid banging my head on the low ceiling as I searched for a long-forgotten book.

But, most enjoyable of all, it's perfect headwear for when I'm trying to unscrew a stubborn wall fixing, as the light can shine on the rusty screw, leaving my two hands free to flail around hopelessly while I swear at the wall. 

I don't think I've ever worn it for running though.  Not even last Saturday, when I ran the Langdale 10k in a quite delightful 42:11.  I was so happy I gave myself a few days off, and I haven't run since. 

All the best for number 27, Poacher.

• not been for a few years, but love Langdale.

All the best your 3-cubed marathon Poacher.

• Loving Langdale too! Although didn't get there for either race this year. image

Well done Matt. Quality time and plenty to build on for next year.

KR must know the result. Probably embargoed until the official announcement is made....wish they'd hurry up!
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Poacher enjoy the marathon - sorry I won't be there to pass your drinks to you. image

I hope they announce the Asics winners today. Some have said they were not successful already but no news of the winners.
  • Well done TAR.

Good luck on Sunday Poacher.  Good job it's not tomorrow looking at the weather forecast!!!

RW really are milking the anticipation aren't they image

• Wot no news, KR? I seriously hope you know the result by now even if we don't. Hope it's good news.
    Matt - well done on the sub 3:15. Determined effort.
    TAR - nice 10k  there.
    Best wishes for Sunday, Poacher.
    2nd rest day of the week for me.

• Enjoy it on Sunday Poacher - weather looks to be ok. Won't be joining you as not going to make it back to UK in time.image Frustrating as I've got to race weight, trained and am raring to go!

Well I guess there will be many more to come - would have been my 5th so way behind a lot of people here!

• Jeremy - sorry to hear you won't make it back in time.
    What's happening to this website? Now 'logout' has disappeared too! Must be time to ditch IE.
  • SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Not knowing where the avitars will appear does add to the excitement though ...

Good luck for Sunday Poacher - hope you're feeling motivated ...

The silence of KR sounds like good news to me ...

Anybody remember where to get those plastic crampon things from?

• Yaxtrax?  I think Sweatshop sell them now.
  • Cotswold do them too

Commiserations Jeremy, there's always another race

I'm not going for a fast one on Sunday, it's an LSR with a view to kicking off 2012 in ultra style.

• And the sub 3-15 thread supplies another worthy candidate for the SSX (or variant thereof) competition. Well done KR!
  • The past 2 days have been torture by not being able to say anything, but it's official now - I'm in!!!

Thanks MM and everyone on here for the votes and nice comments. I have got to a lot to live up to to follow in your shoes MM. I am genuinely looking forward to all the training and advice and the fact that the marathon is taking place in Paris is a Brucey bonus. Quite frankly I would have done it in Skegness, just so long as the advice & support was the same!

Cheers, Colin.

• Congrats again, KR. You must be really chuffed. Oddly enough, I think there is a marathon that goes from Skegness to Boston, but Paris does sound good! (Deleted temporary internet files and still can't log off...)