Sub 3h15

Comments

• SueC - trying to find the SSX forum you've had your rant on. I do enjoy a bit of voyeurism....what's the forum's official title - can you post a link
  • Afternoon all.

Will have to go and read the SSX thread - not usually SueC who gets hot under the collar!  Hope the back improves soon, btw. 

Lovely 10M for me in the sunshine.  Ground still pretty solid but a lot of the frost is going and I suspect the ice on the harbour will be gone by tomorrow afternoon.  Treated myself to a run in my lightweights (Adizero Tempos - they have sparkly laces, too!) and averaged 7.11m/m, with the penultimate 2.5M @ 6.45s.  One step further along the road back to marathon-fit.

• Hi folks.

Been watching with interest over the last few days deciding whether to follow the jump from the old sub 3.15 thread or become a lurker in view of not having marathon planned until 2012. 

Either way I wanted to pop in to say congrats KR, you have my vote - sounds like a great bootcamp session.

I will also be voting for the 3.27 guy out of interest to see how he gets on - should be interesting.

P+D MP running - seemed there was enough for me and I agree, much easier when done as part of a race.

• Sue C wrote (see)

Sounds like an interesting day Knight Rider, who was then responsible for coming up with the shortlist?

I would interpret 'general aerobic' as 'easy paced' running.

Welcome, new peopleimage

Hi Sue, not sure who somes up with the shortlist that's on the website? THere is a trio at RW who were there on the day in Birmingham and I presume that Bud and Steve will have their comments. Steve was making notes of people's times on the 5k time trial. And I guess Sarah the Physio lady made her comments about anyones current/injuries or niggles etc. We also had to fill in another form on the day about what we wanted to get out of the experience, what we will bring to the SS etc. So a combination of all these factors. I think this year they wanted to acutally meet people in th flesh and check them out.
    Another big thanks to all the people who have clicked & voted for me!
  • Sue C - Found your rant. I agree entirely with you. Anyone who's proposing to devote several hours a week to proper marathon training surely can find 5 minutes a day to contribute to forums. I suppose the issue centres around whether one has to have "proved " oneself as a contributor already and whetehr that really matter. But to say "I haven't had time to contribute" is a bit ridiculous. I'd understand it if "I hadn't known or cared until now about forums" was the real reason....
  • Sue C wrote (see)

You need to send some an anger management fairy over too.... I have got quite cross over on that SSX thread (the one that's not broken!)

Tee hee, I started that one image But obviously was on Sue C's side.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭
    they'd have to pay me (good money) to take part in the SS. Not sure that I remember anyone actually hitting the target time for a starter and (I CNBA to read the thread) whilst I agree that folks have a commitment to post regularly, the pressure that some of the forum folks tried to put on Christina (JBFAR) this year was awful to watch.
  • Just for you TR: the conversation was originally about RW choosing mostly people that hadn't posted on the forums previously. I said that most would have a shock when they realised how much time and effort would be required to not only meet the running requirements but also the time to put into the thread, a la MM. Someone said that, up to now, they hadn't the time because they had a job and kids. I pointed out that many of the regular posters on some threads (ie this one) had kids but managed to find the time to train and provide assistance and support to other forumites and not only when a lovely freebie was up for grabs. Then Sue came in and ripped them to shreds image

Having joined the RW forum this year I only got to read the latter stages of MM's Super 6 thread so don't really know about what happened on the others. Is JBFAR still around or did it put her off the forum entirely?

• Congratulations on getting to last three KR and good luck on getting selected. You've just got my vote!
  • I think JBFAR chose to bow out fairly suddenly. I seem to recall one or two characters getting quite stuck into the RW's methods but it kind of came across as a pretty unfair dig at her which must have really hurt when she was attempting to exorcise her own demons and didn't need it ramming down her throat
  • Jools - 7.11mm is a bit zippy for you isn't it for an easy run? Very impressive in any event! There has been no noticable improvement in my back but I am at the physio again tomorrow so hopefully he can loosen everything off again. I have also wondered about a chiropractor, but I know very little about their work to be honest.

Giggles - I just got a touch narked, that's all!!image I agree entirely with your post above B&B, that post felt completely 'wrong' however which way I considered it. These forums are all about support and advice in any event, they need no 'carrot' dangling.

TR - fair point about Christina, I have thought about her from time to time. She got a raw deal from the forum and from the coaching offered, she was badly let down in my opinion.

Fraser - I am not too worried about the SSX having new blood in it's ranks (a very positive thing in many ways), although in an ideal world, a balance might be nice. As you say, 'not having time to post' er, rather defeats the object!!

• Fraser - cross post. My thoughts entirely.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

B&B - thanks, I know it annoys folks that new folks get chosen over regular posters and there seems to be a lot of jealousy surrounding the SS thing. Maybe regular posters should be chosen, but I guess the whole point is trialling the schedules on folks that dont know what they are doing. 

Christina is a friends wife and I havnt heard from them since. Lots of folks felt for her, I know from off line discussions that she didnt get the support she was expecting to get, and some of the public expected more from her forum wise. But like I said I think that there are reasons for the way some folks treat the SSers.

MM put a lot into his thread and it was good.

I dont follow the ~4hr hopefuls, but I'm sure that they will repond very well to some structured coaching. From my experience most of the 4hr folks would benefit simply from having a pointy (or shitty) stick aimed at their backside to get em out of their comfort zone a bit.

Sue C - I agree, the forums are about support and advice esp for folks that belong to unattached harriers and dont have any training partners to get out of bed early for. They also work best when folks tell it like it is, rather than "good jawb" " never mind keep plugging away".

• I posted on the thread itself but I was pretty riled by the implications that we are all poor parents as we spend time posting on the forum.image There are some amazing people on here, who are fully committed to both running and their families, in some very difficult circumstances.

• Andy V ran a sub 4 marathon from our ssx group this year in his first ever marathon. He was also the least experienced poster from the start. I've spoken to Christina a couple of times since (in fact I still chat to the other 4 regularly) and the experience did scar her. It has affected us all tbh and I will be interested to see how Hash gets on in 2011 with her deferred place.
  • MM - Even though you had a bad day at the office at VLM presumably you still feel the whole experience and laying yourself open to scrutiny was well worth it ?? Did you get any advice before embarking on the process on how to cope psychologically if targets weren't reached ??  Or is that too touchy feely !!
  • Busy busy thread,  well done KR on getting selected and you have my vote but it was a close call with UpsyDaisy.

Long run for me this evening, last long one with no gels, 23 miles in 3:07 at an avg of 8:08.  Didn't feel too bad.  That's the third 20 miler or more unfuelled, going to move on to long runs  with MP efforts as per MM's advice but using gels.

• TR what you say is spot on. In addition I suspect that a large proportion of serial long distance runners are highly self-contained/self-motivated/like being on their Jack Jones/don't need to be in a group/don't need affirmation that they're doing the right thing - and therefore don't really get that some people do need support/affirmation/sense of belonging etc etc and will be undermined by unfeeling criticism.  It's not on to heap pressure on people who are only running for fun.

Welcome all, and welcome back Sue & CG, not seen you here for a while.

Despite the Hoff connection, voted for KR

Stupid rush of blood to the head today, entered my very first 10k (mistake 1) the day after Boxing Day (mistake 2) on an apparently not very flat course (mistake 3) somewhere near Maidstone and haven't time for even token appropriate training (mistake 4). Then looked at the relevant thread to find Keir apparently also making his 10k debut - could be the slowest smackdown in history... image - what time are you looking for? I'm embarassed already.

• No psychological help offered. However I loved every bloody minute of the ssx and I'm uber jealous of kr getting the opportunity. I've grown stronger as a runner because of it and my only regret was not bringing it home at vlm and doing it at Chester instead
  • (X post)  - Barry B  - 23m is a big ballsy number, looking good, nice one.
  • Barry B that's a great long run! Sounds like you're going to tear it up at Gloucester
  • *goes off to look for the ssx thread*
  • Great run Barry - I couldn't imagine doing something like that in the evening!

7.08 for me tonight with the club, although I was actually on my own at the front from 1 mile to 5.5 miles. First mile was around 8:30, but churned out the next 6 at just under 7 min miles for 50:49 total @ 7:11 average. I was working, but it felt good, but then at 5.5 one of our super-quick twins (1:10 half) cruised up and started to have a conversation with me - it was rather one-sided!

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Down t'club for me as well. Post parents evening. Nice to get back down the club. Havent run with them since the summer. The ice meant the pace slowed in places, but a respectable 9miles in 65mins. Also did 5m this morning, so not a bad days running.

Views on SSX - I agree with all of the above. Definately not voting for Charlie though. He sounds like a right tosser image

Poacher wrote (see)

Stupid rush of blood to the head today, entered my very first 10k (mistake 1) the day after Boxing Day (mistake 2) on an apparently not very flat course (mistake 3) somewhere near Maidstone and haven't time for even token appropriate training (mistake 4). Then looked at the relevant thread to find Keir apparently also making his 10k debut - could be the slowest smackdown in history... image - what time are you looking for? I'm embarassed already.

Mistake 5 - Challenging me to a smack down image I normally like sub 40. Ambitious target would be 38 something, but Xmas pudding eating would be compromised to achieve that. I asked at the club about the course today. Fast on the way out and drags up in the final 2 miles, but not hilly as such. Fancy a pint afterwards?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Forgot to say - Great final run Barry. All looking really good. You've built up really nicely for this one on the back of Abingdon. Is sub 3.15 still the target?

• Keir - how about a pint or three beforehand just to even things up?  TBH I will be nowhere near sub 40, mainly an excuse for a few hours away from the family Christmas.  image   Will see if Poachette fancies this, she is scarily fast. On the plus side I will be the only 10k novice who already has a 145m PB -  shameless, but it's important to get those excuses in very early  imageimageimage
  • Thanks Poacher & Barry B for the support.

I'll be honest here - I'm absolutely pegging it, but also absolutely looking forward to it at the same time.
    One of the reasons I joined this thread was joining in with MM's thread for the SS this year. I really enjoyed it and after the big day was over, I was looking for a regular forum with other runners with not only the same goal (if not apsiring higher) but also sense of humour. MM's thread was a great read everyday pretty much and had a good balance of witty banter (favourite hat) and also informative input from both MM, LIz and other forumites. I think it was a great credit to him that even though the SS race didn't go to plan, he stuck in there and showed his true colours, gritting his teeth and achieving his 3.12 marathon as we all knew he would. Just goes to show that he was a good pick from the contenders this time last year. 

Looking forward to hearing about the Poacher versus Keir 10k smackdown. Will you be dressed up accordingly in WWF spandex complete with masks to hide your true identity?

Getting ready for my marathon training regardless of the outcome of the SS - I still have that place in Brighton on the same day! 10 miles tonight split into 2 miles easy 8.10 mm pace, next 2 at PMP 7.22 mm  then another mile at 6.59 pace. Repeated this again, however my next 2 easy miles turned out to be more PMP pace and felt copmfortable so carried on and the last mile at around 6.45 pace.
    73.41 for the whole 10 miles which works out at 7.22 pace, which would be a very nice marathon goal pace in Paris!

• Beware Of The Fish wrote (see)

Great run Barry - I couldn't imagine doing something like that in the evening!

7.08 for me tonight with the club, although I was actually on my own at the front from 1 mile to 5.5 miles. First mile was around 8:30, but churned out the next 6 at just under 7 min miles for 50:49 total @ 7:11 average. I was working, but it felt good, but then at 5.5 one of our super-quick twins (1:10 half) cruised up and started to have a conversation with me - it was rather one-sided!

BOTF - Was it one of those conversations where you just nodded your head and grunted?

Brilliant long run there Barry, is your marathon in late January? As you did this unfuelled during the run, did you carbo load a bit during the day or yesterday? I've heard of that doing a 20 miler easy unfuelled and then next time a quicker 20 miler with MP blocks but with gels - was that from MacMillan?

• Hi All and special hello to MM after many a 'chat' during training for the 2010 VLM!   I'm still in Germany and the second winter is worse than the first so far with huge dumps of snow so running is 'interesting' to say the least!   I'm currently 'clocking' 40 miles a week and on 20th Dec I'll be starting my 16 week training programme for the 2010 Brighton Marathon followed quickly by a 30K trail run the following weekend in Germany, the Paderborn Half Marathon the following weekend and then my first Berlin Marathon in September!   It's all go and a good way to 'celebrate' my 50th year next year!

Would love to run just inside 3:15 in Brighton so will watch this forum with interest.   I ran the VLM in 3:28 this year and the Hastings Marathon in 3:14 in 2008 although my marathon PB is 2:56.

Good luck everyone!