Sub 3h15

Comments

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Nice run Fraser. I was up your way today at a scooter park! It was hot this morning.

OO - there's nothing about the coastal marathon that appeals to me - far too hard! Your days sounds nice. I love the coast down at Tynemouth. How is Mrs OO's shop going?

I had a bit of a naff session on failure Friday too. Didn't ditch it but failed to knock the required seconds off the 10k pace on cutdowns. image
  • PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭
    The Northumberland Coastal mara looked hard from where I was marshalling - its not exactly hilly but a tough race with about 8m of sand and the rest off road. I was told the leader blew up with hamstring issues.....the guy in 2nd had the dreaded red-vest-bleeding-nipple thing from early doors - OUCH. Hard race but the coast is unique & so gorgeous. Beats paying ??50 for a view of the dual carriageways of Gateshead courtesy of the so-called "Great" North Run.

Looking good FW

DM training is where you do the tough stuff, race day is merely when you have some fun and show what you can do. Stick at it.

Birch I have no doubt you will get to feel that feeling again.....every finish line after 26.2 or more is special. Planning no.30 for the week after next and already excited.
  • Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭
    Celebrations today. Just managed to scrape inside my first Sub 1:25 HM at Burnham Beeches HM. This was my best race to date. For once I was in control of my pace, let everyone hare off, and slowly reeled in lots of runners. Missed out on a cash prize by 20 secs or so, but I was pleased with how I ran.

After that I hared off to Henly for the 80's Rewind Festival. Unfortunately I was designated driver. You can't have everything.

DM - I have had completely miserable training for over a week and thought I was going backwards. Then I get into a race and PB. Last week is now forgotten.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's the way I like to run race AR- very well done.

The shop goes well Minni- keeping it's head above water in spite of the quiet holiday period. Not much free time these days thoughimage. Had a lady in this w/end tatood head to foot- selling a stack of her body piercings- you do meet some characters.

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Back from North Yorkshire where I did no running for 4 days image The nearest I got was spotting some York parkrunners from the park and ride bus.
    Good to see some great running going on as usual.
    PMJ - good to hear you're officially off the bench. Steady as she goes...
    Speedy - congrats on overall silver; that's a great achievement.
    AR - well done on the sub 1:25; you're rightly chuffed with that one.
    Interesting to read the mara v. shorter distances discussion. I've really enjoyed focussing on the shorter distances over the last year. 10k, then 5k and now even down to the mile! I'd love to do another HM or have a decent crack at a mara, but really worried that my body just won't be able to cope with the higher mileage. Currently doing about 35mpw, and planning to increase that shortly but still have doubts at the back of my mind. For the moment, just enjoying the luxury of 2 speed sessions a week. 400m reps were even more consistent today 82, 80, 80, 80 and 80 off 60 sec recoveries. Back to painting and decorating for now...
    Birch - hope you get the referral to the consultant you'd like.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Well done, AR - Burnham is not an easy course and it must have been absolutely roasting!  Sounds like you had a lot of fun.

• 30! Nice round number Poacher

OO, is there much of a market for slightly used body piercings?

Great result AR! Sounds like you are simmering along quite nicely image

Super consistent reps there Gul. I'm looking forward to seeing how you do in your magic mile.
  • Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

NIce race results Speedy and super impressive training volume and presumably quality from you.

Good to hear that you're determined to run more marathons Birch.  Good luck with your knee.

Great running there AR - congratulations on that result.

Good to know that its not just me having a few bad runs.  I had a difficult feeling 11mile run on Friday - easy pace but not feeling easy at all.  Yesterday was 17miles with 10@MP.  I hid my t-shirt in the bushes after 2 miles due to the heat.  The MP part was feeling tougher than it should be.  Had to stop for 2 minutes after 6 miles at MP.  A couple of small hills later didn't help but just managed to get 7:16 per mile average against my target of 7:15.  I'm wondering if that MP is too ambitous - I'll review it in 2 weeks after the next scheduled MP run.  Its part of a larger picture with not being able to hit other session as well.

• Good run the AR, Burnham is a hard course and when it is hot and humid even harder (I have done it myself in the heat and it was a killer). I had a sneak at the result in po10 and there are a lot of people behind you with times much closer to 80 than 85 so the course and conditions are worth a handful of minutes.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I got mild heatstroke the last time I ran BB (when it was hot and humid) - went from cruising at 90 min pace, to feeling a bit too hot and finally to feeling freezing cold in the space of about 10 minutes!  Pace then dropped by about 45 secs/mile and I jogged home to something approaching a PW, certainly a PW for the last 5/6 years!

• Also-ranAlso-ran ✭✭✭

I think I saw some Olympic legacy in action yesterday at BB Jools. A guy must have been inspired by seeing the misting stations at the Marathons, and was stood with garden hose showering any runners who wanted a soaking. It was a temporary reprieval in the heat.

• Brilliant time in your HM Also Ran. I like the way you said your first sub 1.25 as it suggests there will be more. The time would probably be better on a cooler day. Don't think I would do a half in the middle of summer because of the heat.

Hope your road to recovery is a short one Birch.

Agree with you too Gul, I've enjoyed just concentrating on the shorter distances this summer since Paris. I don't think my mileage has been much above 30mpw. I took my lad down to the local track on Saturday for the AVIVA Startrack coaching session which he really enjoyed. While I was there I saw there is an open meeting in September, so i fancy doing a 1500m race as a bit of a laugh! (Although taken seriously!)

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

I actually quite enjoyed my dalliance with track running, although not the 4 x 400m - I think I lost us about 100m over my lap alone compared to the out and out track speedsters!  The 1,500 and 3,000 were quite nice actually.  Pacing is so much easier on the track image

• Ant van Oviedo wrote (see)

Jezza - Enjoy your hols...and let me know how you get on with the book. B.t.w., I'm almost certainly going to do Bromley Parkrun on 22nd September - will you be around? Jase?

back from hols (Slokey - nearest town was Umbertide, west of Cortona, beatiful contryside) and have finished the Julian Goater book Ant.  Really enjoyed it, the key message was I'm doing pretty much everything wrong.  Should be:
    1.  running with style, focus on landing on forefoot not heel, raising knees not shuffling
    2.  doing weekly hill and fartlek and intervals, not just 'going for a run'
    3.  stretching 3/4 times a day, not 3/4 times a year
    4.  believing it's possible to run faster than before, not being limited by watch/previous times

Ant - Bromely Park Run 22nd Sept is a poss for me - would have to make plans for parental duties, but if you're going to be there would be good to meet up (and show you my new style/speed)

congrats on the pb AR, nice work elsewhere .... best wishes Birch

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Nice PB AR - bodes well for a better time in sensible conditions!

• Brilliant time AR! 

A tough run for me tonight too, it's always tough when it's an HMP session. Somehow it's also always hot on the nights I have these scheduled, and windy too. I didn't quite hit HMP for the full 5 miles, but not too far off. The slowest mile was the first, but that was largely uphill and into the wind. 

• Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

SJ - do you have a target in mind for the Magic Mile yet? I might set up an event, but I don't think anyone will be mad enough to join me at silly o'clock in the morning.
    Bike It - 10m @ MP untapered is going to be tough.
    KR - hope you get to run the 1500m race; sounds exciting.
    Jezza - stretch 3/4 times a day!?
    Speedy - certainly not the best evening for a HMP run.
    4 mile plod for me this morning.

• Gul Darr wrote (see)

Jezza - stretch 3/4 times a day!?

yep, I know, seems a bit extreme, but his point is that runners are so inflexible and 'just' stretching after a run isn't enough.  He says that inflexibility shortens your stride length which means you're slower than if you were super flexible ..... theory seems sound, although in practice it's tough to find time/place/motivation to do something so boring so often!

• Jezza, we stayed a fair bit further south near Orvieto- Italy is a lovely place - sigh.

As for stretching, I saw a tv piece sometime last year on Mo Farah's training and he was doing a stretch which is fairly well used I would think, on one knee with the other leg in front and stretching the hip flexor. he then proceeded to reach behind and lift the foot of his trailing leg to touch his buttock. I was so impressed with this that I had a go and felt something starting to rip almost instantly. So he's a fairly flexible chap. Also noticed that Dibaba, Rudisha, Farah, most of the Kenyan marathoners all have a much larger range of motion than the runners that they invariably beat. Just watch any of those races and the runner whose heel comes up the highest at the end of the stride is right at the front.

Gul, I managed a 5:27 mile last year and I was close to death by the end. I am therefore aiming to beat that by even 1 second as long as I live to tell the tale.image
  • yep it's lovely but a bit warm for running .....

interesting thoughts on stretching & flexibility too - guess you know where to get your heel if you want a mile pb

• knight rider wrote (see)

Hi Rob, yes Steve definitely knows his stuff. As you know, what you think you know can be blown out of the water by a different approach. Sometimes the slight changes in training can make the difference. Good luck for your 10k on Sunday, let us know how you get on.

Hi. All this talk of stretching is very relevant, as that's all I've done for the past week. Unfortunately I've managed to strain/tear my glute. Very painful and very frustrating as my times have been getting better and better.

So, no 10k race for me last Sunday and probably no HM race next month, but I'm hoping to be back training soon. I'm suddenly realising how important it is to be flexible...

• As a stickler for tradition, I think it's high time I offered up my Abingdon place to a more worthwhile candidate.  With a recalcitrant achilles limiting my weekly mileage to about 20, I'm obliged to concentrate on feeble 5k and 10k races.  Even though that isn't even proper running.  So if anyone fancies an Abingdon number, let me know.

Meanwhile, I'll probably enter the Cork marathon for next June.  Needless to say, I'll pop in here around April, wondering if anyone fancies a number for the Cork marathon....

A great result at the Cross Bay half, Slokey.  I've always quite fancied that one.

• MennaniaMennania ✭✭✭

Rob and TAR, sorry to hear you are joining the growing benched list. Must confirm that the stretching thing is as important as the running thing according to my Fizz and she is constantly recommending Pilates or Power Yoga as an important complement to running.

3miles for me last night and tonight - starts with 15 mins of stretching and pain on commencement to the leg which subsided with the run and 10 mins of stretching after. so thats 55 mins for 3 miles image.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Club session: 6 x 900m off 2 minutes (incl. c 80s jog).  All came out around 6.05-6.10m/m so pretty pleased with that.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    Hello peeps. Sorry to read about ongoing injury woes, Rob, TAR, Mennania and Birch (any others?) I am still dealing with a still ever so slightly niggly Achilles but am embarking upon a training schedule regardless with a marathon in December. I concur with the view that stretching, as well as strengthening, and regular massage are key to staying injury-free. Time is the critical factor for me and I have found a class that combines yoga with Pilates and ballet and includes stretching, strengthening and lots of core work in one hour. Fingers crossed it will help avoid being benched again!
  • Nice 9 mile P&D aerobic tonight. Felt great, didn't worry about pace at all and just ran nice and lazy and concentrated on form. Banged in 10x 100m strides to finish and couldn't believe av pace was 7.35. So enjoyable compared with Sundays hard effort. Tonight made me remember how enjoyable running can be.
  • Gul DarrGul Darr ✭✭✭

Jezza - Does dynamic stretching count or do you have to warm up 3 to 4 times a day too? I think I'll stick to just stretching after each run for now.
    SJ - so you're aiming for even closer to death? That's dedication.
    TAR - sorry to hear that.
    Jools - nice set of 900m reps.
    MsE - sounds like a pretty good class you've found there; hope it keeps those niggles at bay.
    DM - pleased to hear you really enjoyed your run last night.
    200m reps for me this morning. Really strange blip in the 4th one: 35, 34, 33, 45(!), 34, 35. Did these off 400m recoveries and only clue is that I did the 3rd recovery in about 30s less than the others. Oh well. 1 bedroom finished, start the 2nd today.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

MsE - image  Is that some kind of torture camp? image

AR - Brilliant pb.  Well done!

• Thanks Mennania and MsE. Frustrating but I guess it comes with the territory. Stretching and more focus on the core is definitely the way forward. You're right about a regular massage as well, but the cost always puts me off. Hopefully I'll be back in early September, but it looks like I'll have to readjust my HM ambitions until the spring. At least I can focus on my shorter races, which have been going really well.

• DM, I did the exact same session yesterday and also loved it.

Hi MsE, how are the family all settling into life in SF?

Another speed session Gul!? You really mean business.

Good luck on the recovery Rob.

Stick around TAR