Sub 3h15

Comments

• Gul - great to hear you reached a year unscathed, shows you have built it back up nicely with the bigger picture in mind. Sub 90 sounds a good doable target, have you one in mind to target?

Speedy - 6 seconds bewteen all your rep times is pretty consistent.

Jools - still a good time there for your 5k. I've found the Garmin unreliable on my local Parkrun due to all the tight twists & turns, which is annoying when you need the data. Same thing happens aoround the track and I just by time and work out the pace.

8 x 1000m reps at the track last night in av 3.37 with a 1.20 recovery inbetween. Felt tougher with each rep!, although managed to pull out a 3.34 last rep (as I knew it was the last one!).

• KR - you are really flying! Very impressive reps.
    I would really like to have a crack at sub 90 in the spring, but I'm strugglinig to find a suitable race (I am really picky). So it looks like it might be GER 2013 but that seems an awful long time to wait...

• My Garmin plots a GPS that looks like a bowl of spagetti on a track. I  just use it as a stop watch but had a go with a footpod attached recently to get the current pace. After some calibration it was spot on for distance / pace. As soon as you change from a fast pace to say an easy pace, it needs recalibrating due to the change in running form. My one parkrun todate (Blackpark) and GPS  was also pretty useless - lots of sharp corners and tree cover. Must go back there though. 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

That's quick KR especually for 8.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Jools - "I know I'm in pb shape and so I just need to have faith in the training" - quite so!  The evidence is there - you won't be running in the dark (neither literally nor metaphorically), so there is no reason to have your confidence affected by last night's (none too shabby) 5K. 
    CC2 - looking good - great session following your 24m at the weekend - it's all in the bank now;  2 weeks on Sunday, I believe? 
    Gul - well done on the anniversary - a milestone I can only dream of at present.

Had my MRI scan today. 

• Great running and training by too numerous to mention!

Best of luck to those running 'brizzle alf' on Sunday! I did ths one last year but sitting out this year as too close to marathon. (Dartmoor vale 21.10.)

11 with 5x1200m tonight all 5.30 to 5.45, so job done. 4 runs left until taper. If I can get through these that will be every run in PD schedule completed (excluding 3 week taper) with nothing missed or swapped around and injury free. Touch wood!
  • 2 weeks on Sunday indeed, which means the training is *nearly* all in the bank. One last big session to do this Friday. The volume is lower this week, but the big sessions remain much the same. 

KR - you really are flying.

Jools - there's a midweek mile and 5k round here I do sometimes in winter and have the same problem. Plus you have to dodge cyclists on said cycle path. It's a bit scary at times! Much easier in daylight. 

• Gul - how far do you want to travel for your HM in the Spring? There's a few decent ones about with a bit of a car journey.

Birch - when do you find out the results of your MRI?

Good session there Dylan Man, looking good and keeping to the P&D schedule. I think those kind of reps within a long are really tough to do, but also very beneficial as you are doing them on tired/fatigued legs. Did you do them in the middle of your 11 or nearer the end?

You've had a great campaign so far Speedy, bet you'll be glad of the taper and the race!

9 miles @ 7.23 pace tonight. Getting colder & had to wear gloves & a hat.

• Birch - hope the MRI scan will help give you the best diagnosis and treatment possible.
    DM - another very tough session; well done.
    Speedy - 2 weeks on Sunday! Watch out for the tapir.
    KR - nice steady session; not quite hat and gloves weather here yet. As for the HM, I'd like to travel as little as possible(!), but certainly no more than an hour, which means no further than Norwich, Cambridge or just the other side of Peterborough. Not to put too fine a point on it, it's finances that are the real issue.
    7 steady miles for me this morning. Tried out a new 3.5 mile route to the in-laws to drop off my younger daughter's piano books after seeing her struggling with an over-filled rucksack last week. It's not an ideal route as there are more of the un-lit streets, which I only discovered this morning.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

KR - seeing consultant a week next Tues (09th) , tks. 

• Some very nice pacey training runs being posted on here.

Gul B Belated congratulations on the anniversary

Birch Hope the results are positive

Still ticking over at the moment, much too hilly for my liking or for any sort of speed work. I may run a few laps on a flat 1km stretch, see what the legs are heart think later. It rained slightly last night, which was a bit of a shockimage

Back in Sunny Liverpool on Monday evening.

• good luck with results Birch, lots of good running going on elsewhere

for the 1st time ever, I've been rejected in the LM ballot (got in 2002, 2004, 2007 and 2008 and gfa 2009/10).  Mrs B tells me I've got a very white rain jacket waiting at home.

• Gul - still can't over how early you venture out in the mornings and then post at a time I would consider an early rise! Know what you mean about finances. I'm the same when it comes to races. I have stayed at my brother's when I have done races in Wrexham & Wilmslow as it's just an hour away. An hour in the car to a race in about enough I think.

Hope the consultant can you give you some positive news Birch.

Scooby - flat strecthes are good for speed work as you can get a good consistent speed up rather than having to compensate for hills etc.

Jezza - Shame you got rejected, have you got a Plan B? Manchester is supposed to be the flatest marathon (or so they claim on the website) in the country. Fancy doing that one? I'm entered.

• SD - good to hear from you. Where are you at the moment? Hope you can find a flat stretch.
    Jezza - A white rain jacket isn't much compensation, is it?
    KR - Sleaford (or rather RAF Cranwell) and Newton's Fraction (Grantham) HMs are about 90 mins drive for me, but neither have good PB potential (and Sleaford is a bit sooner than I would like). Then there's Milton Keynes and Silverstone which seem to be flat and good terrain, but both about 2.5 hours away. Perhaps I'll just have to be patient and plug away at parkrun for now - at least it's free!

• KR, Gul - no plan B and not much compensation - latter especially as I've already got a similarly loud if different coloured Gamesmaker raincoat.  Don't like wearing things that say "look at me, aren't I virtuous".  Unfortunately Manchester clashes with date for sons rugby tour and Brighton is teh day after we come back from ski hols in Whistler. 

Not the end of the world, I've got 2 options left ... so suppose I do have a Plan B (assuming I can convince myself to do one, might just take the rejection as a sign I shouldn't):
    1. club 'rejects ballot' &/or auction
    2. Milton Keynes on May Bank Holiday

• Jezza: I still have my FLM fleece from the only time I had to go through the ballot (2003, I think).  To add insult to injury it is 'one size fits all', a phrase which is clearly b*ll*cks.  If it fits Matthew Pinsent it is not going to fit me, and let's not pretend otherwise.  It nearly reaches my knees.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I got a VLM fleece last year, only cost £10 but unfotunately several sizes too big- it looks more like a night coat on me and I'm 6 ft 1.

I hear the FLM ballot rejections are out now for next year....

• Unlucky Jezza - Not sure if you can count skiing as a taper....

Birch -  good luck with the MRI results

KR - rapid reps old boy

• Wouldve been the perfect tapir for VLM Mennania, but rather too close for Brighton (woulld prob struggle to wake up in time!). Never mind
  • One size fits all indeed Jools! Ridiculous they can't be bothered to ask people to simply say what size they'd like. Same with finishers tshirts, which of course should be (a) wicking (b) handed out at the expo. But don't let me get started -VLM's not perfect but it is great and cheap. If you get in.
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

Birch - fingers crossed for the scan results and recovery plan.

• Indeed Birch fingers are collectively crossed.

It's true that VLM seems like decent value in these inflated days. The Chester mara for example is now 44.50/46.50 for late entries - WTF? And there are worse culprits.

Surely getting a FINISHER tshirt at the expo is tempting the running gods to dish out a whopping great dose of humble pie?.....it ain't right.

X training today, shifted quantities of fresh manure onto the veg beds. Pongy but healthy.

Onward and upward everyone
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Ehh.....just received my congrats your in mag. image but I'll keep quiet about it for now.

DM- that is a great effort in itself, completing the pd plan and avoiding any niggles. Let's hope the taper goes without trouble and not too much madness. You should be full of confidence come race day.

KR- you are certainly flying at the moment.

Gul- well done on the injury free year and I know what you mean, re. Long journeys to a race. No more than an hours travel for me, apart from VLM.

I'm running a local 10K on Sunday (Mortimer). It's my PB course from 2010, so its about time I cracked it, feeling quite sharp at the moment so fingers crossed.
  • Poacher wrote (see)
    Surely getting a FINISHER tshirt at the expo is tempting the running gods to dish out a whopping great dose of humble pie?.....it ain't right. 

but we're not in it to finish Poacher, we're afletes.  Just easier on logistics - Boston do it that way I thought and other big cities too.  Medals to only be available at the finish line of course

• Jezza - very fair point and yes Boston, NYC and Chicago give out the shirt at the expo which works well but the difference is that only in Berlin in my experience did the pre-race shirt say 'finisher'. The cruelty of endurance sport is that it's entirely possible to get not far off the finish and DNF in spectacular style. As some of us have found out....
  • Fingers crossed for you Birch for the 9th. 

Jezza - how come you need the ballot? Surely you're GFA? 

No training for me today - accidental tapiring. First off that bloody dog that bit me in February went for me again this morning, leaving me a quivering wreck for most of the day, then I left work to find some git had nicked my number plates and left me a random one on the back stuck on with double sided tape. Had to drive home illegally and waste my evening on the phone to the police and insurance company then go to Halfords for some new ones- more illegal driving. Too shattered to contemplate running. 

I am trying to pretend the tapir isn't happening KR. I hate it. 

• What a rubbish day Speedy, sorry to hear about that! Weird with the number plate thief.

My GFA is out of date as last marafun was 2010. You had me wondering for a minute though.

Poacher - at the risk of sounding racist, typical German efficiency to assume that ze people who register must finish. Btw, looks like they've got beyond the one size fits all approach, for rejects at least. Still don't expect to wear it.
  • Interesting day Speedy!

Sounds like a very solid campaign DM - excellent work sir

Good luck Birch. Is the knee still behaving?

Day off today since plantar fasciitis has been aggravated again, left foot just won't clear up and gets really sore if I run hard for a couple of days in a row image

On the plus side I'm in Geneva! My son managed to wangle a place in the CERN control room tomorrow - all I had to do was pay for flights, hotels and bring him over. Bargain. I'll ask him not to destroy the universe by pushing the wrong buttons, I've got a 10k on Sunday. It would be a shame to miss that.....
  • Gul, there is an excellent flat half marathon in Leicesterhire called the Belvoir half marathon in April. It's a good flat course (got my PB there) and in a village called Hose, just north of Melton Mowbray. Might be on the cusp of travelling for you but looks like it quite close to Grantham? Not done it for a few years as it's 2 weeks before London/Brighton/Paris.

Jezza - rejection from London the other year led me to enter Brighton (before it got popular), so there is always a plan B for the taking. Milton Keynes looks an okay course, Clubmate came 3rd this year in the torrential rain.

Jools, those one size fits all garments are a joke. Still trying to batter my VLM tee into submission in the tumble dryer to get it to shrink - it's not worked. Although ironically other things have shrunk, such is life!

Poacher - Interesting x training there, let's hope it leads you to be as fast as sh1t off a shovel!

Moof, good luck in your weekend 10k race and good to feel sharp & confident going into it - mash it! Congrats on getting your magazine BTW!

6 miles tonight in 40.01, with mile 1 in 7.09 and mile 6 in 7.22 - there were a few HM miles inbetween. The best feeling was running past the 1 mile + long queue of rush hour tailbacks image.