Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Be afraid OO! image

• Options
    DS2 wrote (see)

Had one 6 month period at proper training and did ok. Half in 75:30, 20 Miles in 2:01 and marathon in 2:44 but then went back to hockey. Have been a has-been ever since. Now I'm getting near 50 and regretting it so told myself I have one last chance to be deservedly on this thread!!! We'll see.

That is a hell of a 6 month period and the marathon time probably reflects that a bit: you need a few to get into the swing of it. I had similar half and 20 milers (my 20 was just inside 2 hours) as a senior but my marathon never happened and crash and burns etc left me at 2:5x. Has-been is a strong term especially at the longer distances where the tail off happens much mater in life. It is pretty much true that you won't win an open race when 50 is approaching (not unheard of but unlikely) but you can still be competitive in the open and if you look at WAVA grading you can compare yourself over the years. I am now knocking off the odd WAVA 80% + and as a youngster I ws just under so I think I am racing better now than I was then.

Off running for a few weeks to try and let the foot recover so taken up cycling on my old mountain bike (solid steel frame and concrete tyres, built for effort and not speed) and trying to find new routes as my running routes are not cycle friendly  (and neither are London's roads).

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Enjoy the lycra PMJ! A difficult but wise choice.

Are you based in Gloucester itself Blisters? I grew up just 4 miles away and was a member of Glos City CC for many years (my dad is still active in the club).

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Interesting stuff, PMJ - at 58 I'm definitely a has-been - times in my "heyday" similar to DS2 - half 75:58, 20m 2:04, mara 2:46;  so soft marathon.  WAVA for the mara (age 36) 76.4, last mara 3:20 (age 57) 73.6 (albeit harder course/conditions than PB ). Of course WAVA grading, whilst being a handy indicator, doesn't take into account the years of battering your legs have taken -  5 years running prior to PB, 26 before latest.  Last sub-3 was age 47 (2:57 = 76.6 WAVA), so a good one, but downhill since . . . . . . btw, OO, your recent form indicates sub-3 at 50 is on - be great if you make it . . .

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Meant to add- good luck with the journey back to running, PMJ - definitely can empathise with the non-running frustration . . . . .

• Options

Sometimes enforced rest and time is the only viable option. Hope it recovers soon PMJ.

What success rate have they quoted you on the op Birch?

• Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Pretty good, tks, Menna - had same on other knee 4 yrs ago and have raced 2 maras and other stuff since (XC also) with no probs. However, I now have the quandary of "do I have the op"?  Last 3 weeks I have run 3 times per week, 45 miles in total ( not a lot, admittedly) but a longest of 9, with NO pain at all, or reaction. Intuitively, it feels healed, but may not be, in terms of standing up to what I still wish to do. Think I'll e-mail consultant . . . . . .
    You have any plans for 2013? 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Blisters/PMJ/Birch - Really enjoyed reading your posts. I always felt the mara time was soft compared to my other times and the point about only having a proper run at it for 6  months is probably the most relevant. With reference to Blisters post, I recognise that the tergats are extremely stretching. I've always done that - shoot for the stars and all that......I have had to give myself a plan and the forthcoming milestone has given me a new lease of life, not least because of what I've read on here about others around my age. I do realise these tergats may not be achievable but they are a long way off to give up on now. I did think about aiming for 3;20 next spring and 3;10 in 2014 and if I need to revise to those I will do but for now I'm going to continue to take inspiration from this thread and see what happens.

PMJ - that sounds wise. I started cycling only a few years ago when I had a PF injury and found pounding the pavements wasn't helping. I'll never be a Keir, but I really enjoy it - but not as much as running. I'm sure you'll enjoy it but cycling is a lot more technical than I first realised. have had a few scrapes - so be careful.

I saw an old mate from Hockey last night who in 2011 ran VLM in a negative split 3:32 with not a lot of training other than hockey and some long runs. This year he decided to take it quite seriously and hoped to break 3:10 but blew up and finished in 3:23. This guy is and looks fit and 33 years old. It really brought it home to me when I looked at him and thought about what I'm aiming to do. The only thing against him was he was combining training for a marathon and playing National League hockey which I couldn't do back in the 90's. It does make you realise how much you have to respect the distance though!

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Just had a missed call on my mobile - or rather I ignored it assuming it to be sales. Then my wife texted to say 'Someone from Runners World is trying to get hold of you. What the hell have you put yourself forward for now?!!!'

Anyhow seems I'm shortlisted for the Asics 26.2. Does anyone have any experience of this. I think I'm off to bootcamp - would that be right?

Never expected to have to explain myself to the Mrs!!! Doh!!!

• Options

Blisters - now you do!!!

You said that you don't know anybody who broke 3 hrs for the first time at age 50+

Started running at 49 did my first marathon at 50 (London), did my first sub 3 at the age of 54 (02:58:xx). Sub 3 and pb again this year (02:57:xx) at the age of 56.

I have to admit to lurking on these forums but know absolutely nothing of the technical aspects. Have never read a book and literally do not understand most of the technical terms. VO2 MAX? anaerobic/aerobic? DOMS? Hadds? P&D? Don't stretch and have never measured my heart rate - could be scary at my age!

All I do know is that it involved an awful lot of running and it is amazing how the body can improve even at my creaky old age!

• Options

DS 2 - Brilliant news and good luck! I planned to do it this year but managed to forget to enter! Knight Rider can fill you in as he got onto the programme last year.

Birch - Back at VLM next year with an undefined target - will be either sub 3.10 or something a  little bit more ambitious. Have a half early feb to help me decide - if I get sub 83 I will consider a sub 3 depending upon how the training goes. The long lay off has set me back but i just need to figure out what is realistic over the enxt couple of months and then to opt for the 55 or 77 P + D. I will be back upto 30 miles hopefully by the end of next week. My shoulder success rae was 85% - but it looks like I might  one of the 15 image.. It is still not back to being as good/bad as it was pre op yet.

• Options

X Post One Gear - pretty inspiring stats there! I am creaking and am only 43!

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Indeed One Gear- your one gear seems to be top gear image

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

DS2 - well done!  Are you allow to broadcast it......?

• Options
    Just a quick pop in. Good to see some new bloods.

Must heck out the Asics thingy and stick in a vote

Just chugging away up here on post marathon legs. How on earth do people do shorter distance PBs in the recovery phase??

Some great stats from the peri-50 crew. I'd love to tickle lower and lower as I approach 50. Inspirational stuff indeed ....
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    One gear - amazing. Just the inspiration I need!

I'm only at the bootcamp stage. No one mentioned keeping quiet but think it may be best. Was just really surprised to get call.
  • Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Fraser -  I reckon if you've given it your all in the marathon there's nothing left afterwards.  That's my story anyway. image

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

PMJ - hope that the rest period does the trick for you.

I'm another that hopes to run a sub3 aged 50, only a few years to go.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I've just had a look at VLM 2012 results to see how many men/women age 50+ ran sub 3.  There were 69 men (55 of those age 50-54) but in the women there was only 1 and only 15 between the ages of 40 - 49! 

• Options
    TRTR ✭✭✭

Minni - if you're going to compare men to women then you should be more like 2:45 vs 3:00. But I guess there's more men than women anyway so the comparison might not work.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Yes, we need someone to work out the % of men running that time etc.  Interesting though.  I checked it out because it seems quite normal for men to be talking about running these fast marathon times as they mature but how many woman of a similar age on here talk along the same lines?  Not many.

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Sorry to talk football but that was the best goal I've ever seen!
  • Options
    DS- great news. Would be interested to get the low down on how it works. Where are you Knight rider?

Week 4 PD recovery- 10 mile aerobic 8 min/mile scheduled. Felt in the groove from mile 1 so just ran a nice steady comfortable pace and tried not to work too hard. Had one of those nights where everything felt easy. Came in at average pace 7.06 and finished last mile at half pace 6.15. Definitely not in the PD book but what the hell. image I think recovery is complete! Bring on the sub 18 park run.
  • Options
    DS- absolute class player. Take note Rooney et al. This is what you call a real world class player. Not sure about those tattoos though!
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Minni - possibly because up men haven't grown up and are less realistic!
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    He sure is DM.

Slight correction from earlier. I think I'm only on shortlist to go to bootcamp. Not actually there yet. We'll see!
  • Options

DS2 - I don't think you were supposed to tell us. It was admittedly a little different when I did it for the GNR, but it was Top Secret until RW made the announcement. Don't worry, though, we won't tell! image

• Options
    The above messages will self destruct in 30 seconds. image
  • Options
    Hi folks,like Fraser ticking over here too,trying to keep the old body going ready for the build up to London.Though i am running some club races and the odd xc race.

For the record I clocked my 1st sub 3 a few weeks ago with a 2.57xx as a vet 50

Nothing special in the training but as TR would say,consistent running.

DS2 good luck with the asics boot amp.

PMJ. Hope the foot heals quick,enjoy the mt bike.
  • Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭
    Speedy- think you are probably right but wasn't told that. Hope it doesn't prove costly. Not saying another word.