Sub 3h15

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Welcome back BOTF. I was a returner a couple of months ago myself.

On the face of it, Keir's advice seems sensible.....but when were marathon runners ever sensible?

Well done on the 3:07 by the way. I'd fallen off my bike and injured myself by then so was sulking and avoiding forums.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Amazing how quickly the form slips away BOTF. You'll have your work cut out for a sub 3.

Well the dentist made a right mess of my mouth, my gums are black with heavy stitching, Only to discover no serious issues just a patch up and anti-biotics. He's told me not to run for 2 days, but I'll rest tomorrow and if all is well Sunday it will be a long slow run to get me to 35 for the week.

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Happy returns, BOTF - and well done on finding an event you can win untrained !! 
    Speaking of which, have now cancelled my Dec 6th knee op. The (excellent) consultant advised that as I can now run 2 hours (albeit really slowly), he considers surgery unnecessary. The best thing, though, is he has arranged to see me in 3 months for a review, and also says if I have any deterioration or reaction in the meantime, I can fix an appointment.  So, I wouldn't have to go back to square one and the GP visit.  Just have to be sensible now image . . . . . .

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Great news there Birch, esp as he will see you gain in 3 months.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Birch - that's great news on all fronts. I can imagine a non runner gasping at you needing an op when you can run two hours.

BOTF - sorry to hear you've been on the bench so long. Here's hoping you're on the road to recovery.

Thanks for the music tips. Really looking forward to getting some in my iPod and trying them out.

Still can't decide whether to race tomorrow or not. I feel fine but still coughing.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Welcome back BotF, go easy getting back into it and well done on the win.

Great news for you Birch, its very frustrating trying to get over a persistent injury. Runners and knees don't really get on too well do they.

The last couple of mornings I've had a stiff (easy!) achilles and can feel the right one grumble slightly when out for a run tonight. Ha! Only said last week that I'm niggle free, that'll teach me to open my big mouth.

I am now writing the alphabet with my feet. (Much to my wifes annoyance.)
  • Great news Birch

Welcome back BOTF, build sensibly and you might surprise yourself!

Ha, the curse of the runner Moof. Easy to curse yourself with thoughts of "oh I say, isn't everything going swimmingly at the moment?" (yes my internal dialogue does sound like that I'm afraid). Might chance a very short jog this weekend, then again....
  • Apologies for not reading back folks (except to say great news Birch and welcome back BOTF), but just popped in to say that my dad passed away peacefully yesterday afternoon with all the family at his side. After a long battle, it's good to know he is now at rest and the family are all there to support one another. Thanks for all your best wishes these last few weeks; it's much appreciated. I'll be back around soon; enjoy your running.

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Gul, that is sad news. Thoughts are with you and your family, take care.
  • Gul - difficult to find the right words, but it's good to hear that you and your family are all there for one another. My thoughts are with you all.
  • Gul - very sorry for your loss. Take care.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Thinking of you Gul. Look after yourself and your family. 

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Sorry to hear that Gul. Take care. x
  • Sorry for your loss Gul. My thoughts are with you and your family
  • Take care, Gul.  Thoughts with you and yours.

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Gul - so sorry to hear that. Take care.

• Gul- sorry to hear about loss. Take care
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

sad news, Gul - thoughts are with you.  

• Thoughts with you and yours Gul but also take care of yourself and get out for a few runs now and then to  keep ticking over and look at things from a different angle.

Keir wrote (see)

The 26.2 +60sec worked pretty well the last 2 campaigns PMJ. I think I am lacking a bit of endurance, so have something a bit longer and slower in mind this time image

Keir, you lacking endurance is like saying a giraffe lacks height. You have to be one of the best endurance athletes on the forum given your cycling background. I think where you may need bolstering is speed endurance (and not much of that if the truth be known) so over length is an excuse for fun (nothing wrong with that) and not a training tip.

Ran 3 miles yesterday and then parkrun this morning (inaugural at Upton Park) in 19:48 so pretty pleased that the month off has not killed everything: the cycling has definitely helped. Will try and salvage a cross country season now and I reckon lots of hill training (soft under foot so good for the feet, short distances so again good, hard work so cardio good as well) will probably be the tactic.

• Thinking of you Gul, at least he is now at peace. 

Welcome back BOTF, I did wonder where you'd gone. 

Birch - excellent news, so pleased to hear it!

Another muddy parkrun for me this morning. This time I managed just a little faster than HM PB pace, for maybe a teeny bit less effort than last week. I feel so far from fitness though. I can't even get close to 10k pace. For a 5k. Shocking!

• Our thoughts and prayers are with you Gul. As the others say, these things can help people see the bigger picture.
    BOTF: Another long term absentee lurches back into the fray and wonders why all the flexible bits of body are as tight as a piano wire. Slowly slowly matey. In my comeback I've been finding that training volume has had a negative effect, but was able to rebuild the distance/endurance fairly quickly. Obviously the pace went south with the swallows. Biking has helped rebuild stamina and endurance without damaging knees and stuff** too much (**arse excepted).
    PMJ: Cross country eh? That's what our roads are like.

I've done cock all this week, except for today's 37 miles on a bike. It could have been colder, wetter, windier, muddier and hillier. But it had a go at doing all of them at the same time. We all agreed that the short ride option was the preferred choice.

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Sorry to hear of your loss Gul - take care.

Good to see BOTF back.

I seem to be struggling with the pre-marathon training base building phase and having lost 10 days to a niggly ankle joint the progress required in the next 3 weeks to be ready for the P&D 55-70 schedule is looking a little ambitiousimage

Today's sports massage will hopefully helpimage

• Gul Thoughts are with you and your family

BOTF Welcome back

Birch Great news about the non op

• Running did not help my neck pain so back on the bench...

• That's not good news Jools, can you still play?

Are we doing Jantastic again in 2013 folks? 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Very sorry for your loss Gul- though you seem to be handling with the right perspective.

Can you believe it was a beatiful (if cold) day in the North East- very suprised. I skipped the parkrun due to my gum problems but the mouth feels OK so it's a bit run tomorrow to salvage a crap week. Sounds like quite a few of us are off form or injured at the same time.  Though I hear Minni has some good news for us.... 

• Gul. So sorry for your loss, take care.

Birch. That is great news keep a sensible head on, not that you need reminding...

Jools think your neck pain just has to run its course. Although uncomfortable I found sleeping with a neck support collar helped me a few years back.good luck.

As for me a still chugging away 30-40m per week trying not to get crocked.

Take care all,
  • Sorry to hear your bad news Gul. Good that all the family were around and hope that you are all coping in this difficult time.

• MsEMsE ✭✭✭
    So sorry to hear of your father passing away, Gul. I hope the forthcoming months are not too difficult and you are your family are able to settle back into life without him. I have realised though that it is less about a life without those who have left us and more about one where you miss their physical presence. In some ways, their absence makes their impact on you all the more profound. I'm probably only saying what you already know but wanted to let you know my thoughts are very much with you.

Very pleased to hear you are back on track, Birch!