Sub 3h15

Comments

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Mennania - thanks! Yes another pre-work convert. Excellent. I rarely wear my leggings either but have got a bit wimpier in recent years (not as wimpy as Freemers - obviously). Usually, when I do wear them I regret it about 2 miles in.

BOTF - that's bad news. Sorry to hear that. It's never easy being on these forums when you are injured and others are planning their spring marafun attempts. I know from bitter experience image. However, I wish I'd stayed involved more in the past because it's good for the motivation. Especially since nearly everyone on here would have suffered a major injury at some time. Wishing you a speedy recovery.

• BOTF Bad news. 3 weeks off, is it not possible to build up and then go for a 12 week schedule?

After the "golf ball" last night and ice and drugs and compression. I woke a couple of times with pain, so I wore my compression sock all morning. Took it off this afternoon and pain free.

I decided to risk a run, but I would stop if any pain whatsoever. No pain and once warmed up all very nice. 8 miles at 7:15 pace with last 3 at 6:37 pace. Slight niggle now, but I expected that. Ice and drugs and compression, plus rest day tomorrow. 

• Good luck DS2, excellent news Jools, I'm glad to hear that the mud of Brizzle is going to get a serious churning. Scooby, what are you trying to do? Kill or cure? Mennania, we haven't really communicated, but 10 miles before work sounds like you are either a part timer or a flipping early riser! I know that you are struggling BOTF, but it always seems to be worse when you're in the midst of an injury/recovery. I'd recommend that you start to think about all those positives of summer running. Like daylight, warmth, suntan opportunity, avoiding hypothermia, not getting covered in sht, and being able to train when on holiday. If you're out there in the heat of a foreign morning means that you get the respect of the locals and visitors. Forget pace, it's simply about miles and hills. I had one summer training daily up and down some gurt big feckoff hill in Jamaica that turned out to be the stomping ground of one U Bolt. Never saw him though. I did get a good result in the autumn though.

Er, yeah, I think that I'm on for a rest day today. 20th January is not being taken seriously as a 3:15 target. 3:28 without stopping would be fine. Negative split would be good. I do need to dig out a proper long run shortly though.

• It is officially winter. I decided this when I went out for a run in gloves and my hands were still so cold that my fingers were throbbing and I struggled to retrieve my key from my pocket and open the door. The long tights have been worn three times now, and I wasn't too warm on any of those occasions. 

• Good luck tomorrow DS2. As far as gear is concerned, just go prepared for all weather! Could be cooler i the morning than after lunch?

• Scooby Dudek wrote (see)

BOTF bad news. 3 weeks off, is it not possible to build up and then go for a 12 week schedule?

I've barely run since May and have done no other exercise either, so even assuming I'm given the all-clear in 3 weeks time, I just don't think there'll be enough time for me to get back to at least GFA pace. If I can't do that then I'd rather defer the place to 2014.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

70 days till VLM apparently image

Great news that you are off the bench Scooby and Jools. 

Driving up to my parents place in your neck of the woods later on Blisters. Do you live in Gloucester itself?

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Which calendar did you get that from then Keir ? Must be a special Teachers one.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

"Oh Oops!

Where did I get 70 days from???

The marathon is actually 4 months and 20 days away, so please relax, and enjoy…

With kind regards,

Lesley

RNLI Events Team

RNLI "

• Blisters - I am a drag my sorry arse out of bed to get it out of the way type.  One of the advantages of working for a family owned (not mine) regional business is that there is little clock watching so I did my run, got showered and bumbled along to a 9 oclock meeting with the client 5 mins down the road. All nice and relaxed. When I see what some of the peeps do on this thread and still run it makes my head spin to be honest.

Scooby - nice test run. I must try it next time I am coming back from injuryimage

• Keir, yes I do live in Gloucester on sea itself. We've got an invasion from the in-laws this weekend so I'll be hard pushed to squeeze much selfish me time. The hills and woods are a bit mucky, so I'd recommend the Innov8s or other studdies if you're going to go for an off-roader. I love trotting along the Cotswold Way: just follow the signs until it's time to turn round and run back to the car!

Mennania oh the joys of being able to work 5 minutes from home. Actually, I find that it's the kids that tell tales on me to the Household Manager. They can add an intonation to the phrase "Dad went out for a run" to make it sound like "Dad murdered the old lady from across the street".

Anyway, working from home today, but is actually involving some working from home for a change.

• TRTR ✭✭✭

Bet you do a long run today though Blisters - in day light !

Keir - I nearly believed you, but I know its always more than 16 weeks once we get to January. Let me know when its 8 weeks to go and I'll start my campaign ! 

• I'd like to TR, but I've got this bad feeling that there aren't enough hours. Not only that, the pool is shut for repairs or a gala or something Fri/Sat/Sun.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

image Kier DONT DO THAT!

• Keir wrote (see)
    knight rider wrote (see)

Keir - you still use a video and VHS tapes?

Yep. image

Respect to the old technology. We have still got a CD player with a tape deck in the house. KIds these days wouldn't have the patience to sit there and rewind a tape/video all the way back to the beginning?

Keir wrote (see)
    knight rider wrote (see)

Keir - you still use a video and VHS tapes?

Yep. image

Little keir No. 3 woke at 4.15 at which point I felt so tired I 're-evaluated' the wisdom of setting my alarm for 5.30am. Reset for 1hr later and I have taken a rest day instead. I've a long day at work - after work staff training followed by governors meeting so I feel justified in removing a 90min run from a 14hr work day. 

Definately getting colder. Is anyone still in shorts?

TR wrote (see)

Bet you do a long run today though Blisters - in day light !

Keir - I nearly believed you, but I know its always more than 16 weeks once we get to January. Let me know when its 8 weeks to go and I'll start my campaign ! 

I did an early run this morning out if the door by 6.30. Felt weird as it was still dark for most of the way.

• 6 for me tonight and a 12 tomorrow early doors, few hours putting a roof on at home then the last of the autumn internationalsimage.  WFH always brings the temptation to skew your hours and do a daylight run for me.

Sorry KR but the CD is dead, tapes are for nostalgia only - Streaming is the only way. There is just so much available.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

VHS is BRILLIANT for kids! 20p videos from the charity shop - you stop them and the automatically start up in exactly the same place. My boys are really into Button Moon  at the moment!

Also so easy to record from TV onto a tape. I am sure the picture quality is better with a flat screen HD tv with Blueray DVD, but if it is just a tv programme I am recording, I just like the convience of a VHS (I have a deep, cathode ray tv as well!)

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    We went all sky+ a few months back and its completely changed our lives! Constant arguments with lack of recording space left on the hard drive. Who the hell series links coro noro and is it such a big deal that I deleted the last episode of downton abbey bollox.

Give me tapes any day, at least you can hide them...ahem.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Joolska, glad to hear the neck is on the mend.

BotF- sorry to hear your injury isn't on the mend. Must be very frustrating for you.

Those are very impressive stats on the bike keir.

Running tights and gloves for me now the temperature has dropped. They really do show off my knobbly knees.

I'm off for a trial run down the Kennet towpath after work to try out my new head torch, if I don't report in by about 9 this evening can somebody send out a search party.
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

knight rider- I still have a record player to play my LP's. image

We had Sky when we lived abroad but can't bring myself to pay the cost now.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

I banned Sky from my house because of the cost.  Now my son's U13 rugby team is going to be filmed training, for 3 live feeds on Sky Sports tomorrow starting at 7 am, and I'm not going to be able to see him.  image image 

• Personal longest of 17m planned for tomorrow to make 41m for the week, looking forward to it as weather looks to be cold and clear (last 4 weeks' LSRs have been 15,15,15,16). I am wondering whether to try to hit a 20-miler by Christmas before starting an 18 week P&D plan in Jan. Or should I be more focused on consolidating my MLRs (currently at a usual 10m)?

Also I realise I'm going to be getting through shoes at a quicker rate than I'm used to. Do people go by the 500m rule-of-thumb I've read about? I've recently retired (but not yet binned) some 500m+ shoes which you'd be hard pressed to tell from a new pair. I'd rather replace them too often than give myself an injury, but ...

• moof, I'm with you on the recording business. Slightly different technology (BT Vision) but I'm constantly losing my programmes due to series recordings of Strictly, Grand Designs, Dani's house and other inexplicable stuff. image

• In work we currently finish on a Friday and have cocktails (made by the crew). Today I gave them my Ships Christmas present of a 3CD box set of 62 Christmas songs. The comments about CDs were quite offensive. Apparently only oldies have CDs.

We iplayer etc for most of our shows at home. Have all Sky channels whilst away, but I realise how little of it I actually watch.

Lunch On shoes, I used to stick to the 500 mile rule, but now I go by feel. Some I have gotten rid of early and some a lot later. I try and have 2 pairs on the go, so if I feel something I will change shoes and see if the niggle changes.

Keir Are you fund raising for the RNLI ? (Judging from you e-mail from Lesley)

Calf slight niggle today, but fine this afternoon. Rest day today so no running.

• Retro tech ahoy!

We still have a proper old school record player with tape decks but there are also 11 (yes, 11) iPods/iPhones/iPad in the house and 4 docking stations. Far better quality than vinyl (although the cupboards full of plastic and CDs always look like you actually have a tangible product).

Even moved to kindle recently, the thought of which used to make me shudder but my wife is a prolific reader so it has probably paid for itself already.

Have started more structured swim sessions following the first few swim sessions in Fink's Ironfit book (on kindle!) and feel like my technique is improving which is nice. 45min spin today, swim again tonight - foot still not up to running.

PS, sky+ is excellent you bunch of Ludditesimage
  • You lot are sooooo cutting edge. I don't even have a tin opener (theres a useful thing on a 40y.o. Swiss army knife that does the trick)

It's chuffing parky out there, well below freezing, good luck to anyone out there running at Gul o'clock tomorrow

I was in Trafalgar Square today and wandered past Chandos - whose round is it next time? Minni must be loaded after saving all that money on Sky.....
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭

As last year Poacher, if I get sub 3:15 it'll be champers all round!

Its so cold here.  Never been above freezing.  And its darker than anywhere else.  My town is very small and so street lights are limited and I'm running round and round the same roads night after night.  image  (Previously I've been able to sneak away during the day for runs but that's not possible at the moment).  Better be worth it come April!

Where's Ant by the way? 

• If its going to be proper vintage champers, then maybe a small 3.14.59 train would be in order.....mine's a pint of Dom Perignon with a sparkler in it....