Sub 3h15

Comments

• 3.3M to parkrun; 1 hour in the rain marshalling*; 8.7M home, by which time the heavens had really opened.  Just running a nice hot bath now!

* Was actually on barcodes under a gazebo, thank god!

• 5m tempo in the rain at 6.30 am- was strangely invigorating, and pleased with pace

Now off to Uni reunion in Glasgow so will have rest day on train tomorrow 

• It's raining here in the North East too, and blowing up a minor gale. Parkrun was hard work, and somewhat sloppy underfoot in places. Much less boggy than Colwick though. 

Bonkers Lorenzo? Who? Us? Naaaah image

• moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Well done on the PB, Joolska.

Managed 9 miles last night with 4 at tempo at 6.24 pace. Struggled to get heart rate up above 87% and found it hard to get the legs to turn over at speed. Must have been all the mince pies and chocolates I kept shoving down my face all day.

I'm supposed to get out for an easy 5 miles today but its pi$$ing down and I'm slightly hung over (again).

Well done all for getting out.
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

PMJ, I find I can do better specifics (pace) at races (even though not racing them) plus I tend to just plod if by my self on my own runs.

Bramley is there as is a Road race legeage event for Hampshire (despite being in Berks) and The Welsh one is a regular day out, this will be my 4th running there over the last 6 years or so... plus is a great run.

But thats the joy of know that we are al different and approach our training in different ways.

a very wet and boggy parkrun today....

• Sorry you've had rubbish weather over there today; in contrast here it's been really unseasonable, some would say suspiciously so. Whatever, as I was warming up for the my race today at 4.30 p.m. it was 20ºC and sunny. I worked up a good sweat, and at 5.00 the gun went and we were off for the 8kms de Castrillón.

In fact, it's 8.4kms, as I mentioned before, and while I referred to it as flattish, that would be from the perspective of someone race fit. For someone overweight and undertrained however, it's a leg-breaking rollercoaster of a b***er, and it WILL find you out.

The first 3kms towrds the seaside resort of Salinas were o.k. (3:55, 3:54 & 3:52) but after that I began to really blow out of my proverbial a**e, and it was all a bit of a struggle. Kms 4 and 5 (4:02 & 4:06) told the story and then effectively it's a steady climb back to Piedras Balncas, where we'd started. I dug in as best I could, but found it increasingly hard to hold onto any sort of pace (4:13, 4:15 & 4:17imageimage). The last 400m are a up-and-over slog to the finish, and a goodly crowd spurred me on to muster a half-a**ed sprint (3:43/km pace) to come home in 34:13 for an av 4:03/km (6:30mm).

A good deal slower than I'd hoped for but at least it's another race bagged, I am quite happy with my workrate and it should serve as a benchmark as I start Spring marathon training.

Above all, I noticed that where I was found wanting was in my lungs and my head - my legs and other bodily bits held up all right - and considering I thought I might have to pack the whole running lark in due to injury a month or so ago, I'll take that.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Where's Keir? He needs to check the threads ....image
  • TRTR ✭✭✭

That Meon Valley Plod is a local race to me, never fancied ploughing through mud and running up and over Butser Hill. One of the dads at Cricket did it one year though and said that they gave him some fruitcake and a nip of Rum at one of the feed stations.

• Ant, that's the same pace as I managed today, but mine was only 5km. Well, 5.08km due to the diversion. I didn't have to contend with a randomly 'hot' day either. Or any hills. So you're well ahead of me already. 

Have just arranged to meet someone on the Moor tomorrow for some XC practice. They have a couple of big b*****d hills on there, not to mention the bogs. 

• Well done for braving the weather folks (apart from Ant aka jammy git). Good to hear some baselines are being set and very pleasing to hear of Ant's robust bodily parts - muy bien.

Enjoy the muck Speedy!
  • Minni, what's Keir been up to?
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

I assume you did the Newcastle parkun Speedy? I did Whitley Bay in driving rain and a fuzzy head, resulting in a dismal 19:44, but most times were down to be fair.

Another rubbish week so I'll have to pull my finger out tomorrow- 16 minimum I hope.

Got a call from work today to say an employee was stabbed to death on a night out- what a country we live in...  

• 3 recovery last night. 5 plodded out tonight and 12 due tomorrow

Anyonehad a precision hydration test done(h2 prohydrate)?  Having a vo2 max test done as a christmas pressy from the missus and they are suggesting this would help. given I am an eternal sceptic I have my reservations. Weather has been carp up hear but this time I have managed to dodge it.

• Awful news OO, truly awful.

POEGWTAM Interesting Christmas present, sounds gruelling but enlightening

Nice race Ant, you will be pretty good shape in April I suspect. It really is foul in blighty. Parkrun was the muddiest/wettest in memory, some ringers turned up so I was down to 3rd in an unspectacular 19.33

On the plus side, there's a massive bread and butter pud in the oven, num num
  • Shocking news OO!

Menna, cool pressie for the VO2max test - let us know how it goes. Do they charge extra for the sweat test then? I'd say if it's cheap do it - might be interesting. If it isn't cheap I'd not bother unless I had serious concerns about / history of cramping or terrible performance in hotter conditions. And even if that was the case you could always drink more and put more salt on your chips! They are only trying to sell you a lifetime dependence on their drink tabs after all!image

My son had a sweat test done a couple of years ago in hospital to assess sodium levels as part of a medical investigation (used as an indicator of cystic fibrosis) and got a v high score the first time and a "much closer to normal" score a fortnight later (much to our relief). Moral of the story, if the test is a bit unreliable, and they use the same method then how can you then have a tailored, precision "hydration solution". May as well just guess....but hey, as I say, if it was cheap I'd have it done anyway just for a laugh.
  • OO - I saw that on the local news. It jumped out at me as I share the poor fellow's surname. No relation that I'm aware of. The Charltons' are fairly prolific in the North East. But yes, Toonrun it was. Whitley Bay is too much of a trek for 5k. I could be tempted to give Gateshead a go sometime though. 

Mennania - a what? Never heard of it! image

• I googled it Speedy image
  • Great pressie Mennanias. I 'almost' got one for Christmas but spent too long deciding on a VO2 or lactate test, and by then spent too much money at the sports clinic on physio.

Bad week of running this week. So far managed 44 miles, 35 of which were rowing. At least the rowing can be put to use in this weather. I'm Destined to end the year injured.
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    That's a shocker, OO.

Mennania- nice prez, just hope you don't have to unwrap it and do it on Christmas day.

Great race report for this time of year, Ant.
  • OO Terrible news. What a country indeed.

Men Not sure if I would enjoy that present. Results should be interesting.

Ant Nice base to build from. Great result when put into context.

5 miles recovery this morning. Legs still felt painful after yesterdays physio attack. Strange run at 9:06 mm at 63% was bang on, however it never felt like fun.

• OO - Dreadful news. Yes, there really are some evil people about. This story really chilled me to the bone, as well. Poor little boy, it breaks my heart.

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Blimey OO. Was that up this neck of the woods?

SJ - my son had the same tests when he was just under 3 months old. We spent a very worrying 5 days in hospital with him but everything was good in the end. He's never been bothered with anything since. It was particularly upsetting because our second baby was still born a couple of years before. image
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

South Shields Minni- but in can happen anywhere these days.

We have some wind blowing oop North- 16 miles in this could be a challenge image

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Horrible news OO. After 20minths travelling round the world without incident, including hitch-hicking round dodgy parts of south africa, I visited a make at Loughborough and had the shit kicked out of me by some drunks at 6pm sat eve outside Argos whilst waiting for the bus home. Apparently it was my own fault, for having 'girly looking hair'

Lots of local flooding and puddles across the roads on my 8miler last night. So glad: 1, I asked for sealskin socks for Xmas 2. My wife let me open a present early! They are brilliant!

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Kier you failed to draw on your key skills in those situations- run like hell

18 miles done in some serious winds. Pace suffered with a humble 9:20 avg. per mile.

Salvaged 30 miles from a heavy week, now it's time to use the holiday rest to pop in a couple of 50's I hope.

Now then, I'd better start thinking about presents....

• Minni, it seems that children's raison d'??tre is to give stress to their parents.

Keir, I'd take a beating if it meant I would have some hair......and which end of the seal do you have to put your foot in?
  • moofmoof ✭✭✭
    16 miles done for me this morning, a bit windy out there.

Now off to do all my Xmas shopping. I do like to get it out of the way early, no point in leaving it to the last minute.
  • Good efforts this morning from OO and Moof. Much drier and milder down here for my gentle 4m recovery run. 

Heading up to North Yorkshire early tomorrow so hoping to get a couple of good runs in while I'm up there.

• Little bit windy here as well, although from the weather forecast the north has it much worse than us.  18M on a hilly route done and dusted (8.12m/m, so steady rather than spectacular) to bring up 62M for the week.

• Dreadful news  OO.

Nice 18 miler banked Jools.

Windy up here - early run abandoned due to replacing missing roof bits. Must try and fit it in before it goes dark.

The testing is an endurance pack being a VO2 and an LT test (once now and once again in 6-8 weeks) with a sweat test for around 200 notes all in. I think  its about 150 quid without the sweat test. The bumf suggests that the sodium depletion varies by 800% between individuals due to sodium concentration and sweat rates. I dont sweat a lot and only tend to get cramps if i was trolleyed the night before a long run. Might just stick with the endurance testing for now.