Sub 3h15

Comments

• It is, quite literally, blowing a gale here in Newcastle. So clearly today was a great day to head to the absolute windiest spot in the city - the Town Moor (which is also largely flooded and resembles marshland in many places) to run up the two big hills. Repeatedly. Hard work doesn't even come close to describing it. 6 monster hill climbs with the wind trying to blow us back down again for 4 of them (then we tried it in reverse but the steepness of the downhills that way was terrifying given that every 3rd step would find you knee deep in a concealed puddle or bog patch). We managed a spectacular average pace of 10.10 miling for 4 miles. I am knackered and I was covered in mud from the chest down. 

And now I need to go out to deliver a card to a relative about half a mile away, but the thought of those 44mph winds is making me cower in the house! 

• Some nice long runs being posted.

I was going to conplain about the wind here, it made my pace control really difficult, but it is best if I don't. 15.5 miles in 2 hours. Last 8 miles at 7:23mm (PMP +7%)

• Got a 7.5-miler in in bright sunshine this morning, a bit achy after yesterday's exertions.

Eloquent, articulate, witty, entertaining, engaging, wise...I salute you Poacher. A great interview!

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

14.5m with 72mins @ 80%HR max. Still and mild here, although we did have some homemade jerusulam artichoke and carrot soup for lunch, so expecting plenty of wind later. image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Some nice running, Jools, Keir, Ant and Scooby

12.25m here at ave of 8:12, nice little base run....

• SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

Impressive speed for the time of year and the sparsity of training Ant - would bode well for a Spring Marathonimage

Lots of goods runs been posted in testing conditions.  Windy here but not that strong and apart from a few puddles relatively firm underfoot on the cycle trail where I do most of my long runs.

15 miles today at avg 8:17 m/m to give me 54 miles for the week and the 1st week of P&D completed.  I'd forgotten how hard this marathon training business was - so only another 17 weeks to goimage 

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Amongst the seasonal banter etc there is the sense of serious business being prepared for with some fine efforts in the inclement weather. Pride of place for the week belongs to Jools I would say, with a 62 total inc an 18 and a pb. 
    Just listened to the full MT with Poacher - inspirational stuff indeed, and it has made me think; when I finally get back properly, should I chuck Poacher's "hand grenade" under my training? I know what to do to complete the mara distance in a reasonable manner, I also know I'm becoming a bit slower each time, and of course this is probably normal after 27 years of doing it, but maybe I should just have the nads to try a different kind of approach just for once and see what happens?  (but you'll never get me going over the 26.2 distance)!!   

• BirchBirch ✭✭✭

HaHa !  I did say never after my first mara, so maybe you're right !  btw, have you entered the Nationals yet? 

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Sounds like an odd choice of session Speedy, hpe it was worth it.

Imprerssive Speed Joolska- I could not go that quick right now.

OK presents wrapped. But I need more for Mrs OOimage only one present so far.

• Character building OO. 

Yes, Birch, my club have entered me. And also into the Midlands Champs apparently. I'm going to be getting a LOT of XC practice next year, so hopefully the hard work today will count for something. 

• DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Some nice solid base building going on here. Been rediculously busy this past few days and have barely had time to lurk, let alone post!

Enjoyed all the MT banter a few days ago. made interesting listening!

Managed 16.5 this afternoon at 7;57mm (final 5 were a little quicker). Very mild weather!

Jools - going very well already!

Keir/PRF - shall be following your new thread with great interest! Congrats!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    I've still not listened to Poacher's interview.

I've had an exhausting week but more from partying than running. The long run has been switched to tomorrow so hopefully it'll be less windy.

Poacher - couldn't face cooking tonight so we nipped to the new hotel not far from your Northumberland residence. Very nice - I can highly recommend it.
  • BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Speedy, today's session definitely will count (physically and mentally) - you'll almost certainly face big hills and mud in your XC races - and someone once said sessions like that don't build character - they reveal it . . . . .

• Some good efforts the especially Speedy - I KNEW you loved the Town Moor really. Nice one too Joolska.

There will be plenty of people entering spring mara training next week from scratch - those putting in some hard work now are quids in, it's well worth it.

Keir thanks for the (f)artichoke info, might avoid Kent for a while. Mind you there's a whole patch of the little beauties waiting on the allotment to be dug up, yum.

Minni - which hotel do you mean?

Ant/Birch - hmm, the thing with blowing everything up is that you still have to work out which bits have landed in good places and which in daft ones. And sadly there is no substitute for going out there and hurting.

Birch - OK so you have been injured and so on, but your racing pedigree and experience are second to none among those who post here, so I can't see why you shouldn't be ambitious to get back. You never know what could happen. I have a spare box of grenades if you want them....
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Hogs Head at Alnwick. Very handy and very nice.
  • SJ - Sorry to hear the news.
    Lorenzo - good luck with the new job. Take care out there.
    Ant - 20C?! That's a good enough excuse for running a bit slower than plannedimage
    OOlg - that is just tragic.
    Well done to everyone who got out in the lovely weather this weekend for parkrun, XC or training.
    Just a recovery run for me on Saturday to finish a 44 mile week. A nicely timed cut-back week has just begun with 6 miles @ 8:11 m/m this morning. Hoping to just sneak in 1500 miles this year. Have a great Christmas everyone and a peaceful New Year.

• Speedy: I shall see you at the Midlands.  My willpower will already have been tested the night before (meal out and then pub crawl for a friend's birthday; I hope I leave for home after the mealimage) and I dread to think what time the team minibus will leave...

Only a recovery run for me today, which I'll do shortly.  The weather is so inviting todayimage

• Good luck with that one Jools! I hate it when people have birthdays at such inconvenient times. Actually it's my own birthday on Friday 25th, and I have no intention whatsoever of going out drinking. How sad am I?!! We will have no team, and I've specified that I require a lift if I'm going to run it, but apparently that's OK so I should be there, as the sole female club representative. 

• TRTR ✭✭✭

DS2/Malcs - whats the plan now then folks, see as you didnt get picked in the recent RW threads either ?

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Friday the 25th Speedy

9m in the mud and steep hills. My favourite hill is next to the channel tunnel terminal. It is so steep the challenge is to keep moving rather than walking. I slipped and had to crawl at 3 places. A real max pulse hill. 

• 5M easy done and dusted.

Keir: we are talking about January - Mids XC champs are on Saturday 26th in Stafford.  Sounds like a tough run.  I am vaguely following your thread (good luck with the sub 2.50) but struggle to keep up with this one and the sub 3 when both are in full swing...

• Hello everybody. I see some interesting news, some shocking, and a general dose of inspirational folks willing to get outside and kick the teeth out of the weather.

It's been a bit lardy and slack here. One swim managed, but that's it. However, I have been to a bike shop and bought my Christmas present: a Tacx Flow turbo trainer. I may need to clean the bike before it gets used tomorrow. This toy will hopefully help avoid the British of the worst weather.

Running? Guilty conscience. Shall we say that Jools has nothing to fear.

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

More shocking news here, just got back from my run this morning to find out work mate died in his van last night, no known cause, he was only 36.

6.25m ran with a few faster miles thrown in

Take care and Happy Christmas all

• RFJ: that's really sad.  And so young!

• Not many runs to go in 2012, can count then on the fingers of one hand now. 1,650 miles done so won't even be at 1,700 and I was aiming to beat 2,160 from last year and maybe even 2,400. A lot is hidden in those numbers so when I was running I was doing a lot more and better but a lot of months with less than 100 miles just kills the totals.

Apropos nothing much but just to counter the doom and gloom of the youth of today I was chatting to daughter #1 yesterday. She is 3rd year university and has just got a PGCE place to study to become a PE teacher. She already has coaching qualifications in gymnastics, athletics, football and poolside lifeguard and has been teaching sport since she was 14 years old so is well qualified. For her PGCE she needs a placement and she was worried about where it would be as if it was a long way from Exeter (where her course is) it would be a big commute each day or mean renting a room for a term in Exeter, then one close to placement, then one back in Exeter. So I asked her, "Well, don't you know any schools in Exeter that do placements?" Turns out she already teaches at three schools in Exeter, all of which do placements, and is on first name terms with the department heads. So I go "Well, pull a few strings" and she goes, "Do you think anyone would mind?" Made me feel quite proud in a world where me comes first so often.

• Sorry to her some of the sad news....

Heard your mt interview Poacher as I chugged round in the rain yesterday. Have to say I really enjoyed it. Great common sense, humility and fascinating to hear your insights. Top banana sir

Strongly advise anyone who hasn't already to pop over to keir's thread. Some heavyweight posters chiming in on there already and looks like it should be a good 'un
  • MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Marathon training started for me today with 18m on a hilly route. Wouldn't normally do 18 on a Monday but Christmas parties and hangovers have pushed everything back a bit! image

Have a lovely Christmas everyone.
  • OO & RFJ what tragic news bad at any time of the year,but Xmas time is truly to horrendous.

Good to see so many clocking up a load of muddy miles am very envious as i have not run for the last few days,.Christmas do,s family gatherings and a best man speech has put running on hold for few more days.

PMJ yes, sometimes the youth still surprises us oldies now and then, sounds like you have a talented and well brought up young lady!

Have a great Xmas everyone

Tempted to say happy holidays, but I daren't
  • Sorry to hear the news RFJ, sudden death happens so rarely in adults. My thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues. 

Minni - you're well ahead of me. I haven't run further than 16 miles since Munich. I don't know how you're fitting in so much training around all the partying you seem to be doing!