Options

Sub 3h15

Comments

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Yes have a nice time tonight folks and here's to a super fast 2013.

16 weeks on the wagon starts in 5.5 hrs....
  • Options
    BirchBirch ✭✭✭

Well, as it is stats time, I may as well bid for the thread wooden spoon with my only 3 digit total since starting to record my runs in Jan1986 - a meagre 787 (300 of which were done by 9th Feb). Even in the other major-injury blighted year of 2008, 1150 was managed.
    One race - the ill-fated Boston DNF.  (7 runs in 6 weeks prior) .
    Speaking of mileage - 2700 is a fine total, Speedy -  highest ever here was 2550 (49mpw average), so annoyingly missing the 50pw avg in a calendar year  - yours is satisfyingly circa 52mpw, so excellent work.
    Finally, Happy New Year to all - keep on keeping on - may you all achieve your goals, or at least have fun trying. Many may think we're a bit crazy, but I think we quite like it that way . . . .

• Options

Minni - Seriously? 16 weeks with no wine!!! image

AR - Hope that you have recovered from yesterday's tumble.

OGL - My average mileage for VLM was around 48mpw with longest week of 55 miles.  My legs can't handle high mileage so I only do 3 x 3-4 mile recovery runs in between 3 tough days.

SBD - Sounds as though are well along the comeback trail.  Fingers crossed it continues.

Well done Gul on getting to the 1500 mile mark.  Excellent!!

That's a tough session for this time of the campaign Moof.  14 secs ahead of last year is a good sign though.

Some very good stats being posted.  My scores on the doors for 2012 are:

1533 miles
    2 Races & 2 PBs (VLM: 2.49.44 & Leicester HM 79.08)
    1 World Record

Goals for 2013:
    Try to run a 10K (only ran one very hilly race so PB is 38.30).
    Sub-60 10m
    Sub 6m/m HM
    Secure GFA at VLM.

Enjoy the new year/Hogmany celebrations everyone image

• Options
    Keir, I'm following Don Fink's Intermediate plan as recommended by Cheerful Dave (thanks Minni for the contact!). The base period ranges from 6 to about 12 hrs per week. Gets more later! At the moment it's a couple of 1hr swim sessions per week (today's was 300m warn up, 8x50m drills, 4x125m off 20s, 4x175m off 30s, 4x125m off 20s, 8x50m drills, 200m cool down) 2 shorter bike sessions 30-60min each (one of which done as a brick) and one longer ride (1hr45 last week) plus 3 runs of an hour or so. At this stage pretty much everything is done in HR zone 2 so fairly steady going.

Superb totals seem to have been racked up by all through the year! I am unfortunately too embarrassed to work mine out.

Year review

Good mileage start in jan feb, HM PB of 1:22:57, injured throughout march, Mara PB in April 3:12:48, 5K PB in June 18;27. 1st vet in offroad HM in July (1st ever prize image ) 1st Triathlon completed in September, injured in October, November, December image

Goals for 13 - to go long and hard and hope nothing breaks

Happy New Year to all of you, you are all heroes
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    Scooby-was it you this year that came off the wagon with half a dozen pints of Guinness?
  • Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Happy New Year- but why are you all stopping drinking?

• Options
    I've just started, been working and the brain hurts. It's vino o'clock. Hurrah!

Interesting mileage totals, if you take out the newer or injured types, and the high mileage outliers like Speedy and presumably Jase, there are clusters around the 1600m mark and the 2100-2200m mark. After averaging about 1500 over the last 3yrs I have moved up to a much higher 2159 in 2012 and it's paid off in spades. Maybe there's no substitute for putting in the miles. But it's very impressive to see what someone like Martin can achieve off relatively low overall mileage.

Highs: avoided injury. Blew up the training. Including some splits within races, recorded PBs at all distances from 5k to 100m. Unexpectedly knocked off sub3 mara and really enjoyed being near the front of the V50 pack rather in the middle of the V45s.

Lows: first ever DNF, and in the big target race of the year. Pah. Too busy to race often, only 4 maras this year.

But most of all, thanks to all of you for your insight, wit, generous support to fellow runners, and occasional filth in this long and rambling conversation. Good running in 2013.
  • Options

Right, quickly, while I get a chance - HAPPY NEW YEAR TO ALL

The race was good, really windy, and a change in the course, with one kilometre extra just for a laugh...so intotal 6.6 kms which I dragged myself round in 26.07, Garmin time. Took ages to get over the start line and spent much of the time running with a chicken and a cow. Finished feeling fairly good, last km in 3:40.

1,600 miles for me this year.

Right, now to get pi``èd.

• Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

You are right Poacher. Interesting mileage categories. Where is PMJ to do some anaylsis.

Nice farm yard run Ant.

Almost time for bed for me. Happy Christmas and best wishes to you and your loved ones for 2013. 

• Options

Nice end to the year Ant

Just before i'm incapable, Happy New Year to all.

Everyone's stats got me curious to see what I did.

Total Miles Jan 8th to 31st Dec: 2117
    Av Pace: 7:55 min/m
    Ave Distance: 8.1m
    PB's: HM 1:22:10m Mara 2:59:26

High Lights: 1st run - from top of Mount Kilimanjaro back to camp, Wales Marathon, Winning 1st MV40 in off-road HM and 1st MV40 @ Wales Marathon

Low lights: being injured off and on since mid Sept, ending 2012 with swollen ankle (post Thames Path fall!), getting too wrapped up in marathon targets in October and putting myself through two marathons in a week

Goal for 2013: get injury free and enjoy

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

well done Ant.

OK just off to Skiddaw.... 

• Options

Lorenzo - good run yesterday and nice stats.
    LR - a good year and hopefully a good recovery now beginning.
    Keir - plan is still to do GER (Peterborough HM) in the autumn.
    Mennania - sensible move.
    OOlg - sorry to hear about the dishwasher. Have a great time running Skiddaw today.
    SD - good mileage for the year. Be careful.
    RFJ - impressive stats, especially all those parkruns, not to mention 29 races.
    Minni - stonking mileage; that's some going.
    FW - those are some mean looking goals you have - all the best.
    Jools - any more track races planned for 2013?
    Birch - hope 2013 is a good one for you.
    Martin - you know it's a good year when you can say you bagged a world record!
    SJ - hope you can bounce back from injury for 2013.
    Poacher - excellent year.
    Ant - nicely raced, Sir.
    AR - more very impressive stats. Well done.
    Happy New Year to everyone. Started it by oversleeping and not out till 5:30 for a slow 10 miler @ 8:48 m/m.

• Options
    OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Well I made it back safely from Skiddaw. Will post more later but need some food and a shower.

• Options
    Happy new year everyone. Just another easy 5 miler for me this morning. Lovely weather for once and only a hangover took a bit of the shine off of it.
  • Options

Happy New Year one and all

OO Happy to hear you got back safe

Gul Bad habits this year, you have changed!!!

Moof that sounds like me, but half a dozen pints sounds a little low.

Relatively quiet night last night. Just about to pop out for my 11 miler.

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    First race of the 2013 done! 3 mile fell race from the bottom of a big hill to the finish line at the top before jogging back down (with the mud and rocks it was actually easier running up than down). Dodgy looking guy with beautiful dogs was loitering around the start area - I let you off this one FW but you'll do the next one with me!

Anyone else racing today?
  • Options
    KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Disgraceful Gul

Impressive Minni

Waiting in anticipation OO

15m with just over 11 @ 80% max HR (a bit under MP) which came out at 7.11m/m. Had to pause the Garmin near the local zoo when a guy stopped me to see if I'd seen his Cocker Spaniel. Wierdly someone stopped me at the same place just before Xmas looking for their their missing Collie. I hope their isn't a hungery tiger on the loose!

• Options

I hope that tiger doesn't develop a taste for runners Keir!

Intervals for me this morning, I was rubbish. I had nothing in my legs, mucus in my lungs and wimped out after 3 reps. Oh dear. 

• Options
    DS2DS2 ✭✭✭

Happy New Year everyone.

Nice going Keir.

Speedy - intervals on New years Day? I was happy to jog an easy 4.5 just to say I'd run!

Gul - letting everyone down! I'd only just made it to my pit as you got out!

And Minni - how did you fare in the race?

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Turns out I won a prize in the race but didn't go to the pub at the end to claim it. Not sure what the prize was for but it must have been a V40 one I think.

Speedy - it's early days.

Can't believe you slept in Gul - not a good start to the year.image
  • Options
    Tigers! Speaking of which, I went to see Life of Pi yesterday. Beautifully filmed.

40 mins running round the woods this morning - glorious
  • Options
    moofmoof ✭✭✭
    The girls on here are hardcore, speedy doing intervals and Minni fell racing.

Nice jogging from the rest of you.

I managed 11 miles this morning in the bright sunshine which slightly aggravated my thumping head. I was going to do Newbury parkrun but couldn't find my barcode, couldn't get PC and printer to work etc etc. Just as well really as 5k of fast running wouldn't have been a pretty sight.

Happy New year to all.

Oh and Gul, no slacking now!
  • Options

Happy New Years to you all, and may 2013 exceed your expectations.

The day certainly started in a most pleasant fashion. Despite my best efforts last night there was no hangover. My New Year resolution (once again) is to cut down on the intake. The sun was shining, the air was fresh. Let's go for a run.

Race: on road 5 miler. Out and back with hillyness starting after a mile and a half.
    Target? Hmm, being so long out of the circuit this was a wild guess, but 35:00 would see me ecstatic. 7 minute miling is something I have barely touched in 3 years.

Bang: The leaders are off. The second pack is off. I'm Larry Loner. Run by perceived effort.
    Mile 1: 6:31 with HR 144. At that pace this is going to be amusing for the crowd and his dog.
    Mile 2: 6:59 with HR 154. That hill is always a bit of a bitch. I took it steadily.
    halfway 16:55 - I'm working for this one, and am passed by the First Lady at the marker. No, not Michelle Obama.
    MIle 3: 6:53 with HR 152. The hilly sections are now done. So am I. Some Young Turk arrives on my shoulder, and offers encouragement to the Old Git.
    Mile 4: 6:37 with HR 154. Actually I kept looking and it was showing 160+ which is a bit too high. Young Turk being such a pet. I'm sounding rough, but know that I have this one bagged. I can hear that he's on the ragged edge, so all I have to do is to time my big push to perfection. I elect for the short sprint from the last corner, 150m, and at the appropriate time give it Max Welly. My short sprint is just that. I'm running 100m to the line at my previous pace, just hoping that I've done enough. I had. The Old Git stuffs the Young Turk.
    Mile 5: 6:33, ave HR160 and a max of 167.
    Total time 33:42 Pure Ecstacy. This is, of course, a Category PB as a V50, as it's my first proper comeback race.

• Options

Pretty hardcore to attempt intervals on new years day Speedy! Should have gone for a long lie in like Gul. Great racing Minni

13 today, collection of injuries felt good, and managed 6m in between HM and MP to help blow some cobwebs away. Liberal use of ice and rest, and all is well with 2013.

Looking forward to OO's report ...

• Options
    MinniMinni ✭✭✭
    Fanbloodytastic Blisters. image what a way to start the year!
  • Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

5:30 for New Year's day is still pretty insane Gul.

Speed was also the last thing on my mind as well Moof after a few too many drinks last night.  Eventually managed a gentle 11 miles at just over 8 m/m - strangely enough this is the fastest average pace I've run for some time.  Onwards and upwards.

Nice Prize Minni but I think, on balance, Fraser had the right approach.

Happy New Year to One and All.

• Options
    SBD.SBD. ✭✭✭

x-post: Good racing there Blisters

• Options

Nice racing from Minni and Blisters, and AR - your 13 with 6 between HMP and MP was way more hardcore than my 3 x 0.9 miles!

Finally watched Superstars on iplayer. I didn't understand how they chose who did which event. 

• Options

Just a quick delurk to say Happy New Year all.  I'm not doing a marathon anytime soon and there's so many of you these days that it's hard to keep up, but you're still my favourite place to come for a quick look at what other runners are up to.

NIce racing Blisters.  Also rather pleased with my own 1st race of the year - Serpentine NYD 10k, a great event. Set off thinkning with the extra lard accumulated during Dec I'd have been delighted with sub-40, so plan was to start with 4 min km's and try to maintain.  1st km in 3.45, whoops, 2nd one the same, whoops again, slowed a bit but still sub 4's all the way for 39.10 image, although the youngster who caught me with 400m to go got 38.59image

Anyway, as I say, happy with that.  And Fulham winning away!

Keep on keeping on

• Options
    JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

Just to prove that the girls really are tough, 14 miles for me on undulating Devonian roads this morning.  Bit lung busting at times, but it cleared the head image

Well run, Minni and Gul - delighted to hear you didn't let us down by getting up at 10am or something more human...  Very impressed that Speedy attempted intervals - although I didn't feel too bad this morning I wouldn't have wanted to have been doing really fast running.