Sub 3h15

Comments

• Intervals, HM pace and three racers. Not the quiet start to the year I was expecting.

11 miles for me. Not pretty but done. A few niggles here and there, but nothing of concern.

• Quality racing already - it is going to be an epic year!
  • efc-colefc-col ✭✭✭
    Happy new year to one and all.

Back from a wedding away and am feeling quite fat.

I see everyone else is putting me to shame with great long runs and races.

Will try harder I promise!

Here's to a successful PB and injury free 2013.....
  • RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Jezza, Minni and Blisters well done on your races

Parkrun double here at Andover (21:07) in very wet and boggy conditions followed by 20:04 at Newbury but the legs were a tad tired to get a sub 20 as planned... still just under 8m for the day and some good strength and speed done.

Take care and Happy New Year to you all

• TRTR ✭✭✭

The girls are indeed showing the way, great to see.

Blisters - nice to see you back to racing and getting a bit competitive with the youngsters. Are you still doing Gloucester mara ?

I did 12M myself today.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Mixed fortunes today. Pleased for you Blisters, that run will give you confidence and motivation. Was that a local race Minni, sounds fun and congrats on the podium.

My run up Skiddaw started at 7:30am in the dark from Keswick, after some beer and bubbly the night before, but still felt OK. I put on several layers which made the first climb out of Keswick uncomfortable and sweaty. Then a flat section from gale road car park before the big climb up the steepest section of Skiddaw. After that the route evens out with a steady climb to the summit. I walked on the steepest sections but then ran to the summit. As I got closer to the top in the cloud, conditions deteriorated with sheet ice underfoot and bitter gale force cross wind. It was more scary than physically demanding. In the end I had crouch down and eventually go on hands and knees at the very summit to avoid falling or being blown over. It took me 1 hour 20 from Keswick to the summit, dreadful for a 5 mile run, but this included a few stops and some walking. At the top I sheltered in a Cairn for 10 minutes to regain composure before the descent. I must admit it was pretty terrifying. Visibility was about 30 ft with limited light even at 9am, and not another sole around. But I was the first person at the top in 2013 so a great sense of achievement. A run I've planned for months and worried about for days.      

• Happy new year to all

No running for me but great to see Minni off on her way with a few dozen hardcore fell nutters. I suppose I'll be giving it a bash in 364 days' time

Great racing from Blisters proving the old dog can still do it

Nice stuff from Jezza and RFJ too

Spent the day eating - time to get some proper training done methinks
  • OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

The descent was easy and done in half the time. Time to enjoy the views and reflect on the first day of a new year. Not my best time for running up Skiddaw and not even my toughest run this holiday, but the sense of danger and isolation make it a stand out experience. Today we went on a long family walk (another 8 miles) so my legs feel pretty tired now. 5 mile recovery run planned for the morning then my 50th birthday on the 3rd Jan.

I would guess 2000 miles for 2012. Highlights were the VLM, finally breaking 3 hours and couple of Vet and course PB's through the year. No great running plans for 2013. The main challenge will be preparing to work in Geneva from April- not sure what that will do to my running but nothing positive I expect.  

• Minni - good fell race; shame you missed the prize.
    Keir - great MLR; looking promising.
    Speedy - well done for even attempting intervals!
    SJ - nice day for a run in the woods; no bears?
    Moof - well done on managing to get 11 miles in.
    Blisters - fantastic racing; great start to the New Year.
    AR - pleased to hear all seems well.
    SBD - good running.
    Jezza - great 10k and just think - it took that youngster 6 miles to catch you!
    Jools - sounds like a lovely run for New Year's Day.
    SD - nice one; just be careful.
    EFC-Col - hope you get the PBs and no injuries.
    RFJ - good going on tired legs.
    TR - good miles for New Year's Day.
    OOlg - that does sound scary; well done. For a minute, I thought you were going to say it was brilliant sunshine at the top! Take care now.
    FW - good carb-loading.
    3 mile recovery run for me this morning @ 8:56 m/m.

• JoolskaJoolska ✭✭✭

OO: I ducked out of some scrambling on Dartmoor yesterday and on the 30th because I had an attack of the wibbles.  Just completely lost my nerve (and although it was a bit slippy and windy conditions weren't really that bad).  Yours sounds like a pretty magic experience, though, and worth toughing out.  First at the summit!

Off for my last run in Devon in a bit and then heading back to Bristol.

• Bike ItBike It ✭✭✭

Happy New Year Everyone!

I hope everyone is running well.  I just came back from SA and certainly am happy that Comrades is a winter race.  Summer is hot at 30-35C daytime temps. I got heatstroke after 2 of my runs, frequently had to 'adopt a run/walk strategy' even on short runs and even got up to run at first light.  Just too hot for me.  And there's also the lightening storms - you definently don't want to be caught out in one of those as there is a lot of ground stikes and around 2 cows a year are killed on the farm by lightening.

I've been running on dirt roads.  Some are soft and sandy and a real pleasure to run and they range up to rocky and cambered which are much more trickly.  I came home with a minor achilles twinge from running on a stony and hilly dirt road last Thursday so I've taken the week off from running and got the weights and kettelbell from the garage - need to do more strength training anyway.

Finally got home after a 14 hour flight delay to discover my fridge freezer had failed - there are many nicer things than cleaning up after one of those.  And then I climbed on the scales.....

Happy running all

• Impressive stuff on the hills from OO and Minni - sounds as though conditions were a bit wild!

Also envious of Jools yomping around the Devon hills.

RFJ - how did you manage a parkrun double? Clearly different times of the day, but that's some effort to hop in the car and head from one to the other.

I've got the rest of the week off so had plenty of time to get out for 10 miles this morning. Not quite in the fell runners' league, but a few ups and downs to get my teeth into.

• Bike It - x-post. Welcome back!! Not great news on the freezer (I know what it's like!) and I hope the Achilles isn't too serious, but sounds as though you had an interesting time in SA.

• OO and Minni are well hard - nails, some would say.

Great racing from Blisters and Jezza, earning respect from the local yoof.

Welcome back, Bike It.

After my race on NYE I had a day off (image) yesterday, and then dragged myself out this morning for what I hoped would be a nice, easy 10-miler. Howver, I felt rubbish all the way round and after 5.5 miles I'd had enough. Can I please just lie in front of Season Three of The Sopranos? I'm tired...and it's only 2nd January!

• MinniMinni ✭✭✭

Ant - I am so sorry I missed your chicken and cow race.  Sounds like fun?!!  And no, this is no time for rest... image

OO - it was the Simonside Hills.  Your journey up Skiddaw sounds impressive, if a little scary.  Great way to start the New Year.

Right, today's schedule said 8m easy.  I decided to run completely to feel (FW style).  Started my garmin and tucked it away under my rain jacket - yes its raining again. image  Out and back to a point that I knew was roughly 4 miles away.  I wanted to make sure I kept it in conversational pace so did a few bouts of singing out load to my ipod image its ok there was nobody about. image

Result - 8.5m @ 7:32 which is faster than my previous marathon pb and almost bang on MP training pace.  imageimageimage  Celebrated by changing into my fell shoes and doing another 2.5 in the hills with the dogs - very slow bringing it to 11 for the day.

• PoacherPoacher ✭✭✭

Ant - Vito & Pussy both used to be slim and fit - then they took one day off running and look what happened. Get out there.

Nice effort Minni, setting a good example to Ant

• Just popping in to say Happy New Year.

2012 no races entered therefore none ran. Mileage pretty p*$$ poor.

Will pull myself together and pop in more often to motivate me for the 2013 Perth Marathon.

Bike-it I can empathise with it being too bloody hot and lightning storms as it is all I seem to encounter here in the sunburnt country 'oz' at the moment.

Just returned from a 30min or so jaunt after work in a rather balmy 36 degrees, after spending the afternoon sweating buckets playing around with some nuts and tight flanges out in the bush (literally true!). (Keir/Fraser that was for your benefit)

Wanted to stop and walk but to use an old sage's advice 'to chuck a grenade under it' and suppose the opposite was true (thanks Poacher), perhaps dying on my ass is actually good for me......

As you were.
  • Impressive racing Minni (and more impressive stuff today as well), Jezza & Blisters.  Always good to start the year off well.

80 minutes for a 5 miler OO; what are you playing at???  Really pleased that after such a harsh ascent that you were the first person up there.  Well done.

Sounds like a tough but enjoyable run Jools.

Good to see you back to posting early doors Gul.

Welcome home Bike-It.  I'm sure you'll soon be missing the 30-35 degree temperatures.  Fingers crossed your achilles is better soon.

Ant - Now is the time to take a break if you need it.  Early doors and a couple of runs missed won't harm anything in the long run.  Actually just trying to make myself feel less guilty about not being able to run today as back at work!!!

• Happy New Year everyone - Shame this is still not an Olympic year!

Looks like I have got a bit of a catch up read to do on here. Not been running much as I'm still feeling the effects of what I thought was a cracked rib and turned out to be some kind of pulled muscle on the lungs/rib cage. Coupled together with falling over a wire mattress frame on Xmas Eve my legs have felt a bit tendor too. Just about made 30 miles for last week and mara training starts next Monday, so a bit disappointed on the build up.

• KeirKeir ✭✭✭

Pull yourself together Windy. I know there are some lovely runs around Fremantle. No excuses!

• Well hello people and a very Happy New Year to you.

I thought that I'd make a bit of a reappearance being that it's new year and all... and 16weeks to VLM.

2012 has been a hectic year for me so not been able to post here as much as I'd have liked but I have been lurking a little here and also on Keirs new thread, which I am enjoying greatly - some lively debate already. And good to see a lot of the old faces still around.

I have been running though (between a bit of illness and injury) and that seems to be going ok, albeit I had grand aspirations to be a little further on with my campaign than I am but things could be worse. I won't bore you with the details but I'll try and blog again soon.

The short story is that I've managed to get a ballot place in VLM this year - I won't be nailing on a time as yet other than to say I'll be looking for at least 3:09:59.

Also, being a P&D fan for some years now it may suprise a few to hear that actually I'm going to mix it up a bit this year and try something new. image  I was given for my birthday last year Paula R's new book which although quite simplistic in some areas there are a couple of nice plans in it including a 16week "fast marathon" plan. I've studied this plan and it seems quite sensible so I'm going to use it as a general blueprint. Intersestingly I've not found much comment on the book on these boards (not sure if that is a good or bad thing!). I'll try and put up a few more details over the next few days but as a basic principal it seems to have a good mix of distance work with some longer interval sessions. No weekly mileage in the plan given but totting up the sessions it's generally about 50-60 with some higher weeks probably topping out at around 75. It also has prescribed gym sessions in the plan for core/weights etc which is a new one on me.

Oh and I've aleady swapped out one of her weekly sessions with a 10m progression run... I wonder where that idea came from?!  image

So, will do a mega read back of the last week or so now. But in the mean time - keep running!

• Windy Welcome back and keep posting

Bike it  As above

Fingers As above

Minni Mightily impressive run today

OO Great, if slightly scary, achievement

In solidarity with Ant I decided to not risk a run too. Not being lazy, being sensible.

• Come on Scooby, get your a**e out of the door. I'm going for a six-miler later, once I've done the Three Kings shopping. It's like Christmas shopping, you just have more time to worry about it.

• Happy new year all.

Great race report Blisters, must have felt good to smash your random target!

Nice to see you popping in Jezza. Well done on the solid time.

My miles were about 400 down on last year after a relatively lazy oct, nov, December. Also as there was no autumn marathon meant lower mileage anyway. Finished on 2921. I expect it'll be north of 3500 this year though.

Pleasing to get a solid week of 84 miles last week, including a 17 with 8@5:41s. no idea how I kept that pace at Edinburgh the whole way as I was proper blowing at the end. This year has got off to a good start 29 miles in the bag already.

Windy, great to see you popping in. As a civil engineering graduate I still chuckle when I look back to my university days where I was forever 'considering the flange'.
  • I feel like I've gone back in time with the return of Jezza's racing, Windy's innuendos and FINgers eulogising about P&D. Where's MM gone?

FINgers - sounds like we need another meet up on the streets of London to pace each other round to 3:09:59. I'm up for it if you are. Trust you'll be sticking around here between now and April.

Ant - hope the shopping went well. Presumably gold, incense and myrrh shops were doing a good trade.
  • KeirKeir ✭✭✭
    Lorenzo wrote (see)
    I feel like I've gone back in time with the return of Jezza's racing, Windy's innuendos and FINgers eulogising about P&D. Where's MM gone?
    I did speak to MM just before Xmas. I know he's not running at the moment, but has lurked occassionally.

• Lorenzo - It was freezing gold and I got incensed, so it was myrrhder.Still, job doneimage.

• OO54OO54 ✭✭✭

Yes it was scarey up there Joolska. Plenty of people have died on Skiddaw over the years and I think I felt their spirits . 4 mile recovery today, calves a bit tight.

Just a few pre 50 hours left image

• RFJRFJ ✭✭✭

Windy / Bike It and FINgers welcome back to the fold

Lorenzo Andover was at 0900 and Newbury was at 1000, and yes was very tight, and is only do able on New Years Day.... as parkrun allow events to be held at either 0900 or 1000 so with a bit of planning and arm twisting with RD's doubles can be achieved.... its good fun but quite hard too as well.

OO - Sounds a great achievment, something that I could not do as cannot cope with sheer drops / knife-edges unless tied off

• Hello to FINgers , Windy (great to see you can still rub people up the wrong way without coming to a sticky end) and Bike It

Pull your fingers out Ant and Scooby - no laziness will be tolerated on here- think I'm chanelling Minni

Scary sounding mileage RJ - I'm sure you'll do it though

5 miles today in the wind on the fells - does that count as nails hard too ?? Prbably not eh...